SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  7:12:21 PM  Show Profile
So. . .any ideas on what foods you like to have on hand for when the power is out? Canned stuff is good, of course, but sometimes you need baked something to go along with it. And of course, when power is off, water is off, so a lot of pans/pots aren't good. We have a coleman stove for camping that we use for power outages, but the water issue puts a crimp in it. Any ideas of what you like to have on hand to prepare? (easy storage is good, too) Thanks for any helpful ideas!

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  8:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi SheilaC, I think having all type of ways to heat up foods is a good idea. If fuel gets low to not at all then wood would be the best thing to have around. A firepit and having a Dutch oven for baking in. Theres no reason to not have the things we like to eat b/c the power goes out. Learning how to cook on an open fire before emergencies come up would be the thing to learn. Campers already know how to cook up good meals. Those that have their dinners come from a drive up window will be hard press if power goes off , or you can't get to the fast food joint.

Storing water is a must, your going to need it anyway. If you dry your foods you'll need liquids to rehydrate.

We were without power for two weeks in an ice storm in Jan around 7 years ago. We did have a fireplace so all cooking and keeping warm was done there. If your power goes out for long length of time the stuff in the freezer will need to be cooked up and ate. Hope its in the winter cuz the cold and ice will keep it longer.

As far as what foods to have on hand ,i say everything you would normally have, just have the right kind of pans and ways of cooking it in order. I am so getting a dutch oven this fall.

Check into solar cooking to. I cooked a dinner of cattails in a rigged up solar oven the first week of our marriage, my city boy hubby didn't mind either : )

Drying your harvest is probably the best ways to keep, great for storage too.

Its a good question you ask and we all should take stock of what we have for the just incase. Water and wood along with the foods you stockup should keep you warm and full for when the power goes out.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  9:46:04 PM  Show Profile
If you used cast iron to cook in, it can be cleaned by just heating it up burning off what ever is in it and wiping out the burnt stuff.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  06:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Sheila, I'm with Linda on storing water. The first place we had with a well, I learned that lesson the hard way. Now, we're on city water, but I store several gallon jugs of water still, anyway! Cooking over an open fire/coals is the cheapest way and generally available to most. A bbq grill also works well. I've cooked several things on top of our woodstove, too.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  06:21:52 AM  Show Profile
How do you store your water, and how often do you change it out?
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  11:21:48 AM  Show Profile
I store water in old gallon milk jugs or 2 liter pop bottles. I don't buy them anymore but I get them from friends and neighbors. I keep them under the corner bench in my kitchen which is a dark place so you don't get algae or anything. I've had water in them for a year or more and it still tastes fine. Never had a problem. I always have enough to be able to boil something, make coffee/tea, wash hands and face and clean up for a week or so.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  11:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Be aware.... milk jugs have a tendency to deteriorate after time. I won't go into WHY I know that! What a mess.... I like 2 liter pop bottle best because they are "tougher" and easier to store. I also try to fill up my empty canning jars and put the used lid back on. Good water storage and keeps the spiders out of the jars. You can always put a drop of bleach in your bottles and it will keep it clean longer.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  1:51:15 PM  Show Profile
Years ago our power was out for over a week due to an earthquake. We just fired up the BBQ (non gas) and cooked that way. Even things that cook in a pot went on the BBQ. Now I have a generator (3500 watts) that can run the fridge, freezer and microwave when we need it.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  10:09:23 AM  Show Profile
cast iron corn bread and other flatbreads are pretty easy over an open flame or on a grill. The trick is to make these items before hand so you have some idea how to do so. then converting to a different cooking method won't be as much of a shock. I plan to make up some crackers when I get home. You can make mini sandwiches out of them. Bread is also a dryable commodity, hence traveling with it from years past. I'm pluggin this book again, but I am just loving it. "Flatbreads and Flavors, A baker's Atlas" by Alford and Duguid. There are so many cultrues that get by without an electric stove. We have just forgotten.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic power outage foods Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page