Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  3:54:50 PM  Show Profile
I am starting to go through flour too quickly to simply keep small bags of it on hand, but I don't want to store larger quantities in the original bag. It goes rancid too easily, and I'm afraid of bugs getting into it if they get the chance. I don't really want something plastic, but still clear...so I suppose a glass storage container of sorts. You ladies have any ideas? What do you use?

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  4:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
What kind of flour? Usually white flour will keep a long time. You probably know it's the flour that good for you, whole grain flours, that are a problem. Do you have room in a freezer? I think that whole grain flours will all go rancid if kept too long at room temp even if they are in plastic or glass. I'd say gallon glass jars, tho. I have a similar question about whole wheat(spelt)spaghetti. I just bought ten pounds and am not sure it will keep at room temp by the time hubby and I eat it all.
Warmly

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

MaryP
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Mary
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile
I keep my flour in the original bag in a large rubbermaid type container. It's not clear, so no UV rays can beat down on it. I keep it in our basement, which remains cool year round.

This is what Pillsbury has to say about it:

What is the best way to store flour?
Store flour in an airtight container in a cool place (75° F. or cooler). For longer storage, place flour bag in a resealable plastic freezer bag and refrigerate or freeze. Properly stored, flour will stay fresh for up to 2 years.
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  5:23:21 PM  Show Profile
I keep all of my flour, sugar, corn meal all in our freezer. I have 4 lb. tupperware containers that I keep it in but I also store 25 lb. bags flat in the freezer, both flour and corn meal I store that way in our freezer.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  5:33:44 PM  Show Profile
I keep all my flour in origional bags, then in vaccume bags in the extra fridge out in the shop. I also keep my cornmeal and rye and whole wheat in the fridge or freezer. I live in KS but have to go to Joplin MO to buy flour that is milled in KS. Go figure. So I buy lots at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  06:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
oooh, you are so lucky to have fresh milled flour, I'm jealous!
I always keep my cornmeal in the freezer.
I think Jodi is trying to find a way to store her flour in something other than plastic, because of the outgassing issue tho, right Jodi?
Like I said before gallon glass jars would be one way. You know tho, when I lived in Arizona I used to have a galvenized metal garbage can with a good lid that I stored flour in. I washed it out really well, then I made a muslin fabric liner that fit over the top of the can, I believe it had a drawstring at the top to fit it and it also made the lid fit even tighter. But it was not whole grain and had a longer shelf life. I also had all my family home at that time and bake bread one or two times a week and I went through the flour.
Warmly,

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  06:25:07 AM  Show Profile
I used to keep my extra smaller bags in the freezer as well, my mom did it, so I did too.
Now tho, I buy flour by the 25 lb bags, reg white and bread flour. On my counter I have each in a seperate plastic container and in the basement I store the rest in 5 gallon buckets with lids. Same for my sugar.
I do keep my cornmeal in the freezer to keep bugs out and we don't use it that much.

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  06:46:22 AM  Show Profile
I mill my flour, so the grains are stored in an airtight bucket until milled. Once milled they are stored in the freezer. I do have a 25 lb bag of white flour that is used on occasion and it is stored in a rubbermaid container. I have never had it go bad.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  06:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
hey, I buy Organic whole wheat flour and it comes in a paper flour sack, then I just add the opened sack to 2 (organic cotton) pillow cases and stick it in the freezer.. ( I added a drawsting, but you wouldn't have too) and it seems to do just fine. I like the idea of the glass gallon jars which I do for the amount I keep in the cupboard.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile
I really like the ideas you've posted! I'm thinking I'll keep the amount I'm using in the glass jars in the cupboard, and then play around with the pillowcase/muslin with a drawstring storage method. I have some room in my freezer now, so I'll start with that! Thanks for the suggestions.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Storing flour Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page