Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  4:54:16 PM  Show Profile
Well- canning season is in full swing and I have been putting up apricots, peaches, salsas, spiced honey for colds and I will start on fruit sauces in the coming week.

I just love picking out fabric to cover the lids with...here is what I am using this year. I suppose I could tie them on with twine to make them even cuter. By the way- I have extra fabric circles, I will mail you a dozen of one or mix and match them for $6 a dozen.

What are you all making? I am just getting into canning so I am always on the lookout for good recipes.
Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  5:27:06 PM  Show Profile
adorable!! I love to do that when I give a gift of something that fits in a jar too. The charm pack squares look cute on top of jars too. You picked such fun prints!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  5:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- I never thought of the charm pack squares, how simple. I bet old hankies would be lovely as well, you could tuck some bath salts or loose tea into a jar for a sick friend with a hankie on top!
How is your canning going so far?

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile
Rebekka - those look great. I do canning for gifts every year and this year I was planning on doing fabric - now I am doubly inspired.
We drove down to the Moscow Farmer's market last weekend and bought boxes of peaches and pears so I have been canning peach and pear jams and butters.
Cheers!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Amy- I just finished canning 35 pounds of peaches from the farmers market- next time you come down let me know and we can have a cup of coffee! Those pears are divine- next week I am getting lots of the apples and pears to make into sauces. I just need to find those little bitty jars for butters.

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  8:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message

Rebekka,
I just finished some fermented pickles.. YUM! We had some of them tonight~

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Rebekka - I will do that, we only make it down to the farmer's market once or twice a summer as I usually work Saturdays in Spokane. I would like to get apples there though, such good stuff!! And way cheaper than the Spokane farmer's markets for some reason. I do come down to Moscow once a month or so to shop at the co-op
Happy Canning!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  08:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful pickles REne!!
I am just getting into my canning season big time here. Salsa and jams mostly right now....green beans, pickles and mixed veggies a couple weeks ago....peaches this week later on and apples soon. I have to buy boxes of apples this year since my trees had none..late freezes this past spring...I need to go out and pick tomatoes again today and peppers too...I plan to do more salsa tomorrow..or maybe tonight if it goes well. I have been canning up things like meatballs too...very handy for winter meals on busy nights..some in bbq sauce, some in mushroom soup sauce..yum!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 09 2008 08:17:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  3:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Rene- You are making me hungry!!!! I have never made pickles but they are my favorite food;)

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  5:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny tell me about canning the meat balls sounds like something I would like to do, I canned a lot of homemade soup and always can fresh pork

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  5:22:06 PM  Show Profile
I did peaches last weekend! yummy. dried some zuchinni too. Apples in Oct when I get back and they were the best I had ever had! I had never seen this gentleman at the farmer's market, but I just drooled. I like apples ok, but they aren't the fruit I grab for if other options are available. I can't wait to can up a box ofthem.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  8:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Rebekka:
Those apricots and peaches sure look yummy!!!!! You mentioned "spiced honey for colds", I never heard of that. Would that also work for a sore throat. I have a horrible sore throat and would try anything to make it feel better! LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  9:23:08 PM  Show Profile
Wilma...the meatballs are really easy! I just make my usual meatball recipe (in my case beef and elk with spices we like and bread crumbs) and then bake them off a little in the oven...not until REALLY done, but browned a little and the grease baked off...then using tongs put them into the hot jars while they are hot..not packing them down, but fitting them in there pretty good...then I either pour homemade bbq sauce, sweet and sour, or cream of mushroom soup (diluted with 1/2 can or so of water) or even beef broth to cover them...leave 1 inch headspace at the top and pressure can for 90 min. It would be at 10 lb pressure most places but we are high altitude so I have to do 13 to 14 lb. They turn out really nice. I make meatball the size of a walnut in it's shell usually and do quart jars most times. I like to can up chicken chunks and seasoned taco meat too...alot of time in the canner...but 7 quart jars are usually enough for 7 meals for us. (we need two jars of the meatballs though) or you can do about 10 or 11 pint jars instead if you need smaller amounts. My grandma used to can up sausage patties even!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:49:37 AM  Show Profile
Marly-
I think it would do wonders...and it is so easy! It tastes very different from regular honey- spicy and citrusy which is great for colds;) Feel better.

Here is the recipe from the Ball Blue Book.

Spiced Honey

1 lemon
12 whole cloves
3 sticks honey
2 2/3 cups honey

Cut lemon into thin slices (6). Place 2 cloves in each slice. Put lemon slices, cinnamon sticks (they must be able to fit in your jar so go for the little ones), and honey into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Place two lemon slices into each jar and one cinnamon stick. Ladle honey into jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps and process in a boiling water canner for 10 min.

Yield- 3 pints

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
At one time I had a thought of starting a thread Like a virtual Country fair.. Sounds like we would have a lot of blue ribbons....

I started fermenting when I got sick and learned that many of the things that we buy now that were suppose to be fermented foods, dont have the live enzymes to help our bodies like pickles~ they are chemically pickeled at high heat~ So tech. a dead food....where if you ferment like MJ shows in her idea book.. the good bacteria from the fermenting process actually is a healing food...So it is yummy and great for you.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  7:06:41 PM  Show Profile
I saw a recipe for pickled eggs today!! If I had extra eggs I would try this! wow

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  8:42:31 PM  Show Profile
I do pickled eggs many times when I have extras and can them in pint jars. YUMMMMM! My second son loves them so when I know he is coming to visit from Calif I make sure to have some on hand..he always takes a few jars home with him too.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  7:37:11 PM  Show Profile
So. . .pickled eggs? My husband has mentioned that he loves these, but I thought he was just kidding! Nope, he's still asking for them! Can you really can them? Or do you just make them for in the fridge? Info please!! I think his mom just did hard boiled eggs and made them with pickled beets and served them that week. So Jenny, can you fill me in? (By the way, you're really quite a great canning resource for me!! Thanks for all the help and information!)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  9:06:25 PM  Show Profile
You are so sweet Sheila! Yes..you can really can them...I think I have posted my recipe before. If you do a search and don't come up with it let me know and I will post it for ya. They are only water bath canned and yummy. You can do them fresh too..in the fridge I mean, but I like to have them on hand..they are nice sliced on top of a salad, or whole with salt and pepper too. I like them in the fridge in the pickled beet juice too though. Pickled beets are one of my very favorite foods!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  1:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Found it! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Season Next Topic