Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:46:19 AM  Show Profile
I just saw the last half of a comm. on CMT yesterday. The one where the man and woman are in the park wiht a popcicle. The first thing that popped into my head was Adam and Eve and deception. So scary that SO many people are so ignorant about what they put in their bodies. And then wonder why they feel so bad all the time. Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I read an article recently (and I WISH I could remember where) that HFCS is being focused on like trans fats were a couple years ago...and for the same reasons. Contributing to heart disease, it's in EVERYTHING, and it's a nasty processed food. How wierd that I'm actually GLAD to find drinks with pure can sugar in them on occasion (like the Jones soda we bought at the county fair because we were thirsty.)

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh WHERE WILL IT END??!!! Sadly, as long as there is "M-O-N-E-Y" involved, probably NEVER! I have read quite a bit about HFCS and it's pretty scarey! The thing is, the human body does not even RECOGNIZE it as a FOOD. (because its NOT-- no matter what the "experts" say) What it does is makes the body crave MORE of it. That's why, when you go on a junk food bender (which I am quite guilty of more than I SHOULD be-- especially since I KNOW better!) you can't seem to stop EATING! You crave more and more of the foods that contain HFCS. Although, my own body is begining to rebel against food additives.

Last night we had "Nathan's" brand hot dogs and Kraft Mac-N-Cheese. Not a "Normal" dinner in our house, but a treat the kids had been asking for. Yes, it WAS a treat, but this morning I woke up and could hardly get out of bed-- my body was hurting so BAD! I KNOW it was from the chemicals in the food-- Nitrates in the hot dogs, God knows WHAT in the Mac-N-cheese! I won't be doing THAT again any time soon! I've also found out that ALL artificial sweetners make my joints ache something terrible. I've learned to drink my tea without it and try to stay away from any foods that contain them. Sigh..... but, if I want to be healthy, and if I want my KIDS to be healthy, it's up to ME to set the example for them. Thanks for posting this.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I bought some Hanson's soda a while back and after drinking about half I was full.

Did you know that one of the things about HFCS is that is shuts off the receptors in your brain telling you that you have had enough? In fact if I remember correctly HFCS actually encourages consuming more of it.

So I thought...hmm I can drink several cans of "regular" soda in an hour, but half or even one of the Hansons fills me up and quenches my thirst. Wow! What a contrast!

