CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:49:08 PM  Show Profile
START ON PAGE 24 in Frannieville for photos and stories of our Gurlfren Gathering in Kentucky! xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 15 2008 12:30:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lodi
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Brenda
Upton Kentucky
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  2:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Thank You Miz Frannie, for copying my post. I am Computer Challenged...teehee Also the humor about husbands and wives were great. More truth there some may think...I was once married to the guy in all of them.

Brenda
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile
FRIDAY .. on the way home from the airport .. we stopped at Papa Murphy's for their deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious PIZZA . .it think we got about five or six of them ... brought them home and baked 'em and DEVOURED them!!! i had gotten some salad fixin's too .. but either we got too busy or too full to make the salad .. or hmmmmmmmm .. it mighta' been that we filled up on all the yummy desserts the Friday night gurlz brought with them!

precious karin (georgia) and sister dayna (florida) ... (who became known as dayLa .. cuz' i thought that was her name and kept calling her that!) brought this bountiful basket full of goodies! EGGS from her very own GIRLS (chicks!) and so many other yummies .. (i've worked my way through that package of pecans already!) so many sweet offerings! thanks gurlfrenz!

jo (north carolina) not only baked these deeeeelicious blueberry muffins .. she also picked them from her very own blueberry bushes!

pistachios, halloween yummy mix and sumpthin' i think i'm supposed to 'cook up' .. smells so good, i might just put it in a bowl .. pour milk over it and eat it like cereal!!! thanks dear BETTY JO .. and ohhhh haven't i turned positively GREEN from eating so many pistachios!!! (my FAV nut!) OBVIOUSLY .. PECANS are too!

JO made these COWBOY COOKIES .. the best cookie i've ever eaten!

thanks for the kindness gurlfrenz .. bringing so many delightful yummies and gifts to me!

and THIS is jus' FRIDAY night girls!!!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 14 2008 2:28:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  5:25:45 PM  Show Profile

Saturday, October 11 ... about 25 of uz gurlfrenz descended on Glovers' Station for some 'tiquin' ... and the 'good 'ole boyz were already startin' to arrive. i just love small town living! they had grins and howdys for all of us as we poured out of bunches of cars .. rushing to get through the door to start 'shoppin'!

just had to show this little sewing bird that robin found .. the little scissors are his beak!

how CUTE is this!!!! lots of gurlz found lots of great things! we were in there a LOT longer than i had ('HA!') ... 'scheduled'! LIKE GURLZ CAN STICK TO A SCHEDULE!! ... NOT!!

that darling KLEDITH (oh lordy how i do adore and love her!!!) was kept busy for over an hour writin' out tickets for our treasures!)

all in ONE booth .. i found dozens of wonderful vintage hats .. we each 'donned' one .. most often befitting our personality!
i'm hopin' i didn't leave anyone out! if i did .. they were probably STILL shoppin'!!

i could go on and on and on with stories with WONDERFUL adjectives describing each and every one of these precious frenz .. but for now .. i'll jus' tell you their name and a word or two.

Millie .. from GREENSBURG!! A sweet SPIRIT .. an
ANGEL child!

PAT .. born in Australia (a dolly club member from Maryland)
my little darling!

Mary .. dolly from maryland. sooooooooo CREATIVE
and FUN!

Ada Mae .. Green County, KY .. supurb apron-maker!!
how wonderful to FINALLY meet her!!!

Pam .. from Kentucky ... what a darling .. she visited when
maryjane came last year too!

Chris .. from Texas AND Kentucky .. it was such a delight meeting her
and i can hardly wait until she moves here forever!

Angel-pie Cathy Cobblestone ... she's my 'soul-child'!

adorable! adorable Rita .. she never parts from me that
she doesn't tell me she 'loves me' .. how precious!
(we share a booth at Glovers' Station')

Mama Joy! Oh JOY! she was so perfectly named.
She 'took care' of me all weekend!

