Page: of 217

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  6:42:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking of actually joining SSE (Seed savers exchange) and getting in on some truly rare seeds. I am giving myself an early Christmas gift that I can share with friends =) is anyone else thinking of joining? I know it seems like a lot for a year ($35) but I'm serious about wanting to grow heirlooms and save seed. I will be giving up things to afford it, but I think it is worth it for a year of seed opportunities. They are doing an amazing job of keeping things going and I want to support them.

Ok I'm done blathering about that

Karen : Have a safe journey, you and Robbie ok? *hug*
Alee: Go girl! I'm cheerin' for ya
Corinne: *Waves* Hi ! Good Morning!

Amy Grace: As far as I can tell, Peaceful Valley is ok...I'm not 100% sure but they SEEM like they are ok and Dave's Garden Watchdog says they've signed the safe seed pledge, which unfortunately doesn't mean they 100% ok...some people who signed are still carrying some Seminis seed, like Territorial. But they seem committed to a more organic way of being then the typical Monsanto/Seminis supplier...shoot me if I'm wrong.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Edited by - Annika on Oct 10 2008 6:52:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  6:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey Annika - I was thinking about joining SSE too. I really feel like it would be a good use of $35, plus I think you get access to trading for all kind of seeds (sort of fuzzy on the details, yup, that's me) they have something like 10,000 vareties in their bank.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  7:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace, thanks for the good traveling wishes. From our house to the doctor is about 1000 miles, taking the southern route through OK, TX and NM to CO. On the way back we're planning to stop in Greensburg, KS. It's the town that was hit by the F5 in May of 2007 and is building green. They've been doing a documentary on it on Planet Green. Thank goodness the last show aired a week ago, before we unplug DirecTV.

Well, mavens, I'm signing off for tonight. Have just a little more to finish up with, then to bed to sleep soundly til 4am. I'm not so organized that I can have everything ready to go the night before. Will get one more post in tomorrow morning before taking off. Not looking forward to HMWD (Heirloom Maven Withdrawal).

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  7:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
P.S. I'm planning on joining SSE too if for no other reason than to give them moral support.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  8:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey everybody. :)

Dawn: That person with the degree sounds very much like the agriculture agent I went head to head with. That still rubs me the wrong way when I think about how smug he thought he was when he was talking down to me. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that to. Hugs to ya. Okay. I'm off to bed. Can't hold my eyes open any longer. Sweet seed dreams. :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  9:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Good night Mavens, how is every body doing this morning ?
Karen, safe travel to you guys and a successful operation for Robbie, you will be in my prayers.
Annika for sure we are going to exchange seeds from now on and for as long as we can in our lives.
Teresa Sue I would like very much to share seeds with you, being in the same zone helps see what is sucesful in one place or the other, sometimes the composition of the soil makes all the difference in the world..
It seems we won't retire for another 2 or 3 years and now with the market being quite volatile, we are loosing quite a lot. but God is Great and will find the right time for us to go home and the right place.
Heritage Seeds in Canada are great.
I nnow they are french, but some of the names of the variety are still the same, you could check :
http://www.kokopelli.asso.fr/boutic/index.html
They are totally organic and have been for close to 20 years now.
Let me know if I can help and I will email or post what you enquire about, from their site.
http://www.amishlandseeds.com/index.htm
is another site I trust absolutely.
Sweet dreams to all of you.
Will be off a lot today, we are celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving, and I will give thanks at the dinner table for having found you dear Mavens.

Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 10 2008 9:41:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  9:56:36 PM  Show Profile
A very wonderful and happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Corinne. I wish you many blessings and a lovely holiday.

*hugs*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  01:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Corinne, thanks for the wonderful traveling wishes and Happy Thanksgiving! I for one am very thankful to have you in my life, my maven sister.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  01:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, mavens, it's here! The first edition of The Mavens Haven is in the Chapter Chatter forum. This is a long one as there was a month's worth of postings to cover. I just touched on the highlights and will fill in the blanks as the weeks go on - if you find this valuable, that is. Wanted to get the first one out there so you'd have an idea to work with. Let me know what you think - I can take positive and constructive comments. Negative ones I have a little more trouble with but I'm a big maven; I can handle it. Have fun reading and find out who the Maven of the Month is for October!

