Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Does anyone else get "the look?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone else get "the look?" Next Topic
Page: of 5

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  06:48:59 AM  Show Profile
Yay! this is my first official post! anyway, i'm a bit new at the farmgirl lifestyle. though my parents lived 40 miles from nowhere, Wyoming has been my first official home after I left home. I was in the Navy for 6 years, so i moved around alot and never got to settle anywhere or have a real home. so i'm so happy to have a comfy little country home with my hubby here in Wyoming. when i was growing up, my mom jokingly called herself a "hermit." i never understood why, but now i'm starting to understand. i feel the same way... i feel uncomfortable in big cities (i was stationed in pearl harbor, hi in the navy and HATED the big city lifestyle!) and long for the great outdoors. as i'm trying to figure out what to do with my life, i believe i just want to be a farmgirl and not have a career. i want to stay in the country and just try some different things to see what i like (honeybees, apple cider, cheese are among my interestes). problem is, it seems whenever i mention these things (which i am SO excited to try and get butterflies everytime i think about it) to other people, i get "the look." the "why in the world would you want to do that?" i've been asked so many times why i like living in the country, what could it possibly offer that the city doesn't have? people look at me as if i'm crazy! but whenever people come to visit, they love the quiet solitude and cozy lifestyle i've tried to create. does anyone else get these negative reactions? i hardly dare to tell people my plans of self sufficiency.... i suppose part of it is because i'm fairly young,27, and go to community college and most young people i know like the city lifestyle and having their technology, tv, and cel phones close at hand. any thoughts?

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Absolutely! That's why we're here

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
yea! I love the "Look", just gives you a great oppertunity to share. I get it a lot from my side of the family. Although my husbands family all "get it".. So, I am really lucky that way. I have two boys in the military (one in the Marine Corp and one in the coast Guard), so thanks for the service Elizabeth, I cannot tell you how proud I am and thankful for the sacrifices.

Hopefully "the looks" will just spur you on.. glad you are posting and that you found us....You wont get "the look here"... :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey prairie_princess, great post, keep it up. Welcome , I'm pretty new here to and love it. Lots of very warm hearted and smart farmgirls that are here to uplift and help. Oh do I know the look, its not a mean look I get but that amazed look like I'm out from a different time zone. And I am much older and had that look when I was your age and it still goes on.

Yes you are so right, when others come to visit they love the lifestyle but they don't want to commit to it. It can get hard sometimes. We lived in the city too growing up so I know both worlds. I love the country life and all its wondeful adventures.

Our son is also in the Navy, a Seabee. He's doing well except he has not found a special someone, he doesn't talk about that so much. He may have to come back to his hometown to find her. LOL he'll be 26 this Oct. Still young, heck I didn't get married tell I was 27, now I'm a grandmother to 5th gandbaby due in Nov. : )

I think it would be awesome to be 27 living into days world, knowing what you all know and can make a difference.

In my early 20's we didn't have computers or even a TV at the time. I was living in the sticks and only did what made sense and what we had on hand. One herb book to get me interested in growing herbs, garden, canned and sewed. Camped outside , the whole works and LOVED IT.

You'll probably get those looks always, but know deep inside theres a craving in many that would love to do what your doing. And you know they could really do it in the city , we did, we had chickens , gardens , gosh we lived country in the city.

The last straw was when we were cooking steaks out on the grill and a firetruck came blearing up, a neighbor complained about the smoke. The Fireman shook his head in disbelief that one could do that. So the move was on to the country for my Dad,Mom, Sis and I. And all of us built our homes and stayed in the country.

You will have many tales to share as you homestead in your life. Keep a journal, I wish I did. You will have much to give.

