sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  11:59:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jo :) This is such an interesting topic isn't it?

As a historian, it's interesting to see how society today has evolved into a world where most families need two incomes to survive. How did we get this way? Was it with the rise of the middle class and their slow desire for more and better 'stuff'? Keeping up with the Jones' and all that until finally, both parents had to be employed to afford all that stuff? Or have our needs (and the cost of needs!) outstripped those of days past? Do the basics of life cost so much more than they did years ago? Do we get paid so much less than our ancestors did? Or do we just have more needs than they did?

Questions, questions. It makes me think of that great ABBA song: Money Money Money! Lol.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  12:08:09 PM  Show Profile
I think it's definitely our needs, and the cost of said needs. I've seen numerous studies recently (sorry, I can't think of one to link to off the top of my head) showing that, while the cost of food and consumer goods has declined over the past 50 years, the cost of big ticket items like housing, education, and health care take up a far greater share of our incomes. And wages (in the US at least) have been outpaced by inflation. The bottom line: we work harder now for less than we did in the 1950s-1960s.
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  4:13:54 PM  Show Profile
I worked out the numbers, using a few websites with the median incomes (before taxes) of the different jobs I do, and fell short of my previous quote but not by much. Here it is.
Teacher (one 5th grader, one 1st grader, one kindergardener and threw in the three year olds "preschool" for free) : 84,256.00
Clerk: 27,768.00
Driver: 22,776.00
chambermaid:16,956.00
Nurse in training: 32,232.00
masseur (yes, that's code for sex):18,950.00
cook : 12,376.00
recreation coordinator: 16,796.00
Laundry maid: 15,548.00
kitchen prep and cleaner : 11,700.00
childcare for 4 children: 37,856.00
total:297,214.00

I remember now, I threw in the rest because hubby is w/ the Marines, and deploys every other year or so, so then I get to add
dad, mechanic, plumber, yard maintenance, etcetcetc.
There you have it.
Hey, I want a raise!
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Edited by - fionalovesshrek on Sep 17 2008 4:15:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  6:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Meg--I was thinking of the same song...I have it on my playlist, and it finally came around this morning. Sadly, it is a rich man's world...

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Feminism? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page