Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  3:41:16 PM  Show Profile
I want to make some freezer meals for a friend that is having a baby next month and beyond lasagna and soups I don't have any recipes that I've tried. Do any of you ladies have any tried and true recipes that you freeze? For this couple they can't be too spicy or "out there" because they aren't too adventurous with their food.
Thanks so much!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  6:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Chicken bruschetta bake: bottom layer, cut up chicken into bite sized chunks (two breasts or more), sprinkle with mozzerella cheese and basil, top with the following:

2 boxes of stuffing mix mixed with two cans of diced tomatoes mixed with two cups of water and as much garlic as you want. spread this stuffing mixture on the top.

Bake at 375 for about 40/45 minutes, then freeze. I like to freeze it already baked, so then you can thaw it out and just microwave however much you want to eat that night. It's really yummy and easy, and works great frozen/thawed.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  6:55:58 PM  Show Profile
by the way, that's not original to me, comes from the Kraft foods free magazine, from a few years ago. Just thought I ought to give attribution!
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  06:58:19 AM  Show Profile
That sounds really good! Thank you Sheila :)

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I suggest that you prepare extra while you are cooking your dinners. Then fix TV dinners and freeze for your friends. Most everything will work that way. Meatloaf is a good one to freeze.
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile
That's a good idea too, Belle!

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to freeze the meals? In baggies? Plastic bowls with lids?

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  12:24:32 PM  Show Profile
I made chicken pot pie filling and froze it for a friend. I also cooked some meat for shepards pie and brought that to her. Cooking things like taco and sloppy joe meat or meatballs are usually good. When I had made the taco meat I brought by all the fixings when she needed them for supper that night.
I hope this helps.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  07:26:31 AM  Show Profile
You could try oven fried chicken - coat chicken breasts/tenders/pieces as desired, then bake at 375 for about 45 minutes, turning once. It can then be frozen and reheated. Also, we do a roast in the crockpot with a few packages of italian dressing mix (that powdered stuff in a packat) and a quart box of beef stock. After cooking about 8 hours, the meat can be shredded and put in containers with the juice for Italian beef sandwiches.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  09:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like to make cabbage burgers- super yummy and freeze great!

Here's how: Make homemade bread and set to rise, or buy frozen bread dough and let thaw.

Scramble hamburger till cooked,
add in finely chopped white cabbage
Onion
Celary
Carrots
garlic or garlic powder
Season with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, etc to taste.

Roll bread dough out thin, cut into circles, fill with meat filling (being careful to drain filling as the oil/water mix will make it so the dough doesn't close), pull up and pinch close like a draw string purse. Trim off any extra bread dough. Bake according to bread directions. YUMMY!!!

Another good one is pre-made burritos. I make taco meat and refried beans, grate up some cheese. I cook onions in with the meat. Warm the tortillas to make them flexible. Fill, tuck in two ends and then roll tightly. Put in lightly greased casserole pan. Once the pan is filled, bake in oven (watching carefully) until tortilla is browned. Remove from oven, let cool and then package individually for freezer in baggies.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezer Meal Recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page