Best to you in your adventure. This is the right place to be with like minds yet differences too. I like that.

tc linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

Edited by - LindaEllen on Sep 17 2008 07:20:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:22:56 AM  Show Profile
oh, one of my favorite questions came from my brother in law. my hubby was talking to him on the phone, telling him about our self-reliant country plans. his brother thought we were both crazy and asked "But, what will you DO for fun? what will you do without your tv and computer?" my husband replied "what did they DO back before there were tv's and computer's?" we both had a chuckle...
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:44:21 AM  Show Profile
LOL , some have forgotten, that is funny. I love hearing stories that my Mom who will be 83 later this month and her sister who is a yr younger tell of the old times. How they had to eat beans 365 days a yr. And had to hunt for food, no sport and super cool hunting gear about it , hunt or starve. They talked of gardens but hunting was more in.

I think the gardening is probably the most important of all and clean water. You can grow veggies in the city so its more of what is needed everywhere and can be done anywhere.

Are you looking into solar? Will you be building? We built an earthcontact home after living in a super old run down, the ugliest trailer home in the world. It has been who knows how many others home, our home, then the chickens home and now its home for all our junk and its still standing and still ugly. When are kids arms and legs started hanging out the windows from not having enough room , we started building.

tell more of your plans

tc linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth! I am also 27 years old and my hubby and I have been married for 4 years. We are very much on the road to being self-reliant and we get the look quite a bit. For starters, we have a 3yr old, 2yr old and a 4 month old. We don't have cable, we don't have cell phones. Instead we actually read books and play board games and we even go outside and let the boys play in the stream that runs through our little farmette. We have 5 goats 2 of which we will be milking within the next 4 weeks. We will not only use the milk but we will make butter, yogurt and cheese. Now without a doubt we are not off the grid...my hubby works for the state prisons!! Regardless, laugh at the look because when push comes to shove...you'll be glad you ignored "the Look" and they will wish they had joined you in your quest of self sufficiency!! The next goal we have is to turn our VERY expensive oil heat into a bio-diesel heater and use vegetable oil to heat our home!! Sounds cool but I just really hope my house doesn't constantly smell like McDonalds french fries! LOL
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I so admire you gals. I'll keep reading and getting inspired. I live in the city but have farmgirl experiences from childhood and I hand sew alot, knit, sew and crochet some of my own clothes and blankets. I like decorating with junk or used things. I like free things and the spirit of something that has been used or worn alot.
Since becoming a MJ Farmgirl I put up a clothesline that I love, also dry on an old fashioned wooden clothes rack, I wear aprons more...all handmade and spend ALOT of time reading these forums and participating in all types of swaps.
Keep sharing...I'm impressed. The look I would give you is pure delight and I'd say "tell me more about ya! Can I come visit?"

One day at a time by the grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile
I get the LOOK all the time too. I lived in the city. I've traveled extensively. But I am most happy sitting under an apple tree with a good book. I recently got the LOOK when I told a friend that I made my own laundry soap. She was like: "what are you? Amish?". This is from a girl that grew up country, raised steers, and went to an AG college. Like chicken necker said: this is why we are here......
Welcome and so glad you found us. This forum is life changing. Ask me. Ask anyone. I cant tell you enough how much my life has changed for teh better since i signed on July 7, 2008. I have been re-born!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda...come visit anytime!!! With three babies and goats and then my hubby working evenings sometimes all I want is some adult conversation from somebody who walks the same walk!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so funny! I get the LOOK all the time when I wear my apron around town. What can I say? It's better than a purse and a diaper bag for usefulness! My husband sometimes gives me the look but he is slowly getting on board!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  09:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I totally understand not liking big cities. I go to town maybe once a week and am so glad to get back to my little piece of heaven. I can really tell how far out I live when after I get to the crossrods 8 miles from my house I'm the only one that doesn't turn. I might get behind a tractor now and then, too.
Do you have land? And do you plan on having animals? That's why I like it here on this forum so much because there are SO many others like me and I don't feel out of place when I talk about my "babies"!
Ya'll probably think I don't do anything else but stay on here, but it is SO fun to see what ya'll are doing, too.
Please forgive me for being all over, but that's another thing about being in the country so far from everyone is I get a little bored with only doing farm stuff. And right now I'm waiting on the garden to keep me busy in the next few weeks. So bear with me please.!

By the way, my farm's name is Outback farm.

Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  09:21:41 AM  Show Profile
I actually get the opposite....... I think many people are trapped in their lifestyles and wish for something different. There are not many jobs in rural places, I really don't think people choose to live like rats.

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile
I get the look and "talks". Um could you not come visit me looking like you are amish, in your prairie hat, and apron. Um, I need the apron cause I'm about to be working, and the bonnet, is to protect my face against the sun/skin cancer, hello! lol haha They all think it's cute when I have my daughter dressed that way, but for me I get the "look", and the "lecture", what will my neighbors think, we live in Brooklyn, girl you can't come here looking like that. Well, if I can't be ME, then they need to get over them selves is my opinion! In a world where in Brooklyn, sometimes you literally can't tell a man from a woman-with women wearing under shirts, and doo rags n their head, I'm put down for wearing a bonnet, and a apron? lol haha Mixed up! And btw, I have never told any of the under shirt wearing, door rag wearing women, they can't come to my home, dressed like that!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  12:30:55 PM  Show Profile
OH, yea, from my family, co-workers, it seems anyone I have conversations with... when I told my daughter to use the homemade laundry detergent she (who is 25) wanted to know if we were reallyt that poor!!! But I'm slowly making progress with them all...hubby wanted to know what was up with all this, and I pointed out to him I was always interested in "all this" and just now have the time etc to put into making my life what I want it to be...Kudos to all you young girls making you life what you want now...
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  12:53:41 PM  Show Profile
yes, i love hearing stories from older women who actually had to live that way... my parents have a friend who was telling stories of how she used to be a ranch hand. she had to cook on a wood cooking stove for like 50 men! wow! that's one thing i'd like to try, cooking on a wood cooking stove... my parents have one they used to use. she says some of the best cookies she ever had she made on it! and cooked a whole thanksgiving dinner on it! quite amazing....
alee- i would like to do as much as i possibly can to become self reliant. my hubby is looking into solar and/or wind power, but i don't know what exactly he's found yet. he is one that wants to be ready just in case anything bad happens. i just want to rely on myself, not electric companies, maybe not even gas companies. i want to cut back on as much processed and canned food as i possibly can. if i get reall good at making some foods (like jelly, cider, cheese, etc.) maybe i'd think about selling some for profit.
i'm hoping that when i get good at making these things, people will be impressed. maybe they'll think about it and say "it's a good idea to know survival and self-reliant methods", though i don't know if alot of people actually think like that. my best friend from salt lake city came to stay... she LOVES it here and always says she'd love to live like that, but when she's here she complains about not getting cel phone reception. she has a $300 cel phone!!! i just can't imagine it. i'd get rid of mine, but it's just for emergencies on the way to town (you know those back roads!)
Misty - that sounds awesome! i'm glad there are younger generations like us who are interested in simple living! you must tell us how your biodiesel turns out!
and i think it's adorable when you gals talk about wearing your country gear into town! i want the gear, i'll have it someday. for now, when i work in the garden, i wear my australian cowboy hat because i don't have a sunbonnet yet... it does the job! and i love my snowboots! when girls talk about ruining their "snowboots" because you aren't really supposed to wear them in the snow, i like to thank my trusty snowboots that keep my feet dry and warm!
people even give me the look when i tell them i make nearly everything, foodwise, from scratch. i forget people use box stuff... my friend told me she was making stuffing and i asked her what recipe she uses and what she puts in it..."i use boxed stuffing" when i made everything, even cranberries sauce, from scratch for last years thanksgiving, she was very impressed.
ooh! and homeade laundry detergent! how fabulous! have you posted the "recipe" anywhere else on the board yet? if not, would you mind sharing? i'd love to make my own homeade cleaning supplies, too.
i have to say, i already love it here! and i've hardly posted anything yet! thanks for all your wonderful comments and stories!
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Well Elizabeth - you're in good company here. I think we've all had the odd looks now and again. Eventually, you'll find kindred spirits either on the internet or somewhere in your area, that will be as excited to support your plans as you are to try them. Just takes some time.

