Page: of 3

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  07:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I was so amazed/amused/convicted to find the article on "Going TV Free" [pg 41] in the latest MJ mag. I've been talking to my hubby about cancelling our DirecTV - because of me! I'm the TV addict in the family. No children so can't blame it on them. It's something I've been thinking about for over a year. And I'm find the more "MaryJane" my life becomes, the less the TV is part of it. I think a lot of the green (environmental) information that I currently get from TV - Planet Green specifically - I can get on the internet. So if we cancelled DirecTV we could pay for satellite internet service - we currently are crawling along with dial-up.

So here are my questions:
1. Is anyone out there TV free? If so, how long and how's it workin' for ya?
2. Is anyone else contemplating pulling the plug?

Let me know. I'm beyond interested.

FYI: I'm planning on keeping the TV to watch videos, etc. as we enjoy doing that. But figure that's like going to the movies and wouldn't create the conflict in me that "I might be missing something important."

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  07:48:45 AM  Show Profile
I really am contemplating it. We already have decided that once hubby is out of the military in 2010, that we'll be stripped to the bare minimum so TV, internet and phone will all go bye bye. I was convicted after reading that article too, and wanted to go to the website mentioned to get more inspiration. My kids wake up and put the TV on while I make breakfast. They come in from outdoors if they're too sweaty/cold/bug eaten and put the TV on. At night it's basically on from 4:30 till 11:30, for one reason or another, even just as background noise (QVC is good for that). I do love to read, and sew and draw and write, and I'd be willing to bet the tip of my nose that I'd do all that a lot more if I just got rid of TV. What extreme am I willing to go to though? NO cable and just watch movies? Get a digital box to watch things for free and be restricted to what's on there? Get rid of all the TV's altogether? That's the stuff I'm still thinking over.
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  08:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi karen-it's your dial up companion from the mavens! We got rid of our Direct TV in June of 07 and went strictly to antenna. There were a few reasons for this:

1. My DH hates TV
2. Cost- when you figure up what you are paying for a year of TV-is it worth it?

Since we have done this I have found that there is more reading done in the evenings, even by the boys. Also I have rediscovered PBS and they really do have some informitive shows. I really thought I would miss the sattelite but I have found I really can live without it. Also when we put the digital converter box on our tv, we went from having 7 channels to having 19 channels.

Paige- I too used to have QVC on for the background noise, but now I just sing or turn the radio on.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  08:29:51 AM  Show Profile
I would love to get rid of tv here. I wouldn't mind just having antenna or digital converter box. PBS is neglected here with all the other channels available and I love PBS. My dear husband loves tv too much to give it up.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  08:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We are slowly working our way off it. We still love Football and a few shows..I love Lost but can pick that up on the internet and hubby has a few things but nothing is life altering...other than Football. I keep it off for most of the day, only while I am eating breakfast or lunch do I watch. At night, Charlie gets to watch 2 cartoons and then it is off. I like it this way. I used to have to have it on 24/7 for noise, but now, I find it annoying.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile
I too have been giving it serious thought. My sis has never had cable, just tv to watch movies. Our family is a little wierd - we buy previously viewed movies and watch them over and over.

My direct tv went up twice last year. Now I pay almost $55 a month for just basic package and NY news. That's $660 a year!

The one thing I would miss is all the great XM music channels we get. Lots of times we just listen to that because our radio reception isn't great.

Still giving it serious thought though. It may be a trade off - TV or satelite internet. We too are crawling along with dial up. Satelite is our only option where we live.
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  09:28:44 AM  Show Profile
Since my husband and I have been together for about 10 years, we've been on again off again t.v.-free, usually coinciding with a move to another place. I'd say we've been without t.v. more than we've had it over the years, and honestly, I do not feel like I've missed out on anything.

We are big fans of Netflix, for those of you who haven't heard of it, it's a movie-rental arrangement where they send you movies in the mail. But, it's so much more than just your normal movies... they've got so many choices from interesting documentaries to exercise programs to t.v. series. (It's actually fun to watch t.v. series on dvd because when there's a huge cliff-hanger at the end of an episode, you just pop in the next one - ha ha! So, we do watch a fair amount of programming from Netflix. It's very affordable and we feel like we have much more control over the media that enters our home (and all the manipulative advertising that doesn't). We're not big fans of watching sports, but for the occasional game or Super Bowl, it's never hard to find a place to watch it. For us, it's too easy to become addicted to having it on every night, and we end up not really watching anything worthwhile. I definitely feel like there is some really good programming on t.v. here and there, but you can't have everything right?! And like I already mentioned, Netflix is a great way to fill that veg-out-and-watch-something void.

Now that we have young children, we are definitely going to continue to try to be t.v.-free for their childhood. I am a bit concerned that they'll feel that they're "different" when they start going to school and everyone is up on the latest pop culture show, but I think in the long run, it's a decision we feel pretty strongly about.

