Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Boy, it's really quiet today.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:23:56 PM  Show Profile
I know! I'm gabbing my silly head off and feel like I'm talking to myself :P

I hobbled out and looked at my rugosa roses today. I'm thinking that if they make it through the winter and I know these are really tough roses, that I will be on my way to a rose hedge. I like the wild and unruly roses just the same as the civilized and pedigreed ones =)

I am thinking that next in my hedge will have to come more small-fruiting shrubs like service berry and oregon grape. It's fun to see things grow the way they are supposed to. I'm still wobbly on my gardening here and I'm thrilled that my roses made it through the hot dry summer with no extra watering. I'll have to look them up and see if they need any extra care for the winter.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, so sorry about your potentially ex-friendship. Again, as much as possible leave the door open because someday something may open her eyes and she’ll think of you. It’s a shame that the people who are “in charge” of our food supply are so blinded, but then again for most of them it’s their livelihood that’s being threatened.
It’s really hard to be a pioneer because you’re leading the way. There isn’t anyone’s footsteps to follow in. That’s one of the reasons I admire MaryJane so much. She goes with her heart and her convictions. She doesn’t blindly accept the status quo but questions it. That’s what we’re doing. It isn’t an easy path we’ve chosen but we will be able to say, “I studied. I learned. I made the best choices I could for my family and the world. I have no regrets. I did everything I could.”
That's why I love this group so much. We validate each other. We're not alone in this movement. Thankfully we do have others who've gone on before us to help show us the way but sadly we're still at the forefront. Words cannot explain how dear and precious each of you is to me. You all bring something different to the nest and we are all the richer for it.
FYI: Today is the one month anniversary of the Rene's initial DOE post. Happy anniversary, mavens! Newsletter coming tomorrow............

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I'll be checking in throughout the night as I finish packing and cleaning. If anyone's out there, I'll listen and respond as I can. I'm gonna miss you all so much til we get settled in CO for a few days.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
When I get settled I want some good ole fashioned rosa rugosas too. I want them for their rosehips and fragrance. I'd rather have an old fashioned rose with some fragrance to it than a perfect rose with no smell. I want some oregon grape too, the berries are great to dye wool with.
I think all you need to do to them is mulch them deeply with leaves or straw. Which reminds me, I need to do that with the little rose my daughter, Cheyenne, gave me. If they are bigger I know some people wrap theirs with burlap for some extra protection from winter.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Karen, I missed you Grasshopper!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey everybody - Karen, I hope you have a great trip!!
Dawn, I'm thinking about you and your friend - it is so hard to be a pioneer sometimes. The dominant beliefs in our culture are so ingrained that it is hard to find common ground. I think a lot of it is our current political climate/culture, it is very divided - my way or the highway kind of thinking. I know that there used to be room for disagreement but respect at the same time. My grandma's family used to have family reunions every other year but has had to stop because everyone disagrees so violently on politics anymore. I am glad that we all have each other for support. I am lucky to have a fellow farmgirl in our little town but other than that I don't have a big support system - I am grateful for all of you and your friendship. I wish I could check in more often, ah well....
Annika - what do you know about Peaceful Valley Farm Supply - I have bought seeds and plants from them in the past, I think they are pretty kosher in terms of our purposes.
I think it would be awesome to have a Maven's homestead tour - my husband wants to get more land and work towards self-sufficiency. I would like to do that too but am afraid that I would end up being the driving force - he loses momentum sometimes - we will see what the future and the real estate market bring.
Talk to y'all soon
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Oct 10 2008 4:11:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Happy one month anniversary Mavens!
TS: over bred scentless roses are senseless to me, I'd rather have the old standbys with all of the sweet rose scent and , from the rugosas, the hips for tea and jelly.
I didn't know that oregon grape berries could be used for dye...I have so much to learn. Cool!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  3:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Happy one month anniversary Mavens!
Oh yea, I forgot about the jelly, I'm all about the sweets,*grin*
Hi Amy Grace. I missed you. Yes, I know what you mean. I'll be the one who will be doing the brunt of the work for the homestead. At least the day to day stuff, hubby will do the heavy building. Once we get up there I'll quit my outside job hopefully. Course, from the quartly report on our 401K yesterday, maybe I won't be able too. I'll hope for the best.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
TS, miss you too, PQ Master. I so hear you re: the 401k report. I used to work for a brokerage company that was recently bought out. Our stock option was converted to 50% cash/50% stock. We didn't like it at the time until we got our report today. The cash account is stable; the stock dropped by 90% of its value. Good thing we don't have ALL our eggs in one basket! Yet more evidence for self-sufficiency.

