deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:13:52 PM  Show Profile
okay...next time you tell someone to wear gloves when doing black walnuts. Please specify that you need metal armor!!! I was just wearing brown jersy gloves and I look like I've smoked for 50 years straight... another thing. Will they turn dark with air exposure? Mine are like acreamy milky color... Please let me know as I dont want to poison my family!!

Karen: Now you tell me I can use the black ones.... after I went ALL the way back to the woods again! So if they are hard its okay right? I know nothing about them other than I make a mean chocolate walnut chip cookie with them.

AVM: I may be the hardest convert.... I FINALLY went to library and got an inter-libnrary loan. I may not have it by Monday, but I will catch up I promise!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
TS, one more thing, I do have a Travel Control Journal that I use for every trip we make - courtesy of Fly Lady.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:17:28 PM  Show Profile
TS:
Fine then...no receipt for you! Plbbfffppp! (thats how a raspberry sounds dontcha think?)

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn - rubber gloves were specified. Not sure what you mean about the creamy milk color. Robbie's wondering if you are dealing with horsechestnuts - they have an olive green pimply hull. But when you break them open they're "a shiny brown color with a little light colored marking on them. They're very pretty - a very shiny brown." Please advise. I will check in again after small group.

Also, be prepared to spend A LOT of time picking out the meat from the shell after you crack them. And that's not an easy job either - very hard shells (as evidenced by the fact that you can run a car over them and they won't crack). I'll post Carla's little tidbit about cracking walnut shells later (tomorrow maybe). I just remember my grandma picking the nutmeats out of the shells to give them as gifts as it was a lot of work to get them. I also remember chomping down on the shells in my mom's cookies because there will be the sneaky shell bits that make their way into the cookies no matter how careful you are. It's all part of the experience.

Gotta tell ya, girl, you are only the second person I've ever known to jump on something so fast. You respond quicker than greased lightening when an idea pops in your head. Remember: patience is a virtue.

Edit: Yes, the green hulls will be "hard" - as in not mushy. But they should squich fairly easily when you stomp on them.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 11 2008 01:35:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay, goodnight to all, except Corinne, good morning. I'm off to a hot bath, make enchiladas for dinner and early bed. Catch y'all tomarrow, tomarrow(you know, that old shirley temple song)
Good night Dawn with the creamy, brown hands(sung to Jeannie with the light brown hair, giggle, this is the only place I laugh and type at the same time)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, I just had to sign back on one more time because I realized.....................

DAWN, YOU'RE BACK! I was thinking about you "griping" about your stained fingers and making two trips to the woods, and I realized YOU'RE GRIPING! YOU'RE FEELING BETTER! You're back to your old onery self that we know and love so much. So glad you're feeling better, my deere!

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 09 2008 4:36:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:49:59 PM  Show Profile
wait wait!!

Okay. They are green and about the size of a small apple. Most of them when I wack them open, are brown. Some of the smaller ones or real green ones are creamy milky white. Most of them have this black on them that looks burned or charred. those ones are really gooey and black. My hands are brown... sorry, I missed the rubber glove part.... yes, I'm a "quick draw McGraw" girl. Okay, I am going to research on wikipedia...

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen.... you're a real pal! <wink!>
I dont think theres much of anything that I didnt eat, gorge or inhale today... I was a beast against the refrigerator... Yeah...much bettah!

I totally have black walnuts.... dont scare me like that! Horse thingies are spiny.... mine are like the texture of a basketball....

Okay, its dark here. I have to go put chicken poop on my compost while the bees are asleep... my compost is FULL of bees! Not nice ones either I might add!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  5:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Are you sure they are bees and not wasps? Wasps love the compost piles. Honey bees do not eat compost they gather pollen. I love bees, wasps not so crazy about.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  5:50:38 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the info on the chestnuts..I looked it up too..seems you have to cut an x in the shells of each one before roasting to prevent them from exploding in your oven..ha. but yes I think we'll go ahead and gather them..no sense in wasting them and they sound like they are a healthy thing.
and they can keep in the freezer for quite a while too..the neighbors tree is full of the burrs right now.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  6:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens!

Here is the Treasury Report:

Paypal takes a small percentage per deposit transaction (Price of doing business)

So we have had 2 deposits:
Both from Teresa Sue-
$13 and $11
Which minus the Paypal fees equals $22.70

