deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  08:04:52 AM  Show Profile
I am at work today, and wont be in the vortex as much. I posted the Monsanto list in the bulletin board and will try to utilize that for more important topics. I am going to try to wean myself off this for the wknds so i can get stuff done around the farm....
Hi to everyone... Karen, you & Robbie be safe.....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  08:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Dawn for posting that, it will really be helpful.
Corinne we should be able to swap seed from zone to zone,:)
I know exactly what you mean Ruth. I was looking at the ingredients label on my favorite enchilada sauce and saw it was manufactured by ConAgra. Not good, I've got to start making even more of my own stuff too.
Glad to see you peeking in Amy Grace. I remember how the bakery/deli took over my life. It is so hard to work at an outside job and come home and just do housework let alone garden, can, etc.
Just curious......
I see over and over the same members posting, are the other members just reading and not posting, which is okay, I just wanted to know if we've lost members already :(
If you're out there check in and be counted.:)
Goodnight Corinne.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering the same thing TS, not a lot of people posting, which I understand, we are a talkative bunch and others may not know where to join in.

please feel welcome everyone =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  08:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
lol, talkative is an understatement, perhaps it's the passion of it all and it ignites us. Just remember if the flames get too hot, drop and roll,lol wouldn't want to melt your keyboard,ha!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  09:55:32 AM  Show Profile
http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/features/2005/0205/seminisbuy/index.shtml
More information from the Rodale institute, about garden suppliers supplied by Seminis and a list of varieties to avoid if we are going for a strictly non-GE heirloom garden. I am trying to find sources of rare herbs that might survive my brown thumb. Nichol's is apparently supplied by Seminis and I've always tried to go in on orders with others when I can, but I don't want tampered with seeds, I only want pure seeds in my garden. So off to search through the list of safe seed pledgers to find some of my favourite herbs to try and cultivate.

I'm very chatty on the internet, not as much in person. I'm here a lot right now, because my ankle is still gimpy from the break in August and it hurts to waddle around on it. so I'm blathering =) I'm half Irish, we are good at blathering!

Some companies have not taken the safe seed pledge or become fully certified organic for one reason or another. I think I trust Fedco to tell us which seeds are Seminis seeds, if they still carry any, the same with Territorial. They have big natural garden customer bases I think and it would be to their better advantage to say so and not lose customers. The sad truth is I don't think a lot of people care that their food is all fake...that is scary. Mavens, we got us a lot of educatin' to do!

Corinne, I hope you are having a good weekend and enjoying your evening. Big hugs to you sister!
I look forward to being your friend for a long time and still sharing seeds when you have your farm in Canada once you retire.

Dawn, I know what you mean about weekends. I'm going to try and go through stuff that doesn't fit me any more and donate it to a good thrift shop. We have too much junk here and I'm falling behind on weekends, so I'll likely be posting a bit less then too.

Karen (and Robbie) both of you have a wonderful trip and let us know how things are going when you get access! We will be here and talkin' away! You will be missed.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I'll admit I'm more reserved in person also, but as I know a person better, then I'm more talkative. I've been on a lot lately too, I have put my hip out of joint and it's rather painful to do much, I'm going to Couer d'Alene on Mon to the Chiroprator. BTW, Annika that's when I'll get your fq pkg mailed if that's okay. Too painful to get in and out of the car right now.
It reassures me what you said about Territorial, because I bought a lot of heirloom plants from them last spring.
I can't believe how many people just don't get it about the food they eat. Sometimes I wonder how the human race will survive.
I see many of us being friends for a long,long time and that is a very comforting thing to me. Wouldn't it be a grand thing in the future when we are all settled into our homesteads for us to take a visiting tour?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  10:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh Teresa Sue, I hope that your hip feels better. That really hurts. Ouch!

It would be a grand thing to be able to have a farm girl homestead tour of all of our Maven sisters! I'm still trying to convince my sweetie that we need acreage =) I would be happy with just a couple of acres really, I don't need much. I'm only planning on having poultry and a garden and a few fruit trees, nothing more then a couple of people can handle when one of them works full time. You can pack a lot into a couple of acres.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I agree Annika. Ideally I would like 160 acres of land, but I know we can't afford it. Over the years I decided that whatever the universe gives me, I will make do with it. If you garden with intent you can provide an amazing amount of food on a very small bit of land. You can have small livestock, chickens, rabbits,etc. It is doable, you just have to be determined.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I even think it can be done if you live in town. There might be restrictions on livestock, but even Seattle lets you have a few hens.
Thanks for the concern on the hip, it's not too big a deal. I was going to try and tough it out until I had the cemetery put to bed for the winter, but the thought of coping with it for 4 or 5 more weeks didn't appeal to me. So I'm laying low for a few days, going to the Doc and then going to go full bore until I'm done with the cemetery. I'll have to take care of all the leaves, over a hundred maple trees, which are stunning, but oh boy they produce a lot of leaves. I also have to get the memorial rose garden cleaned out. I'm going to move all of the hedge roses out of there and replant them along some pieces of ugly chain link fence. The hedge roses are bullies and they want all the room in the memorial garden. I just don't know what whoever planted them there was thinking! I'll have to get them all pruned too, that's the plan anyway. I also have new bark mulch to lay down there. It'll be nice to have it done.
Then I can retire to my sewing room and idle away the winter days with my fabric,;^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Ya'll are more than welcome to my homestead anytime..... and I mean that. Just show up.

