deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Thats too bad about the trees... I too make hubby leave "dead stuff" around for the critters....
Yes I am feeling LOADS better. I went for a short walk in the woods and came in, napped and now I am FAMISHED! If it aint nailed down, it's going in my mouth!
Karen is doing her food deliveries today I'm sure... she does Meals on Wheels I think.... I could be wrong but its very close to something like that. I think she also still cleans for 1 or 2 people on Thursdays too... Plus she's getting ready for her vacation to Colorado! She can correct me if I'm wrong...
Speaking of being back in the woods. Who knows about black walnuts? What do they look like?(and dont tell me 'black' for heavens sake!) I came across a PILE of things that looked green like a monkey ball without the wrinkles and some were black, like they were charred. When I smooshed one open it had a gooey black subtance inside it and a nut... is it a black walnut? If so, I need to get a bucket and a shovel and get back in the woods! I also cut some wild sage for a wreath and found some rosehips. I took a pic of a plant that's bearing berries... I have 3 of them (huge sons of guns) in the yard and I dont know what they are.... I will post in on my blog...
Speaking of blogs, Tina yours is very nice... Great place to visit! Pkay, I'm a little tired after my excursion. I need to eat (again) and then nap... then eat....then nap....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:51:13 AM  Show Profile
Lillian you might try signing out and then back in again, sometimes that fixes it

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Edited by - Annika on Oct 09 2008 12:09:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Dawn that sounds like a black walnut to me. When we lived in Ariz we went and picked pistachio nuts and they had a green rubbery hull that you had to peel off first to get to the nut. They smelled like bananas to me.
The black stuff must be what they use for dyestuff. I'm into natural dyes for wool and black walnut is considered one of the best for longevity. I'd wear gloves if I were you!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Lillian I have trouble getting into the henhouse sometimes too.
Dawn you must be feeling better if you are hungry, so want do Pepe le Pues eat, bugs?lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile
I posted my seeds in the henhouse under projects. I tried logging out and then in again and it didn't work for some reason I'm not "allowed" in the bulliten board area.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Skunks like chicken eggs...raw Pepe Le Pew would agree with me
heehee
Teresa Sue, somewhere you mentioned belonging to the Wool Gatherers and I think my land lady Janice belongs to that group too....small world. I should get brave enough to try the drop spindle that I have, but my yarn keep breaking and I get discouraged....anyway this is really off topic. I just thought it was cool.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good afternoon, mavens –

Here I am! Dawn, you did great remembering my Thursday schedule. However, I took today off from food deliveries (similar to Meals on Wheels but I deliver for our local food pantry so they get a week’s worth of food stuffs from me). I haven’t cleaned for Diane for the last three weeks due to rib/car/sleep deprivation issues so hopefully her family is able to kick back into gear to help her. I popped in for a look this morning but didn’t have time to type. Too afraid of getting sucked into the HMV and too much to do to get ready for the trip. Had to do grocery shopping for the trip as we’ll be holed up in the hotel for a few days after the surgery. The doctor wants Robbie to stick around just to make sure there are no complications.

No sickies, Annika, everything’s fine in that department. Still can’t shake the overall sleepiness though. Didn’t have that til Robbie’s asthma attack night. I’m really having trouble catching up on my sleep. DH called this morning when he got to work. I propped the phone between the pillow and my ear and fell asleep. I woke up a couple of hours later, called and asked if I fell asleep while we were talking and he started laughing. He said I made no sense and he finally just said “You call me back when you’re awake.” I don’t know how he could tell the difference between this conversation and others as I don’t make sense a lot of the time but it must’ve been a doozy of a conversation to make him laugh that hard!

Alee, thanks for peeking your head out of the MTV to say “Hi” – and I love you too.

Dawn, I was thinking this morning you are going to be so “amazed” at your posts when you feel better. They were funny as all get out, hon, especially as we all knew you didn’t feel well. Glad you’re on the downside – stay on that couch and a get some good rest today. And yes, it sounds like you’ve found black walnuts, you lucky maven. As they age after falling from the tree they will turn black. Carla Emery says, “Don’t dawdle around and delay harvesting them until the husks turn black – bad for your walnuts.) We spent last Sunday working with the ones we found. We put our boots on and stomped on them to get the hulls off. I’ve read that you can also put them in the driveway and run over them with the car and it will crush the hulls but the nuts will stay in tact. The shells are really really hard. (And TS is right –wear rubber gloves as you will end up with lovely walnut-stained fingers, clothes, etc. if you don’t.) Then rinse the walnuts and spread them out to dry for the next few weeks. “A cement floor of a sheltered building where you can spread them out and stir them around once in a while will be perfect. A cool, darkish, well-ventilated attic would work very well, too. It’s important to dry them not too quickly and not too much.” – Carla Emery Ours are laying on my seed-saving screens at the moment. Let me know if you decide to gather yours. I LOVE black walnuts.

