Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  05:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Denise, I'm familiar with different wheats because I do a lot of baking. I like to have all purpose flour, bread flour, cake flour, and I like whole wheat pastry flour also. I've decided that I'm going to have to grow my own grains. Of course DH says it can't be done(the poor demented dear is still brainwashed by the whole 1950's Big Agriculture/chemicals is going to save the world propaganda,lol)but I'm convinced it can be done. After all, people did it before BA(Big Agriculture) came into being. Course it helps that my hero, Gene Logsdon, says it can be done and has put a book out on it telling you how to go about doing it,*g*.
Good morning/evening Mavens.
Denise do you live in northern or southern NJ? As someone who has lived in the west their entire life and the only reference to the eastern US is from tv cop shows I always picture it very crowded, big city type of thing. But, I understand that NJ has a lot of farm land?
Corinne, I know you are busy, but thoughts are with you and your bazaar fund raising.
Hope everyone is feeling better.
I've got to get beds made for the grandbeasties as they are staying over tonight. Need to dust mop and make some cookies(Grandma always has cookies in the cookie jar when they come).Then I'll be off to Rosalia, it's about a half hour drive,and on my way to get the grandbeasties. Hopefully I will get to meet Rene, Amy Grace,& Annika from our Maven group. There will be others from Spokane to meet also. I'm going to wear my red gingham apron with the faux smocking that was DH's grandmothers. Hope to find out more about the BBB.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  05:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Check it out - The Maven's Haven is ready and waiting for you.

TS, this week I actually put it out there before typing this post. It's amazing how one little bracket turned the wrong way can make half of the newsletter bold and taking "forever" to find! And give the rest of the mavens a hug for me. Here's one for you - ***HHHHUUUUGGGGG***

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 25 2008 05:51:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  05:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Karen, you're such a sweetie, I can't wait to meet you in person. Off to read the MH!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  06:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
After putting up with me when I come to stay for the BB&B, you may be singing a different tune! Or you may not be able to get rid of me 'cause I feel the same about you, sista!!!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  06:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
There is a new thread in the henhouse for Maven Birthdays. Please check to see if your birthday is on the list. If it isn't, post in the thread and I will add it to the list. Thank you very mavenly!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  5:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue,
I live in the southern half of NJ. Not to far north of the shore, about an hours drive. We have all kinds of farmland around us, which of course is being sold off to developers so everyone can live in the country. They are trying to do away with the Dept. of Agriculture here in NJ. Pretty stupid considering we are called the Garden State. I am probably repeating my self here, Sorry.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  6:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Not much action on the old mavenfront today but that's a good thing sometimes as it means we're actually taking care of other important things in our lives. That and/or having a grand old time like the Rosalia crew hopefully did today. I think you all are too tuckered out to post except for TS who is not allowed to tucker out until the grandkindlings are in bed.

Corinne, after you get some good, needed rest, let us know how the bazaar went.

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday and will be checking in Monday for updates.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  7:32:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey all!!
Teresa Sue, I'm sorry I missed you today. I didn't get home till after you skipped town. Oh and I wanted to tell you that we carry -or can special order - a good selection of flour at work, if you ever need something, or want to split a 25# bag let me know.
Not much happening amongst the mavens today?
Corinne how was the bazaar?
Long week here, longer weeks coming what with working in a grocery store during the holidays.
Hope everyone had a lovely day - we couldn't have asked for a better day. 60 degrees, sun, blue sky, fall colors, Maryjane and Rene here in town, hayrides, pie and we went out to Michelle/Huckelberrywine's farm to meet her new horse - 5 mo. old Pasofino - he is a darling.
I wish you all could have been here
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  8:30:23 PM  Show Profile
had a date out with hubby this afternoon...then yesterday went out to Books A Million and treated myself to a few books.. Got the "Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening"..what a great book/tons of info..and also the latest Hobby Farm Home(must subscribe to it)
got the latest issue of Organic Gardening in the mail..directions for creating your own 3 part compost bin are in it in case anyone wants to build one..recommend that..it looks pretty easy.
----------
hope everyone is having a good weekend.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  8:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening to you Mavens friends, thanks for all the prayers and good wishes, they meant a lot to me and thanks to all we raised 2.400 $, just with our sewing and baking tables.
That was such a good day, not too warm, with families strolling around, even the parking in our small street went swell.
I was in bed a 6 pm, yes... and awake fresher today, since my legs wouldn't want to step up or down one more time yesterday (our home has storeys up and down and the bazaar was int he basement but food and drinks upstairs in the kitchen).
I made vegan chili and plain rice and organic sticky buns, we fed 26 peoples from our team group and the vendors, plus a couple of friends of DH who came to help with the sales.
So a good thing done.
We are staying in Kuwait up to next june, but will have to move from this house to another one for the last 5 months, so it is supposedly our last bazaar in Kuwait and Thanks God it was this successful.
I hope ya'll had a fantastic day, catch up with you latter,
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 25 2008 9:33:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  9:06:45 PM  Show Profile
how very nice that your bazaar was such a success..I bet you are a good bit tired after a full day...but congratulations!