Signing off and wishing you a Happy Anni-maven-versary - one month ago today the henhouse came into being! Only one day after the initial post - is that a record?

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 11 2008 01:19:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  05:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, thanks to Ruth and Annika, sounding boards and an extra couple pair of eyes for the HM Beginner's Guide and The Mavens Haven. Not sure how I missed thanking you right off the bat in the last post. Please forgive me. You were an immense amount of support.

Hitting the road within the hour. Love to all.............................

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  06:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, ladies!!!
You were very busy last night. Wow! I didn't think I would be able to catch up with all of you.

Teresa Sue~ My birthday is March 6. I don't mind if you ask.

I know Karen is already on her way but I must have missed the post on her husband's surgery. What is he having surgery for? If it's ok to ask. I am thinking of her as she starts this long trip and praying all goes well.

Corrine~Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. So sorry to hear that you will need to wait longer to retire but like you said God is good and He will work it out. I emailed you back this morning.

We have some guys doing some work in our house today. Can I say what a mess already and they have just started. My clean house is going to shambles. I hate that and it makes me so moody I don't even want to talk to them. I know it's terrible but it's like all my hard work down the drain. YUCK!!
Help me to have a good attitude.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  06:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Karen~You're very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very welcome (I just couldn't keep up with you). I didn't do much but I am glad to help.
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  06:49:40 AM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving Corrine.
Safe travels Karen.
Ruth..just think..when they are all done with the project..and when the re-cleaning is done..it will be nice to have things fixed.So..honestly..it is a good thing..but I'm like you..having folks/strangers puttering around in the house does make for a bit of stress.Maybe a good time to do a little embroidery work? or read a book if the noise level isn't too bad?
--------
Everyone please have a lovely day!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens. Well I'm going to try and be good today and not spend all day blathering away here. I'll try very hard to only be here twice today*sigh*.
=========
First off, Karen, and your advisors, Ruth, & Annika, y'all did a wonderful job on the newsletter. I was quite touched with Rene's story. I think it is a wonderful addition to our MAVEN WORLD(MW), hehe, here's another one for ya Karen. I only worry about it becoming a burden for you to do. Promise me, you won't let that happen. If it becomes too much let it go or ask if someone else would like to do it. But it was really wonderful and I think it might reach other farmgirls who might not peek in on this thread otherwise. I printed it off and I'm going to put it in my notebook. You deserve chocolate, good, dark, comforting, chocolate.*grin*
=======
Amy Grace I have never made cheese before but I have been thinking about it for years. I've ordered the cheese making catalogs several times but just haven't been brave enough to plunge in. I have decided I need to take more control over my food and that is a way of doing that. AVM is helping that along quite nicely, I might add. Yes, I love cheese too. In fact our entire family adores cheese. We once had a son-in-law who made the mistake of saying out load that he thought there was too much cheese on something. Of course, we had to bring him up before the family dairy board. He is no longer with us. Hehehehe.
==========
Annika, Amy Grace, Karen, I think I'm going to join SSE also. I'm still waiting for my catalog. SSE is too important in our scheme of things not to support them. And yea, I want those special seeds too, lol.
======
Corinne it will be very interesting to compare notes on the growth of the same seeds in our respective areas won't it. I hope you have a very nice Canadian Thanksgiving. It must be very hard for you both to be so far from home. Do you have other ex pats joining you for your feast?
======
Karen or Dawn could you add Ruth's birthday to the list(address please, in the hen house). Thanks sweeties.
======
Ruth sorry about your house. Hopefully the completed job will be worth the mess. I feel your pain tho, lol. My DH is a carpenter, oh lordy, ha!
====
Well Mavens I'm half way through the book, MONTROSE, A LIFE IN THE GARDEN, and I will finish it today. It goes toward a badge. Then I'm starting THE EARTH MOVED, no sillies, it's not a lust in the dust novel, it's about worms, *grin*.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tina, *wave/grin*, queen of the pseudo snow, LOL
What are you up to today?
===
Karen of course I'm going to MJ's store. I might have to hobble in there, but I'll be there. *grin*. I'll give a full report on it too.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Oct 11 2008 07:24:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:23:51 AM  Show Profile
hintfor those talking cheese: there is an article about cheese making in the latest issue of Small Town Living in case you all are interested:0)
(www.stliving.net)
------------
waiting on my SSE catalog as well.
just got an Heirloom Acres Seeds catalog going to look at that this afternooon and do a little marking up in the catalog..ha..dream list.
-----------

