Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  06:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens, Good night Corinne.
Corinne what is STL?
I got my SSE yesterday and went through it with a highlighter, grin. I'm going to start ordering seed to, even tho I'll have a very, very small garden until we move to Idaho. A lot of what I want are French Heirlooms I noticed. I need to order a new Baker's Creek catalog.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  06:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Morning Teresa Sue, STL is the on-line magazine Tina and her husband put on every second month. It is instructive and just brilliant.
Check it out at www.stliving.net.
Glad to know you got your catalog and are feeling inspired by the diversity. Let me know which french heirlooms inspire you, maybe I can help.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 12 2008 06:51:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  06:56:28 AM  Show Profile
glad you like the magazine Corrine.:0)
oh yes..it is so fun going through the catalogs choosing things.
-----------
hope you all have a delightful Sunday.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  07:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
OMGosh,
OK, I was gone all week come back to 15 new pages.. OK.. I will read to day and get back with you all.. Just wanted to say howdie and let you know I was back... Missed you all...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile
I girls! Gosh, hae been so busy around here its nuts! Speaking of nuts....

"Harvesting Black Walnuts
In Minnesota, black walnut trees are usually ready for nut harvest from August through September. Follow the tips in this message to learn how to harvest them.

Allow nuts to ripen on the tree. The husk changes from solid green to yellowish green when ripe. Press on the skin of the walnut with your thumb. Ripe nuts show an indentation.

Walnuts discolor when stored with husks attached and their flavor is ruined. Wear gloves when removing husks because dye from the husks stains. Remove husks by applying pressure to the nut's ends. Pound side to side with a hammer while wearing safety glasses. Husks also can be softened in a container of water, then peeled. A third alternative is to place nuts in a hand-operated corn sheller.

After hulling, rinse the nuts, preferably outdoors since nuts stain. Next, check for insect feeding by placing the nuts in water. Nuts without injury will sink.

Do not compost walnut husks. Juglone, a chemical released by walnut trees, is toxic to some vegetables and plants, such as tomatoes.

Curing--The nuts must be cured. This prepares them for storage and allows flavor to develop. Stack the clean, hulled nuts in layers two or three nuts deep. Place them in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area, out of direct sunlight for two weeks. When nuts are dry enough to store, kernels break with a sharp snap. If cured improperly, mold forms.

Storage--After curing, store unshelled nuts in a well-ventilated area at 60 degrees Fahrenheit or less. Cloth bags or wire baskets discourage mold. Keep the relative humidity fairly high, about 70 percent.

To shell nuts, soak them in hot water for 24 hours. Drain and soak again for two more hours. Cover the nuts with moist cloths until you're ready to crack the shells. Bake nuts at 215 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. If stored at room temperature, use within a few weeks. Shelled nuts can be refrigerated up to nine months. They can be frozen for up to two years."

this is what I got from the Minnesota extention site. So thats what I did. I have no one here to turn to for advice so I rely on ya'll to help me get through. All I can say is the ones that just droped from the tree had worms... I sprayed the devil outta them and put 'em in water and they sucnk. If the nutmeat is goofy lookin, then i will pitch 'em then.
Corrine: Happy Turkey Day. Eat well....
I want to join SSE as well, but am waiting for some $ to come through. Wil the farm market not doing ANYTHING, I will have to wait.
Ruth: I never said it before but if you have enough gas, you are most welcome here anytime! As is anyone else!
AmyGrace: I too made up a list at work the toher day of actual Mavens and HHM's. You and i got the same amount. I dont know what happened to the others. I hope our chattering did not scare them off.... Sometimes it looks like this thread is just for us to blather away in and thats just not entirely true... its for everyone to blather away in.
I have not been to the coop lately. The weather here has been so awesome! 75 ish degrees, blue skies, little wind, the treec olors are 85% full on, its been very hard to come inside and sit at teh computer when I could be outside.
Tina: again, stliving.com is a smash hit. Way to go!
TS: if I did not mention it before, your bumper stickers are on their way..
If Brenda adn Ruth post bios here, I will cop and paste them in the henhouse as HHM's on the bulletin board or under my bio.
Didi I miss anything? Hows everyone today? I'm only giving myself an hour to be on here....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Crumbs! I knw what I forgot... Alee.... Billings was on our news last night (weather). Are you guys okay? How are my west coast girls? Do any of you need anything? I worry about all of you....in all that cold and....snow.... man I hate saying that word!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  08:32:24 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, glad to see your posts.
Please when ever you have time, would you send me the 3 stickers I've asked and paid for ?
Many thanks in advance, I am sure they will be successful in Kuwait.
Have a great sunday Mavens,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  08:40:11 AM  Show Profile
I think Alee is about knee deep in snow! We are only frosty so far.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  08:46:44 AM  Show Profile
good grief... how you doing Annika? You keep this thread fire burning dontcha?

