DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  12:33:11 PM  Show Profile
The damp morning air that smells of cedar and pine from the forest we live in. Also, there's nothing quite like fresh baked bread. And freshly mowed grass. And new hay. :)

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  12:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I love the smell of a creek or river, the underbrush, water, etc and the smell of a tomato vine, or fresh peaches, clothes off the line, and fresh dill weed in the garden. I love to walk into the house in winter and have the smell of a good meal cooking, oh heavens, I guess there's lots of wonderful smells.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile
Laundry off the line. No matter how they try, the candle companies cannot compare. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  1:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Horse poop! I know it sounds bad but I just love that smell. I could just LIVE in a horse barn. I know I'm not the only one. C'mon, horse lovers; you know you love it, too ;)

Of course, I love all the other smells you gals mentioned, too. And I love the smell of a nice fire.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  2:44:02 PM  Show Profile
New mown hay or grass. Moss roses and bee balm.....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  2:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- I agree! I have actually slept in a barn several times! I love the smell of horses! I don't think I ever get sick of that smell!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  4:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Some of my favorites are a newborn baby, fresh coffee brewing, the air after it rains, fresh bread baking.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  4:49:24 PM  Show Profile
I love the smell of my horse. When she comes over to me, I actually take a sniff of her wonderful horse smell, as I give her a kiss. Also I love the smell of bread baking, or chocolate anything baking (brownies, cake, etc.)
My favorite herb is dill, I love the smell of dill! This world has so many wonderful scents and smells, it would take too long for me to list them all. My very favorite scent, is my husband after his shower, he wears an old fashioned scent-Old Spice. Love it, love him!

Barb
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  4:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Just turned over earth, corn growing in the hot summers and (call me silly) fresh paint.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  5:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yes, horses do smell good and I like the smell of cows too. All the things mentioned above. Doesn't it just make you thankful to be alive?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

steph0264
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Steph
Cleveland GA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  5:09:34 PM  Show Profile
My favorite smell is fresh rosemary, and beeswax.

Steph

For what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?
-The book of Micah, chapter 6, verse 8
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  5:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Cinnamon, or any of those "fall" spices. I made apple butter today and the cinnamon was driving me crazy!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  5:32:20 PM  Show Profile
I love the smell of my compost :/, well when its ready to put on the garden and good rich soil.
I love to walk in an Amish store and smell all those spices and herbs. Walking in an old barn smells pretty good to. The smell of horse feed and hay. I want some!!!! Oh and baby puppies.

Baked bread for sure, along with homemade vegetable soup. Apple and pumpkin pies right out of the oven. The smell of rain on a screen window, The smell of thanksgiving and the smell of my family when they walk in the door. Those grandbabies smell so good.

Things I don't like to smell, wet dogs, DH socks, and wet chickens when I butcher them out :P.

tc linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  5:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I love this thread, reading them all, it's just like you can smell them. How's that for reaching out across the miles ; )

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Ilove the smell of horse manure, horse sweat, and the smell of leather. Along with fresh tilled dirt, fresh mowed hay, the smell of new born baby goat, but mainly the smell when you go into an area at a rodeo. That really gets my fire burning.lol
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Sister #354
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  8:01:12 PM  Show Profile
I have always loved horsey smells. Every bit of them smells so good. And hay. A clean house after a hard days work. Just plain farm smell. I had a VW bug for years and I'll never forget that smell. No other car has it. There's nothing like jumping into a bed with sheets that have been hanging in the sun drying all day on the line!!!! I think that's maybe my favorite.

Happy smelling, ya'll!!!!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  8:16:30 PM  Show Profile
I love freesia, oranges, butter cut into flour, and my baby's sweet, milky breath.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
http://adventuresofowenmaxwell.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile
The smell right behind my Great Dane Emily's ears(she died 2 yrs ago), but that was the sweetest smell & softest touch out there..
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  9:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
OMG!! I love the smell of a Great Dane...they have a unique smell. I also like coconut, fresh earth, the smell of the air as it begins to change seasons, melted chocolate, coco chanel mademoiselle, a coffee shop, my DH after when we go out--the cologne, wow! This list could go on forever for me....Oh, I love the smell of powdered laundry detergent. I know a lady that craved it when she was pregnant--I'm not that weird, but it does smell good!

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  05:28:14 AM  Show Profile
Woodsmoke, beeswax, rain in the woods, pine trees. And I love the smell inside my vintage cars too. They're not VW, but they are the same cars my parents had all through my childhood.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  05:45:14 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering when someone would mention puppies. I love puppy breath. The smell of a water lilly. The smell of life! Oh, and horses are right up there too!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  06:34:38 AM  Show Profile
oh my goodness! fab question... there are so many...
~ I love the smell of soil (not dirt!)

cheers, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  06:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Here I go being the weird one again...original "Crayola" crayons and "PlayDoh"!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  06:40:12 AM  Show Profile
Sheets dried on the line, fresh cut grass, the smell of rain, tomato plants....
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  09:59:42 AM  Show Profile
Boy are we a bunch of "True Blue Farmgirls" or WHAT?!! There are just SOOOO MANY pleasing smells on a farm and in the country it's hard to pick JUST ONE. But if I had to, well, it would have to by my roses. I LOVE English and old garden roses. I especially like the ones that smell like raspberries warmed by the sun. YUMMY!!!

Also, I thought I was the only person who liked the smell of horses!! (all my friends and family thought I was CRAZY!!!) Can't stand the smell of a pig though. THEY are clean themselves, but they sure do make a NASTY STINK!!! (and that's just my Pot bellied pig!!!)

Oh, and love the smell of fresh tomatoes from the garden--- not to mention the TASTE!!!! Oh, pure HEAVEN!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your favorite smell? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page