faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile
I was looking in a amish cook book and in it has a picture of shelves with jars with canned meat on them. The jars are not full and some of the meat is exposed to the air in the jar and not covers with juice.
I have never canned met before but was excited to read Aunt Jenny is canning meatballs and sauce. I want to do that too. how safe is it for an inexpienced canner. And do I need to have a canning pot or pressur cooker. Thanks for any help!

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Farmgirl sister # 34

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  10:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you MUST use a pressure canner to safely can any low acid foods (meat, vegetables). If you buy a new canner, it will come with an owner's manual/recipe booklet that will lead you through the steps. Also, a Ball Bluebook (sells for under $10) is invaluable and teaches you many things step by step. You also need to use approved canning jars for pressure canning (not recycled mayonnaise jars, etc.)

I have been canning meat, poultry and fish for many years and our family has always enjoyed the convenience and taste of it. However, it is not one of the most beautiful canned products one can do <smile> but it sure tastes good!

Good luck to you! I think it's so exciting whenever I hear of anyone willing to learn to preserve foods for their family.

Bev in Oregon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  11:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Yep..not always pretty..but wonderful if you follow directions exactly. And SOOOO nice to have on hand. There is a blog at Backwoods Home Magazine by Jackie Clay (a True canning guru!!) and she answers questions and has posts and recipes quite often about canning meats too.
The meat dosn't have to be covered in liquid in the jars. Sometimes you raw pack meats (they are cooked under pressure in the jars and vacum packed during the pressure canning process) and that is okay. I prefer meat covered in broth, sauce or something though, it is more tender. You can also fit more in the jar if you at least partially cook (the meat shrinks up as it cooks) the meat before putting into the jars. I have raw packed meat and canned it before..but usually hot pack it because it uses less jars...and I tend to use sauces or broth. For chicken I use chicken broth, and beef or elk or venison gets beef broth..etc.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  12:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Bev and Jenny!
I have always wanted to can. I have always been frightened to! I am 51 years old and this is my first year canning anything. I canned tomato sauce. Not alot, about 10 jars. I LOVED IT!!!!!!! I love looking at it and eating it and serving it to my family.
But when I read Jenny's post about meat balls in sauce... well.. all I thought was ...cold winter and hot meatballs in cans that I already made and just opening a jar! WOW That was it. I am determaned to do it.
I am alittle too afraid to do raw packed I think..?
Again I say thank you for the information and encouragement!

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Farmgirl sister # 34
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic question about canning meat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page