Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  8:03:49 PM  Show Profile
I just read the "TV Free" article today. We have been TV free for a couple of weeks because ours just blew out of the blue! We have a 2nd one downstairs, but rarely watch it. I have to say, we haven't missed it except for catching the 11pm news. I'm in no hurry to buy a new one. The crazy thing is, we just sold an extra one on Craigslist not too long ago.

I love that my 3 little ones haven't said a word about missing it either. With school and weekend fun, thier minds are on other things.

Ann
Forrester Farm
http://picasaweb.google.com/FORRESTERFARM/FORRESTERFARMWEDDINGS
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  8:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am in the same boat as a lot of other farmgirls. I don't care much about the TV, but Doug would have a heart attack if he couldn't watch his Denver Broncos. So I make the best of it and turn it off a lot. Most of the day it is off around here, though I must admit, if I do have something to do around the house, I will turn on educational shows for Nora. Though I limit her time. Usually I only do that if I have to take a shower or run the garbage out, etc.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  8:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I would love a totally TV free life. I personally haven't watched more than 5 hours of TV in the last 4 years. I am pathetically sensitive and empathatic, so I get so easily overwhelmed by the noise and definitely the news. The only TV I've actually seen is the Weather Channel when we have severe alerts in our area. I simply rely on the net and the radio (even that I turn off if it gets too much) for the information I need or want. That way, I can monitor how much and what I really want to know.
I wouldn't even have a TV, but I think the man's IV is hooked up to it! But at least he does warn me if there's an especially disturbing news story or program that I might find out about.
My oldest daughter turns into a overripe squash if she watches it for more than an hour. (Don't worry, she admits it herself!)

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  05:26:40 AM  Show Profile
My Hubby rarely watches TV and I work 2nd shift so I am never home to watch it. We recently remodeled our house and haven't had a chance to hook it back up. That has been a couple of months ago. Neither one of us misses it. To much crap on it anyway. Now if we had the History Channel I would never see the front of my hubby againThank goodness I won't pay that kind of money to get it.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  06:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Well, I have one TV free day under my belt. I'm going see how much pull is has - or doesn't have - on me for the next few weeks. I got a lot more done yesterday just knowing that I wasn't even going to check what's on "so I wouldn't miss something." The only thing I watched this weekend that I would regret not having a TV for is the FarmAid concert. I could have watched it on the internet if we had high-speed but that's another issue!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had a tv for years and I don't feel like I am missing anything.

When I did have a tv, I only got two channels with my rabbit ears, so I never had a chance to get addicted. :) I don't know when I would find time to watch tv if I had it now.

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  08:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Maybe those of us thinking about it should do an experiment and just UNPLUG the darn thing for awhile (few weeks or a month) to see what happens. That way we don't have to cancel service and then reinstate it. Sound like a plan? :)
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Jenn, that sounds like our bi monthly black out party. After the sun goes down we turn off all the lights, and just light the lamps and see what we can find to do. We go to bed a lot earlier on those nights.
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  10:52:06 AM  Show Profile
My tv broke Monday night, so I am involuntarily TV free for the time being. We've never had cable, but there are several shows I like to watch on the major networks (not to mention pbs). My husband hates TV with a passion (mainly because he feels addicted to it when it's on) so I may not be able to convince him to let me replace it. Sob. All the season premieres are going to be on in the next couple of weeks and I was so looking forward to them.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:00:46 AM  Show Profile
I've been without a TV since I was 8. I don't think me and/ or the kids are missing anything. ;) We do watch movies, though, and sometimes if I hear rave review of a certain show, we will pick up the season when it comes out and watch it 45 minutes at a time. That really cuts down on the dull drone of it in the background all day long, when you have to make an effort to put a disk in and start it up!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  9:20:40 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have been debating about getting rid of the tv just because of the cost that keep getting higher and my son turned me on to the website where you can watch tv. so If I really missed something that much I can watch it there.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  03:38:43 AM  Show Profile
Glad to kniow we aren't the only ones with S L O W dial up no cable tv.

We are so far out, cable doesn't run, and I still can't justify satellite. With the converter box we still can only get 4 channels. whoopee. And our big t.v is 11 years and is acting like it wants to poop out.

I too would rather save and just get a zippier computer connection

As it is, I'm more addicted to talk radio (not NPR thank you)and we really only have 2 or 3 shows I'd say we are truly addicted to.

Otherwise in the summer we are out 'till the sun goes down and go to sleep earlier in the winter anyway

To each their own but lord knows there really isn't much I care to watch these days. even Sat. morning cartoons are bad

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  3:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday was Day 2 being TV free. I'm allowing myself 2 shows - Supper Club and Greensburg, both on the Planet Green network on DirecTV. I'm recording them and watching them at a time I decide on. Other than that I'm shooting for NO TV through October 10 when we leave on our trip. Taking plenty to read and work on then so hopefully I won't be tempted by the hotel and/or family members' TV.

Jenn, hop on the TV Free train. I'm finding that I don't have the angst of not having it available at all, but it sure is liberating to know that I can say "NO." Let me know if you decide to experiment. Anyone else want to hop on board?

