levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  10:47:23 AM  Show Profile
#1 I have to go with lilacs. That is my all time favorite, then I would say the smell of the grandkids after being tubbed and scrubbed. They smell so good! I also enjoy the smell of new mown hay. mmmm, love it! What a great question. I almost forgot, the smell of the ocean air when we go to the shore.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 19 2008 10:48:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  11:02:11 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE the smell of pumpkin bread baking in the oven! I have a wonderful recipe for it, if you are interested! (I won a Blue Ribbon for it at our community fair!)

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  12:17:17 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Denise, I love the smell of lilacs in full bloom. Nothing better in the world. The smell of an old barn takes me back to my childhood and summers on my Grandparent's ranch. And no, my dog's aroma is not a pleasant one unless he's just had a bath!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  2:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
I would have to say, my favorite is sheets fresh in from outside. I also love the smell of my Mums' baking bread, and a really fresh Christmas tree. Every smell to do with fall, it is my favorite time of year and I just have to take it all in. Too much good stuff...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  5:31:40 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely love the smell of my little granddaughters hair after a bath. We use Baby Magic Lavender Milk Bath....and they smell so precious!!!

And I love the way people smell when they come in from outside - that fresh air smell.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Sep 19 2008 5:32:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  5:47:30 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, you are not alone in loving horse smells! I just knew there had to be more. All of my friends and family thought I was crazy, too. Except for dh because he loves it, too. My mom used to make me strip outside the back door after mucking/riding because she couldn't stand it!

Maryjane, I would love your award winning pumpkin bread recipe! Can you post it over in the kitchen?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  10:00:41 PM  Show Profile
I love the smell of a crisp fall morning, coffee brewed over a camp fire, baby chicks, bed sheets dried in the sun, hoppes gun cleaner fluid, and home made bread.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  12:00:34 AM  Show Profile
I like the smell of sheets dried on the clothesline,the smell of rain,a tiny baby,lilacs,and my sheep.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun."
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.youravon.com/rgriffin0799
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  08:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I love the smell of lilacs, newly mown hay or grass, fresh sage picked from the planter outside my kitchen door, the crisp smell once it frosts and the air just smells so fresh. The smell after a spring rain. Anything baking in the oven but especially pumpkin pie. Clean sheets off the line in the dead of winter. They smell fresher then than at any other time of the year. Anytime it's above freezing you can hang sheets out and they'll dry. So many memories are sparked by smells

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  08:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Sheets can be hung outside below freezing. I used to hang my brother and sister's diapers outside in the dead of winter. That's what you call "freeze dried."

I love the smell upon entering an earthen cellar. I can remember the smell of my grandmother's cellar. It was earthy and musty. Then to see those rows and rows of canned vegetables, sauerkraut in the crocks and grandma taking a pinch out to see if it was done and sharing it with me.

I also love the smell of the cow barn/horse barn. If the animals are inside it is a warm and misty smell.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  08:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
My favorites are fresh cut wood, sawdust, coffee, a cleansing rain, clean sheets off the line! And most of all, the great out of doors.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  4:49:38 PM  Show Profile
When I go to my parents house in spring and smell the sweet peas! My dad grows them especially for me! I love, love, love them!!!
I also love the smell of babies, rain, coffee beans, chocolate and the smell of a roast in the oven! Oh and cookies baking!mummmm!The anticipation!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh! I love all those smells!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  6:23:21 PM  Show Profile
I got 2 more: I love the smell of Sweet Annie, and I don't know what she used, but the smell of my grandma. Powdery, slightly perfume, and very distinct. i once caught a whiff of a lady in the grocery store and it took everything in me to not stand beside her and inhale without looking like a stalker. What is it that they use?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  6:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow - there are lots of my favorites already listed. there is a specific combination of smells that my grandma's kitchen had - coffee/coffee grounds (for compost), bread, homecooking. I walked in my kitchen tonight and it smelled like that, guess I'm really getting to be a farmgirl. Also I inherited and old dresser with all my grandma's linens in it last year and I picked up the napkins and they smelled like her house - I don't think I will use or wash them, their house has since been torn down.
Also new mown hay - I remember driving onto my great-aunt and uncle's dairy farm with my grandparents and mentioning that there should be a perfume of new mown hay....having grown up on farms they were both highly amused:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  8:23:24 PM  Show Profile
I hope it's ok to add a few more.

I was going through a very old BH&G cookbook that came with the house looking for a recipe and thought how much I love the smell of old books.
And also in the mornings when I first wake up, the smell of the coffee perking in the kitchen.
I have a friend who's yard is full of very old Boxwoods that her mother planted over 80 years ago. I love to just put my face inside a big bush and inhale that smell. There needs to be a Boxwood perfume. And her whole house smells like it, too.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  09:10:17 AM  Show Profile
Well as I started this whole thing I can only add that you have mentioned all very wonderful smells. One I forgot was my Dad's pipe back in the day it wasn't bad to smoke. And the smell of snow, and salsa cooking on the stove and onions and garlic for speg sauce.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  10:20:15 AM  Show Profile
AH...the smell of life!!!

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  10:50:00 AM  Show Profile
The smell of a pipe reminded me of the time several years ago I got my husband to smoke a pipe because I thought it smelled so good! It was so much trouble to keep the thing going, he got tired of it fast. The things our poor hubbies put up with...
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  1:09:45 PM  Show Profile
I like the smell of my Chai Tea (that is sugar-free Chai Tea). It always gets my day off to a good start.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  9:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I love the smell of fresh laundry off the line. With our weather turning cooler soon, that will be forgotten for a few (okay, six) months.

I love the smell of Chanel No. 5. It is my favorite perfume.

I also love the smell of fresh cut lemons.

Lilacs and hyacinths too.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  07:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Homey smells: food cooking, cleaning smells, pumpkin spice candles, laundry on the line; Christmas trees, fresh cut wood...The first time I took my sister (who has horses) to NYC overnight we went to Central Park and when we got to the corner by the Plaza Hotel she said "SMELL THAT? It smells so good!!" It was the horses with the carriages...
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  08:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
crazy as it sounds...i love the smell of vicks vapor rub. it reminds me of my papa.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  08:50:11 AM  Show Profile
My favorite smells are fresh cut grass and lilacs!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Daisydu
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Becky
Rock Hill South Carolina
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile
I love most of the scents mentioned. But I didn't catch the scent of honeysuckle. If I am walking along in the spring and I catch the scent, I stop dead in my tracks and soak it in. It is my favorite scent.

Loving a simple life in the country!
www.twistedfencepost.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your favorite smell? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page