Tina, I am so sorry for what the power company did to those trees. Pine trees are absolutely beautiful and so majestic, to have them sheared like that is flat out molestation. I’m with Annika – let the power know what happened. Maybe it will stop someone else from having to go through the pain you’re experiencing now. Better yet, take Brenda with you and let ‘em have it. If I wasn’t heading in the totally opposite direction in two days I’d be comin’ after ‘em too!

Lillian, I think Dawn is the only one allowed in the Bulletin Board area. I tried to post there once too so I just boogied over to the Projects folder to post. And nice to see ya!

Okay, I’m off again. This time it’s to take Gus to camp – DJ’s Pet Camp & Cat Chalet. He loves it there and they treat him really well at least I know he’s well taken care of while we’re gone. Of course I get a bad case of separation anxiety after I drop him off. I’m a mess!

And y'all did two pages while since I checked in this morning. Good job, mavens!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:18:33 PM  Show Profile
Karen- you are going to have fun with Jack-he will keep you very busy. I have 2 Jack Russels.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:23:33 PM  Show Profile
I had a Jack Russell, "Pippa" , for many many years, she was a delight and a mischief maker all of her days. She is missed. I like the dogs they have a lot of heart and spirit.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:38:23 PM  Show Profile
thanks gals...I'm just hoping that the trees will be able to self heal and that they didn't kill them.there's really no telling at the moment how bad the damage is.it will take time to tell.either the trees will produce enough sap/and internal healers to heal itself..or it won't..time will tell.I'm no tree expert but my gracious they really sheared them.
but I honestly hope there is no damage.
----------
other than that..speaking of a Mr.Pee U...we had a pet skunk briefly when I was a kid..ha.
So maybe one day I'll tell the story about Mr. Pee U soon. LOL
-----------
Dawn I'm so glad you are feeling better.
----------
So glad everyone is doing better.
--------
oh..speaking of nut trees and gathering nuts..my neighbor has a chestnut tree that she never does anything with..in fact she hates the thing, but her husband planted it and he is deceased now so she keeps the tree..for now at least..as she has hacked down everything else the man planted on their property.. anyhow the tree is still around..for now..I'm sure she'll let me gather anything from the tree..only thing is..does anyone here know how to roast them or what not??as I have never gathered them before and don't know what to use them in/for.
-----------
hope you all are having a great day.
and for those that have stopped by my blog..thanks..I'm glad you like it.feel free to add me to your blog list and shoot me an email and I'll add yours.
---------
have a great day.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Is Jack going to camp too?

lillian, you can post in all other areas but Karen is right, the bulletin board is for me... What I'm sposed to do with it heaven knows....!

So should I go back and get the green ones? Or should I get eh black ones that are in pretty good shape?

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Tina... as soon as I figure out most of my blog i will add yours...
Yeppers... I'd say I'm about 85% now...and still hungry!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Pepe le Pew's like fine dining! I'm having a fried bologna and cheese!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Lordy girl, you will be given up that bologna after you read AVM, hehehehe
Just wanted to let y'all know, we Mavens have money. I sent my paypal thingie and my Mavens bracelet is paid for. We are $11.00 rich.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Annika it probably is the same group. I haven't been very often because of the driving thing but I'm really going to try and make the effort to make the meetings because it is such a talented and diverse group. I learned to spin on a wheel, but I want to learn on a spindle because if I like it, it would be so much cheaper than buying a wheel. Maybe we could learn together? Three quarters of the world spins on a drop spindle so I thought I should give it a shot. It would be much more portable that's for sure.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay Mavens I'm on a roll. I just bought five bumper stickers, sent the money to the paypal acct. We are now, drumroll please,24 dollars rich.
Dawn will you send me my five bumperstickers please. Thank You.
Where are y'all anyway?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:17:49 PM  Show Profile
if any of you subscribe to Country Living there are 2 small references in the current issue about heirlooms..a small reference about heritage turkeys and a small one about heirloom squash seed saving and SSE.
-----------

