Page: of 217

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
TS, was the trip to the chiropractor successful? After the incredible pain I had with the rib I thought it would be at least a couple of weeks before I was back to "normal" but in just two days I felt better than before the pain hit. I hope the same is happening for you..............I thought of you when we were traveling through New Mexico and saw hundreds and hundreds of acres of open land and know you're dreaming of 160 acres. There was one ranch where we got to see a cowboy herding the cattle. That was pretty cool – especially since one of our friends just moved his family to Nebraska where he got a job as a ranch hand. When we saw the cowboy, we both said, “That’s what’s Micah’s doing now!”.........................Re: cheese-making: you said you plan on having a different earth cellar for each kind of cheese – explain the reasoning and how you’ll build your cellars, please.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Tina, I finally was able to check out STL and LOVE it! At home, I can only get the cover page pulled in and then it hangs up. The cover is beautiful but it's also nice to be able to actually read the articles. So I'll be checking them all out while we're on our trip and hopefully by the time the next issue comes out, we'll be set up with high-speed satellite at home.

Dawn, wonderful chicken article! Are you still a morning person?

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Dawn~I don't want to be a pest but I didn't receive an email about the Christmas exchange.

I am so thrilled because I received my SSE catalog in the mail today. I spent sometime looking through it and enjoying the many different varieties available.

Corrine~I believe my husband's family is from the Province of Quebec~Shebrook~I have no idea if I am spelling that correctly. They are also Native American. I guess this was an area with many Native Americans at one time.

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:11:54 PM  Show Profile
"I'm glad that I have the chance to give you a special Maven-ish garden-y Christmas gift =)"

Annika~
I can't wait~I am so thrilled!!!!

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:12:49 PM  Show Profile
Corinne,
You are probably dreaming of flowers and busy bees right now, but you can read this when you wake up. To answer you question about what part of my heritage I would like to hold on to or continue and preserve......that would most certainly have to be the language. The Cajun language has all but died out. There is a small attempt in Lafayette to renew the original Cajun French. Sadly, none of the young adults are interested in learning or speaking French. That really makes me sad, because if no one wants to use our language, it will die when all of the elder folks that know it so well die. When my mother was a small child, she spoke only Cajun French and did not know English. However, at that time, there was a strong movement from the government to forbid the Cajun language to be spoken in schools. So when my mother started school, she was forced to learn English and as she grew up, she soon forgot her French. I was never encouraged to learn the language, I only know what I have picked up from my grandparents and other relatives. But it is part of my mission to learn as much as I can and pass on to my kids that knowledge. How odd is it that my mother was forbidden to speak French in school when she was young, but today, our Louisiana children are very much encouraged to speak Spanish? I look forward to getting to know you better and sharing traditions with you. One I can think of right away is the "Couchon de Lait" festival.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile
To all of the wonderful Mavens who have sent me girl friend mail. I do not know any girls not of this board to send it on to! So Love an' hugs to all of you. I've not sent forwards before really

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I lived in Germany as a small child, but by the time school got done with me, I hardly can understand it these day.I was forbidden to speak it in school too! I did live also in the UK, where my mama was from, and still use the spelling most of the time out of rebellion HA! You are blessed to have a culture to share =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Alee, how are the mid-terms going, girl?

Rene, welcome back! Missed you bunches!

Lora, when DH and I were out running errands last week we saw tons of hedgeapples on the trees along the roadside. I'll see if I can harvest some for you.

Corinne, are you sleepless thinking about getting ready for the bazaar? It sounds like you have made some wonderful things for it. Is it this coming weekend? I'll be sending warm thoughts and prayers your way that it goes over in a big way and you raise lots of $$ for those little furry creatures.

Brenda & Ruth, remember you can put your henhouse posts in the Keeping in Touch / HHM/HM Henhouse Connection Thread. It was created exactly for that purpose: to give honorary mavens a place to put posts that would normally go in the henhouse. Just reference which thread you're posting to as that will make it easier for everyone to keep track. You know how fast and furious the ideas fly here!

TS, Ruth's birthday is updated in the Addresses thread.

Dawn, would you please update the title of the Addresses thread to "Addresses & Birthdays"? Or how about if I put an Heirloom Mavens Birthdays topic in the Bios section? That seems like a better fit and you wouldn't have to keep up with birthdays on top of everything else you're keeping up on!

Washing soda - My Wal-Mart doesn't carry it but I've found it at regional grocery stores (i.e. local chains, not national), Shop 'n' Save, and Dollar Stores (I think). I think Annika's got the right idea with asking stores to carry it because buying it online would mean you'd pay way more for the shipping than for the actual product.

Dawnzo, do you have MJ's Farm Kitchen magazine? In there is a recipe for baking mix for bakeovers, etc. That would help you in the biscuit area. Need to research a good pancake mix recipe. I haven't used Bisquik in years. I don't make pancakes that often and when I do I use Bob's Red Mill brand.

We woke up to snow this morning! It's been snowing until about the last hour although there's not much accumulation. Our car is covered but if I took all the snow off of the roof it would probably make one regular-sized snowball.

Moving to the henhouse now..............