If your community college has ag or horticulture classes or depts you may find some like-minded friends that way. Also, if your area has a Farm Bureau with a Young Farmers nad Ranchers chapter you will certainly find plenty of country loving people to chat with.

Good luck and welcome to the forum,
Jenn
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile
I have been getting "the Look" for so many years I have lost count!! Welcome to the group, by the way~!!
I don't so often get the look from relatives or friends any more..but still..others for sure. WEll, my kids sometimes give me the looks, or politly ask me to remove my apron when we go to town (I tend to forget I have it on) and like that. People I don't know call me all the time to ask about things that I really thought more people did (cheesemaking, soap, embroidery, canning, sewing, animals, things like that) usually a friend of a friend will give them my number. I have made some good friends that way though.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  4:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- welcome!! When were you in the Navy, what was your rate? I was an OS and an AO. Welcome to the forums.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  06:58:49 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth: You can find most of the household recipes in the Cleaning Up section. Or email me directly. I have it sitting out. there are a bunch of links from the girls as to where they found the recipe or how to get the product and such. Its easy to get stuck in one are ahere so try to branch out! We are so pleased to have you in our "family"!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I get the "look " a lot and my mom calls me Laura Ingalls. I take it as a compliment whether it is meant that way or not! My kids get it. My husband has been totally won over, I think unless I wore my apron to town.
Morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  2:21:24 PM  Show Profile
I look at it this way - "That Look" means I am doing it right!

I am with Jo - I do not wish to be a rat in a maze - besides why is it everyone who lives in the city wishes they could be me??

Follow your heart and do not worry - besides when you get to be my age any look is a good look

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NatureNymph
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tracy
Barrie Ontario
Canada
73 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  07:20:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm 27 as well and I get the look. I find I am more on board with a self-sufficient lifestyle than my hubby is. He is currently in school (after retiring from the Air Force) and once he finishes his course we're moving to the country. However his new field is computer networking...so we need to be near a city which sucks since land is more costly near cities. It's a job he loves and we are trying to make the best of both dreams. Atleast we have chosen an area that is not like it is here outside Toronto.

I was recently at a bbq where a couple mentioned they had recently moved to the city I grew up in (Waterloo). They had moved from Toronto for his job and thought they were moving to hickville, a city with a population of over 300,000...I guess compared to the millions in Toronto, 300,000 would be a "Hickville". What I am trying to say is it's all a matter of perspective.

Right now I live in a small town an a decent lot but once we buy our farm we'll have completed the transition from city girl to farm girl. I must admit though I do get doubts every once in a while especially when we are stuck waiting.

You have to do what you know is right for you.

"Everybody likes to go their own way--to choose their own time and manner of devotion." Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  4:20:47 PM  Show Profile
oh good grief i'm 49 and have been getting "the look" for most all of it. I am really a city girl if location is the determining factor but I am a farmgirl in my heart. I live with the hubster on 2 acres in San Diego County and we are very near every citified convenience known to man. Still, I am trying to run a homebased business from the property - herb gardening & making herbal soaps and such. I wear overalls most days and have always done so. I tried to wear them for my senior high school portrait but my mother was having none of that! If I'm not in overalls, then I'm in a skirt with an apron. I go everywhere like this and have a great time chatting with folks that comment. I tell them about my business and look at "the look" as a marketing opportunity.
And....
I hope to buried in overalls.
bummer is...I won't get to see those "looks".
Love, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  4:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh yea, My kids thinks I'm crazy,hehe, My brother's call me Laura(little house on the prarie)
Welcome, welcome, you'll feel right at home.
Thank you for the service to our country!!!YOU Rock!
I have many military in my family. My son-in-law is career Marine, three tours to Iraq.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  5:56:51 PM  Show Profile
I just got the look today! I went to a flea market with my aunt and found the cutest apron. So I put in on and loaded my pockets with my wallet & etc. "My aunt was like: you are not going to really wear that are you?" Sure am! and I did! I got compliments all day on it!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone else get "the look?" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page