deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  5:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Marcy: am thinkin of ya. Me and Jerr have been going round too, but its just cuz he's been farming so much... I know it needs done, but it gets really lonely. When he's home, he's asleep. When he's gone, I'm left to do so much and I'm so tired. I'm just venting because I had to finish painting the trim on the market by myself and as short as I am I was on the step ladder higher than I should've been and me & the ladder went a** over applecart and I now have paint, white paint all over a truck load of stone..... I'm okay.... the shed is okay...the problem is, he never has time to help me with the hard stuff and stuff never gets done!!!

Okay, rant over. Ruth just picked #10. #10 is GONE.
I wish I had a language to hold onto. Brenda, if I can find the book I read last year it had a whole glossary of Cajun French words. Reading that thing drove me crazy as I had to keep referencing the glossary every other page...

Marcy & Annika: Neither one of you are cowards. No one LIKES to kill animals unless they are sick in the head. You do it out of necessity. One does it because it's part of our survival skills. I hate even running over the wooley bears that are crossing the roads now, but if my family gets hungry enough, I'd kill a bird or a deer in a second. I still have a hard time eating venison...heck I have a hard time eating my hens eggs!

Ruth: I took 3 years of Spanish and for all that work I know my colors, how to count to 20 and how to say: la pupitre es roja. Great. The desk is red. Whoopee...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  7:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Annika, I posted under the ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE thread that Teresa Sue started in the henhouse. I wondered why no one was posting and then thought maybe I did it wrong. Maybe I did but I think our posts about the book should be in the henhouse or the HHM/HM Connection thread rather than here since it's a henhouse topic. And yea, I’m really looking forward to hi-speed, especially after having it the last few days.

This is all getting confusing, isn't it? I've been trying to post anything related to a topic started in the henhouse there and anything started here, here. HHMs would post henhouse topics in the HHM/HM thread in the Keeping in Touch folder. At least that's my take on it. Anyone else have suggestions?

Dawn, since MJ’s truck is turquoise I think that’s an inspired choice on your part. Tiger’s eye and the other colors would go well with it too……………..Like MTR, I’d like to send Christmas cards to everyone too…………….So sorry about your fall. Is there anyone – family, friends, hatchery acquaintances – that could help you out? I wish I didn’t live 8 hours from you.

Marcy, so sorry you and hubby are having a hard time. You’ll both definitely be in my prayers.

Annika, keep reading AVM. They talk about raising animals for their food. I haven’t finished the book but I’m a little more than half-way through. This book isn’t like a novel – from what I can tell, you don’t spoil the ending by reading ahead. This should be required reading for every American.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  7:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Have you all checked out “The Animals We Eat” thread Rene started in the Keeping in Touch folder? I just saw a DQ commercial where a guy is feeding a chicken strip to his dog. I’m thinking “Don’t feed that to your dog. He deserves better!” It reminds me of something I read in a cookbook. They asked the question “Why do you eat? If you said, ‘Because you’re hungry, you lose.’ We eat to give our bodies the nutrients it needs.” I lost. My DH got it right. Guess which one of us is overweight. It’s getting really depressing to realize how many decisions I’ve made over my life that were mindless ones. Even more depressing are the ones that I didn’t want to make because it was more than I could handle at the time. Like when Robbie read to me all the bad things processed white sugar does to your body but I just didn’t want to hear it. Sound like any people we’ve been reading about – kinda like TS and Dawn’s (ex) friends? Sometimes people just aren’t ready and we’re there to plant the seed for change. We may never see the benefits but hopefully the seed sprouts and change happens in the future. I no longer eat processed white sugar. Which is not to say I no longer struggle with overeating. Yes, Virginia, you can eat organically and still not lose weight. Just eat more than your body needs and don’t exercise. I’m really hoping the food journal will flip a switch for me. Any maven help would also be appreciated……………..Boy, I sure took a turn with this post, didn’t I?

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 14 2008 7:21:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  7:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, anybody out there? This is what I get for waiting til the evening to post.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  7:27:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm here. I am trying to read AVM and post at the same time LOL!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  7:36:37 PM  Show Profile
I think that this entire journey with the mavens is a lot more complex than just saving heirlooms. This is about our lives, our choices and what we do with them. We have the chance to better our lives and save small bits of the natural world from becoming frankenfood. We have the chance to make a difference and learn what it really is to live, not just idly exist. This is way cool! I keep skipping around in the book, it is exiting to read about something that has been a worry of mine for some time. To begin my journey with my sisters into the world of the natural cycles of life. I'm not sold on becoming a vegetarian just yet, I'm just saying that I am going to have a hard time killing something when there is peanut butter sammiches to eat instead...we'll see with me how it goes and where this book leads me.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  8:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Annika! I don't know if you're still out there. I went to the henhouse and intended to check back here every so often but got sucked into the vortex.