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  9:56:24 PM  Show Profile
So glad the bazaar went well for you Corinne!

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 25 2008 9:56:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  05:20:43 AM  Show Profile
YAY! That was wonderful Corinne, I'm so glad that the bazaar was such a success. I sounds like it was quite the crowd =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  05:37:47 AM  Show Profile
We never made it to Rosalia yesterday. Andrew had a touch of the tummy bug and we stayed here and I did some outside work since it was a good day and I don't know how many more of those we'll have.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  08:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Annika - I'm sorry you missed Rosalia, but I am glad to know you weren't here and I missed you. It was a beautiful day yesterday, I feel guilty for not using it for yardwork, although the yard/garden seems to have won the battle this year, sigh....
Next year, now, I will claim victory over the weeds.
I just went through the Merit badge requirements and am so excited to work on them, as soon as Christmas is over I can focus on the garden.
Hope you all have a fabulous day
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  2:36:42 PM  Show Profile
wanted to let you all know about this offer:
http://wintersown.org/wseo1/YourChoiceTomatoSASE.html

they have some nice heirloom varieties.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  6:01:16 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to pop in real quick and say "hi". DH has been on vacation for a few days so we could get some of the outside/winter chores done before the weather turns bad. So I haven't been online much. Sounds like everyone is feeling better, glad to hear that! Corinne, congrats on the successful bazar.

Denise- We were stationed at Kaneohe Bay from 87-90. DS was born at Trippler in 89. Where were you stationed? Also I mill my own wheat too!

I am going to go and catch up on everything else, talk to you gals tomorrow night.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  8:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening Mavens, thanks for the nice words about the bazaar.
Yesterday I was just plain exhausted, today am feeling better and will have some catch up to do.
I am reading a book about wild yeast and it is said that MISO (or fermented bean paste that you can make at home), takes all the heavy metals like lead, copper and such as well as lots of chemicals, out of the body through natural elimination.
Will post more about that latter in the day. I was thinking that since we are working of eating better food and preserving the beauty and bounty of natures, we should also work on eliminating the bad stuff that has already accumulated inside of us. Then all the good nutriments will really have the chance to help us improve our health.
How every one is doing ? Sweet dreams to you.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  06:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi chickies!
Lillian, I was so happyto see your post! Hope you got lots of yard stuff done.
Corrine (Big sis), the bazaar sounds like it was a total success! Good job! I cannot wait until you are back on THIS side of the pond....
So Rosalia was fun huh? I would've given my firstborn to be there, but will have to wait until July (BBB). Hopefully everyone is on the mend from the tummy troubles.
I had a pretty busy wknd with dd's b-day party Saturday and dh's birthday yesterday. (DD's b-day is actually today). We had a small memorial for my mom (who's b-day was really Saturday...are ya following me??). Very emotional day all the way around. Will talk about it more tonight during the MMM. 8-9pm e.s.t. right?
Morning....Sam......
I had soy milk for the first time this wknd.... all I can say is YUCK-O-POOO! Nasty.....I do however like the chocolate...go figure.
Heading over to the nest box(bulletin board). Be on the lookout for a mass maven email... (MME) hee hee.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
www.heirloommavens.blogspot.com
www.harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
www.gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane

Edited by - deeredawn on Oct 27 2008 07:26:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  07:25:48 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to add for you west coast chicks, that yes.... us east coast gals probably do have more than our fair share of congested cities. Cleveland is a mini New York City, then there's Chicago (in my opinion a mid-west version of Los Angelos), we have the fishing communities of the Atlantic coast, but once you get outside of those areas.... it's flat farm land (if you are west of the Appalachia) and deep valleys and rich mountain (Appalachia and east bound). That song by Johnnie Cash... 'I've been Everywhere' should be my theme song. It's easier for me to say where I havent been. I was a gyspy in my younger days and how i long to be road bound again.... but hubby does not share that yearning. He is a total home body. If we travel to West Virgina (my home state) all I hear is how he cant wait to be home.... Where I live in Ohio its total Amish Country...but mind you.... its very poor Amish. Even the Amish that live in other states or even nearby Berlin, Ohio frown upon the locals around here. Its like its the ghetto of Amish. That aside, we live in a very rural, agricultural area. As good as that may sound.... the mind set about ag around here is alarming. AMV (the ones that donet know where food comes from) could easily be Armpit...er I mean Ashland Ohio!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
www.heirloommavens.blogspot.com
www.harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
www.gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  08:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Good morning mavens and good evening maven Corinne! It is good to know everyone is doing well. I helped my kids carve pumpkins and they lasted all of 1 week and had mold growing on inside along with tiny black gnats?? Don't know what was up with those pumpkins this year. I have never had that happen before. If you all carve pumpkins, how do you keep them from getting moldy and keep the bugs off?? My kids were very disappointed that we had to throw them away. :( Been having to deal with a disfunctional grandparent lately. I have just been very ticked off at her and so didn't want to pop in and post for fear my agitation would ruin the happiness of the other posters. Okay, enough of that.

Karen, I emailed you.

Tina, thank you for the website. I will go check it out!

I got to buy groceries today. Not looking forward to it. I had a spell with my hypoglycemia Saturday and I really need to get busy with that food journal. I have let myself get so unhealthy and it shows! Now I learn how to take care of myself. You all will help keep me on track won't you?? I hope you all have a wonderful and productive day. :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  08:45:01 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to not post, I've gotten behind in my food and gratitude journaling and reading. Been a busy weekend. I'm having some personal issues and will try to post when I can today. Love ya sisters!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  09:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mavens, sending love your way, it seems everybody is having emotional issues, hope all will be better as the day develops.
the change of the season may be for some reasons, Fall has arrived and we are putting to bed summer and light, and lighter feelings. Do not worry we will work together to keep fun and joy in everybody heart.
Love ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by deeredawn

...We could get online about 9pm est which would be 6pm PST. and stya one for about and hour or so...

Mornin', Ralph! Here are the times for the chat per last week's post. Hope this week is a slower, more relaxing one for you.

Corinne, you're still up! It warms my heart to seeing you posting again. Are you all caught up on your after-bazaar rest?

Brenda, I got your e-mail and sent three back! If I could hold onto more than one thought at a time, I would've been able to put all the info in the first one. Oh well.................

Annika, I'm so far behind in my journaling I'm thinking of starting over today. Especially because I started reading another book called Healthy Bones without Hormones that I got on clearance at Borders. It's a good one though and gives lots of ways to add calcium to your diet. I didn't realize the first 5 years after menopause women have up to 7% bone loss per year! So I'm back to drinking a couple of glasses of milk a day, eating more cheese and exercising - which I really needed to do anyway. I think that's part of the reason I'm not feeling right these days.

But I digress - I'm going to see how much journaling I have done and if it isn't much, I'm going to start over again today and apply for a badge with Denise.

Denise, didja catch the last paragraph?

Tina, thanks for the heads up on the website.

Lillian, hi!

Today is Robbie's last day at home so I'll be spending most of it with him. Hope to check in for some chatting this evening but probably won't be on the whole hour.

Have a great day, mavens!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  10:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, me again. Like I said, "If I could hold more than one thought at a time......." My mom was diabetic so I keep an eye on my glucose count with a glucometer. I've touched the borderline mark a few times so I'm hoping that journaling and will help with that too. In the Bones book I'm reading, I was surprised at the benefits of calcium other than building bones. Here are a few: regulates heart rhythm (may lower blood pressure); maintains proper nerve and muscle function; increases vitality and endurance; and helps us metabolize fat "and, according to a recent report in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, may even help us lose weight.” (I can use all the help I can get there. ) Just a little supportive tidbit for ya!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page