Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  10:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Are you already starting to think about Christmas gifts and winter plans?

I woke up this morning to a distinct nip in the air. I realized it won't be long before we will need to scrape windows of frost and then snow will be flying.

So do you have any crafts that you like to work on in the winter? Spinning, quilting, soap making?

Or perhaps you freeze fruit during the summer so you can can it during the cold of winter?

What do you have planned for this winter?

This winter I am going to wrap up projects that have been pending for a long time, get homemade christmas gifts made, and get my school work done for the semester!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  11:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Just started a big felt soft alphabet block for my grandson for Christmas and will be starting on lots of other gifts also. Planning on a teddy bear, crib sheets, blanket for him and some stocking caps for all my guys. Thinking bags/purses for my mom and one of my sisses. Thinking about some knitted or crocheted slippers and embroidered tea towels so lots in the works. Most of my sibs and us have decided long ago to keep gift buying to our immediate families so we don't have to scrimp on our own families to purchase for everyone else. That helps with the finances at holiday time too. Last yr. I made rum fruitcakes but the recipe I used called for too much cloves so think if I do that again it will be cut drastically...LOL. I also gave cookie mix in a jar and pancake mix in a jar. Home made jam....fun and yummy gifts. So lots to do and I want to get a jumpstart on things this year cuz I am slooooowwww....LOL

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  06:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am glad I am not the only one starting to think about christmas early!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Sewing, embroidering, cross stitch and all the other things I've had to put off in the interest of being in the garden. :) So much to do, so little time. DH would probably really appreciate it if I would fix holes in his work jeans. LOL!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  09:09:29 AM  Show Profile
Winter time, is my time for " house work ", something that does not get done the other 3 seasons, lol. But in late fall, once the place has pretty much been put to bed for the year, I work on all the Christmas presents that I decieded I was making this year. I only do for my kids and grandkids, other wise I would be doing for so many, that none would get done. I have 3 Grandsons, and they each get handmade gloves and stocking caps, and scarves, plus the traditional storebought underwear and socks. I also give each one a giftcard that can be used at any store, so they can pick out what they want/need themselves. Plus each one gets a whole day with Grandma, ( me ),to do what ever they want, no one else invited. For my kids ( including my 2 d-in-laws ), I make flannel pj's for all, pants for the boys and gowns for the girls, plus giftcards. Then after Christmas is over, I start my quilting and jewelry making, plus I plan on re-painting my bedroom this year and new curtains and matching bedcover and skirt. Now alot of this is I "hope" to get done, as far as non-christmas things go, but it will depend on the weather, cause if we have more nice days than bad weather days, I would much rather be outside doing.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  10:45:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm having a really hard time planning for the next 6-12 months. My job is going to end next April. I was hoping that I would be enrolled in some sort of academic program by fall and planning for some future career. But I keep running into dead ends. (Like, the advisor for an academic program I wanted to apply to telling me "Don't bother unless you've got a rich husband to support you 'cause there are no real jobs in this field.") Arg. I know the time is ticking away, but I'm just spinning my wheels here!
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  12:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amie---wow, that is tough news, I am sort of in your position. I've no solid job so I'm giving myself until October to figure out if I want to stay in New York City. It's hard to make other plans afterwards, and I guess it's also hard to think of winter at the moment as the thermometer keeps topping out into the mid 90's lately :)

Anyone looking for a farmhand, by the way?? :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  12:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
These plans all sound great!! My plans for this winter will be working on my new farmhouse. Well its not so new, but its new to me! I'll be working on making it a home for me and the BF.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  2:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amie- that's tough! What academic program are you looking at? My college starts back up September 10th for me. I am excited. I now have done a full year at MSU Billings and really like this college.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  4:20:12 PM  Show Profile
I have already started Christmas shopping. We have 8 grandchildren between my husband and I. I am going to try to take a wine making class in a month. I will be giving to bottles of wine I make as gifts to the adults we give gifts to. I am also going to make some sleep pants from pillow cases. I got this great book, it shows alot of great things to make from pillow cases.

Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  12:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Deborah, that sounds like a great book. What is the title and author please?

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  05:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I was looking into two: paralegal certification and history masters. I decided I really didn't want to be a paralegal after all, and the history program discouraged me from applying. Still not sure how seriously to take that: after all, that department head has a job, doesn't she? I really hate working in an office. I want to learn to make or fix something, but I can't afford to go back to working for minimum wage, so I'm kinda stuck.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  05:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Gosh...I have SOOOO many plans! As far as Christmas gifts go, it's going to be homemade again this year (jams, vinegars, etc.) We paired down considerably last year, and this year will be the same. I love to give gifts, but it's important to me not to put us into debt and last year was a very nice result (and a good lesson!).

We are doing a lot in the house, too. The kitchen: Revamping storage; putting beadboard panelling on ceiling instead of drywall; new flooring. Thinking of the old congoleum, but I have to see what's involved (maybe a chocolate brown and ivory checkerboard, OR chocolate brown and sage green. Not sure yet. Want it to be warm, though, whatever we choose. It's a small kitchen, so we are attempting to make it a place to eat in, and where Violet can sit at the table and do homework (still a ways away, thankfully!). But, for too long, Jus and I have eaten at the coffee table!!!