It really makes you think!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Yep. Sure does Alee! For one month I went on a total "junk" fast. No diet soda, no sugar (except honey), no processed foods of ANY kind. If I got hungry or thirsty away from home I read labels VERY carefully. I drank more juice (which I don't normally do because of the sugar-- even though it's natural!) and ate LOTS of salads and fresh foods. I felt SOOO good and had even lost 6lbs by the end of that month! Don't ask me WHY I didn't stick with it-- I got ahold of some chocolate or something, and that dumps me off the wagon EVERY time!!! I've vowed to get back on that wagon and STAY ON IT this time! I have 40lbs to lose by next summer and darned if I'm not going to do it! (Although, eating 3 fig bars for breakfast this morning isn't getting myself off to a very good start. Sigh.... oh well, I'll do better tomorrow!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  09:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Have you guys read "Omnivore's Dilemma"? I'm reading it right now - VERY interesting info about HFCS and our current food system (or lack thereof?). It's highly readable, I recommend it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I agree that the money issue, or should I say the greed issue is what really fuels all of this. All you can do is be aware, be responsible for what you are eating.
Alee, you probably haven't got back to the Mud Hens' hen house, but when you told me where you were from, I thought small world, I'm from Thermopolis.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  4:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue- That's Awesome! I loved going down to Thermop and swimming at the TeePee and the Star Plunge!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  5:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yea, I remember those days, we'd climb the fence at night and go swimming, snow would be falling, our hair would freeze on our heads,lol, you know, small towns don't have much for kids to do,lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  8:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ROFL! Oh you bad bad girl! I remember doing polar bears and then jumping back into the water! It never failed, we would always get a cold after swimming in Thermop though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  6:57:46 PM  Show Profile
You girls know that each of you holds the power to stop this. Gather your info, your facts and your stats and tell people. Tell the person looking at that snack-y food in the grocery aisle. Tell your loved ones. Make them watch the videos. If you influence ONE person, you've done "something". I just lost a loved one to diabetes, most people don't realize that TYPE II diabetes is COMPLETELY PREVENTABLE! By local, try organic, grown your own! Stand firm in your convictions and others will too! All you can do is try.... I keep saying if we stop buying a certain product the demand disappears... No demand, no product!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Last night my husband wanted cranberry juice usually made with HFCS but we discovered the Ocean Spray brand had removed it. It was a nice surprise.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  8:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Dawn I do. lol My husband laughs at me. Cause I literally stop people in the grocery store, when I can tell they are lost and confused looking at labels. If they have something in their hand I know is horrible, I just take it from them, put it back on the shelf, and take them to where the "good" stuff is! lol haha Meanwhile, giving them a little education on where to look and how to buy! lol And what to look for on the labels. lol So many are there totally confused. It's kind of sad.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. How do I know? My DH is diabetic. He refuses to eat 99% of all vegetables, won't excersie and thinks I'm a "tree-hugging hippie" because of my views on organic food. I don't care. I even refused to make one of his favorite meals, batter encrusted hot dogs deepfried with homemade french fries, deep fried, of course. I've decided I will not be an enabler to his illness. The odds I'll be a widow within 10 years the way he takes care of himself is too much of a reality. He truly loves me, but he won't do what it takes to take care of himself. He's a grown man, I can't make him, but I sure as hello don't have to help him destroy himself.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue- My grandfather was the exact same way as your husband. Before he died (of diabetic onset issues) he had to have one of his legs removed because of diabetes. Before he got as sick as he was, he was starting to have issues with his other leg and his arms!! I hope your husband wakes up to his condition before such tragedies befall him. *Hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Heather~keep it up! You will be known as the grocery warden!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
well, you gals will be glad to know you've helped at least one person here... i've been spreading the news since i read this blog. i've told a few people since then. including my hubby. i've started looking at some of my labels to discover what HFCS is in that we buy... luckily, we homeake alot of stuff and don't buy snacky items, so i'm not to bad off. i even discovered the majority of my frozen juices DON'T contain it! (except grape juice and lemonade). that makes me happy. and i'm happy one of you mentioned Jones' Soda doesn't contain it... it's one of my favorite treats so now i don't have to feel so bad about it, rather drink it than regular soda. though i don't drink much of that either. but i'd definately like to homemake condiments when i get the chance....
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  1:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great news, Elizabeth. You are usually pretty safe with the 100% juices, but the mixtures usually have some of it in there.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't believe it when I saw that ad for the first time! They did a "report" on the news about those commercials tonight. Of course, the corn people were all about how it's safe and natural. There was a scientist from I didn't see where (got to start wearing my glasses when I "watch tv"!), but his final word was that if there was to be truth in advertising, the corn people would be saying "It's just as bad a s sugar, use less"!!!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  7:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hello! It's worse than sugar if you ask me. Well, I don't know if it'll be worse than the new GM sugar coming to a supermarket near you soon.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  8:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Aren't the sugar beets harvested by now? I'm thinking it's too late to stockpile much in the way of sugar... not that we should be eating refined white crap anyway but oh well. We don't use much.

I spent HOURS trying to find out for sure if Hershey Co. would continue to take a stand against GM sugar beets in their products, but for the past year they have been quiet about it. I've written and called, but no response yet (when I called the gal that answered the phone knew nothing about it.) Links to write them yourselves are on my blog: www.frugaltreehugger.com - I just want to know I can make the peanut butter cookies with the Hershey Kiss in the middle of them for the holidays this year. That's all...