Free Spirits .. Pat (clotilde) and Robin (Beulah) travelled far to join us ... what a blessing!!! A mother and daughter's love was so abundant in pat and robin!

ADORABLE and PRECIOIUS Karin and DayLa .. from Georgia and Florida.
you knew you were in the presences of happiness when with these two sisters.

Darling Betty Jo! I was soooo very thrilled that she joined us .. cute, fun, adorable, dear!

Sweet, quiet, gentle Brenda! I am blessed to know this sweet soul.
and i look forward to having much more fun with my new kentucky gurlfren!

Jeanne .. seemingly 'quiet' but with a 'wit' and 'song'
that brings smiles to your heart. Jeanne is one of my 'dolly friends'
from maryland!

Marty .. who is one/third of ME in Maryland. Marty
holds my heart. We have shared so many precious moments together.

Sally. Dear, adorable Sally. from Louiville and sometimes
closer to greensburg. I met sally at our Garden Club .. and she
is a delight and joy! (and gathers the yummiest honey!)

JO .. found a hat befitting her personality .. a cowboy hat to go with her delicous cowboy cookies. JO and i have shared 'many lives' before this one i just KNOW! Our heartstrings are intertwined from the very eginning of time. I love you sweet Jo .. forever and forever!

my other one/third .. CYNDI .. who can make you laugh and cry
all in the same sentence! We were 'joined at the hip' from the moment we met! I think i must be the 'soul' of one of the two triplets that were born when she was born. Cyndi is one of my Maryland dolly friends too!

Timmy and Amy .. a couple 'made in heaven'!!!! This is the third time i have gathered with Amy . .and she is absolutely ADORABLE!

three of my 'soul-sister's .. Robin, Pam and Glo. i can't even imagine a life of not knowing them .. the joy and fun and giggles they bring to all they meet .. i thank god they came into my life and pray they will be there forever and ever!

WELL .. for someone who was going to keep the introductions of the gurlfrenz short .. i jus' had to tell a 'few words' of them from my heart!

There are many more gurlfrenz to meet as our day travels on! These are the ones that met up in Greensburg.

HA! i taught the gurlz the 'trick' of posting with your hands under your chin .. to hold up two or three of them! Darling Kledith jumped in for our 'kodak moment' too!

First row .. left to right: Robin .. Marty .. Mary .. Frannie .. Pat .. Pam .. Glo .. DayLa
Second row: Jeanne in striped dress .. big smile and leanin' in for a good shot!
Third row: Millie .. Pat .. Cathy .. Rita .. Joy .. Betty Jo .. our other Robin.
Fourth row: Sally .. Ada Mae .. Kledith .. Amy .. Brenda .. Chris .. Karin

hope i didn't forget anyone!

PURE JOY!!!!!

thank you God .. thank you Universe .. thank you Gurlfrenz
for being in my life! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  5:51:42 PM  Show Profile
oh gurlfrenz .. i heard a man being interviewed the other day .. and LOVE his idea! it's all about NOT COMPLAINING .. AT ALL!!! i so often see posted on forums and bulletin boards on the internet (sadly ... including our very own farmyard).. lots of what i call "'whinin' and complainin'" ... i'm going to get his book (i already have the BAND) .. and see how long it takes ME to go 21 days without even ONE complaint! why don't we all do the same. and if you watch the 'threads' here .. and see 'complainin' .. then perhaps 'switch YOUR wristband for the gurlfrenz .. and mayhaps your love and energy and good 'vibes' will go out to them. at the very least, if we read our words carefully BEFORE hitting the POST button .. and if we see we are COMPLAINING .. perhaps we might be reminded to 'switch our words' .. so we don't have to 'switch our bracelets'. it truly would be a more wonderous world.