I'm also looking into school, Amie. They are offering grants for education degree candidates who would teach in rural schools (math and science). I'm thinking that, if I can do the program, I'll start teaching about the same time Violet starts school!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  06:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Me too, busy that is. I have a quilt to finish for our bed, woolen hats and mittens to make, sweaters, dishclothes, scrapbooking to finish up, toys and barbie clothes for the grandkids, canning to be done (I do that with freezing fruit, because I never have enough time during the summer, so the jams and jellies come later in the year, usually after the garden has been put to bed for the winter), cooking, baking, reading (if I ever get an extra minute), darning, sewing, ..... well, too darned much, that's for sure ;)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile
I can't wait! I love Fall & Winter and prefer colder weather.

~I plan on knitting. Some shawls for our church's ministry for the elderly. I would like to make the slippers in MJF's magazine and think that those would be great gifts for the gals.
~I desire to learn how to sew and just haven't had the time yet. So hopefully this winter.
~Canning. I do freeze alot of fruit and juices to can in the winter when the garden isn't tugging at me :)
~Organizing and purging some more :)
~For Christmas Gifts in addtion to jams, jellies, vinegars, marshmallows and home-roasted coffee, I want to make a recipe book. A friend and I made one 10 years ago and we've compiled alot of recipes since then. We named it Keepers :)
~Make Christmas Ornaments

Jonni, I am so with you on the debt thing. I WILL NOT go into debt for Christmas. We had done it years ago but for the past 10 or so years it's strictly been handmade unless we do have the funds.

Amie and Zan, I will be praying for you both for the Lord's provision :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone I like your plans! Haha, I want to know which book show you how to make wines. Someone is teaching how to make mead, so I figure once we get honey, we can work on this!

I love the kitchen idea Jonni! :) And the school idea, also. What grant is this? I wouldn't mind teaching in a rural school someday :)

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  4:17:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm not really thinking past October at this point. Our DD is getting married and I am eating, drinking and sleeping her wedding plans.

After the wedding is over...maybe I will be able to take a breath and consider what comes next.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  7:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Zan, I wish my little house was empty! I would so love for you to live here and do all that neat stuff here. You could teach me alot for sure. I would love to have bees and herbs and so much more. And I would love to just go away sometimes but can't because no one wants to milk goats. Anyway, my daughter and her hubby and daughter live in our little house next door but I have always wanted a farmhand to live there. That will hopefully happen one day when they move out. I keep looking in the market bulletin for that very reason. I can only dream now, though.

I just want to make it through the rest of summer right now. With all the fencing and animal situation here, I want it all done now! I will have more time when all the gardening is done. I want to start on all my homemade Christmas presents, too. And some heavy-duty house cleaning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  05:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Hehee, Kristin! Ok, I will have a little bag packed, just in case

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  07:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Zan- too bad you don't live in Europe. A couple big Straight Egyptian Arabian breeders were advertising for a live-in groom not too long ago.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  12:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Alee---DOH! Ahh well, my luck always runs strange anyhow. I'm sure something will EVENTUALLY pop up

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  1:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Zan- here was the ad I saw-

Job Offer at a Arabian Stud Farm in Germany.

If you like to work with around 20 Arabian Horses together with a second person for Riding, Schooling and young Horses please contact us for more details.

Michael Verhoeven
MURANA Stud
weidner@murana.de
www.murana.de

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  4:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Hehee, Alee, sure. Now all I have to do is move to Germany! Hmm.....

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  4:26:17 PM  Show Profile
I am gonna make some Christmas gifts for my "new found"family here, lol For Yarnmamma Linda YAY!!!!!!!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Aug 20 2009 4:28:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  12:30:22 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, The title of the book is dozens of ways to repurpose a Pillowcase...the author is suzanne J.E. Tourtillott....it has great ideas in it.
deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  06:08:32 AM  Show Profile
YES!!! i'm definately thinking of christmas gifts already... i have a list going most of the year, so that helps. anytime anyone mentions something they want or are interested in, i quickly write it down on my list which is always nearby in my wallet. it's one of the best things i could do because i don't have to do so much legwork around christmas time. and most of the time when people mention these things, they don't buy them. so when they receive them at christmas from me, it's more surprising because they had forgotten they wanted it! (i'm not crafty yet, so i havn't homemade gifts yet... but hope to someday!). and in recent years i start christmas shopping in october. then i'm not so stressed to be out in the hords of crowds at christmas time looking for gifts.
as far as winter.... i'm hoping to teach myself to knit. maybe go spend time with the MIL so she can teach me. and lots and lots of baking! especially trying new and different bread recipes. i find in summer i don't want to bake much because it's hot. but in the winter, it's a perfect way to stay warm!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What are your winter plans? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page