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I have slept and I'm back!!
Tina - I am so sorry to hear about your trees, maybe they will come back. They are remarkably resilient sometimes - we had a pear tree blow down in our back yard 2 or 3 years ago and this year some of the suckers off the stump bore pears!!
Dawn, sounds like you are feeling better, I'm glad.
Good to year from you Alee,
Annika and Ruth - my wish list far exceeds my available space every year too, I am going to try to be more realistic. The first year I had a really good garden I planted about 5 times as much lettuce as I needed. I really need to devote more space to tomatoes, if I can get my husband motivated, get the materials and the seeds all at the same time.
Teresa Sue, what is your elevation? Have you grown tomatoes? I have had a heck of a time with tomatoes over here - they set and bear fruit but never get ripe. I'm not sure if it is just too cold at night or if I watered too much. Oh, and I thought of you when you posted your list of jobs - the bakery/deli drama is a sight to behold, just amazing some days.
Okay, I gotta go, my dog is having some sort of sadness issue, even when we are home she is curling up under my vanity and howling desolately (basset hound) - not sure what the problem is. Just general despair probably.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Tina – Here's a little chestnut info for you from Carla Emery’s Encyclopedia of Country Living - "Harvesting: On the tree, the chestnuts grow inside of burrs. When ready in the fall, the burrs split and spill out the nuts inside onto the ground. You must pick them up before they have a chance to get moldy, wormy, or eaten by squirrels or 4-leeged furries. Storing: If you put chestnuts in water, bad ones will float. When you refrigerate them, give them air by packing them in loosely covered containers or in plastic bags that have holes in them. Unshelled chestnuts will stay fresh for several months if refrigerated, and for much longer in the freezer. Cooking: …chestnuts are an unusual nut because they are mostly starch with only a little fat, so you can do vegetable kinds of things with them. Prepare like a vegetable main dish; grind into a flour; prepare in a soup or sauce; add them to pasta, pastry, or desserts; and, of course, roast them over an open fire. Shelling by Roasting: Roast in an oven 15-20 minutes at 375-degrees. Then peel. I hope this helps. There’s also information on shelling by boiling and on freezing them and some recipes. Let me know if you’re interested in any of that. And thanks for the heads up about Country Living mag. I do subscribe but I don’t think it’s come yet. Some of my subscriptions show up as much as two weeks later here than on the newsstands.

Dawn, definitely get the green ones. If the black ones aren’t super mushy, get those too. We had black ones in with the ones we gathered. Most were still okay; we only threw away three or four. And nope, no camp for Jack. He’s going to be an outside dog and since we have a high-schooler coming every day to check on the cats, she can check on Jack too. He’s getting a bath when we get back. He stinks! Oh my, he stinks – and so does his breath. Good thing he’s so cute………….

Checking back out……….have small group meeting tonight…………..if I don’t get back on this evening, have pleasant dreams, mavens………’night, Ralph……………mornin’, Corinne…………..love you all.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Tina Michelle: I am in receipt of bumper stickers. They are even more awesome in person!

Teresa Sue: I have your five right here... They will go in tomorrows mail.

Amy Grace: If you have time, could you send TS a receipt for the money she put in the account?

Its not that i dont trust anyone, I want to be on the up and up with EVERYTHING here. So whomever places monies in the account should get a receipt from the treasurer as to what was prurchased and for how much... fari enough?

Oops. Hubby home... I hear the tractor gott run!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Alert Mavens!!! Badge information over in the hen house. Check it out!!
Amy Grace I know our elevation at our Idaho place is around 3000, it's lower here just outside of Tekoa. I have had ripe tomatoes here, but not this year. It didn't get warm enough, soon enough this year. Now if I had had them in a hoop they probably would have done fine. One year I had so many tomatoes and the pheasants found them and they loved them that I hardly got a tomatoe, those darn birds liked them so much they start nesting in my tomatoe patch. It was hilarious and annoying,lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace and Dawn I don't need a reciept as I have one from the paypal site. Paper is my enemy, don't send me anymore, pleassssssssse. "You can not organize clutter."-from Flylady

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace, maybe your bassett heard about Jack and is pining for him. He is a cutie. I'd have a crush on him too if I was a dog. Heck, I've got a crush on him and I'm not a dog!!!

TS, yep, I've heard about Fly Lady and was getting her e-mails for quite awhile. I really need to get back on the hook (fly-fishing analogy) and whip out the old control journal when I get back. This week would have been a lot easier if I hadn't slipped off the hook awhile back.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Ya, she really has helped me. She's kinda mushy, but if you can get past that, man her system works.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  4:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I'm really signing off now. So long, farewell, aufwiedersehn (sp?), goodbye............

TS, I see your Wizard of Oz song and raise you one Sound of Music song (my brain is frying and I can't think of an equivalent word for song - boring, I know).

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 09 2008 4:13:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page