Page: of 217

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  10:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, thanks for posting that! Did you write that yourself??? You are amazing, woman!

It's so true, isn't it? What a wonderful group we have here, some whom we have lots in common with and others we with whom we get to learn new things and expand our horizons. And we all support each other - to live, love, laugh, and learn together.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Well, I have one load of laundry going and have been searching for (1) my Christmas DVDs and (2) the envelopes for the mailings. Gave up on the DVDs and put Christmas music on. Now searching the house for the envelopes.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  10:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
BTW: I've released the five pounds that found me during the last trip. Now if I can release a few more before the next one, I may end up back where I started when it's all over!

Okee dokee - back to work............

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 28 2008 10:33:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  10:32:57 AM  Show Profile
Yay Karen! I've lost a few too. I think just from being careful and conscious of what I eat. I have a long way to go to be slim, but I'd settle for just being medium :P
I'm glad that you've lost a few pounds, that can only be healthy!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Edited by - Annika on Oct 28 2008 10:33:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  10:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Annika! Just a quick "hi" **waving** before I try to dig out those envelopes from wherever they're hiding. No wonder I never get anything mailed - I have so much trouble just getting it all together in the first place!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  5:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi dear Mavens,
Sounds like everyone is on the verge of falling headlong into the holidays. I always like to watch the Christmas movie WHITE CHRISTMAS to get me into the holiday mood. I love looking at all the pretty clothes the women from that era wore.
Thanksgiving here will be with two of my daughters, their husbands, the four grandbeasties, and possiably one of my brothers. I love seeing all of my family, but it is very tiring cooking and baking for so many people.
Christmas will be even better this year as my oldest daughter and her family are planning on coming for the holiday.
But then comes January, ahhh.....the quiet. The snow. The sound of my rotory cutter whizzing through fabric and the silence of quilting. Now, that's a holiday,;^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  5:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Teresa Sue! Sounds like you have everything covered for the holidays.
We are not sure what we are doing yet. I THINK we'll be staying here, but I don't know for sure. Usually it is just the two of us, but we may go see family, depending on how much time we get to have off together.

When the snow is deep in January, I will smile thinking of you and your rotary cutter and piles and piles of fabric, what's not to love? I'll be sewing too.

How are you doing? I know you've been busy. Good to see you =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  5:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Piles and piles of fabric pretty much describes it! I can't even see my sewing table. Last night I went to sleep thinking how I was going to organize my sewing room before the fun starts in January.
Glad you're feeling better Annika. I have my fabric all washed that you sent me. It fits in so perfectly with the civil war line I have.
Well, good night, good morning Mavens, I have to go make DH dinner.
Missing y'all.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  6:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, TS! Missed ya, girl. I know you have to work - first things first and all, but it sure is good to see you posting tonight.

Question for you: where does the sound of seed catalog pages rustling come in? and the scratching sound of the pen as you write and re-write your seed order? and the sound of the HMBC book selection as it hits your face as you fall asleep reading? Oh wait, maybe that last one is just me...........