The Rev. Will Bowen, a minister in Kansas City, encourages people to wear a bracelet that he hopes will remind them not to grouse or gossip for 21 days.

the name of the book is: A Complaint Free World: How to Stop Complaining and Start Enjoying the Life You Always Wanted .... by Will Bowen (Author)

Kansas City, Mo.
The Rev. Will Bowen never intended to launch a worldwide movement. He simply made a suggestion to his parisioners one Sunday about how they could improve their lives with the help of a wrist band. Today he's sent out more than 5 million of them to 80 different countries – and has unwittingly unleashed one of the biggest self-improvement crusades since Dale Carnegie.

Not that he's complaining, mind you. And that's precisely the point. Mr. Bowen has given up complaining – well, mostly – and he wants the rest of the world, all 6.6 billion of us, to do the same.

Bowen believes there is a direct correlation between an excess of global grousing and why the world is not the way we would like it to be. He thinks what the world needs most is for people to stop griping and start focusing on the way things should be. "I strongly believe that our thoughts create our lives," Bowen says, sitting in his tidy office at Christ Church Unity in Kansas City, Mo., where he is the senior minister. "Our words indicate what we're thinking."

When Bowen first made his suggestion in that now-serendipitous sermon in July 2006, he simply urged his congregation of 250 to shift their focus from lack to abundance by giving up complaining for 21 days. It's the length of time, he said, that it takes to break a habit.

To reinforce his message, he handed out purple silicone bracelets stamped with the word "Spirit." Those who accept the challenge wear the bracelet, moving it from wrist to wrist whenever they catch themselves complaining. Those who manage to keep their bracelets on the same wrist for three straight weeks are issued a "certificate of happiness."

Countless positive thinking techniques and self-help programs have come and gone in the decades since Norman Vincent Peale launched a cottage industry in the 1950s. Maybe it was the purple bracelet, which was Bowen's own twist, that attracted millions around the world.

"The real magic of the idea is the switching – taking it off, going back and forth," says Bowen. "Complaining is like bad breath. You notice it when it comes out of somebody else's mouth, but not when it comes out of your own."

The no-complaining idea struck a chord. Word of the initiative spread and the church began getting requests for bracelets from around the world. Bowen set up a nonprofit group, A Complaint Free World, separate from the church, and recruited volunteers to fill orders. He started giving dozens of media interviews, appearing in People magazine, and hobnobbing with Matt Lauer on national TV. One day after Bowen appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show last March, he received orders for more than 2 million bracelets. Today, requests are holding steady at about 25,000 wristbands a week.

here's a REVIEW that i read .. it sounds like a WORTHY read and advice!!!!

The author does a tremendous job of gently pointing out all the things about complaining that are both negative and futile:

+ complaining is about what you cannot have or get--get over it
+ avoid chronic complainers, the disease spreads
+ Takes 4-8 months to move from unconsciously incompetent to unconsciously competent.
+ Complaining traps you in a constant state of "something is wrong."
+ Complaining is a form of manipulation
+ Instead of complaining seek alternative language or BE SILENT
+ Silence is mature self-possession
+ Commit to what you want and go after it--WITHOUT COMPLAINT

what a happier world and more peaceful people we would all be!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:49:50 PM  Show Profile
next stop: Green County Historic Courthouse!

one of my most favorite people in the world! Nan Montgomery ..
she is one of the main reasons that hank and i settled in Kentucky.
she is one of the first women i met .. and charmed me with her light
and delight! and her love for Green County and Kentucky! When
hank met her .. he told me "if Kentuckians are as nice and kind as
Nan is .. this will be the PERFECT place to live!" We have found this to be oh so TRUE! thank you sweet Nan!

Nan is so very knowledgeable about Green County, our olde Courthouse
and our 'stories'. She shared these with us in a wonderful program that introduced our friends from "off" to our wonderful town and county!

sitting in the olde courthouse waiting for the other girls to 'finish' paying for their Glovers' Station goodies so they could join us. EVERY moment of our weekend was so wonderful!
DayLa and Karin are in the front pew .. and from left to right ..
second pew is Sally, Robin, Mary, Pat.
Third row: Jo .. Pat (Tilda) .. Frannie in the funky hat i got from JO! .. Betty Jo and Jeanne.
last row .. not sure who is hiding behind tilda . but it looks like betty jo next to her ..
then robin, chris and brenda .. sweet millie is standing with the forever smile and twinkly blue eyes!