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
FYI: #4 has been taken. I have...................................Annika!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:43:13 PM  Show Profile
I swear I sent a mass email..... I will check into my sent box and try to send it away again..... modern technology...grumble grumble....
The only MJ mags I have are last issue and this issue. (Daughter/Ladyslipper). I am going to copy my email and post it HERE!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Since I'm away from my MJ mags (it was hard to leave them behind - they almost came with me - only the fear of forgetting them in a hotel room kept me from packing them - the fear is justified as our pillows are now in Tulsa), would someone who has the Farm Kitchen magazine be able to post or e-mail Dawn with the recipe? Can't have our maven deprived of those biscuits!

God bless -

P.S. Signing off for a little while - hubby's going to take a nap so I'm going to "force" myself to take one to so I don't disturb him with the peck-peck-peck of the keys.

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 14 2008 1:54:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Dawn it arrived one minute ago. Tonight our connexion is very slow, I go all the Mavens messages before I got yours and yours was posted before them.
Thanks for making is clear, I am going to have a lot of fun with that exchange.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 14 2008 2:01:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile
I am losing my flippin mind.... its not in my sent box.... Oh boy, its times like this when I really kinda get nervous as to whats going on with me!

RECAP:

I thought it'd be fun to do a Maven Christmas Exchange. I understand that pennies are being ferociously pinched these days so I have 2 catches: the first being that it has to be something that pertains to gardening. DUH. The second catch is: Think outside the box. What could an Heirloom Maven use? Maybe some newspaper starter cells? A handmade journal? A free-cycled container? A garden tote made out of a recycled calender? We have 13 sisters among us. If we get any newbies, I will take care of them. I figured we could pick a number between 1 & 13. I have a master list. We could send them out by December 10th? If you cant do it, its OKAY...
So pick a number girls...
1-2-3-5-6-8-9-10-11-12. Thats whats left.
It does not have to be a secret.... I have everyone's mailing addresses.
Big Hugs and Kisses!
Muah!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Thank goodness Corrine! Your insomnia saved the day...or night? Whichever!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:56:41 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, posted a pancake recipe in the coop.
Your not loosing it, it is the internet which is playing games with you.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:58:12 PM  Show Profile
One more post and I really gotta go.... I have been here ALL day. Tomorrow I am gonna take the day off and sew.... FYI: I ordered some beads for our "special" giftie at BBB...I have turquoise nuggets, an orange tigers eye, and some light green, red and blue floral. Happy, light and cheery. Do you think she'll like those colors?

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  2:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, it is always difficult to keep a language alive. I am sure that some families are keeping their traditions but they might be disseminated all over Louisiana.
As so glad to know more about you and your ancestors. I will have a closer look on the info you've sent me, it is still very possible that a village exists nowadays and bears your family mane, still very common in France.
Big hug to you,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  2:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, Sherbrooke is where one of my BIL lives, a nice place close to Maine border and surrounded by a lage lake, Maggog lake. Lots of mountains and a place known for apple orchards as well. They are lots of Natives in all the Ottawa area and up north, they are Algonquin. If you ever go visit your family over there, we are only 4 hours south, in the Ottawa valley, that would be wonderful to meet you in person.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 14 2008 2:13:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  2:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls.. really, I am going to sign off NOW.... see-wee-us-leee......NOW!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile
It is so nice that you all have this heritage to share Corinne, Brenda and Ruth! The French language, in all of it's forms, is a lovely language and one day I will have the time to learn them....hopefully =P

Dawn? Are we going to send Christmas cards to each other...I already have a list going of my Mud Hen girls, some of which belong to the Mavens as well. Just wondering...

Karen, I hope that you get your HS internet soon. I love it,! no more drudging through trying to get pages to load!

Corinne, you are so very kind to share your recipe with us. Thank you.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  3:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everybody! I hope everyone is doing fine! I havent been on much had a rough weekend with DH but were muddling through (Please send prayers) I am quickly trying to catch up on things as usual. I can get washing soda at my small local kroger store. Arm and Hammer makes it, its about the same consistancy of baking soda so that would work as well. I have used it with the same results. I'm off to the Henhouse>>>>

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  3:28:06 PM  Show Profile
Marcy, seems like the season to be tussling with the other half. I hope that things smooth out between you both. I haven't used washing soda but I do use baking soda in my wash and it works rather well.

Do we have a place to discuss AVM or are we just going to post out here? that is fine with me and lets everyone post and ask questions of one another...I'm telling you right now though, I'm about to become a vegetarian if I have to kill my own food to eat it...I couldn't do that, I really just couldn't bring myself to do it. Cowardly huh?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello, ladies~

My family still speaks Portuguese. We try to keep it going. My kids did not want to learn it. I am still hoping to teach them through homeschooling.
My daughter is taking French as her language.

Marcy~I am sorry to hear you had a tough weekend~I hope it gets better. Praying for you.
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  4:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Annika..I have two roosters that need to go to the butcher block. I dont want to do it or eat them either but I have to start somewhere and the DH and boys are so looking forward to the slaughter. Must be a guy thing. No your not a coward- I know that if I am to be self sufficient I better learn now--still..well, yuck

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  4:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ruth!! I think its great that you are keeping your language going. I took 5 years of Spanish in HS and my daughter is taking that now. My oldest son is taking French this year, but last year he took Spanish and French at the same time. Something I couldn't do!! :)

Marcy #257

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page