I would definitely recommend it - just give it a try, you can always get it connected again down the road.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
We have been without tv for over a year now...I don't miss a thing!
(Except the day that David Cassidy was on Oprah! But, you guys have already heard all about that!)

I have enjoyed NOT having it. Big time. You should give it a try and see what you think. You might be surprised how easy it is to do without! If not, you can always sign back up. (You'll not believe all the offers you'll get to come back...)

I posted an article about it here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/MJFBlog/default.asp?Display=148
Maybe the link works...if not, click on The City Farmgirl Blog on the Home page at maryjanesfarm.com. The article is called "Martian Farmgirl."

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  09:37:37 AM  Show Profile
I have been watching less and less tv. I have noticed SO many nasty programmes, things I am just not interested in, or just don't wanna watch.
I only have cable and as an extra the Hallmark channel. NO sports, or any other extra channel. Just the regulars we get on cable. And that is a lot, IMO!!
Many I don't even have installed!

I won't go as far as going completely tv free, but I do look if something interesting is on. If not, out it goes and on the cd!
And then I work on my crafts, or read a magazine or whatever.
And you know what? I don't even miss it.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)

Edited by - dutchy on Sep 23 2008 09:40:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  09:58:14 AM  Show Profile
We have been without TV for over a year. We do not miss it! We still get one channel off the rabbit ears. We also subscribe to Netflix. But we don't miss the crap that's found on most channels. We've contemplated getting DirectTv, but everytime we decide not to. Life is to short to stay inside and watch tv.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  10:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Wow, thanks, ladies! I didn't expect this much response when I checked back in (although I was hoping ).

Paige, it's a lot to think about, isn't it? I told DH I'm almost ready to cut the cord now but don't want to go into unexpected major withdrawal and have to scramble to get it set up again. One of my biggest hold-ups right now is missing the Christmas shows. But if we have satellite internet, how much would I really miss? Still pondering here, too......

Hi, Lillian and Ruth, my Heirloom Mavens buds! (For the rest of you, check out the Magazine: Call for Entries / Keeping in Touch / Danger of Extinction thread. It's on fire - 37 pages as of this minute and it's just over a week old.) PBS - good point! Digital converter box - do I need an antennae for that? I love PBS but haven't watched it much because of all the other available channels. Hmmmmmm, have to think about this one.

Heather, so glad you to hear from you. I still smile every time I see your posts. How's Charlie? And I've been consumed with the mavens so I'm a bit out of touch - is hubby home now?

Jenn, the $$ is a big consideration for me too. So much of what used to be free we now have to pay for. Do I want my money to go there or would it be better spent buying organic food (although we're pretty much there so it would be nice to have some breathing room), trying MaryJane's goodies, buying a cow through Heifer International to support a third-world family,... Another question I'm asking myself is just how much do I NEED to be content? Now there's a question to ponder, eh?

Susan, love that you're going TV-free with the kids. I wish my parents had put their foot down more on that one. I thought it was interesting in the article that the kids (14 & 18) were more adamant about not watching television than the parents. "They wonder how others find time to waste on TV." Let that give you strength when they feel left out.

Rebekah, I'm a bit humbled that you've posted on my thread. I will definitely check out the link and I'm so almost there with saying goodbye to the tube. I did get to watch David on Oprah though - and probably enjoyed it enough for both of us. Did you plaster your walls with his posters too? Maybe that's showing my age a bit too much. Anyways, I'm glad to hear how much you've enjoyed NOT having it. Our best vacation was getting iced in at a log cabin with no electricity. I think about that so often - it was good for my soul.

Dutchy, I'm there with ya on the nasty programs. I'll find myself watching something on TV just because it's the next show after the one I liked and all of a sudden it's like "What happened? How long have I been mindlessly watching THAT???"

Erin, you are the tipping point. Bye bye, DirecTV! Hello, more productive time, more $$, more peace!

Whew! I think I'm caught up with everyone. Be watching for my next thread coming soon: "Living the Simple Life - What does it mean to you?" The mavens have me consumed but maybe I'll just go ahead a post it now to start the ball rolling........balls are simple..........at least the plastic-ish rubber ones in the bin that I used to play with as a girl were................weren't they fun..........

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  10:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Not to Hi-jack the thread...by oh well...

HI Karen (WAVING)!!! Hubby will be home 6 weeks from today...H A P P Y D A N C E!!! Charlie is chatting more and more to the point I think he is going to be smarter than me by 4. HA!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  10:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
deleted and moved...ha!!

Edited by - catscharm74 on Sep 23 2008 10:32:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  10:49:38 AM  Show Profile
I'd be happy to go no tv but my hubby is addicted to watching it. We dumped satellite recently and went to AT&T UVerse because we saved $$$.