========

we walked past our historic buildings and hotel that Sam and Mimi Moore are bringing back to life .. Allen's Inn where President Andrew Jackson once spent a night here in Green County .. past our adorable olde Clerk's Office (one of my two favorite historic buildings in town .. the other is the Jeremiah Abel cabin ..ohhh .. i wish i'd thought to have Rev. Charlie meet us there with a key .. but HEY .. we'll include THAT olde log cabin in our spring time HISTORIC tour gathering!!! AND .. we'll get Mimi to show us the HOTEL they are renovating .. SOMEDAY .. we will all gather THERE!!!

then to our Circle of Friends Garden ... Local artist Warren Wolf did the trellis and the carving!! A lot of the gurlz gathered their 'Grateful Rocks' here!

SISTERS! SISTERS! (Karin & DayLa)
if rainbows sang .. this is the tune you would hear!

some of the paintings of Green County scenes on our Water Tower Building by Trena Corbin. AWESOME!!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 14 2008 10:54:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:08:24 PM  Show Profile
After our 'walk-about' the historic square .. we arrived TWO HOURS LATE (god love the mayor for not only patiently waiting for us .. but greeting us in a HAT and a SMILE!)

now this POLITICIAN -- remember the name Lisle Cheatham from Kentucky .. and when he becomes a Presidential candidate someday ... VOTE FOR HIM!!! he is the hardest working, most dedicated Mayor i have ever known .. and CUTE too! We all just ADORE him and RESPECT him and LOVE him!

here our MAYOR 'models' the 'farmgirl travellin' apron! Thanks for being such a 'good sport' Mr. Mayor!!!! HA! perhaps when you ARE running for President someday .. this photo will surface and ALL the farmgirls all over the nation will vote for you!!!

We visited our beautiful new LIBRARY .. this 'scene' of Greensburg
was painted by our Arts Club ladies. Isn't it WONDERFUL!

And Trina Corbin .. who painted all the paintings on the 'watertower' (i'll post pics of those soon too!) .. painted the entire side of this olde building that is being renovated for our future ARTS CENTER (are ya' listenin' town of Greensburg!!!)

The Mayor came out for a 'kodak moment' with us!

I cannot thank the City and the Mayor and Nan and Kledith enough
for showing us a fabulous time in sharing our Greensburg with all
our visitors.

Jo said the moment she came into town .. what a fabulous
'art community' it looked like .. and that we should ALL move here and have businesses and support each other and 'our town'. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

O.K. now THIS is where i got that nick-name that rhymes with "WITCH" ...

At Art Class last week, i got to meet the beautiful Linda Puckett from Texas. She and her husband bought THE ACADEMY .. remember .. i told you that this was the school and home of MENTOR GRAHAM who was Abraham Lincoln's teacher (when he was an adult).

It is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful both inside and out!

It used to be a B&B .. it is the first place that hank and i spent the night together when he first visited here. Then it went up for sale and the Puckett's bought it.

We took a likin' to each other and she said if she didn't already have commitments in Texas .. she would change her flight plans and stay for our gathering!

And she told me that if i wanted my friends to stay HERE .. they were welcome to!!!!!

I knew she was leaving town to return to Texas on Saturday .. and although it was a VERY sweet and kind offer .. and if she were going to be in town .. i might take her up on her kind offer.

BUT ...

I thanked her .. and said 'not this time' ... but ... perhaps at our next gathering .. we can all visit her .. and have dinner together.

WELL! when the gurlz saw where they COULD HAVE stayed ..

in unison .. i heard them all say WITCH (with a B)!!! We laughed and giggled over what 'almost was'!!!

Think Spring gurlfrenz .. and if sweet Linda is in town .. i'm sure we shall visit her and her beautiful home! AND .. i want for you to see the wonderful historic home of dear friends Bill and MaryLou Lingle too! Next spring .. i think our theme will be "historic places' .. with touring and antiquing!!! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  12:17:52 AM  Show Profile
about THREE HOURS late .. we finally arrive at Kathy Sugarbucket's
AMAZING home and log cabin! FIRST .. we all rush into the log cabin and the surrounding grounds where there is a 'plethora' of WONDERFULS! More Treasures are collected by each of us!

The ever smiling and adorable ELLEN and Kathy greet us showing us
a sample of our 'autumn garland' made from 'nature's bounty' that we
will each be making in her afternoon class!

And Kathy has packaged each of our kits so beautifully too!

those darling sisters, karin and dayLa find their 'special spot
to sit and create!

Cathy and Ada Mae have the perfect little side porch to sit upon to
create and chat.

Chris and Mimi share giggles ..

Brenda peeks into her baggie of goodies

that sweet GLO (and what a perfect name for her .. cuz' she DOES!)
has found her little chunk of earth to sit on to create her garland.

jeanne is gittin' down to biznezz with a mos' serious look'
upon her face. jeanne ALWAYS takes her creatin' seriously!
she is a wonderful dollmaker too!

Darla has also joined us at Kathy's. I met her at one of
Kathy's awesome monthly Cabin Shows! I jus' love her
and know we will become best buds! She has a 'free spirit'
that i so admire in women.
ONY checks out her goodie bag!

Sweet Amy jus' sits on the porch with a cuppa' tea
soaking in all the wonderment of the day.

I think i surprized little Chris when i came upon her suddenly with the camera .. she was deep in thought about her garland.

Sweet Sally! Sally has her own BEEHIVES (and the stings to prove it!) .. and brought three jars of yummy honey to share. i'm gifting one from her to both Kathy and Luna .. and OH JUS' GUESS WHO GETS THE LAST ONE!!!! (moi!)

Mary is gittin' into this!! ALWAYS with a smile!

Wilma .. another one of God's favorite chillun! She
is one of those 'quietly take-charge' women who know
how to keep a gatherin' goin' smoothly. IF it were not
for sweet Wilma .. who was one of the women who made
Sunday lunch (chicken/walnut) and FRUIT salads .. we woulda'
been eatin' those PB&J sammies .. cuz' i was busy 'socializin'!

So many sweet women just pitched in like they were at home
and helped wherever helpin' was needed all weekend long!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!

Mary, AS ALWAYS, is havin' a grande time!
Mary is one of the most creative women i've ever known!
I miss her and all the dolly gurlfrenz!

GLOW proudly shows her garland 'gittin' goin' .. despite the fact
that she and i share all the diseases in the world! (HA! that's a joke .. will tell more about it later!)

Sweet joyous Annette has joined us at Kathy's place too!

Sweet Jo-Jo is busy creatin' too!

Brenda looks up and gives me a smile!

And ONY has a smile for me too!

Adorable Joy has almost finished her garland!

Wilma and June sit together and talk .. Luna's comin' around the
house porch .. Robin (in yellow) and Sally in Black and Ada Mae in
orange .. and Tilda in white and i think that is Betty Jo hidin' behind the post? the gurlfrenz sit and enjoy conversation .. and SOUP! Kathy made soups for us .. and desserts to die for!!!

OHHH what fun .. and the day is only about half-over at this point!

next .. i'll share photos of our "frying pan fling"!! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 15 2008 10:10:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  12:19:27 AM  Show Profile

adorable Cathy models the vintage apron she bought today!

and millie does too!!!

yep! miz amy also!!

the FRYIN' PAN FLING ... begins!!!!

whoops! did it fling in the worng direction???

Jo is first up to 'pitch'!!

Sally gives it a twirl while 'clotilde' watches at a dangerously close place!

cathy gives us a smile before her fling!
and oh boy! does she ever get INTO IT! apron a-twirlin' and a-whirlin'

Joy gets in 'the position' .. looks like she is about to break into a ballet 'grande jete'!
robin was our 'go-getter'!!

sweet millie shows how you can wear TWO aprons at once!

Ada Mae concentrates before her fling!

SHA-ZAMMMMMM!

betty-jo winds up!

Ellen takes 'the stance'

(it was such fun watching all the 'positions' the gurlz put themselves in!)

faster than a speeding bullet! robin is now in the LEAD!

miss millie does a 'dance' before her fling!

she should have won a prize for this dance!!!

o.k. ready set ... YOU GO GURLFREN!

A 'LEFTIE'!!!

i think the frying pan weighs more than amy does!!

WE HAVE A TIE .... Robin and Karin ... sooooo .. we have a 'TOSS OFF'

ROBIN ....

AND THE WINNER IS: KARIN!!!!

GO! GEORGIA! GO! GEORGIA!

(I FOUND BEAUTIFUL BOOKS ABOUT 'WOMEN' .. THOSE WERE THE PRIZES
FOR BOTH THE FRYING PAN FLING .. AND THE 'PUMPKIN BOWLING' WHICH
WAS HELD ON SUNDAY AT FREEDOM VALLEY.)

well .. we surely had a wonderful afternoon at Kathy Sugarbucket's glorious home .. we thank her from the bottom of our hearts for all the hospitality, fun, creativity .. shoppin', porch sittin' and socializin' .. soups and yummy desserts .. but most of all for being the sweet soul she is!

NEXT .. WE AMBLE DOWN THE ROAD TO LUNA'S SHEEP FARM!

thank you God for this magnificent day! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 15 2008 10:11:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  12:26:51 AM  Show Profile
it's almost 3:30 a.m. .. and here i sit! BUT .. i did have the most delicious three-hour NAP in the TREEHOUSE today!

took my book (THE SHACK) and a cup of coffee to the treehouse this morning .. honey-hunk joined me .. we talked and read awhile together .. then he left to do some 'tinkerin' in the barn .. and i caught myself nodding off .. soooooo .. i lay down on a cot .. and had the most wonderful dream .. this is not the first time i've had this dream .. but it is the most VIVID time for it! We live in a large, lovely home ... we have actually lived there for quite awhile .. when i discover a door that leads 'downstairs' and into other rooms and lives being lived in them!
this time .. i remember looking into rooms where 'quilting' was going on .. and a lovely storage room (with little furniture in it .. lots of room) .. around a corner i peek into a room with people playing musical instruments .. it seems i have gone back in time .. everyone looks to be 'peasants' from a small village .. the one we live in .. and faces are familiar .. and some know who i am (that we are the owners 'upstairs') .. some don't .. but all are friendly. there is also a beautiful swimming pool filled with children laughing and around another corner is a large and very well equipped GYM. there are several other rooms that are now fading from my memory .. but as i think upon this dream .. it is like being in 'heaven' with all the things that hank and i love.

when hank came back to the treehouse to tell me he was going to go 'row' on the lake .. then to rotary club .. it is 3 p.m. and i thought i had only dozed for about 15 minutes!

what a wonderful lazy and enlightening afternoon! now .. to go back to sleep and perchance to dream lovely dreams!

good night sweet princesses! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  05:49:07 AM  Show Profile
THE SHACK by Wm. Paul Young "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" did for his. It's that good!"

a few other 'reviews': "THE SHACK is the most absorbing work of fiction I've read in many years. My wife and I laughed, cried, and repented of our own lack of faith along the way. THE SHACK will leave you craving for the presence of God." (Michael Smith, recording artist)

"This story reads like a prayer ... like the best kind of prayer, filled with sweat and wonder and transparency and surprise. If you read one work of fiction this year, let this be it."

"Reading THE SHACK during a very difficult transition in my life, this story has blown the door wide open to my soul." WYNONNA JUDD, (Kentucky) recording artist.

