Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How much money would it take???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How much money would it take??? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  4:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
For you to be happy? This was a question we are working on in my finance and ethics class. We were tasked with "How much more money a month would it take to make you feel happy, more safe, more comfortable, etc???" The basic end finding and point of this was that while money can help you get where you want in life, it does not take a lot. We are doing our own personal finances and it was really eye opening to see what even a small amount per month can do to change you life.

I started at $1500 a month but whittled that down to a realistic $500, which I can accomplish by substituting only 10 days a month. That I can do.

So, what amount would help you out? I find this very fascinating as when I factored in my $600, safety net grew quit a bit, as did the possibilities of paying down debt in a timely manner, savings, and retirement. I just found this all interesting that people were putting down like $4000- $7000 a month to see a difference. And mind you, I live on a military paycheck and I go to school full time.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- you are saying you could live on $500 a month or $500 a month _extra_?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  5:23:56 PM  Show Profile
I am happy with what I have now and could be happy with a lot less. I don't believe happiness or comfort have anything to do with money. Money can make things "easier" but I have found a lot of happiness in things I really had to work hard for.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  5:41:45 PM  Show Profile
I don't think that any amount of money can make you happy. You have to be choose to be happy no matter where you are financially. However, it would certainly be nice to have another $2,000 to $3,000 a month. That sounds like a lot but it would be nice to be able to save, help others, and not have to live to close to the belt all the time.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  5:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
$500 extra. The point being everyone thought they needed x amount of money more to survive or just be happy but the teacher showed us in reality how small amounts can help us reach our goals. This would be on top of your normal draw.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  6:21:48 PM  Show Profile
This is a cool subject...is anyone familiar with Amy Dacsyzn? She used to publish the Tightwad Gazette and has some books published by the same name. She saved $50K over a five year period to purchase her dream house while raising 5 small children on her husbands coast guard salary their highest annual paycheck was $35K. It's really just about planning and discipline isn't it? And I agree that it's not the money that makes you happy, that comes from someplace else...but a certain amount of financial planning sure takes some of the worry out of life doesn't it?

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  6:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Heather,
Smart professor. I have seen this study before. I think the point they try to make (correct me if I am wrong), is way to often people chase a career because of the money, instead of focusing on the "dream" just to discover that they could have made less and been happier, instead of climbing the corporate ladder. because usually chasing the career requires one to purchase things like (suits,and specific car, etc) that they may not have had to have while chasing the "dream" so the $$$$ never really goes to the family but is absorbed in the "chase". RIGHT?

I think it is a valid question~ Really if you were living your dream~ what would you be able to Live on?, If the focus was your dream and not keeping up with the Jones?

Thanks for the Question Heather~ I wish I would have grabbed a hold of that earlier in my life time, but am super happy that I get it NOW! You are such a smart cookie~

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Hard truth. I make $450 a month. No joke. Out of that comes child support. I KNOW I'd be happier with at least 500 more per month. I wouldnt be afraid to go to a doctor, or think twice about what I get at the grocery store. And I might have a little extra to spend on my kiddo.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  7:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
It would be fun to see how much "really" it would cost to live our lives the way we would want to. You Know, be able to buy (if we cannot raise) Grass fed beef, and organic fruits and veggies, always have what we desire for canning and planting, and sewing. We addressed this today in our women's church group. I asked if we could facilitate a place in the foyer where we could bring our surplus fruit and veggies and let those that don’t have gardens just take the extra home.. And what if we did that with our clothes, and furniture.. How different would the world look?

So just a thought~ last year I quit my job~ I hated it. I made good money, but I had NO time, no passion, no time for my kiddos (who were leaving the nest way to quickly for me) and I was exhausted,and sick. My life wasn't working for me. I went away by myself and really spent time asking the question, "What do I want my life to look like?" Cut pictures out and made a vision board (I know, I know) a lot of people don’t like them.. But, I have to tell you, for me, it kept my vision out front.. As I looked at the board this last week 3/4 of the things I had on the board, I now have active in my life. I make a lot less, I have more time, I can be the mom I dreamed of being, I have time to focus on the things that are the most important to me.. I had to choose to stop living my life on "auto pilot" and become purposeful. if the dream is $500 a month.. Then the next question is "HOW" what are you passionate about that you can produce an income of $500..... for me it was we could live off 1/2 of what I was making (and my hubby's income), SO I had to be open to opportunities that allowed me to not have to be gone 16 hours a day, something that was flexible and allowed me to be with my kids more, hubby more, and bring joy................Friends had told me for years that I was a good writer.. (I have always been a letter writer, and story writer and they have been my biggest cheerleaders), but I knew I was dyslexic (severe and I was afraid to step out and have people judge me or think I was stupid if I miss spelled something, or said something backwards. With my dyslexia I had to learn strong organizational skills and most of my jobs were using those skills... But I hated it.. I love that they were/are my coping skills but it wasn't where my passion was. So I took a HUGE step and started writing. and YES, people judged and some were mean spirited, but most were... positive, they loved my "voice" and my ability to connect with the reader that they 'forgave' the misses...........I believe that most of us can create the "wealth" we want by stepping out of fear..

I am almost always overwhelmed by the amazing amount of talent this group has, and it encourages me to push through the fear daily...........

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:40:16 PM  Show Profile
I would love 500 more a month, but with careful planning, I do okay with what I have.

I always joke that I am not greedy, I don't need the millions in the Powerball Lottery, I would be happy to get 100 thousand.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Rene, what an amazing story, I hear your voice and you arent even close

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Miss Wilma..
I "came into my own" a little later then some do. I love watching and listeneing to people and connecting them with either other people, or movements or sometimes thier own "abilities". I think it comes from being willing to "watch" and "listen" and "Observe". Like little miss Dawn here.. I hope you are all watching her over at the "danger of extention" thread.. I do believe a "star is being born"....

The of course it is all "bonus" when I get to write about the people I meet on the journey..

Miss Wilma, Someday I will make enough $$$ that when you are having your girlfriend gatherings I will be able to attend. I have it on my board :)

Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:59:47 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to have enough so that I could move to the country and thus be able to live on less $$$

I'd like to have enough disposable income to support my crafts, and to be able to travel a bit, but if I found my dream farm then I wouldn't even care about the traveling if I found a place that I truly loved :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile
I was always raised to believe that money doesn't correlate to happiness, and I never questioned it. UNTIL real life proved otherwise. Sure, great wealth alone won't make a person happy, but financial stability goes a long way towards providing peace of mind. My income went up suddenly by $10K/year when I got my first good job three years ago. I've noticed such a huge difference in my life since then. For the first time ever, I can take care of myself in an adequate fashion. When something breaks, I can get it fixed. When I need new clothes, I can go out and buy them. For the first time, I am able to plan for the future and think about tomorrow with hope instead of dread.

I think these are the kind of effects that Heather's professor was teaching about. And in that spirit, I can say with some certainty that I would be able to accomplish a lot more of the things I want to in life if I was earning another $1000/month. In concrete terms, that would put my income on par with my mother-in-law's social security income. If I had as much disposable cash as she does, I could get some stuff DONE.
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  10:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
$500-1000...just depends on the time of year...especially whit Christmas coming up...wow that would be nice!

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  12:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Not that we aren't happy right now (we are!) but I think an additional 1000$ would be just about right for us. We'll get there eventually as our little business grows, but it would be nice to have that 1000$ to put some into savings, some to charities, and what's left to traveling.

quote:
I believe that most of us can create the "wealth" we want by stepping out of fear..

Beautifully said Rene.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/

Edited by - sweetproserpina on Sep 17 2008 12:12:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How much money would it take??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page