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I would love to and I will someday you can bet your polka dot bloomers on that! ;^)
Did ja find a cake filling you like for your DD bd?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Well Mavens I'm getting a bit peckish so I think I'll go make me some toast and jam for lunch. I'd usually have tea too, but I've already consumed a whole teapot full this morning and I'm wired to the hilt, giggle. I'll have to settle on toast made from homemade bread and some homemade blackberry jam,mmmmmyumnumly.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Where is the link to the MOnsanto film? I went back but didnt see it....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:03:32 PM  Show Profile
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=587

Here it is Dawn, under book discussions.Probably a dumb place to put it, but it is media so...

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:17:57 PM  Show Profile
No.... not dumb. I too just killed a friendship over GMO. Apparantly, I no longer have any Ohio friends left as she and i were the closest. Oh well.... I'm done here for awhile... I need to think.... how sad....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, I'm so sorry. I hope that you find peace with the friend if possible. And I hope that you have a good weekend. *hugs* sorry about the friend.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to hear that Dawn. It is sad and at the same time an awaking within yourself because it makes you realize you have to make a decision on how far you are going to go with your beliefs. I know, been there, done that, have the t-shirt, as they say.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  1:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I heard today that if you have chickens just put the unhulled walnuts in with them and they will do the work. No black hands for us!!! When theyre done just ppick the nuts and then shell them!

Where is the best place to purchase heirlooms that are safe from the bad guys??

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  1:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Dawn~I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. People just don't understand how important this is. I know that some people look at me like I have two heads. Wish I could pop over to your homestead right now and give you a great big hug. How far is it from little RI to Ohio. I think I have enough gas.
Teresa Sue and Annika~I would love to have some acres. Ideally I would like 5. I would like to eventually have some goats, a couple of sheep, chickens, lots and lots of veggies and some fruit trees.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  1:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Shes a grad of Ohio State ATI (which is the agri-college here) and Monsanto actually came in to talk to them about agri-business and apparantly she does not care or can afford to buy non GMO foods. Furthemore I am told by a person with a DEGREE in agribusiness that there is NOTHING wrong here..... i'm am flippin ticked.... and hurt.....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I know, I know. That is how I felt when my "frienemy" and I had our conversation. It was the smugness of it all that just p____d me off. Just because someone has or doesn't have a degree is not a measure of how intelligent they are or more important, if they have any common sense. What's really insane, she didn't even pickup on the fact that I was upset. Let me tell you this, I Do Not have a pokerface. My DH laughs we he tells me never to play poker because pretty much what I'm thinking is written all over my face. My frienemy was so busy talking down to me she didn't have a clue.
Just take it with a grain of salt. It's a semi-free country and if people want to stick their heads in the sand and pretend it's all okay, there is nothing you can do about it. Land grant agri colleges are in pretty deep to the Monsantos of the world. Most anyone who has degrees from them would have to take a good hard look at what's going on and then they would have to validate what they have learned AND what they have become because of it. It would be hard.
We all pretty much knew as much when we started this little dance. We have to concentrate on educating people who have an open mind and will at least consider what we have to offer.
Like I said before, it really, really makes you take a look at what you believe in and how far you are going to go with it.
A big hug to you, now go have some good chocolate and a cup of tea, you'll feel better.
Hiya Ruth and Marcy, good to hear from you. Hey Ruth, when's your birthday, if I may ask.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Marcy, the best places to get heirlooms are Seed Savers Exchange, Baker Creek and Heritage Harvest Seed in Canada. There are other places but those are so far as I can tell, the safest. I am trying to research sites and seed companies and clean house at the same time :P I need to be two people.

Fedco and Territorial both have used Seminis seeds and I honestly don't know how safe either is, though I think both companies are trying to be honest about which varieties come from Seminis/Monsanto. There is a list of the ones to avoid a couple of pages back and under the bulletin board in the hen house.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  2:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Annika do you know anything about Richters Herbs out of Canada?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  2:25:52 PM  Show Profile
No, but I'll look them up ok? Have any of you been to Dave's Garden?
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/
They rate companies around the world and we can probably find something about them there...hopefully.
BRB =)
okay back

http://www.richters.com/
The watchdog site says that they don't have the best rating for customer satisfaction, but they have signed the pledge.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Edited by - Annika on Oct 10 2008 2:31:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  2:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks. I had heard they have a fabulous selection of herbs, even the really, really hard to find ones. I've never bought anything from them tho.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page