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile
hey TS! have fun reading those books..they sound like gooduns.:0)
have a great day!

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Tina, don't you just love wish surfin' seed books? So much fun! You have a great day

And you too TS! Have fun with those books, they both sound great.

Ruth, I know what you mean by being irked at the workers for making such a mess. I hope they get through with things fast for your peace and sanity.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Mavens thanks for all the good wishes on this day of celebation. Officialy the very day is this coming monday, but because today is the last day of the week-end we celebrate tonigh.
Ruth, yes it is hard to be away but living the expat life our family is made up of our friends abroad and that a very nice family indeed. It changes with each move but is always warm and thoughtfull.
In my personal thanks and graces I am going to mention each and every one of you because you mean so much to me and because I feel your friendship every time I log on.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Oct 11 2008 07:52:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:52:37 AM  Show Profile
yes Annika..I do.:0) there are always more seeds than my pocketbook can afford though...but I certainly do like looking and planning.you have a great day too.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  08:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Tina - thanks for the tip on the cheese article - will check it out when we get home from the farmer's market (I have the day off, don't often get a Saturday off, so we are having a "fun day")
Corinne - happy Canadian Thanksgiving!!
Teresa Sue - my husband is a carpenter too, I don't know about you but projects at my house don't get done in a timely fashion, from what I have heard it is a common trait among those in the trades
Ruth, I hope the chaos in your home subsides soon and isn't too overwhelming, it is bad enough here when my husband decides to do a project, it becomes the center of energy for the duration. I suggested a way to do a project to him that would mean less mess and he just looked at me like I was an alien
Oh and back to cheese-making, after reading AVM it seems like it wouldn't be that intimidating.
Good day to you all - talk later
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  08:23:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, sweet mavens for all the kind words. Well the guys had to leave and they couldn't do the work. My husband wanted cameras installed because we are going away to Disney for a week and we have had some trouble with a trouble-making neighbor. Such a long story but they couldn't do it because we have fire block (cement blocks) between our walls.
I have most of the mess cleaned up. Now hubby is working on finishing my greenhouse from MJ's magazine. You can see a picture of it on my blogspot blog~just scroll down.
I am going over to read the newsletter. I am so excited.
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  10:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
As far as I can tell from going through the posts, this is our chapter's breakdown:
We have 12 HMs & 2HHMs that regularly contribute to the thread. 11 of our HMs have done their bios, with Alee the only one that has not, which doesn't surprise me as she is so busy with school. There are 8 others who have posted on the thread, but we haven't heard from them lately at all. Do you think we should email them and ask them if they are still interested or just let it go? What'cha think Mavens?
-----
I got my SSE catalog in the mail today, oohrah!!
----
Our two active HHMs, Brenda(Homespun Livin)& Ruth(Homemom), should post their bios here.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Oct 11 2008 4:51:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  10:55:34 PM  Show Profile
have been looking through the Baker Creek Seeds site today..made myself a big list. Gonna talk to hubby about it..and..crossing my fingers that he'll go ahead and purchase for me everything I'd like to be able to grow. Thing is some of the seeds will be viable for up to 5 yrs or better.
So..we'll see.
I like that no matter how much you order from Baker Creek..the shipping is only $3 in the U.S.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  12:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Good night Mavens, morning Tina, just finished reading STL, I DO like it a lot, Each issue is truly packed with neat infos and the pictures are just so beautiful.
Thanks for the great work and for keeping us in touch with meaningful leaving.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page