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 15 2008 05:53:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  05:52:16 AM  Show Profile
Wm. Paul Young was born a Canadian and raised among a stone-age tribe by his missionary parents in the highlands of what was New Guinea. He suffered great loss as a child and young adult, and now enjoys the "wastefulness of grace" with his family in the Pacific Northwest.

Frannie: My best childhood girlfriend, Grace, and i spent many years of our lives growing up together .. at school .. at every saturday night's Christian Youth Crusade as teenagers .. playing with our dolls as little girls .. playing outside with all the neighborhood kids until dark .. up to the time we first 'noticed boys' .. and going through the pains of 'first love' together ..

suggested that i get this wonderful little book and read it. She told me it would be very comforting to read before my little "o" that is scheduled for October 23. Now .. i recommend it to YOU! xoxo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 15 2008 05:55:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  05:58:56 AM  Show Profile
A synopsis of THE SHACK: "Mackenzie Allen Philips's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack, deep in the Oregon wildnerness. Four years later, in the midst of his "Great Sadness", Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Against his better judgement, he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant, THE SHACK wrestles with the timeless question: Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:07:19 AM  Show Profile
another great book recommendation from frannie:

i read this many years ago when i was trying to understand why my precious daddy was ill most of his life. he was such a 'good man' .. and i couldn't understand "why him"? both THIS book and THE SHACK have been the two i have read over the years that help you get through the pain of saddness when it is all so 'unexplainable' to you. xo, frannie

When Bad Things Happen to Good People
Written by Harold S. Kushner

ISBN: 978-1-4000-3472-7 (1-4000-3472-8)

When Bad Things Happen to Good People
Written by Harold S. Kushner

When Harold Kushner’s three-year-old son was diagnosed with a degenerative disease and that he would only live until his early teens, he was faced with one of life’s most difficult questions: Why, God? Years later, Rabbi Kushner wrote this straightforward, elegant contemplation of the doubts and fears that arise when tragedy strikes. Kushner shares his wisdom as a rabbi, a parent, a reader, and a human being. Often imitated but never superseded, When Bad Things Happen to Good People is a classic that offers clear thinking and consolation in times of sorrow.
Since its original publication in 1981, When Bad Things Happen to Good People has brought solace and hope to millions of readers and its author has become a nationally known spiritual leader.

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:18:50 AM  Show Profile
At the beginning of each chapter in THE SHACK .. there are wonderful 'quotes' .. i think i'll share some with you. (they each relate to the forthcoming chapter):

"Two roads diverged in the middle of my life,
I heard a wise man say
I took the road less traveled by
And that's made the difference every night and every day.
(with apologies to Robert Frost)

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:20:44 AM  Show Profile
This is the 'cryptic' note that Mack receives in his mailbox on a freezing icy wintry day (it is TYPEWRITTEN .. with no return address and no postage) and remember THE SHACK is where they found the bloody dress of his little daughter.

Mackenzie,

It's been a while. I've missed you.

I'll be at the shack next weekend if you want to get together.

-Papa

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile
ohhhhhhh .. before i get to the 'quotes' .. i wanted to 'read you' a little bit about Mack's CHILDHOOD. This is from the FOREWORD in the book .. the story starts much later when he is an adult, married and has several children. But this helps you understand some of his personal 'demons':

"Mack was born somewhere inth e Midwest, a farm boy in an Irish-American family committed to calloused hands and rigorous rules. Although externally relligious, his overly strict church-elder father was a closet drinker, especially when the rain didn't come, or came too early, and most of the times in between. Mack never talks much about him, but when he does his face loses emotion like a tide going out, leaving dark and lifeless eyes. From the few stories Mack has told me, I know his daddy was not a fall-asleep-happy kind of alcoholilc but a vicious mean beat-your-wife-and-then-ask-God-for-forgiveness drunk.