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  08:50:59 AM  Show Profile
Corrine, I just read that post today, so I have them bundles up and they will be on their way tomorrow. I am sorry I didnt see it. I try not to be on the computer much during work hours.... as I've posted in the coop, if you order stickers, send me a quick email so that I can get them out to you quickly...

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  08:54:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by deeredawn

good grief... how you doing Annika? You keep this thread fire burning dontcha?

Dawn #279

heh, everyone needs a hobby I guess

Welcome back Rene!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  2:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Mavens make sure you check out Rene's new topic-Keeping in Touch/You can't take your eyes of them for a minute, and then check out the cornucopia.org/almond site. It has a lot on it and a very interesting chart on what big companies own the organic companies.
Glad to have you back Rene.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  6:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Mavens I would really appreciate it if you can take a minute and go to the coop and look under projects/chapter badge update and give me your input on our chapter badge design. Only five of us have done it and we don't want to make a decision without the rest of you having your say on it too.
-------
There's still time to sign up to work on your FARM KITCHEN/#1. KNOW YOUR FOOD badge that we are going to work on in conjunction with reading ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE by Barbara Kingsolver.
-------
Tomarrow is the day we start the Heirloom Mavens Book Club.
------
Good Morning Corinne, Good Night to everyone else. Hope you had a great weekend.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  6:23:25 PM  Show Profile
wow - I guess I need to check in a little more often. Glad everyone is feeling better, doing better, getting better, going on vacations, coming home from vacations, celebrating holidays, getting seed catalogs, posting new topics and blogs, harvesting nuts (can't eat thost walnuts myself, but sure they are good in baked goods), etc. etc. etc.

Dawn, about your x-friend. Someday when she has to pay thru the nose for her food because she believed in Monsanto and comes to you for help, you can look her in the eye and tell her I told you so. I have run into a couple of people like her and I like to call them Educated Idiots. They have a degree and think that now they know everything. I have a degree and know I still have much to learn. Remember, I am only 4 hours away - 2 if we meet half way. Calllllllll me if you need to talk.

To the rest of the chickies - there is no way I could ever compare to the work and knowledge you are sharing with the rest of us. What would we do without you!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, just had the daylights scared out of me. A spider just came down from the ceiling right in front of me. I HATE spiders. I know some of them are good for eating other nasty little bugs, but I would prefer that they stay outside. We have wolf spiders really bad here. My grandmother used to squish those black spiders that crawl on the screen doors in a tissue and chase me with them when I was about 3. Hated them ever since.
Sorry to say I do use a spray spider killer when they get inside.

Has anyone seen seeds for Hedge Apples? They are bumpy-green-apple-looking fruits that they say help keep spiders away when placed in the corners of your home. I used to find them everywhere, now not so much. Do you know what I am talking about?

