Page: of 217

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  12:45:37 PM  Show Profile
Rene! more information is needed here, can you let us know? Maybe I can get someone to let me come over and watch...we don't even GET stations here and we don't have any kind of direct tv or anything. Maybe she could sell her show on DVD or something =) Annika the ever hopeful!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  12:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Some shows are broadcast over the internet also. Will MJ's?

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  1:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies,
Check out what is blooming in my back yard. Hibiscus Mutabilis also known as Confederate Rose. It is not really a rose, but a wild hibiscus. Originated in China and brought over with the early explorers. It grows wild in and around the swamps here in Louisiana. It is also found in Texas all the way to Florida. The flowers open as a double white bloom and by the end of the day they have turned pink and some may turn red. The flowers only last a day.

Okay...this is a picture of what my plant looks like right now, but it is not "my" plant. Just a pic I googled from the internet.

http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/mal/hibmu/

I will be collecting the seed pods when it sets seed. I have had success just sticking a piece of the stalk/stem in water or just potting soil. I haven't tried to grow it from seed yet, but that's the plan. ;)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  1:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, that is soooooo pretty. I know that the icy and dry winds would eat it alive up here, thank you so much for sharing your lovely garden flower with us. I love all flowers, especially the ones that I know I can't grow.... =)
I'm sure that you'll let us know how it does, growing from seed. How pretty!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  1:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, that hibiscus is beautiful! You are so lucky to have that in your backyard. It must be fascinating to watch it change colors during the day.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  2:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Tina has picked number 12. She has Brenda....

Numbers Left:
1-3-5-6-8-9-11-

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  3:00:24 PM  Show Profile
ok I'm like the little donkey on shrek now..jumping up and down..pick me, ooh pick me..LOL
o.k. Brenda..please email me with your address.:0)
p.s. Brenda..the confederate rose is lovely!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  3:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens,
Wow, I've be MIA and y'all have posted like 8 pages.
------
Dawn did you get my email that I want #3? Hope your MRI goes well, thanks for my bumperstickers and the sweet note.
----
Denise and Betty welcome. Let me tell you Mavens, Denise puts on a great yoyo swap! ;^)
-----
I enjoy researching geneology too. My fathers side came from Germany via Norway in the 1700's and my mother's family fled Scotland in the 1600's. It is very interesting what you find out. My third great grandfather and grandmother were Cherokee and he was a horse and buggy Dr. in the Indian Nation, now Oklahoma. Karen I lived in Oklahoma for a year when I was 15 and the people there are very, very friendly. And then I found one of my great,greats, I can't remember how many greats, grandfather was from Penn. and fought in the American Revolution, did three stints and I have a copy of his pension papers. It's really amazing, but hey, I'm a history geek.
-----
Karen glad your hubby is doing okay. Enjoy your familial visits.
-------
Was it Dawn or Karen, who wanted to know about my cheeses/rootcellar? Anyway, each cheese has a different spore, or bacteria that gives it it's distictive flavor. I want a different cellar for each cheese so they each keep their own flavor. We'll just do a standard root cellar, perhaps with a cement floor. I am going to do more research before I decide exactly.
-------
I'll be in and out of here until Sat. I have to go to the Chiropractor three times a week for six to eight weeks. Going to be expensive, of course the insurance won't pay. Has to be done tho if I'm going to halt the degenetative problem going on. That and walk, do weight bearing excersises, lose weight, eat lots of green leafy things for the calcium. It's a wake up call.
--------
To my dear tender hearts who don't want to kill anything to eat it. If anything, man or animal, is to be alive, it must kill other living things to eat and thus survive. Who is to say that a radish is less than a chicken? Vegetables are living things also. I'm not saying it would be easy to kill a chicken or other animal. It's just messier to kill an animal than a plant. Now, don't think I'm some kind of nut, well, maybe I am, but think about it? I am not a vegetatarian. I do believe you have a responsibility to harvest your food, animal or plant in a thoughtful way. And no matter who or what you pray to, give thanks for the life taken so you may in turn live. I always think of the story of a preacher man who loved a certain apple tree. The apples were sweet and juicy and crisp. His last wish was to be buried under that apple tree. The circle was complete. The apple tree fed him and he fed the apple tree.
-----
I am so happy my chiropractor believes in ORGANIC!!! She told me where I can get organic food in CDA. Pilgram Foods, yea!!!
----
How are y'all doing with AVM and your badge work. I haven't had a chance to go to the hen house yet, might not tonight, but will as soon as I can.
Missing all of you!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  3:55:26 PM  Show Profile
What is AVM, please?
Teresa Sue,
I guess you got your yo yos then?