It all came to a head when thirteen-year-old Mackenzie reluctantly bared his sould to a church leader during a youth revivial. Overtaken by the confiction of the moment, Mack confessed in tears that he hadn't done anything to help his mama as he witnessed, on more than one occasion, his drunken dad bet her unconscious. What Mack failed to consider was that his confessor worked and churched with his father, and by the time he got home his daddy was waiting for him on the front porch with his mama and sisters conspiciously absent. He later learned that they had been shuttled off to his Aunt May's in order to give his father some freedome to teach his rebellious son a lesson about respect. For almost two days, tied to the big oak at the back of the house, he was beaten with a belt and Bible verses every time his dad woke form a stupor and put down his bottle.

from frannie: GURLZ .. this was so very difficult for me to read .. because i was raised with the truth that 'little people' should NEVER be 'hit' with ANYTHING by a 'big person'. I came to believe that even 'spankings' were a form of 'child abuse' .. an adult taking out their own frustrations WHATEVER THEY MAY BE .. EVEN IF THEY ARE AT THE ACTIONS OF A CHILD .. and is absolutely WRONG and UN-EXCUSABLE!!! Our form of 'discipline' .. NEVER the word "punishment" was used .. not even back in the 1940's and 50's!!!! A 'privilege' was simply taken away and it was lovingly explained to us that this was the consequence for our inapporpriate behaviour at the time. We came to know this would be a-comin' .. and if there was something really special coming up (like a church hayride .. Saturday afternoon movies with the neighborhood kids, a scheduled trip to our big amusement park, etc. etc.) we would not be allowed to go. It truly worked! I also never, ever, ever, ever hit my own children .. i used the same 'privileges taken away' concept that i had as a child. Well ... anyhoo .. it was VERY difficult to read Mack's childhood story!

And i continue:

Two weeks later, when Mack was finally able to put one foot in front of the other agan, he just up and walked away from home. But before he left, he put varmint poison in every bottle of booze he could find on the farm."

WOW! powerful beginning to a book!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:35:06 AM  Show Profile
"Nothing makes us so lonely as our secrets." ((Paul Tournier)

"The soul is healed by being with children." (Fyodor Dostoevsky)

"Sadness is a wall between two gardens." (Kahlil Gibran)

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:36:52 AM  Show Profile
"We routinely disqualify testimony that would plead for extenuation.
That is, we are so persuaded of the rightness of our judgment
as toinvalidate evidence that does not confirm us in it.
Nothing that deserves to be called truth could ever be arrived at by such means."
Marilynne Robinson, The Death of Adam

Frannie: WOW! that is powerful stuff!!!!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:37:54 AM  Show Profile
No matter what God's power may be, the first aspect of God is never that of the absolute Master, the Almighty.
It is that of the God who puts himself on our human level and limits himself.
Jacques Ellul, Anarchy and Christianity

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:39:41 AM  Show Profile
by the way gurlfrenz .. i adore this book .. because it is NOT about 'religion' .. but about LOVE!!!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:40:42 AM  Show Profile
"Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown."

Author Unknown

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:42:06 AM  Show Profile
hey sweeties .. i WILL get back to all those fun photos of our wonderful gurlfren gathering ... i just have to UPLOAD them all first. meanwhile, i'm finishing up THE SHACK .. and just felt led to share some of it with you. OH DO GET THIS DEAR BOOK!!! XO

AND REMEMBER .. the stories and photos of our gathering start on PAGE 24 here in Frannieville.

OH .. and i see that you kids have visited over 4,000 times. I'm 'feelin' the LUV'!!!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Oct 15 2008 06:43:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:44:10 AM  Show Profile
New world .. big horizon
Open your eyes and see it's true
New world .. across the frightening
Waves of blue.

(David Wilcox)

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:45:31 AM  Show Profile
Frannie: i especially love this one:

"Whoever undertakes to set him/her self up as a judge of TRUTH and KNOWLEDGE is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods. (and guess who said THAT! Albert Einstein!!!!)

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frannieville, Kentucky Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page