I thought this spring we were going to go down the vegetarian path, although not so much for the not-killing-another-living-being reason as for health reasons. When we eat meat and don't chew it throroughly it takes much longer for it to digest in our intestines than say, veggies, fruit, etc. It can begin to ferment there and that's where a lot of digestive problems come from. Then I heard someone talk about how when you're young you can get away with being a vegetarian much easier than you can once you're in your 40's. After that you have to work really hard to get your protein from non-veg sources. We've cut way back on the amount of red meat we eat. We probably have it once a week at the most. Poultry and fish more often but still not every day.

The most important thing about whatever path you or anyone takes regarding their diet is that they do it as a conscious choice. (Have I beaten that idea to death yet?) If someone decides to get breakfast at McDonald's every day on their way to work and they understand what that means food- and health-wise, so be it. At least they've educated themselves and aren't just part of the mindless millions. (Personally I think anyone that takes the time to learn the real issues will at least make some changes - don't know how they couldn't.)

Regarding our chickens, my original intent was to get them because we want the eggs and I'd cross the what-to-do-with-them-afterwards bridge when I got to it. I got the Storey's Guide on raising chickens from another farmgirl and when I got to the butchering part, well, I still haven't really read that section. It may be another year before we get our chickens, especially if I can find someone local who raises chickens and sells their eggs. We're going to try for a garden that will feed us for a year next summer. That may be enough of a task to take on without adding the chicks to it. We'll see.........

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  8:35:37 PM  Show Profile
My problem with raising the chickens here so far has been the darned raccoons!.I'm trying to talk my dearest into letting me get more and just be more careful this time...we'll see.
I tried to go completely vegan as a teen (70's) with no idea what I was doing and got very sick. I think that the truth is, I will want turkey and chicken and eggs and fish. I just need to become comfortable with my decision to eat them and I am still having the moral thing. I wasn't raised on a farm, I'm a rootless army brat who has a problem with butchering things. It is not a judgement that I make on anyone, just my own inner balance of what is right for me that I'm still working on.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  8:41:28 PM  Show Profile
hmm.... maybe you can trade eggs/meat for butchering..meaning..find an old timer or someone in your area that knows how to do the butchering and has no qualms about it...and offer to give them either some fresh eggs or some of the meat for doing the task??maybe a little of the green paper stuff for their pocket too might be an incentive.. just a thought.But I'd think you'd be able to find someone through your local farmers market that would be willing to do so..or even by asking around at your local feed store.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  8:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Yea, it's a journey, ain't it?

Signing off for the evening...........'Night all.............'Night, Ralph.............G'mornin', Corinne...............

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  8:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey everybody - long day, work and then a knitting class, so was gone from 5:15am till 6:45 pm, then had to do the dog, dishes, make coffee thing.
Marcy, I hope things straighten out with your DH, guys get the monthlies too I think, then don't know why they are grumpy.
Brenda, Ruth, and Corinne, it has been neat reading your language/heritage posts.
Brenda - how close to New Orleans do you live now?
Dawn, I will have to re-e-mail you cuz I did not read the attachment and picked a number that was already taken. Actually doesn't matter because somebody already has me and I would be glad to pick out a garden gift for anybody here:D I hope you have calmed down from the snake incident.
Karen, I'm glad the surgery went well and the flat tire was handled so smoothly, thinking of you on your journey...
Alee, Tina, Rene, Annika, Teresa Sue, Lora talk to y'all soon
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  9:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, if nobody has chosen #2 yet, I'll take it. Since I have 2 kids and my birthday is in February (2month)it just seemed to fit me.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  9:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Morning ladies,
Ruth, so sorry to hear you were having rough times last week-end. It seems the economics are touching the guys at a very sensitive point and they are highly reactive at the moment. Will add you to my prayers.
Dawn, hope your fall wasn't a painful one and that you are not bruised in any place.
I see that the thoughts of our decisions about food is trailing around very meaningful ones. Trying to be conscious of what we do, trying to understand where it takes us is difficult. At least being conscious once a day will bring more consciousness into our mind and will make next decision easier.
I cannot raise chickens for the very reason that I do not want to kill them, Annika I am with you on this point. When we were in Canada i would go buy organic meat and eggs once a week at the farmers market. Most of our vegetable came from our garden and I had enough to can for part of the winter. Then, I would go to organic farms for berries picking. Organic apple orchards were not around 7 years ago in our part of Canada so I would gather wild apple and would rinse the fruits very well and do my best with what was available. I am sure things have changed and organic fruits are easier found nowadays.
It is a real conscious change in our lives that we are making here and a turning point for sure Karen. If we go slow we are more likely to maintain what we learn and the changes we make, because we are changing inside out and that cannot be done in a day in order to change. We have to go through the whole questioning, probing, understanding process and then, most important, following what is good for us.
Amy Grace, I will be your not secret Santa, have a few ideas already, just need to know what is your favorite color.
Sweet dreams to you dear friends, morning to who is still awake.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 14 2008 9:51:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  9:31:33 PM  Show Profile
hey Corrine..hope you have a good day!
--------
posted a new short topic/video link over on the Heirloom Mavens blog.
for anyone that is interested.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  9:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Tina, have a quiet and good night, just emailed you.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  9:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Tina ! I will head over there shortly =)

Corinne, truth is I haven't taken very good care of my body and it is, of course, not in great shape, but there is a first step to take also. I commend you on making use of wild apples, we have so many apple trees around here and I watch the fruit fall to the ground and spoil! No one but me seems to make use of it. I hope that this year I can grow enough of a garden to make a dent in our food needs. I will be happy to just have enough to augment our pantry for the winter for a beginning.

I will be happy for you Corinne and Tina, when you both live where you can grow wonderful gardens and spend time in your gardens with our Maven's own heirlooms that we all have saved from our own gardens and shared. Won't that be fantastic?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Annika, you are so nice, thank you for your thoughts and wishes. I like to foragge and everything isn nature is a gift. I am trying to pick less stones and less branches and less things, I know they are intended for animals too, but all is a gift.
I am sure yo are going to have a nice pantry filled up with vegetable you've grown in your own garden. Too bad I am so far at the moment or we would have a "canning together" couple of days.
wouldn't be lots of fun ? But who knows what is God plan for our friendship ? Am sure we will do wonders.
Sleep well dear one.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Annika...
oh yes I will be glad too when we get moved to a new home.We all worked in the front yard this weekend getting things all trimmed up and spruced up.
We have the backyard to tackle next.It is a lot bigger than the front yard..ahhh..but we'll all tackle that soon.
But as far as gardening..yes it will be great to get back into that.
In the meantime I am still collecting a few seeds that I know will remain viable for quite a while.
Trusting that things will progress along as they should and we'll be able to sell this home and then be in a new home soon.
hugs to you too.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  02:52:48 AM  Show Profile
I have just started reading this thread and sent Sunny a request to join the henhouse with the Mavens. You all are a wealth of information. I think anything we can learn and do is a blessing to us and those around us. Especially in the area of growing our own gardens be they large or small.
I have been up since 4:30 this morning reading this, I have been talking to my daughter recently about next years garden. She is willing to help and split the bounty. I would love information on where to get non GMO seeds.
thanks for all the great information.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 15 2008 02:53:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  03:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Denise! Welcome to the mavens! I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd check things out here. I was feeling lonely and then saw your post.

So glad to have you here. This is a bunch of very energetic and motivated farmgirls. You'll have quite a task ahead of you if you try to read through all the posts as we seem to average between 3-5 pages a day. (I told you - energetic!) Here is the link to the Heirloom Mavens Beginners Guide: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=582 Hopefully it will give you a head start on mavenly things. I need to add a blurb on posting bios and will do that as soon as I submit this.

You made my day - and that's saying something as it's 4:01am right now!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  03:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
I figured since I was up anyway I would check out the farm. I rarely get on here since I started working part time. After the holidays I am going to cut down my days at work if I can.
thanks for the link.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  03:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Denise, this is a nice group of ladies and I am sure you will enjoy the friendship and the infos.
Morning Karen, how are you guys doing today ?
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  03:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Denise, since you have limited time on the connection, please check out "The Mavens Haven" newsletter in the Chapter Chatter forum. It's a synopsis of what's been happening with the mavens. It will be posted on a weekly basis so those who are able to only check in occasionally can get a quick overview of the week's happenings. The first few posts will be longer as there is a lot to catch up on. It has a blurb about the topic with a link to the original post so you don't have to search this thread and/or the henhouse for it. As a newbie, I'd love to know if you find this helpful.

Again, I'm just so glad you're joining us.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  03:40:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Corinne. Looking forward to getting to know all of you better here.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  03:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Corinne! Well, Robbie's doing great as he's still sleeping. I've been up for the last hour and a half. I seem to be catching the can't-sleep-virus that's going through the nest.

How's everything on your side of the world? How is the bazaar shaping up?

God bless -
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page