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  3:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh and Teresa Sue I have been going to the chiropractor for 16 years and it is what keeps me moving. Sometimes are better than others. My chiropractor is very open to me sharing with him the things I do to get healthier.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Now I feel like a complete ninny for not wanting to kill things to eat them. I live on a farm, but I don't take part in the twice yearly slaughter. The landlords get a local business to do that, so I guess, I'm just not getting the entirety of the cycle. I help at lambing and kidding and all other parts of the messy business of farm work. I'm not usually squeamish...you can't be after a messy birth season...you lose it real quick. I can grow fruit and vegetables, kill and eat them, so I just need to take the next step and learn to be part of the harvesting of animals. I'm by nature a soft hearted animal loving nature girl...but I occasionally eat red meat. I do not, however, like buying beef from Argentina. So we've turned to locally raised elk and bison. I have wanted to raise rare poultry, but I do not know how to slaughter it humanly. I guess my next step is to learn. I love fish, but have never been fishing, so that is another step I can take down the path to feeding myself locally. One way or another, we are all in a learning process, which is both exciting and a bit scary for me. I am going through a lot of questing and questioning. This book, "Animal, Vegetable Miracle", is full of really sobering facts and has turned me upside down and shook me real good...lord, I hardly eat any fresh vegetable! I need to fix this and soon! No wonder I'm unhealthy!!!

Thank you, every other sister, for your opinions, and thoughts. And thank you For AVM. I will never be the same after reading it. And that's a good thing.

Annika, the soft hearted ninny :P
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Denise, AVM is short for Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's the first book we're reading in our book club (otherwise known as the HMBC - Heirloom Maven Book Club). For more info on the book club, here's a link: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=597

This book is also part of earning the Farm Kitchen Beginner badge. If you don't have that one yet, check out Teresa Sue's info at http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=609

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Annika, you are NOT a ninny. To each her own.

Denise: AVM is the book Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kinslover that we are reading as part of our Maven Chapter Book Club. You may join us if you'd like!!

TS: I am picking up my book tomorrow at library. And yes, you have number 3. I have emailed you about her.... she's weird.....

Mavens: I have to step away from this thing. I've been on here 3 days straight for at least 8 hours a day.... I have got to sew. I have got to eat. i have got to potty. I have got to let the dogs out............see ya!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue, like Denise I'm all about faithfully seeing a chiropractor. After thinking I was doing just fine and ending up with a dislocated rib, I am keeping those appointments! How great is it that she believes in organic foods and can even hook you up with places? Remember the old adage "Pay me now or pay me later" when you're shelling out $$ for those adjustments. I'm paying a lot for decisions I made when I was younger but knew better. Oh, the optimism of youth.........

God bless -

P.S. It was me that wanted to know about the different cellars for cheese. Thanks for the explanation

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 15 2008 4:43:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Denise: if you'd like to participate in teh Maven Christmas let me know asap so that a number can be assigned to you.

NUMBERS LEFT!
1-5-6-8-9-11- and maybe 14

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:45:18 PM  Show Profile
UPDATED GIFT LIST!

Sorry if i blow the secret.....

Annika is giving to Ruth
Corrine is giving to AmyGrace
Karen is giving to Annika
Ruth is giving to Rene
Brenda is giving to Karen
Lillian is giving to Marcy Jo
Teresa Sue has the weird Chick

Dawn #279

Edited by - deeredawn on Oct 15 2008 4:47:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Annika, everyone has different viewpoints. That's what makes people so interesting. It doesn't make yours, mine or anyone else's right or wrong, just different. And that's how we grow.........by sharing with each other.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Karen: You are the best... I just give the book, you give ALL the details... See why I need you so bad???