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  7:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Good night Mavens, it is morning here. Teresa Sue, hope you had a good day. Isn't quilting fun ? We are quite a few Mavens having this hobby, who can tell where it will lead us ?
Dawn your poem is so nice and right and just plain Maven-ly, thanks for posting it. It is 5 am here, I am going to fix a cup of tea before the house awake here.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  8:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey y'all - i'm a little quiet right now with trying to get gifts made. Teresa Sue - I second the January/quilting mood, I am getting the e-mails for the block of the month and have all the fabric I need but won't have time to do it till after Christmas is over.
Annika - your mention of Christmas cookies made with WW flour reminded me - Wheat Montana has a hard white wheat flour that behaves like white flour but has the benefits of wheat flour. It isn't certified organic but they are a pretty ethical company as far as production goes. I got a 50# bag of it last year and have been happy with it for everything except pie crust.
Corinne - I am so happy the bazaar went well!!
Hope all the rest of you are doing well - Dawn, my sympathies for the snow. I don't even know what I am going to do when it starts here
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  05:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning/evening Mavens,
I need some advice so of course I'm coming to all of you.
My Chriro thinks that my lifestyle(two jobs and chasing grandbeasties)isn't going to change so she is recommending that instead of coming to her as often for an adjustment that I perhaps would be better off to tackle my problem nutrition wise. More excercise, lose some weight, eat more nutritionaly, etc. She wants me to first do a three week detox, if I understood her right I would eat nothing but a protien shake and whole food vitamins. Then after that she recommeds basically eating raw fruits and vegetables, maybe lightly steamed vegetables, very little animal products. Stress very little. I'm a bit torn on the whole thing. First, she of course sells the detox kit, and the protein shake stuff,& the whole food vitamins, so contrary little 'ole me is wondering is this really good for me or is it good for her pocket book. Frankly, eating nothing but raw foods the rest of my life (and I do love fruit and vegetables)is kinda of depressing. I'm not an expert on vegan lifestyle, but I have read a few things and I know it's really hard to get your proteins. She really pushes the green leafy plants, which I agree are very good for you, but doesn't fit in with the AVM way of thinking of eating in season. HELP! I need some advice!
Corinne I'm so happy that your baazar went well. I said a prayer for you and your DH, to be able to retire soon and not have to go back to Africa. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers dear Maven sister.
Amy Grace, good to hear from you. I'm getting the emails for the block of the month too, but have not had time to start them either, maybe Jan. All of us quilting Mavens(sounds like a tightrope troupe, lol) can quilt together, apart! I'm going to have to get into your store before the snow flies. I detest driving and I loathe driving on snow and ice so I stay home as much as possible when the weather is bad. I'm a dedicated homebody so I don't mind. ;^)
Karen, it sounds like you are in Maven Heaven to me,*G*.
Hi to all, Dawn, Lillian, Lora, Brenda, Ruth, Rene', Alee, Annika, Tina Michelle,Marcy Jo, Denise, I think I remembered everyone!
Well off to a quick peek in the henhouse and then to the cafe.
Let me know what y'all think about the detox thing.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  05:35:58 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, good morning to you and so many thanks for the kind prayers, I know they helped a lot. I am with you on all the things you've mentioned. I would not like being pushed into buying a detox kit sold my the adviser either. Maybe you can check out the internet and see what sort of detox that is not too violent you can treat yourself to.
If you cut on meat, dairy, fat from animals and all the bad white stuff like white flour, pasta, sugar, you will be doing great already.
I mostly eat grains and the vegetables that are in season, and most of the time steam them since my body doesn't like produces except in the midst of summer. And I get proteins from beans and lentils and the like.
I thing that most of the time if we eat everything with moderation we are already doing fine, the point being not to over eat too much.
Girlfriend, follow what you think.
Maybe going to take advice from an osteopath (they have a different approach than chiro) might help too, they know a lot about digestion problems that cause back pains or even allow vertebra to get on the lose for not any known reasons.
Hope you are well, happy quilting.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  06:43:57 AM  Show Profile
HI girls!
TS: I'm not sold on the detox thing either. If I understand nutrition correctly, you can detox for a maximun of 72 hours (3 days) before your body starts conserving everything it has for energy. Thats why doctors usually say "nothing but clear liquids for 72 huors and then start whole foods slowly). When I taught weight loss classes at a Curves (I was mgr for 3 years) I modified that meal plan with my knowledge from working in a natural pharmacy.... I will email you with that plan and you can see if you'll like it or not. Do you have a place where you can go swim? Water resisitance is so good for the muscles because 1: its not very painful, easy on joints 2: you get the resistance of water from extention and flexion motion 3: the aerobic end of it. Aerobic means "taking in oxygen" Anaerobic means "without" When you swim, you inhale deeply (to go under water) thus making it a good aerobic exercise. Oxygen is a free radical, it is a scavenger of all things bad in the body. Deep breathing is necessary for good health (destroys cortisol-stress hormone which equals excess weight and unecessary stress). As americans, we breathe fairly shallow...which makes us store cortisol and therefore gain weight. To me... its all the domino affect. Lastly eat things that are high in free radicals: dark natural foods. God created them this way so that we recongnize them easier..... bluberries, dark greens, bright orange carrots. that is just my opinion and I am NOT medically registered in any way or fashion. I only know what i was taught.

Good morning to the rest of you! Amy Grace has a birthday coming up...... so glad to hear from you sweetie!

Marcy I will be emailing you soon regarding MavenFest aka Spring Fling. I am planning a Farmgirl Round up to garner more attention of the Mavens here in Ohio.....

Karen..... I hope you get things in order for your trip. Too bad we werent closer.... I'd love to watch Gus for you! Still have your window and basket insert....

Corrine....I didnt know that you liked to quilt... I'm not much of a quliter... I collect them (quilts) but I pretty much stink at the tedious work. I've made patchwork baby blanket and tied them off, and thats pretty much where it stops. haha.