head over to the hen house now - - - - - -

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  8:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Many thanks Dawn, ggod night and peaceful rest to ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  06:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens/Good night Corinne.
=====
Corninne I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and you didn't work too hard cooking and baking. I will post a list of those french heirlooms I want just as soon as I get time. Thanks for the offer, you are a sweetie.
======
Karen my thoughts and prayers are with you and Robbie today as he goes to surgery. <HUGS>
=======
Oh, thanks Corinne for putting in your thoughts on the HM chapter badge, that's 8 of us now.
=======
I'm so proud of all of you that signed up for the FARM KITCHEN/1. KNOW YOUR FOOD badge. Any more takers? If you're not aware this is a different subject than the HM chapter badge, go take a lookee. It's not too late to sign up. ;^)
=======
I was watching the US Farm REPORT on Sat morn. Guess who the sponser was? Right. Monsanto. They had this farmer from the midwest telling everyone how great they were and how much they have helped him and how proud he was to be growing their new roundup ready soy beans all the while showing the most luxurious crop you ever saw. Ugh, I had to almost feel sorry for that farmer for being suckered in the way he was. It pretty much annoyed me the rest of the weekend, hence my venting now. : )
======
This weekend was just like a ghost town around here, geeshish!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  06:35:26 AM  Show Profile
Morning Teresa Sue, we had a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner, thanks.
I was thinking to sigh for the KNOW YOUR FOOD Badge but so many things are not available to us in Kuwait, i was wondering if I can work around that. No health store here, only a very few organic items and I already cook everything from scratch. What do you think ladies ?
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:07:59 AM  Show Profile
I think we should make allwances for those of us out of country.... shoot... I HAVE NO ORGANIC PLACES HERE IN OHIO!! I am see-wee-us. I too am hoping for the best for Karen & Robbie.
TS: Yeah, we watched RFD tv last night and again, touting the blessings of Monsanto...
Lora: I will probably call you tonight, at least to see how the homestead stuff is coming along.
Corrine: glad to hear you ahd a grat holiday... its gotta be so impoortant to you to keep those traditions alive when you are so far away.
RENE': Welcome home kid!
Ruth, Annika and Brenda: howdy gals....
I have to go to Walmart.... I am dreading it. I will be online later today. I will also be stopping by the library to see if the AMV came in. If we had a bookstore in this ghosttown, I'd try to buy it....we just has ANOTHER Plant close.... I have no idea where this economy is going...
ALee: off topic, but I made the homemade laundry soap last week and all I can say is... holy soap suds batman! Thats some purty good stuff right there! I love love love the way my clothes feel. EVERYONE should do this.......

LAter chicks!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:37:34 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone! I hope that you had good weekends, or days as the case may be.
I need to pick up a few good notebooks, but right now I have a pack of legal pads to write on so I can start on the book and badge route. On with AVM! I will try to get some reading done today.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:38:08 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Mavens!!
Not too much going on here. I can't believe some people already have snow. It has been nice here lately. Yesterday, we went to an Autumn Festival. It was a bit sad because they usually have alot of crafters and there weren't any this year. Just companies with booths and flea market things.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Corinne for this badge you don't have to go all organic. You simply keep a month long journal of what you eat. You give up hydogenated oil, which you said you use olive oil, so that's not a problem. Can you get seeds to sprout there? If not I would gladly send you some. Please go to the coop and read what the badge entails because I really think it's doable for you. If you find something that you think won't work let me know and we'll get hold of Sunny in the office and see what we can do.
----
Dawn as soon as I'm out of the laundry soap I have I'm going to make that laundry soap too.
Wore my bracelet yesterday, loved it, it is so pretty. I'm going to wear it today too.
------
Hi Annika and Ruth. Can't wait until we get some talkin going on in the HMBC!
===
Well gotta run, I have to get ready to go to CDA(that's local lingo for Couer d'Alene)to the doc and hopefully MJ's new store, it's right on the way.
Talk to y'all later.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Morning Annika, morning Ruth, how are you doing ? Dawn and Teresa Sue thanks for let me try for the badge. I've read AVM last winter, so I know about it.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 13 2008 08:03:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Good evening Corinne =) I am fine, but had a very busy weekend. I helped give injections to a herd of goats and sheep. I was in charge of filling syringes and was the "nurse", so I didn't get trampled with all those hooves, thankfully, my foot isn't up to wrangling just yet.

I hope that you have a restful night and sweet dreams.
*Hugs*
Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Edited by - Annika on Oct 13 2008 08:50:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:58:33 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies, good evening Corinne. After reading about Dawn's experience with the flu bug, I decided to go get a flu shot Friday. I have a 4-H club meeting today. Hmmmm..... :)..... wish me well with that. I hope you all have a fabulous day.

I would love to make the laundry soap, but cannot find washing soda anywhere. What to do?

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I was thinking you were not working much at the moment Annika, and then you do all this work... take good care of yourself please and let this ankle heal properly.
Huggggssss
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page