On the OT, it continually amazes me how many things have HFCS in them. I make just about everything for us now, from tomato sauce to bread, jams and other items. I try to ban soda, but DH still gets it occasionally. It does contribute to heart disease, it runs in his family and so he is pretty dedicated to eating better when I'm around.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  9:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Actually the sugar beets will be being harvested about now and up until the first frost. I know the Worland (my hometown) farmers were planting Round-Up Ready beets last year. I read about it when I was home for my wedding and was so disappointed!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  9:49:55 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a lively discussion I started. I am usually the quiet one.
My Mom works for a large food corporation based here in Minneapolis and she just winked at me when I told her how evil HFCS is, and I avoid it whenever possible.
Ironically, most of the stuff her company makes, she doesn't buy, unless it is the organic version.
My "hippie" ways have started to rub off on her a bit, she said she turns food over and checks out the ingredients now. Not that it stops her in some cases.
I will also try to inform a confused person at the store too.
Baby steps, ladies, baby steps.

All of this franken-food terrifies me. This is all stuff these corporations own up to doing/changing. What are they fibbing about or letting slide under the FDA radar?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Sep 21 2008 9:51:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  04:32:47 AM  Show Profile
hehehe Dawn, I think I am, already known as that. lol hahaha My family really hate to see me coming. You're diabetic and eating that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the food police. I am a fellow diabetic, (mine could not be prevented, I'm a type 1). And I hate it when other people tell me you're eating that, you're a diabetic you can't have that! And it's something I know I can! Cause they are just misinformed! But, I am informed, and yup I do tell other diabetics, they shouldn't be having that! lol hahaha Especially my family.

The thing that I hate is when others get on to me, and haven't noticed every thing else I didn't eat! lol For instance, I admit I LOVE white cake with buttercream frosting. I have it TOPS once a year. Maybe less then that. Only at a special occassion, like a wedding. And if it doesn't taste good I don't even finish it then. (the last cousin who got married, her cake was gross, I had one bite and that was it). However, if it's good, yes I will have a half a slice. And enjoy every bite. What every one around me doesn't realize, is I skipped all the other carby foods on that meal that day-no homemade mac and cheese, no bread, no potatoes, etc etc. Only lean protein-chicken or fish-usually fish. And veggies-like green beans, or what ever low carb veggie is available at that meal. To save up all my carbs and fat for one half slice of white cake! lol haha I still get harrassed about it. YET these police are the ones scarfing down every thing not nailed down! lol haha I just look at them now. lol Cause well....my blood sugar is in control, meanwhile, they are a good 250-300 lbs, and just cause they haven't had their blood glucose checked they assume they aren't diabetic. Yeah.....I would love to know what their bg is if they went to the dr!

Country wife, I don't make anything bad for diabetics (myself included) either. That's why I only have white cake once a year tops. It's cause I won't make it! I will eat some one else's maybe at a once a year special occassion if we even have one to go to that year. I had made a deal with myself if I hadn't had any all year, I could have one slice on my wedding anniversary, but I usually don't do that either. Cause my husband doesn't like cake, and I would have to make a whole cake for me to have one slice! So....I don't bother. He takes me out to a nice lobster meal, and that is usually satisfying enough I don't "need" the cake. And I don't like restaurant cakes (too weird tasting!) so I never get a slice for dessert when we are out.

But, that does get me around. No matter what dessert I bring to a family gathering every one poo poos it cause it's "diabetic". Last summer I brought a strawberry pie. (fresh strawberries, chillover, whipped cream in a pie crust) It was really pretty looking, and EVEN men were saying they wanted a piece of it, and they wanted a picture of it! Can you believe at least 2 men took pictures of it! And one of the men's wives said, well you know it's not going to be sweet, it's diabetic! But, I thought it was plenty sweet! The strawberries were delish! However, the husband said, I don't care, it's all the presentation, it's beautiful! It just makes you want to eat it! I said to myself, you go boy! lol :)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 22 2008 04:35:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  07:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Heather! Do you use Stevia?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HFCS-High Fructose Corn Syrup Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page