For all of you getting into sewie mode: Dont forget your 3" square for the patchwork pillow.... although we DO have PLENTY of time....

I am pretty bored today. I think I will go up into my sewing room and see what i cant scare into shape. HAve a great day girls!

PS: Computer is acting up quite a bit, so I am making my online time short....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  07:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Here is more advice. I have been going to a meditation counsellor and am about to start on yoga. Just learning to breath right and mentally put away stresses helps me a lot with shoulder and neck pain. Putting your own body in balance gives you the option of doing it at your own speed, so that is why I'm thinking of the yoga. I know I'm cynical but it sounds like she has a pet detox program and wants to sell it to you. I'd think about it.
You can buy yoga dvds pretty inexpensively, we are already changing our diets for the badge and due to things we learn in AVM...so that is an option to think about is doing it your own way at your own speed. I am not sure yoga is right for you, and you'd have to see if it helped at all...just thinking as I type. What Corinne has said about foods is true and eating things in moderation is sound sense.
I hope that what ever you do, you feel better and stop being in pain. *hugs*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Edited by - Annika on Oct 29 2008 07:24:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  07:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife

Good morning/evening Mavens,
I need some advice so of course I'm coming to all of you.
My Chriro thinks that my lifestyle(two jobs and chasing grandbeasties)isn't going to change so she is recommending that instead of coming to her as often for an adjustment that I perhaps would be better off to tackle my problem nutrition wise. More excercise, lose some weight, eat more nutritionaly, etc. She wants me to first do a three week detox, if I understood her right I would eat nothing but a protien shake and whole food vitamins. Then after that she recommeds basically eating raw fruits and vegetables, maybe lightly steamed vegetables, very little animal products. Stress very little. I'm a bit torn on the whole thing. First, she of course sells the detox kit, and the protein shake stuff,& the whole food vitamins, so contrary little 'ole me is wondering is this really good for me or is it good for her pocket book. Frankly, eating nothing but raw foods the rest of my life (and I do love fruit and vegetables)is kinda of depressing. I'm not an expert on vegan lifestyle, but I have read a few things and I know it's really hard to get your proteins. She really pushes the green leafy plants, which I agree are very good for you, but doesn't fit in with the AVM way of thinking of eating in season. HELP! I need some advice!
Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Okay, TS, you asked for advice so here's my twenty-two-cents worth. It’s L-O-N-G so you may want to get your cup of chamomile tea first.
(1) Two jobs and chasing the little ones is a stressor. There’s good stress and bad stress but bottom line, stress is stress and it can be very hard on your system.
(2) More exercise – DEFINITELY! I CAN’T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! AM I GETTING MY POINT ACROSS????? Last summer I worked out at a local gym and was amazed at how much it helped. Up to that point I was on arthritis medicine (2 750mg pills a day) and still when I took Gus out to do his job, I had to sit on the back stoop because my feet hurt so bad I couldn’t stand for more than a few seconds. When I got up I looked like I was 80+ years old. I had to roll to one side, grab the railing, pull myself up slowly, and then hobble back up the two steps into the house. After two weeks at the gym, my aches and pains were mostly gone. I could get in and out of the car easily and actually, I never thought I would ever feel that good again. You’d think I’d learned my lesson, wouldn’t you? But no! I decided that I didn’t want to renew my membership and spend the gas money and wear and tear on the car driving such a short trip 3-5 times a week. (That and the fact that one of the two treadmills was always down and I couldn’t time it right to have access to the other one.) So I’m back to aches and pains – although I am off of my medicine (more on that later) and not to the point I was before working out. So in the last few days I’ve started doing the exercises in my Beautiful Bones Without Hormones book. All I’ve done so far are the stretching exercises (all standing up and very simple) and the calf raises and squats. In two days I can feel a difference. So EXERCISE: VERY GOOD!!!
(3) Losing weight – super important as this puts added stress on your joints.
(4) Eat more nutritionally – again super important and you’re probably already seeing the benefits of this by doing the journal.
(5) Detox – also good! Three weeks – not so sure. I’ve done detoxing/fasting and I’ve always felt better afterwards. (You do have to follow up with good eating habits or what’s the point of doing it in the first place.) My introduction to this was Dr. Don Colbert’s books, starting with, get ready……..What You Eat May Be Killing You. On a trip to Amish country, I bought decorative things, Robbie bought this book. Out of love for me, because it has a section on how UNhealthy processed sugar is. At the time I didn’t want to hear it. Then a friend of mine showed me her new cookbook, What Would Jesus Eat Cookbook by………………Dr. Colbert. I checked my bookcase and sure enough, I had bought a book with an interesting title but never got around to it: What Would Jesus Eat? Okay, so now I needed to read it. And it made sense. It’s based on the mediterranean diet but more detailed. Here’s the diet in a nutshell:
