Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are you a 'lipstick' farm girl?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you a 'lipstick' farm girl? Next Topic
Page: of 4

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  06:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Admittedly, one of the things that attracks me to MJF is the fact that MaryJane always looks so good. Her own sense of style, feminine, well groomed, practical and youthful (despite being a grandma!). I'm not entirely proud to admit this...but I want to look good while I'm tilling the back 40! This hit me like a ton of bricks this morning when I was loading the co-op order into my jeep for my hubby to drop off on his way to work (he was in a suit, I didn't want him to get dirty) and realized I hadn't combed my hair yet (or showered for that matter). Now, I was headed in for my daily grooming as soon as he left (it was still pretty early), but I have to wonder if he looked out at me shlepping crates into the jeep in my muck shoes and thought, "What happened to the girl I married?" I'm starting to wonder that myself. I use to polish my nails for goodness sake! So here is my question to my farmgirl sisters, "How do you do it?" How do you do all you have to do, and stay pulled together in the process? I'm anxiously waiting your response--meanwhile, I'm going to go out and muck the chicken coop

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Edited by - clux64 on Sep 25 2008 2:41:26 PM

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey! I found your question so interesing because I'd wondered the same about the women out West where I live, who practice the disappearing lifestyle of ranching and farming, yet look like runway models, a la Mary Jane. I actually wrote an article about these women, dubbing them Grassroots Royalty.

I remain postively enamored at their ability to saddle up, herd, plant, harvest, change a flat and more, all the while in lipstick...the one indispensable carried in a pocket - apron or jean. Farmgirl. Cowgirl. Always girl.

EllynAnne
Tie One On...an apron, of course!www.apronmemories.com

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:32:08 AM  Show Profile
I heard that Mrs Zigfield, (her husband produced the Zigfield follies, lots of beautiful women) would get up an hour earlier than her husband and do the make up, hair and everything so when her hubby went off to work the last thing he saw was a beautiful woman. I would think that you wouldn't have to go to that extreme. I would however suggest that you do your best to look good when he comes home from work. Ole Ron and I have been married 52 years. I worked most of those years. Most of the time I wasn't home for several days at a time. I took early retirement and for the last 15years of his career, was happy to do the farm wife thing. Chicken coops, canning, brush hogging the pastures, you name it. But made a point to get a good supper on the table and get myself lookin good by 5:30 p.m.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I believe in painted toes, a nice lip gloss and mascara. It makes me feel pulled together quickly, even if I am covered in sweat and poo, I feel pretty!!! LA LA LA LA!!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
For some it is in the Gene~ they wake up looking like that I swear.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Rene',
I missed that gene~ and I don't even have farm shores to do,I am most to be pitied! Thanks for the chuckle. I too believe they wake up looking like that...

Belle, I am like you, I make sure there is a good supper on the table and I am presentable by then ...

EllynAnne, I know some Grassroots Royalty, study in beauty...

Heather, I am with you, simple but feels good and girlie...

Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  08:02:39 AM  Show Profile
I wake up looking like I could scare a bear out of the cabin .
I still wear makeup going into town, but it doesn't help .

I put on nail polish for the first time in a very long time for our DD wedding, you know it might have looked better if I cleaned the garden dirt out from under my nails : /

I have long hair like Mary Jane , and a grandma too, I tried the braided look, nope didn't work, back to the bun, its the ol Ma Kettle look for me.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  08:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Not that I can say I am pulled together all the time, but I find asking the person who cuts my hair to do something "wash and wear" so if I don't have time to dry and primp and all the other girly stuff, at least my hair will settle right with just a simple brushing. Also if I find I like a lip gloss color I will usually stock up on 3 or 4. One for the purse, one for the jean jacket, one for the car and one for home. That way I increase my odds of being able to touch up.

Also if you do use some sort of lip balm, go ahead and get a tinted one. It won't be as drastic as a full on lipstick but it will give you a little bit of color.

I also find the mineral makeups fast and easy. I have been converted to them wholeheartedly. In less than five minutes I can have my "face" on, brush my hair and be getting dressed. I think it takes longer for my husband to shave and get dressed! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile
goodness. This thread definately caught my attention! As an esthetician, I am constantly making others look good, but as a farmgirl, I am sorely lacking in that department...I dont work in a slaon anymore so I havent "done" anything in quite awile. Now that I work at a hatchery, I just throw on a ballcap and go. Today even, day off and I havent' gussied up. Wow. This is like a slap in the head! thank you! And I'm sure my hubby will thank you as well. Off to the shower....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  08:21:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying not to "let myself go" too much. I wear tinted lip glass or lipstick and mascara. I can't decide which way I'm going with the hair. I like it in a 1920's bob style, but it is too long and bushy at the moment. Am I gonna dye it or go salt and pepper? my big decision is still hangin' over me