So many things in AVM I want to mention but saving them for the book club. Four more days til it kicks off - YIPEE!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I know, I'm the same way. I've gotta root around in this office and find me a spiral notebook for the journal for the badge tho. I need to re-read the first two chapters, I'll do it Sun tho. Are you there yet, or just at a motel along the way. I hate motels.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Mavens please check out the henhouse and the HM chapter badge update. Thanks.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:20:51 PM  Show Profile
HI girls...This may be long...so forgive me.. it seems my REAL friends are all on opposite ends of the nation so this is how I have to get my "hen fren" fix! Okay, I am over the whole thing with my friend. I didnt' argue with her...I was too shocked that she blatantly ignored my statements and then went on to argue that she didnt have the money to get better food.... for christmas sakes... its SEED! She argued with me about the beef thing like yours did TS, and I said, "well once I have the chance I will raise my own beef and they will be grass fed.." she quieted after that. OH WELL!
I dont mind being a mover and a shaker.... as much as heirlooms have been in the spotlight lately, someone will realize sooner or later....
I have 3 acres of land at here at the house. I am going to try and squeeze as much of it into gardens as I can... Dh's dad owns over 30 which we will inherit and you can bet it will be farmed MY WAY.
What are rugosa roses?
I never heard the trick about the walnuts being given to the chickens.... I just peeled husks off the rest of them and ugh.... the worms...well YOU know.... Right now they are soaking in some water. The ones that floated I pitched and the others. I may still give the chickens... what do you ladies think?
I think once I clean them up pretty good I have to store them in a cool/dry place right? I think I have enough for a batch of cookies! i can see why they are so expensive.... hard to husk, messy, wormy, floaters arent good, and then you have to pick the nut meat out! I'm tired already!
Okay, chicks. I just got out of the shower... I felt gross after that chore... I have green mask on my face and I need to take it off before I scare the life outta hubby!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Not in a motel yet. Still at home! We leave first thing tomorrow morning. Actually second thing - posting the newsletter first, then hitting the road. I made sure to make reservations at hotels with hi-speed but not sure that I'll have the energy to set up the laptop until we settle in at CO. We should get there Sunday evening but Monday will be a big day (OP surgery day for hubby) so it may be Tuesday before you hear from me.

We so deserve the PQ title! I'm trying to print out all the posts to put in a notebook and read along the way. I left off at just before 11am on Wednesday and we've added 10 more pages since then! I'm hoping to be able to get every printed through tonight but at that rate, it may not happen. My word document is at 143 pages already!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Duh! I knew that, forgive me Grasshopper. I don't envy your trip. I like going places, I just don't like the actual traveling part, to the place, if ya know what I mean.
I agree Dawn, grass fed is the only way to go. That is a beef's natural food. I'll have my milk cows calf for our yearly beef. I want a Jersey and I'll have her bred to a breed that throws small calves. I might have two milk cows. But, like I said I want Jerseys, I want that cream to make butter and of course there will be the cheese. You know, real cheese that doesn't come in plastic. Studies have shown that grass pastured livestock have half the cholesteral(sp) than livestock fed grain. Also of the cholesteral that is present there is more of the good kind than the bad.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I'm going to have a different earth cellar for each of my kinds of cheese.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:38:36 PM  Show Profile
I hope that your husband does well with his surgery and recovers quickly Karen. And I was thinking you were off on a fun autumn jaunt. Tell him good luck.

http://www.wsu.edu/~lohr/wcl/shrubs/rosarug/wrorugde.html
Okay, here Dawn, these are the wild type rugosas. They are super hardy very stickery hedge type roses with nice rose hips in the autumn. I'm quite fond of them. A bunch of them in a mason jar looks so farm kitchen and pretty in the summer and they grow just about any where. I wuvs 'um.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Edited by - Annika on Oct 10 2008 4:48:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  4:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Happy Anni-Maven-versary!

Um... Karen...did your walnuts have..... uh...... maggots?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  5:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Uh, no to the maggots......the okra is/are calling me to cook it/them for supper so I only have a minute but here are my suggestions:
1. The ones with worms should be pitched as they are too far gone for what I would consider safe. I’m assuming they were super mushy (see page 80 3:44pm)
2. The "floating" reference was for chestnuts, not walnuts. Not sure what it means when walnuts float/don't float.
3. Yes, store them in a cool dry place until they are completely dry. No rushing (see reference to peeking at sauerkraut). Also, even though Carla mentioned putting them on a concrete floor, when Robbie heard that he said, "They will stain the concrete floor - big time." We put ours on old screened windows. (see page 79 1:07 pm for original post about walnuts – also note ‘don’t dawdlw’ reference)
SLOW DOWN, QUICK DRAW!

TS, the walnut-eating-chickens were your domain I believe.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 10 2008 5:09:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  5:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Nope, not me. For once, I'm innocent,hehe

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  5:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Seeing light at end of tunnel... 2/3 of the way through History Mid Term!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  5:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Go farmgirl, we are all rooting for you. Miss you here.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  5:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I've skimmed the four previous pages and haven't found the 'walnuts for chickens' post so whoever it was, please jump in.

TS, will be thinking about you on Monday especially with your visit to the 'practor. Are you going to make a stop at MJ's new shop? Silly question?

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  6:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Alee, show 'em what a farmgirl can do. Remember, you're on the downhill side of the semester when mid-terms are over. We're proud of you - keep on keepin' on and we'll keep the henhouse warm for ya.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  6:25:55 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue - have you made cheese before? That is on my list of things to learn to do. I work with a lot of imported cheeses at work, I love cheese:D really really love cheese.....have to be careful not to love the cheese too much. The good thing is I get a lot of cheese samples
Karen, will be thinking of you driving - how long of a drive is that? I am great at measuring distances that originate in, say, Washington, but sort of fuzzy on places I haven't been.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page