Daily Physical Activity – the foundation of the pyramid
Bread, pasta, rice, couscous, polenta, other whole grains & potatoes / fruits / beans, legumes & nuts / vegetables / olive oil / cheese & yogurt – Daily
Fish / poultry / eggs / sweets – weekly
Meat (red) – monthly
Beverages – water (he recommends 6 glasses a day; I use the following formula: weight / 2 = ounces per day. For me: 240 / 2 = 120 ounces); Wine in moderation (no more than 4 oz. daily)
Back to detox/fasting. Dr. Colbert has written a whole book on detoxing. If I remember correctly he recommends a juice fast (2 oz. juice to 6 oz. water) for not more than a week at the most. He also recommends fasting one day a week. I’ve not done to the juice fast but used to fast once a week and it really helped my health and my weight. When you fast/detox, it allows your body to concentrate its energy on dealing with the unhealthy things in your system. The Standard American Diet (SAD) keeps the digestive system working so hard on processing the food we keep shoving at it that it can’t catch up. Fasting one day a week (supper to supper) allows it to do that – or at least have a fighting chance at it.
(6) Regarding limiting meat: IF you chew your food 30 times before swallowing, it passes through the digestive system at a reasonable rate. You know how it takes a lot of chewing to break down a piece of meat? If we don’t chew it up as much as possible before swallowing, our gut has to do the work. It can take days for it to break down a piece of meat. Guess what happens to it in the meantime – it rots and ferments and then we wonder why we have gastric issues.
(7) Raw foods: VERY GOOD! Here’s a blurb I posted on DOE Sept. 20…….
"Food enzymes are found in raw foods foods that have not been wet-cooked at 118 degrees Fahrenheit or beyond, or dry-cooked at about 150 degrees Fahrenheit or beyond. At and beyond these temperatures, food enzymes are deactivated and are no longer useful to your health.
A practical general rule of thumb to determine if what you are eating has been cooked at a temperature that has deactivated food enzymes is this:
If you can eat wet or dry food at its highest temperature (while being cooked) without burning yourself, then food enzymes are active and can help your health."
http://chetday.com/foodenzymes.htm
Enzymes are what helps the body utilize the nutrients in the food. Again, any wonder why we have gastric issues????
(8) I don’t have a problem with a chiropractor selling their products. For one thing, one of my friends is my chiropractor and I know she doesn’t sell anything she doesn’t believe in. Plus, that way she makes sure the people have what they need to get started as people like me would tend to put it off when we walk out the door and/or go for the cheapest and not necessarily the healthiest option. Having said that, I’m skeptical like you and am learning that sometimes people actually do know what they’re talking about, but I need to do the research for myself.
Latest lesson learned: I’m big on therapeutic grade essential oils. I can give testimony after testimony on how they work for us. However, when I met the woman that introduced them to me we were talking health issues in general. We got on the topic of essential oils and she mentioned she puts peppermint oil in her water. I was currently teaching a healthy living class at church and I had done my research on essential oils and everything I read said don’t ingest them or put them directly on your skin. When I told Verna that, she said, “Oh, I wouldn’t do that with anything but Young Living oils.” My immediate thought was, “Yea, you say that ‘cause you ‘em. It’s gonna catch up with you.” I smiled and went on with our conversation. A few weeks later I went to seminar on “Healing Oils of the Bible” by Dr. David Stewart. The woman that introduced me to Verna had previously told me about Dr. Stewart and maybe having him talk to my group. Healing oils – that’s not something I wanted to get into without a lot of study, thank-you-very-much. But I went to the seminar because I could find out if he knew what he was talking about without making a commitment. He knew his stuff alright. He has a degree in chemistry so he understands why the oils work, why the distillation process is so important, and most of all, when I checked all this with Robbie (who has a degree in chemical engineering) he validated everything. And guess what oils Dr. Stewart uses – yep! Young Living. So now I’m a wholesale customer ‘cause that’s what worked for us. So don’t take my word for it on the oils. Do your research and pray about it. Be smart!
(9) As far as the contradiction between eating seasonally and a raw foods diet, there are going to be contradictions no matter what approach you take. Last year I had to decide if it was more important to buy my food locally – and have less organic/healthy options – or drive an hour to Whole Foods, “waste” gas and pollute the environment. I opted for Whole Foods because I can’t do much to help the environment if I’m not healthy. We had to decide if we were going to drive 45 minutes to a recycling center or burn trash at home and pollute the environment. We decided to recycle and combine the trip with other errands in the area. Is it more important to eat local or eat raw 365 days of the year? You have to decide.
(10) What I heard this summer was that people who live a vegetarian, and especially vegan, lifestyle can get away with it until they hit 40. After that it becomes very hard to get your protein from non-animal sources. It can be done but you really really have to work at it.