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  08:34:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow! This was a cold splash of water in my face! I used to get up before my husband, comb my hair, reapply mascara and slip back into bed so I looked like I did when I got in the night before! Three children later you should SEE how I look getting IN to bed! Lord, how did we have 3 kids? (It was dark, I suppose!) Ok, just because I am home schooling my last kid and not working doesn't mean I can't AT LEAST wear something besides sweats when he comes home. Did I mention he is a professor at a big university - surrounded by coeds? Yea, I needed this! We celebrate 25 years in Jan. I've got 3 months to get back in the habit of giving a sh*t how I look!!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Ha, my nickname among family is Miss Swab-n-Dob, and among old coworkers Luscious Lips, for my never being without a compact and lipstick. Mind you I am not on of those women who is all about looks or spends an hour getting ready every day. My a.m. routine is 15 minutes flat, dressing to made up. Since I was a teenager I have always been into lipstick. And a big part of it was my admiration for the Rosie the Riveter era WWII women, who wore coveralls and worked hard but always had perfect lips and eyebrows. Have you ever seen all those old photos? Stunning. They were "ladies" to be sure, and I bet most of them did it just for themselves.

After I started working from home I went through a 2-month slob phase where I was in PJ's 24/7 and makeup was not even on the radar. I snapped out of it and went back to my lipstick andLevi's. I honsetly feel I have more energy when I look "done".

Time for a touch up...

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  08:54:55 AM  Show Profile
This topic is one i have wanted to start but was afraid to.

The last mag. got me to thinking if MJ really does wear all that white frilly cute stuff outside??? If I put all that on and stepped out the door, the first thing to hit me would be dog paw prints on my chest. Then out to feed chickens there'd be a chicken foot print on the shoulder. Then to feed pigs, I'd get a few pig snout prints on the backs of the legs. Ok I'm looking real pretty by the time I get to the goats to milk them. Then on to give calves their milk buckets and the run back to the gate. There would be calf slobber on my butt now.

I don't own a shirt that does not have a stain on it. My hair is long in the cute pony tail all the time. I only put makeup on if some one is here or I'm going to town. I never polish my nails because I have none. Can't milk with nails. I never wear shoes either, unless I go to town. Then I have to get a scrub brush to wash all the crap off them.

Have ya'll heard Brad Paissley's song "Waitin' on a Woman"? It should be "Waitin' on a Man!!" I am always waiting on my hubby.
He spends more time in the bathroom than I do. And I don't have to use air freshener for days after he's left to go back on the road.

I do have the house nice and clean and flowers on the table and I do have on makeup for him when he comes home. Don't want him to be looking elsewhere! But as soon as he leaves, I'm back to normal!

So, I'm impressed with any one who has time and likes to looks good all the time. But for me, it's just not practical.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  09:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer- those lovely 1940's and 1950's women are my she-roes. I seriously think I was born in the wrong era, style wise. : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  09:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow, neat thread!

I definitely feel better about myself when I take a little time in the morning to put myself together. But it definitely takes effort and hasn't really become the easy habit I was hoping it would be - ha! Everyday (well, in reality it's not quite everyday) I have to force myself to carve out a bit of time for a quick make-up session and to do something with my long hair other than pull it back into a haphazard bun. For a while I was letting myself go pretty badly, but I've been trying to work on it more lately. It's way to easy for me to use the excuse that I have twin toddlers, but I recognize that it was just something I was hiding behind.

I love the idea of a women being able to show a feminine side while also being strong, self-reliant and hard working. But how to strike that balance???...I definitely haven't figured that out.

I would love to wear more dresses, ya know... the everyday kind that can handle chasing kids around, cooking, errands, some light gardening, but honestly, everytime I try to shop for some, I can never find anything that fits the bill. If anyone has any good sources for cute but durable dresses, I'd love to know!!

Looking forward to reading lots of other posts on this topic :)

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  09:35:57 AM  Show Profile
I'll forever be a jeans gal, but it is so fun to see heads turn when I am made up and actually wearing a nice dress or skirt.

It doesn't happen often.

Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  10:26:03 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I always have my makeup on and try to look the best I can. I'm kinda lucky cause my sister-in-law is a beautician so I even keep the highlights in and the cut trendy. It's part of making me feel like I'm put together and functional!
Go to Top of Page

poverty girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kristin
Fremont Ut
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  10:57:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the great thread!! I haven't had a good giggle in awhile, I love it!! I'm so glad I'm not the only farmgirl who feels this way!! When I read Dana post I swear she could hear me cackle all the way to Georgia ;0) I often look at my rag-a-muffin farm kids and wonder how did I get 3 of you? With each new child my barnyard grew (isn't it strange how to two go hand in hand? =0) I'm up to 4 dogs, a new kitten, 10 horses, a herd of cattle, and had 50 chickens until one of the 4 dogs got to them! I'm the middle school librarian, so this gives me an excuse to get gussied-up four days a week. On the weekends its blue jeans and tees for me. I wasn't gifted with "the gene" so I'm never without mascara and lip gloss, they are stuffed inside my purse right next to working gloves and pliers. All of which a farmgirl should never be without ;0) I have gone without makeup on some days (it makes me feel as if I'm rebelling!) But, I have to at least try to make my husband think I can do it all!! LOL!!
Can't wait to read some more post, I'm so glad I discovered the Sisterhood!! You gals are the best!!

Kristin

"There ain't no time for looking pretty when you've gotta slop the pigs."--Haddy Rennet
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile
Ya know, after reading this, I DID hit the shower and put on my "game face". I do feel better. the funniest thing about it? Today, a friend cam by to pick up a dryer that I sold her, and she goes..." Dawn, you look really rested and healthy!"...Hmmmmm...makes me wonder what I look like without my "game face"...THANK YOU!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  12:07:51 PM  Show Profile
This is a great topic and my best friend and I were just talking about something similiar this morning on the phone. We were discussing about how long our morning routine took and how much time it took to fix our hair. When I get up I go and catch a bit of the news, then shower, brush out my hair, brush my teeth, and put a bit of make up on (foundation, liner, mascara, blush, and chapstick), and then finish dressing. If I think about it I'll look in the mirror before I leave to see if I need to touch up my hair by running my fingers through it. I think from start to finish of getting ready it takes me less than 25 minutes and that's including straightening up the house a bit as well. When I was younger it would take me over 30 minutes just working on my hair alone. I can't even imagine doing that now, I just don't have the energy or patience anymore.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  2:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I need all the help I can get lately! Looks like I need to crack open the old make up case! LOL! The funny thing is, I know it only takes me about 5 minutes, but gee...that's five minutes! LOL.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kris,
I SOOOO know what you mean. I love the Brad P song too, and it so should be "waiting on a man". At least in my world (I have a hubby and 4 boys).

Yea, I don't even "clean up well". I learned a while back that I can put 7 hours into getting pretty and look pretty much the same as I did before the paint blower started... SO, I have resorted to lip gloss and mascara and great earrings. LOL

But I have also found that frilly things make me feel "more girly", so I have adopted more cowgirl skirts and gypsy tops, great jeans and lace..... And I love the "girly feelings" although I can still buck bales with the best of 'em :).

OH and just to document it all, I can’t take a good picture to save my life... UGH I hate that, just once I would love to take ONE GREAT PICTURE!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile
I am not a naturally "girly-girl" for sure. I wear my hair really long...and at home it is always in a ponytail or bun (I loved the Ma Kettle picture Linda Ellen..that is me all over!!!) and when I am at work (elementary school sub) or in town I wear it down usually with barrettes holding back the sides. I don't wear lipstick EVER...but do wear lip gloss on occasion. I have full lips...I never have felt like me with lipstick on..so I quit owning it. I do wear mascara and eyeliner pencil daily..and feel icky without that. I think smelling good is important to me. Especially working with little kids..they will tell you!! Yesterday one little girl (second grade) told me that she likes when I am her teacher since my hair smells good. I don't wear alot of cologne, but I like scented powder, soap and lotion..a light scent. That makes me feel feminine.
gosh..one great picture, that would be nice for me too Rene. By one nice picture though, I mean one that makes me look better than I really do look!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:12:20 PM  Show Profile
Whatever Rene'!! ;o) lol....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Of the hundreds of apron memory interviews I've conducted, one that always stood out shared the recollection of a grandmother, who kept a sliver of mirror and her lipstick on top of a medicine cabinet that doubled as a telephone book/paper/pencil stash. The storyteller told me that when her grandmother heard a car or buggy on the gravel driveway, she immediately checked herself out in the mirror sliver, freshened her lipstick, patted her hair in place and smoothed her apron before answering the bell. I love that image. The environment was rural, yet the story is one every woman can relate to.

xxea
Tie One On...an apron, of course!
www.apronmemories.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile
What a cute story, EllynAnne!

This thread got me thinking, too. I hate getting 'made up' just to head out to the yard and get sweaty, muddy, mucky and bugbitten. However, by the time I am coming in from all the chores, DH (city-boy business man) is getting ready in shirt and tie and heading out the door. Yikes, I can't believe the last thing he sees is me gubbed up. I should probably care more about it....at least by the time he gets home I am usually showered and at least smelling good. ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you a 'lipstick' farm girl? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page