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
My tv viewing has dropped so far off since I married my husband. Sometimes we watch movies but we only have rabbit ears. Last night was the first time in months that I watched a prime time show. My family thinks Im nuts cuz I dont keep up with tv like they do. If their cable goes out they panic. I am so ready to never have one but the kids need movies once in awhile.

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
FYI, Marcy Jo, we're keeping the TV but working toward getting rid of satellite. Some of our best times together are watching movies, but it's always ones we own. So I'm thinking if those are the best times, why pay for the service? Garage sales and thrift stores are wonderful places to pick up good movies cheap. I just got the "Five Mile Creek" series at a barn sale. It's on VHS but we still have our player.

Just a thought................

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Girl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kelly
T-Town
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  10:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Right now we have just the basic network channels, but even those are not real appealing to me.
We turned the Direct Tv off a few weeks ago. Do not need the extra bill. Have found that we as a family, are not missing it to much. I like a peaceful environment.... what television has to offer is not so peaceful. I do watch the local news, weather etc.. but most of the time I have it off.

Blessings to all~Kelly

http://belleamebeautifulsoul.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  03:40:20 AM  Show Profile
and have you ever noticed how a lot of commercials are way too loud.

They say this is a marketing ploy. I say it's just plain annoying and causes the t.v. to be turned off.

enough already
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  05:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I leave the tv off most of the day when everyone is gone. Since I have a part time job now, I don't even think about it.
There are so many reality shows, disaster shows, and just plain nasty shows on that I can't stand it. My children like their cartoons, but I'd rather watch PBS or go online. I usually spend my evening crocheting or doing some other craft, but I doubt if hubby would ever give up the tv. He is a tv addict!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  08:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I got rid of Directv about 2 months ago and haven't really noticed. When I have thought about it I think I guess I should rent a movie but then I get busy sewing or computing and forget. I was paying $44 a month and no local channels! That's a ton. They go around advertising $29 so you can all change when we go digital. I told them you give me the same deal and they didn't, but of course now they are begging to get me back every day! I forgot about Netflix so maybe I will try that during the holidays. I bet I am having lots of family here for the holidays, for a change, so they will all be wanting their football. Not sure what I can do about that. Radio I guess.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Oh, I got sirus radio for $12.95 a month and now I can listen to all the jazz, blues, country, 60's, 70's 80's music I want. Really good stations and no ads. I don't miss TV and I am getting a lot of reading done in the evenings when I use to watch it.

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  6:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Checking in - Days 3 & 4 - still TV free! I did record "Supper Club" on Planet Green but haven't watched it yet. If I don't feel the need to watch it by Sunday, it gets recorded over with Greensburg. I know I'll watch that one though. It's about the town of Greensburg, KS that got wiped out by the F5 tornado in May 2007 and how their building their town back environmentally friendly. It's really interesting so that's my one hold out.

God bless -

P.S. Karen, I didn't realize Sirius radio would only be $12.95 a month. What's the upfront cost? I love listening to talk shows, especially while I'm working around the house.

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 26 2008 6:22:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Well I love to watch my VHS movies that I have selected over the years and now I have also added some DVD's, but for the past twelve years I have raised my sons without cable, nintendo, X box and cell phones. We have enjoyed the outdoors too much and have too much farm work to sit on our behinds. I do love watching PBS but even that is very limited. When we lose power out here (which is often) if we are not tending to chores, spinning by candle or reading by candle then we look it as time to catch up on very needed sleep. I only get movies from the Library - last time I rented a movie from Blockbuster was five years ago. I only rent during the summer months when I have to be in town once a week to deliver products and go to farmers markets. During the winter I do not rent because I do not wish to drive in the storms and I hold up tending my animals as the main stay of my days. I throw away ads for cable, dish or netflex so I do not even consider should I do it... I never wish to tell anyone what to do but maybe if we unplugged more we might connect to those things that really have value....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  06:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Grace, I finished Day 5 TV free and every day that passes, the more I really get what you wrote about. Not even having it as a option is very freeing. It's still in the house but I don't even turn it on to check the schedule. My question has become "When I die, will this ______ matter?" There are very few shows that I put in that category. One is the sermon I watched this morning with my husband. And even that we'll be able to get over the internet after we unplug. I can do a lot more useful things with that $60 a month. But that's my outlook.

I know there are those of you out there that get genuine enjoyment from watching television shows and so you just keep on watching them. We're not cookie cutter copies of each other. I've had my time with television and now it's time to stop. Will I hook up again someday? Who knows. Maybe. Maybe not. But until then I'm a lot happier without it.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I find I am happy without tv as well. The most interesting thing is this: when I do watch it I am trapped like a zombie or something..just cant tear myself away from it. I like it better when there is no tv. I have farmgirl things to do..a much better way to spend my time!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  4:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Karen in Hillsboro there is no setup fee. You do need to get the radio or a boom box but I went on ebay and got it for less than half price. I love it. Lots of stations, you can listen to whatever you want.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Going TV Free Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page