Now after typing all this, why am I sitting here at 240 lbs. with a sore shoulder and still having some aches and pains? Why should you listen to a woman who came home after two weeks on the road thinking she lost weight only to find she gained five pounds? I don’t know. I have the head knowledge. I don’t have the accountability. I checked the board before I posted this and you already have three women with very good suggestions. When Rene reads your post I’m sure she’ll have good suggestions to as she’s working through getting healthier and is learning about incorporating more raw foods into her diet. If you made it this far, bless you, my child, you are made of sturdy stuff!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  07:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Whew! After that last post I think I'm done for the day!

Rene, is there a henhouse or forum for mavens looking to live a healthier lifestyle? It would be a good companion thread to this one. Grow healthy food - live a healthy life.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  08:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow Karen! I really don't have much to say on the subject now. My honest opinion is your Chiro is just looking to pad his wallet. I have never done a detox but have known people that have done it for 2-3 days at the most. 3 weeks seems a little unhealthy to me. As a former WW leader I can't let you do that to yourself!!!!! Healthy eating is the way to go. Also you may find that taking processed foods out of your diet is enough of a change to make you feel better. When I started pushing out the processed foods the intensity of my migranes decreesed and also the frequency. Now as far as exercise- maybe try something new like belly dancing. Something fun not "exercise"!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  08:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, me again, TS. Just got done doing some thinking in the shower.

Bottom line #1: educate yourself. I love the line I heard once: "If you're going to self-medicate, be sure you self-educate." Just over a year ago I was on five different Rx meds; now I'm on none. Even with the aches and pains right now, I still feel better than when I was taking them. I was afraid to tell my doctor that I wasn't on any medication anymore but when I saw him, he said, "If it works for you, ride it while it lasts. The chemistry is the same."

Bottom line #2: Do what makes sense to you. If it doesn't make sense, you won't keep up with it. Like Lillian said with the exercise, make it fun (or at least tolerable ).

Bottom line #3: Start slow. Make one or two changes. Making a bunch of changes all at once can be overwhelming, therefore stressful and that's something you want to avoid.

Going to run errands now.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  09:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness,
I feel a bit out of the loop so to speak. Our power went off yesterday for the evening and night so no getting online for me.
Before I forget, TS I do two detoxes a year they are a month long but you continue to eat normally and hopefully that is healthy anyway.
There are tablets taken to rid the intestines of parasites which everyone has. That is followed a half hour last with a fiber drink and at night before retiring there is a tea to drink. It is organic and my husband and I feel it is very reasonable in price.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Mavens, I'm signing on quickly to ask for prayers for our QMD. Jerry is taking her to the doctor and/or emergency room this afternoon. She went to the drugstore to get cold medicine and fainted while she was there. She had a massive headache when she called me: "It feels like someone is sticking an ice pick in my eye." She won't be on the DOE for a few days and called me and left a voice message so I wouldn't go into a panic (she knows me well). So please send all the good vibes and prayers that you can her way.

God bless -

P.S. She said on a good note she found an organic/herbal store just north of her and was able to pick up a few things!

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 29 2008 3:15:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear....prayers and good wishes being sent to our QMD. I truly hope she is going to be okay. Hopefully they will be able to come up with a way to help with her health problems. Please keep us in the loop Karen.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:56:51 PM  Show Profile
oh goodness. will pray for Dawn.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  3:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the update Karen, I hope they can figure this thing out so she can get back to "living" the life she longs to.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Mavens are "information specialists", or "people we rely upon to connect us with new information."[6] They accumulate knowledge, especially about the marketplace, and know how to share it with others
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  4:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, mavens! Your wishes will mean a lot to her when she gets online again. I will definitely keep you all in the loop. If anyone else here's from her, please share.

The farmgirls and the mavens especially mean so much to Dawn. I'm so glad we all found each other.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page