Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Any Other Pasta Makers Out There??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any Other Pasta Makers Out There?? Next Topic  

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  10:17:31 AM  Show Profile
I found a wonderfully easy recipe for homemade pasta that involving the food processor (the greatest invention since sliced bread!!). I can share it if anyone is interested . I'm addicted to homemade pasta now and it goes so well with ANY pasta sauce! Last night I made a sauce for my homemade pasta out of sweet homegrown onions, garlic, vermouth, chanterelle mushrooms, fresh thyme, and a little cream at the end. Ohhhh baby was it good! I sort of made the sauce up myself but if anyone wants it I can sort of put together a real recipe.

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  10:33:56 AM  Show Profile
I make my own pasta, any chance I get. Nothing fancy though, just egg and flour. Put it through my kitchen aid attachment. It is so good!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  11:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Nigella
Please share!!
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile
I love to make pasta too! I actually make it at work...we have a big pasta roller (I have the kitchen aid attachment at home but i never use it because the one at work has spoiled me) which is really great mostly because its so heavy that it stays put...
Right now we have sun dried tomato pasta on the menu.
Nigella, your sauce sounds delicious....I especially love Chantalles!
What is your pasta dough recipe?
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  5:24:26 PM  Show Profile
New to pastamaking but totally hooked - it's so much better than storebought and I can use local flour. WHOO! :) Love to hear your recipe!
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Ok gals here we go!
This recipe I found in Reader's Digest Homemade (great book by the way).

Processor Dough Pasta

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/4 c. water (warm seems to work best for me)
1 T. olive oil
1 t. salt

Fit food processor with the blade. Combine all the ingredients in the food processor. Process the dough until it rides up in the center, 20-30 seconds. Lightly flour your surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes or so (great farmgirl kitchen workout!). Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes before rolling.
I have a pasta machine so I just slice the dough into workable pieces at this point and run them one at a time through my pasta machine. I only run each piece of pasta through each size setting twice. I also only go up to size 6 (second from the last size) and I only run my dough through that setting once. I flour the surface of my dough when it starts to feel sticky. After I've run it through the actual pasta slicer I put a handful of flour down on the same mat I kneeded on and I just toss the pasta around in the flour until it's well coated and not sticking to itself. Then I just pile it up on the edge of my kneeding mat ! After I've finished running the last of my dough through the machine I sort of spread the pasta out a bit to dry. I don't bother with the hanging thing . At this point I either use some right away (through pasta into boiling water, without salt added to the water, and boil for just a couple of minutes, I usually just go by the way the pasta looks), or I leave it out on the mat to dry over-night. Then I just plop it into a container with a lid for storage (yes it tends to break but that's ok with me!).

This amount seems to work well for our family of 5 for a couple of nights worth of pasta dinners. Don't worry about the pasta sticking together as it's drying, as long as you have floured it well it will all come out nicely as soon as it hits that boiling water!

Also, since I do fairly heavily flour the pasta to keep it from sticking together I would recommend cooking the pasta in plain water before adding the pasta to soups etc. I learned that the hard way! Comes out very doughy tasting .

Anyway, enjoy ladies! I've used all sorts of different sauces and soups with this pasta and haven't found one I didn't like (including adding it to an Asian style soup!).

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any Other Pasta Makers Out There?? Next Topic