Only thing I usually watch is our local news & weather and old reruns on nick@nite or tvland.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Diana,

I'm the same as you. I would love to get rid of it but hubby is addictec to watching it.

I'm also a country girl stuck in the city!
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile
We cancelled the cable subscription last month and so far all I've missed is CNN!! I watch the news online and we also subscribe to Netflix. We are still saving $35 per month even with replacing the cable with Netflix. We have three young children and I was very disturbed to see such obvious mention and viewings of life situations that are not appropriate for children at all. We are fine with the decision and as long as I have my internet I am happy.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:24:04 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are really talking about it, so this is great timing for this topic. I do like certain movies occasionally and love the old Little House on the Prairie reruns! But, I don't like our boys watching so much. But for us, the bigger issue has become our computer. With three teenaged boys they want to be on MySpace, Facebook or Instant Messaging constantly. We are still trying to figure out whether to pull the plug and go cold turkey are to find some kind of a compromise. They do get a lot of computer assignments that require internet now at school and I can check their grades on-line, so I think we will probably keep it. But it definitely needs to take much less priority, as does the TV. We did go an entire summer without TV a couple years ago and I loved it! Did a lot more reading!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Diana, hey there, local sister! What is UVerse and could we get satellite interent with it?

Misty, I'm with ya there girl. I can give up the TV but the internet - that's another story!

Whew, Brenda, that's a toughy. MHO: Kids have access to way too much information these days. I'm telling Misty I can't give up the interent. If I can't do that at 52, what is life gonna be like for these kids in another 40 years? My friends are talking about how they're kids are texting all the time. "Why not just call them?" "I don't know, we just don't." I think things can be used for good AND bad. We just need to be conscious about the consequences and make appropriate choices. Good luck with that one! Keep us posted.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I would chuck the tv in a heartbeat, but DH would probably have a heart attack. He loves his tv. I'm trying to figure out how to not watch as much with it still in the house. I'll spend lots of time in my sewing room with music this winter. I do like the music channels on the direct tv, the 40's, bluegrass, and c&w, show tunes are great for cleaning,lol
It will be interesting when we move to our Idaho place and we might not have tv there because we have to have alternative energy. I just love listening to the birds and the wind in the trees.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:16:12 PM  Show Profile
I am looking forward to reading that article in MJF (don't have a copy yet -- boo hoo). Every year for Lent, I try to get my loved ones to give up TV, but of course, that is usually during the NCAA Basketball tournament!
But, to be honest, I like TV. I like the food channel and the home channels. I can hardly wait for the new season of the Amazing Race and I love finding an old movie I have never seen before.

You may beat me with a wet noodle now . . .

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:26:13 PM  Show Profile
I love food tv too, and hgtv but I've been without it for almost a year and it's been alright. I am surviving! Of course I get my fix when we visit the inlaws, but so far so good. My hubby likes football, so he wants me to wait until that season is over (it's just getting started) and then I can canke the whole shebang. I'll get a digital box most likely, and do it that'a way as that's the free way right? Keeping internet is vital, that's the main way hubby and I communicate while he's gone (Iraq last year, Afghanistan next year). And having my blog and MJ chat is good for ME TIME as well.
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Karen-UVerse isn't satellite, it's DSL/fiber optic based service. I suppose you could go to their website and see if it's available in your area though.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  3:51:40 PM  Show Profile
I ahvent had tv cable for 5 yrs or more. I cant pick up anything without cable either. I have tons of dvds though that i have bought over the years. I watch excatly what i want that way. Plus on internet there are lots sites where you can watch tv episodes of stuff free. One is http://www.fancast.com/full_episodes

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  4:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I am ashamed to admit it, but I am a Dancing with the Stars and American Idol addict! Am I the only one here that is? I also like Bonnie Hunt. She cracks me up.

I really don't have time during the day to watch much but at night I like to get in my big comfy chair and veg out. I like the cooking channel, too. And I am very hooked on this darn election coverage. I can't seem to get enough of that, I want to know all I can.

Oh, and I've been a Days of our Lives fan since its been on TV.

I think it would be nice to have "real" internet instead of dial up, but I can wait.
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  4:28:43 PM  Show Profile
During the summer we took our cable down to it's most basic without completely canceling it. (Would you believe it was cheaper to do so!?) I've found that I watch much less tv, just weather channel and news (election coverage up here too) mostly. I really thought I'd miss my specialty channels - BBC, Food Network, Discovery, History.. and I do get twinges now and then, but I've rediscovered my love of PBS, and am happy as a clam when all their good documentaries and shows come on.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  4:35:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm ashamed to admit, but I'm a tv addict and would go through serious withdrawals without a television. It's one of my ways of relaxing and vegging out.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Going TV Free Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page