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Okay, chiro stuff.... I worked for the BEST chiro for 4 years. I was the assistnat, office manager. I totally believe in it, it works for me and yes, my doctor (then and now) praise the benefits of a healthful lifestyle...mind, body and soul.....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:50:41 PM  Show Profile
oh gosh, its 8pm.... I have 15 chickens to process!!!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  5:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn and Karen, I'm just feeling a little down. Thank you for the positive attitudes. You two are the greatest. It must be hormonal or something, I've been mopy and teary for the last couple of days.

Dawn, have a good sewing and getting on with life session. Letting out dogs and going potty are kind of important you might try eating too...I've heard its pretty fun.

I swear I've been here for days too...I've got permanent computer chair behind!

I forget, is anyone else going to do the lasagna method of gardening? I'm going to try it over the winter I think, to keep down the weeds.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  5:13:29 PM  Show Profile
Annika,
I am doing the lasagna method of gardening. I have the book. It really does work! I experimented one year. Some lasagna style and some tilled the earth and hoe the weeds. Lasagna gardening is alot less labor intensive. Plus, your not bringing up hidden weed seeds and not butchering the earthworms! OOPS!! Did I just say that? We need the worms, they are hard workers.

Dawn.....garter snakes are NOT your enemy. :) Keep repeating that to yourself until it sticks!! HA!!

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  5:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Annika, you are not a ninny! Don't think that. It is a very sobering thing to take a life, even if you have to, to live. I have been fishing. You know what I don't like about that? I don't like putting the worm on the hook. I do not believe the thing doesn't feel anything like I've been told. He wouldn't squirm the way he does if that were true. I don't fish anymore. My husband loves to fish, but won't eat any fish except tuna occasionaly and halibut. We used to hunt deer and rabbit as a child and my husband and I hunted when we were first married. We would have starved to death if it weren't for that wild game. I've butchered hogs, and wild game. It's not fun by any means. But we fed our family. I haven't butchered chickens but I am going to learn. Perhaps we can help each other learn. Only someone who is not normal, a sandwich short of a picnic lunch, if I may say, would enjoy killing and butchering.
Don't be so hard on yourself. All in good time, if it's is even meant to be.
-----
Denise, I am so sorry! I thought I emailed you to say I got my yoyos. Please forgive me, I probably got caught up in the Maven Vortex.
-----
Dawn dear do you need a bisquit reciepe? I'll send you one if you want. I've been using the same one for years and we like it. So, you are my christmas girl, huh/
---
I put my bumpersticker on my car, looks awesome.
------
Yes, Mavens the Chiropractor really seems to help.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  7:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey all-
Denise - welcome!! Betty too, if you decide to join us full time.
Ruth, I have you in my thoughts for good news re the economic outlook.
Teresa Sue - I should have mentioned Pilgrims when you said you were going to Cd'A, I haven't been there but have heard it is really nice. One of the guys in the meat dept. there used to work at our store.
Dawn, hoping the CT scan turns up a good result....
I was thinking about trying lasagna gardening myself - if anyone remembers my post about my monster erosion control weeds I think that the only way around them is covering them up and building on top. I have the book but have put it on my list to read in January, I am trying to ration my reading, I get a little out of control and I have lots of Christmas gifts to make
Corinne - good morning!! My favorite color is green (go figure) and I have no allergies
Annika - I am feeling the same way about butchering. We are getting chickens next year and I know I will have to face my squeamishness. Fortunately my husband has butchered plenty of chickens so at least we aren't starting completely from scratch.
I think we are going to build a food dehydrator - got DH a great old Organic Gardening book for his birthday, something about How to Build Anything, now he's fired up on the dehydrator. Will see if it gets built before the energy goes:)
Talk to you soon
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  7:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard from Lora?
I just wanted to say that the scan went..... I still have a massive headache and as soon as I get results I will let my sisters know. Fortunately, they did find a brain, albeit small!! I'm kidding... I got my chickens all processed. What a chore that is.....but now they are in the freezer ready for some dumplins or BBQ sauce....
I wanted to clarify that I find NO enjoyment in killing. Unless its that darn snake..... all joking aside. I dont like it at all. But I like a full freezer :o)
Good Night gals. I'm bushed.

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page