I will be issuing Treasury Reports in the Henhouse every Saturday Night, or will notify you if I have to miss one. I won't be doing one each time there is a deposit since that could become quite confusing. However, if anyone ever has a question, just email me through the forum and I can take a screen shot of the paypal account.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  6:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
oops...I didn't make the canvas size big enough in my graphic editor. Let me know if you want a better screen shot!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  6:44:31 PM  Show Profile
geez - everybody is super talkative again, I just checked in at 4ish, went to our Rosalia chapter meeting (chapter of 2), had dinner, and here it is two pages later.
Karen, I bet Annabelle(basset hound extraordinaire) is pining for a friend named Jack, either that or she is just a freak dog, Jack sounds like a cutie pie, although probably hyper? with that combination of heritage.
We thought we would get a slow, fat dog with a basset, not so much....Annabelle climbs fences, chews through chicken wire, and worms her way through horse fencing just to get out of the backyard, then goes and sits outside the school while they are taking their standardized tests and howls like a water buffalo in labor. I'm a little concerned about our prospective chickens too, more because I think she will just bark them to death. Anyhow, enough about my albatross dog,
Alee - thanks for doing the paypal explanation. And Alee is actually the treasurer, not me.
I am supposed to be keeping track of who has/wants what but I think it probably makes more sense if everyone posts their own list. It wouldn't really save any time to have me do it although I really do want to help out with something.....Maybe I could compile the growing/planting experience info, or still help coordinate spring buying, although that is probably complicated too since we will probably all want to buy stuff at different times. If anybody has something they want me to do please tell me
Good morning Corinne
Glad you're feeling better Dawn
What the heck is Fly Lady?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  6:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
www.flylady.com is a great site that has a great system to keep house and your life in order in an easy and not overwhelming fashion. Like I said before she is a bit sappy, but I like her anyway and really it works!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  7:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Good morning Mavens. How is everybody tonight ? Fell asleep on the sofa last night.
So good to see you back and okay again Dawn.
Karen one day to go before the trip, make sure to rest some today and to pack lots of water.
Annika got your email, will answer latter, it is only 5 am here.
Amy Grace, have to answer yours.
Theresa Sue, got your address and I am in zone 4.
Tina, I like so much Small Town Living, you do a fantastic job here and I feel so sorry for your trees. Because the weather is cool, they may keep their sap and keep going with their life past the winter.
Hey Lilian, glad to meet you.
Alee, am going to Paypal the Mavens for the badges.
Am I forgetting some one here ?
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  7:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Okayzee...I found a bunch of seed companies owed or supplied by Monsanto and posted it over in the hen house and here as well

Audubon Workshop
Breck's Bulbs
Burpee
Cook's Garden
Earl May Seed
Flower of the Month Club
Gardens Alive
HPS
Johnny's Seeds
Jungs
Lindenberg Seeds
McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers
Mountain Valley Seed
Nichol’s
Osborne
Park Bulbs
Park Seed
Park's Countryside Garden
R.H. Shumway
Roots and Rhizomes
Rupp
Seeds for the World
Seymour's Selected Seeds
Snow
Spring Hill Nurseries
Stokes
T&T Seeds
The Vermont Bean Seed Company
Tomato Growers Supply
Totally Tomato
Vermont Bean Seed Co.
Wayside Gardens
Willhite Seed Co.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Edited by - Annika on Oct 09 2008 7:21:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  7:23:58 PM  Show Profile
At least I hope that this is accurate and I'm not defaming anyone

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  7:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, so happy to hear you have walnuts.

Tina, glad you found the "X" tip! Do you have a fire to roast them over? That just sounds so Christmas-y! Let us know how they turn out.

Everyone else, this really is it for tonight. One more day before we hit the road. Will post as I can tomorrow just to keep up with what's happenin'. This is quite the happenin' group!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  8:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Holy cow that is a lot of stuff that Monsanto owns!! Thanks Annika
Going to bed soon, just made apple crisp, finished knitting a slipper for christmas
Talk to y'all soon,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  06:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens! So much time, so little to do - WAIT! Reverse it! So little time, so much to do........ (Any Willie Wonka fans out there?) Will be flying in and out today, catching as catch can. Know I'm thinking of ya and will check in fer shure tonight.

Mornin', Ralph........'Night, Corinne...........

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  06:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Morning Karen, morning Mavens.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  07:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens, Good evening Corinne,
Corinne thanks for the zone info. Where are you and DH retiring to? What zone will it be?
Karen you and DH have a safe trip. I'll be thinking of y'all and sending prayers. Send my best to your DH.
Annika, like usual you are awesome. Thank you for compiling that MFC list. Queen Dawn will you put that in the bulletin board so it doesn't trickle down the posts and get lost?
What makes me just sick as I have supported several of those companies in the past. I even posted that one of the pkts of heirloom seed I have is from Burpee, frankly, I don't trust Monsanto enough to believe the seed is heirloom, coming from them. I believe I will destroy it.
I'll also post the update on the chapter badge over in the henhouse a bit later.
So, who's up and at em? Come on Mavens, I've already had about four cups of tea and I'm wired,lol I'll go get another as I made a pot and have it being kept warm on this great teapost trivet/warmer thing I bought at the tea shoppe in San Diego.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  07:36:28 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, we are going to retire in Canada, zone 4.
Have a great day, Karen, please be careful while on the road and enjoy.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  07:53:47 AM  Show Profile
http://www.seminis.com/
http://www.organicconsumers.org/Monsanto/seminis20205.cfm
Seminis is owned by Monsanto, and a lot of seed companies use Seminis as their supplier. So I am trying to research and post when I can, who owns or is supplied by who.
http://gardendjinn.typepad.com/garden/2007/01/monsanto_now_ow.html
As far as I can tell Burpee is privately owned but BUYS seed from Seminis/Monsanto. To be honest I don't know how much of their seed is supplied by Seminis....more reading is required. I can try and email them, but I don't know how honest they would be with me, no insult intended, but they have money to lose by telling people don't they?

Hello everyone! Happy weekend to you all =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile
I was just reading about Monsanto in AVM. I was not familiar with them before and am appalled at what they have done to seeds. It is really scary and unbelievable what they have done to our food. I don't think I want to buy anything from the grocery store anymore. I need to start making more things myself. It is just a little more difficult to get in the routine of making instead of buying.
Dawn~I am glad to hear you are feeling better.
Corrine~When do you get to retire?
Karen~Praying for you and DH.
Annika~Thank you for this awesome list.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly