Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
How long do we want to wait to pick numbers (to allow for other potential mavens to join in)?

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:47:51 AM  Show Profile
I would say its first come first serve..... if you'd all like, I can post the "numbers" and lets say at 9pm eastern standard time, which would be 6pm for teh west coast gals and just about 9am for Corrine.... if I'm thinking right.... lets give it til Friday? I will email everyone now so that they know whats going on.....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo, mavens! My, it’s good to be able to type that again. Be warned – I’ll probably be posting a lot today.

TRIP UPDATE:
We got a little bit of a late start Saturday morning – in my typical fashion. It doesn’t matter how early I get up we still seem to leave an hour later than the deadline. Robbie’s a wonderful driver though and we travel well together. I told someone at church we get along better when we travel than we do at home! (Not to worry, we get along great at home – traveling is just so much more fun!)

The prayers and good thoughts for us on our travels were appreciated and needed. We had a flat tire just outside of Tulsa Saturday night. We were planning to spend the night in Oklahoma City and then go all the way to Colorado the next day. The flat happened just as we got to a toll booth so there was a nice place to pull off. We had AAA but I had to flag down a driver to find out our location so I could tell them where to find us. Even though I told the AAA person that we were two toll booths beyond the reference point she was using, I guess she didn’t understand because she called a tow truck from the reference point area – an hour away. By the time things got straightened out it was almost two hours before he arrived. He made excellent time though and was very nice and helpful. Anyways we ended up spending the night in Tulsa, going to church there in the morning and then getting the tire fixed. If you ever have occasion to stay in Tulsa, the people are extremely nice there. The hotel people, the church people, the waitresses, the tire guy – everyone was so friendly. We got back on the road around 1pm so that meant we would need to spend the night in Amarillo, TX. We got up early the next morning and made it safely to CO where we are now holed up for a few days – with hi-speed! Things could have been so much worse – the flat tire could have happened in a deserted area, it could have been a blow-out causing us to lose control of the car, we might not have had cell phone service, so many other possibilities. We really felt God looking out for us and believe your prayers and thoughts helped keep us safe. But even if the worst had happened, God is still good and still watches over us.

Robbie’s outpatient surgery went really well. We had a three-hour wait at the doctor’s office. They had some unusual happenings there that day it threw everything behind schedule. Since we were the last appointment of the day, we bore the brunt of the wait time. Robbie’s doing well this morning. The anesthetic wore off long ago and he’s not in much pain at all.

Now on to mavenly things............

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I'll hang back and if we get new mavens between now and say the middle of November, I'll swap with them. That okay?

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Oh my, I'm out of practice........

Good morning, Ralph! Good night, Corinne (althought I'm sure you're sound asleep by now)!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:00:11 AM  Show Profile
Here is a little bit about me:

I am a 43 year young homeschooling mom to 2 great kids and 1 terrific hubby. I was born in New Orleans and lived all of my life so far in Louisiana. I have always been a nature lover. I love animals and would probably adopt every stray I saw if hubby would allow it. I love to garden and grow things. I feel like I was born in the wrong time period sometimes as I am very interested in the old ways of doing things. I am honored to be an Honorary Heirloom Maven and pledge to grow only Heirloom fruits, flowers and veggies in my gardens. I feel it is extremely important to our future as a country and for our children to know where our food REALLY comes from and how to grow it for themselves. I hope to one day own at least 20 acres and to not only have an heirloom garden, but to raise heirloom livestock as well. For now, I am content to learn along with you all and to grow what I can on my humble 1.5 acres. Thanks to all of you for including me. :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:12:47 AM  Show Profile
karen, dont hold back... if new ones join, I will take care of them!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon, Mavens!!

Karen~It is so nice to hear from you. I am glad everything went well with your husband's surgery and the trip.

Dawn~I would love to participate in the Christmas exchange.

Corrine~My husband's family is French Canadian from Quebec.

Teresa Sue~How exciting that you made it to MaryJane's store. I can only dream of that trip someday or hopefully a store closer to me.

Annika~Our family is going to Disney in 10 days. I have tried to hold off on putting out our winter things because I know we will need the summer things for Disney but I can't any longer. It is too cold, especially in the mornings and it is going to get colder by this weekend. I guess I can put the summer things in the suitcases and get it ready to go.

It has been a very busy morning. We did some school and then went to a homeschooling meeting at our library. I had to run some errands after that and now here I am to check in with all my friends. This is such a wonderful group and I feel so blessed to be a part of it.

Here is my little bio~(I hope this is the right place for it)

I am actually a Portuguese immigrant to this country. I came here when I was 3 years old and it was a very big adjustment for my family. I got married 16 years ago and have two children a boy~11 years old and a girl~15 years old. I have held many jobs over the years~from nursing assistant, phlebotomist, hospital secretary to teaching kindergarten and first grade. I began to feel like the energy I was giving the kids in my classroom could be given to my kids~who were a little neglected with all the work I was putting in at school. Now I am a SAHM and homeschool our two children. I have just recently become interested in where our food comes from and what is being put into it. I have slowly tried to change to organics and this year I tried to grow my own garden. I have alot to learn about gardening and am so excited to be part of this great group where we can all learn together.

Thank you for letting me be an Honorary Maven.

Have a great afternoon and I hope to check in later.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:28:05 AM  Show Profile
In the past 20 minutes I just had the most horrifying experience of my life. I went outside with the dogs to go potty.... and I thought I'd look at a flower bed while they were doing their business.... I saw a piece of litter so I bent over to pick it up and that DA*N garter snake reared up and hissed at me! I swear it is war. Two too many snakes for this farmgirl. I'm shaking, crying, laughing all at the same time! Off to find a sharp shovel...

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Dawn, love ya! Wanted to get that in. Making notes in Word to post in a little bit but since Brenda and Ruth have just posted their bio's, what do you think of putting them in the bio section for them instead of in the bulletin board? You can give it a title appropriate to them with a little blurb in the main part that you're posting for them.

And B & R, remember you can comment on anything in the henhouse by using the HHM/HM thread in the Keeping in Touch folder.

Gotta fix lunch for Robbie..........will be back in a little bit.............

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:42:48 AM  Show Profile
ALready done. Thanks chick herder....

NUMBER 13 IS TAKEN!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  11:54:15 AM  Show Profile
Ruth , I am your not so secret Santa for the Christmas Gift exchange! I will be looking for just the right thing and doing some crafts that might count as garden goodies too...we'll see what I come up with.

I'm glad that I have the chance to give you a special Maven-ish garden-y Christmas gift =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I'm confused, where are the numbers to pick from for the Christmas exchange?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:12:38 PM  Show Profile
check your email.... however, its just numbers 1-12 now. Pick a number. any number.....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:16:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm gonna post this here and also in the "beauty" section of the forum. ijsut ran across a cosmetic product that uses corn, infused with flower seed to make their makeup packaging. Maybe GE, but pretty ingenious. Even though I am not working actively as an esthetcian right now, I am hoping to get in with a salon/spa that will think 'green' like me!

www.cargoplantlove.com

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Cannot sleep so went to see what you are all up to.
Haven't got any email but would like to participarte in the non secret Chrsitmas exchange. If number 7 is not taken yet, would like it.
Ruth it is funny your husband is french canadian too, is he from the city of Quebec or the Province of Quebec ?
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Corrine: I was just wondering what you were doing up!! You have numba 7...its AmyGrace.

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, I checked my e-mail but I don't have anything about the exchange. What should I be looking for?

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey Karen, so glad to see that you are doing fine. And you have hi-speed so you can post all your heart content and tell us what you thing.
Thanks Dawn, this is perfect.
Amy Grace, tell me if you have any allergies and what is your favorite color please. Am thinking of something here.
Will go try to sleep in a minute, have a happy day ya'll, thanks Dawn for setting this echange up, it is such a sweet idea.
See you in the morning Mavens.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 14 2008 2:06:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Nothin in my email, sista. I'll take # 3 if available.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Taking a break from working on things to check in and say hello
http://www.acresusa.com/magazines/magazine.htm
This company has some pretty cool books and a monthly magazine if you are so inclined

My goodness Corinne, I couldn't sleep last night and now it is your turn. I hope you are enjoying the quiet. I'm glad to "see" you *g*
Karen, how is Robbie doing? and you ?
TS, how is your hip doing? are you feeling any better...I know that you pulled it out of whack doing stuff. You all take care and sisterly hugs to all of you

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, still nothing in my mailbox so, Dawn, check yours.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, if you haven't noticed already my posts are not necessarily going to be in chronological order - as in first posted, first responded. I'm just throwing stuff out here until I can get caught up.

BTW, I forgot to mention in our flat tire adventure that the spare was also flat. Thankfully I had bought a super-duper emergency kit a few years ago and we take it on every trip. There was a little air compressor in it that works off of the cigarette lighter to inflate your tire. I had no idea it was in there but it was just another providential thing as the AAA guy didn't have an air compressor - it was on his other truck!

Lesson to mavens, always carry emergency equipment in your vehicle. Like the boy scouts, always be prepared. (I think that's their motto........)

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Dawn,
I just received a very nice surprise in my mailbox this afternoon. My Wild Maven Seed and Maltese Cross! Wooo-hooo!! Thank you so much. Thank you also for the sweet note. :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page