deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:01:58 AM  Show Profile
okay now that we've all gotten our MPW (Maven Panties in a Wad), lets pull out those wedgies and get busy!!

YOU THERE! YOU JUST STANDING THERE LOOKING AT THE COMPUTER OR ARE YOU GONNA DO SOMETHING???? I DIDNT HIRE YOU TO JUST LOOK PRETTY...GET TO WORK!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile
hey, I just thought of something.... does anyone know where I can find Looney Tune DVD's? I think I need to have a cartoon-a-palooza!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane

Edited by - deeredawn on Oct 01 2008 08:27:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:19:36 AM  Show Profile
We all need them loony tunes about now

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
TS, I saw your e-mail and after you return from your trip is fine (re: blurb). I moved your e-mail along with a couple others into my MJ folder but yours flew off to some unknown zone.

Have fun and enjoy the time with your daughter and family!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 01 2008 08:21:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
TM – your essay was wonderful! It would be a great addition to your bio because it so expresses your heart.

Corrine – again, you rock, girl! Take care of the homefront but don’t be a stranger. I look forward to your posts every day.

TS – “silver-tongued” maybe; “devil” I hope not!

Brenda – thanks for the info about the heirlooms! The “Star of David” is now on my list for next year. When I was little I loved okra so much that my mom made it for breakfast, put it in my thermos for lunch, fixed it for supper and I’d eat it raw if I could get it before she got it in the freezer. I’ve mellowed since then but we have it in our garden this year – and it’s as wonderful as ever! And no, you didn’t goof again (‘cause you didn’t goof in the first place). We’re just a bunch of splatters and you get what you get when you’re in this henhouse!

Rene – you so picked the right Mother Hen!

Ruth – thanks for the newsletter input! If you’re up to it, I’d like you to be my sounding board and let me run my first and final drafts by you. I think your insight would be a big help to me – if you’re up to it. I’m not exactly sure what I’m getting myself into here but I’m willing to give it try. And thanks for doing the Garden Gate and Farm Kitchen posts. It takes a village…………

Signing off til this afternoon -

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sometimes that is caused by someone editing a post and sometimes it is because your computer is set up to not check for new versions of the page except every so often, and sometimes that is because you left the forum open at it doesn't automatically reload.

quote:
Originally posted by LivingWell4You

Good morning, mavens!

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the person listed as the last poster to this thread on the forums page is not the last poster when you get here? For instance, it shows Homespun Livin as the last one to post here but Corrine's post is right above mine as I type this. I've noticed this on other threads too where the last person to post isn't the last person on the thread - and they aren't the one before the last or before that or before that.

On to maven-ish items, I may be shedding computer-generated tears of frustration again my henhouse post submitted without my permission (i.e. I got as far as "Corrine," and off it flew to the henhouse). At least it did actually post so I could go back and edit it. Therefore I'm not sure how much posting I'll do but anything I think will be painful to lose I'll just type in Word and then paste it here. Twenty minutes I spent on that post last night to have it blown to feathers.

Submitting now and moving over to Word. Yes, that's a warning.

Good morning, Dawn.

God bless -

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Brenda you are doing fine! I think in this group there really aren't any lines to step over. Several people are working on the same type of projects and then we are combining lists and such. Over all the main core of the group is to swap seeds and educate so have no fear!

I am having to take a step back because I have a lot of responsibilities right now and with the winter months coming on I need to focus on school first and everything else later! LOL

*hugs*

quote:
Originally posted by Homespun Livin

Hmmmm....did I goof again?? Please do not think that I want to be in charge of anything because I wouldn't have a clue. Just wanted to post some helpful info to add to y'alls list of goodies. :) I am extremely contented to grow what I can in my zone, homeschool my kids and keep up with my house (which is a job in itself).

Dawn, please forgive me if I stepped over the line or anything. I think that since you were nominated and rightly so, that you should remain the leader and lead us at whatever pace is in the best interest of this group and that won't overwhelm you or us. :)

"Love one another."

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
HERE HERE!!! I agree! All of us Maven are bright shining lights out in the darkness of GMO! We all need to own up to our lights and shine!

quote:
Originally posted by Corinnelouise

Annika, please never put yourself down. You are one of the force up here and harboring this kind of feeling doen't do justice to the bright soul you are. Same for Rene and all the ones sharing these moments. Hope we can make you have less and less of these.
Love to ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay ladies-

Here is my two cents worth:

I find this long topic very fun and invigorating but can be confusing. I think the Henhouse is the overall organizational tool that we are all needing. This is a prime example exactly why MaryJane created the Henhouses for us in the first place. So perhaps, and not saying a newsletter isn't a great idea because it is!- instead of trying to organize everything in a newsletter, we should focus on having (descriptive) topics in the henhouse so when people want a book list, they know it will be in the henhouse, when people want a seed list, they know it will be in the Henhouse. I also think the topic author should then be "in charge" of that topic and it will then be their "duty" to comb through the posts occasionally and pull all the links, seed names etc into a master list in the first post of said topic. That way people won't have to read 100+ posts just to find what the name of that heirloom purple tomato was.

So I think the newsletter is a great idea as something fun and maybe a way to help point us to which Henhouse topics have been updated recently and who to contact when they have information but aren't sisters? Oh an perhaps it could have an article by a volunteered sister or something?

Also, while the members who aren't yet Sisters can't post in the henhouses, they can still read them. Then they could post questions or comments here saying something like "In reference to the Henhouse "Endangered Seeds Topic" ....(their post to follow).

That way this topic doesn't get too overwhelming and stays focused on heirloom maven stuff?

Oh an also perhaps we can list in our bios in the Henhouse which topic we are the Topic Mom for?

Also I want to commend everyone for their hard work! Dawn I think you are awesome! Annika you are an amazing researcher! If you ever decide to return to school, your major should be Research!! Rene- you are our kind motivator and our pipeline into everything MJ! Karen- You are an idea dynamo! We are so lucky to have you!

Now these are just my opinions- feel free to disagree, change, manipulate or disregard as needed!

Then it could fall to Dawn to make sure the topic moms are handling the responsibility okay and if not she could help find a new topic mom who could start a new topic and cut and paste the old topic (so the new topic mom would have edit powers).

So that is just what has been peculating in my mind. I know a lot of us are really busy with home and school and work and such so in my opinion, condensing the amount of posting would be helpful at least to me. I already find myself skimming so I am not sure how much more reading I will be able to do. Oh and I won't be taking 16 credits anymore! This is NUTS!!! (And not organic or heirloom either!!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  09:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Karen....and every village has their idiot...har har!

Alee: again your are on point with the henhouse. When a newsletter was mentioned I was very concerned about how thin some of us could be stretched.

Rene: evey Mama Hen needs a Mama Hen. Glad your my "Mama".....

Okay, I still have 1 more crate of apples and 1 full crate of pears. AND a half a crate of tomato's to put up for salsa.... I re-wy have to pull....myself....away......

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  11:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

So I think the newsletter is a great idea as something fun and maybe a way to help point us to which Henhouse topics have been updated recently and who to contact when they have information but aren't sisters? Oh an perhaps it could have an article by a volunteered sister or something?

Alee, you are right on target with what I was envisioning for the newsletter. Something brief (althought the first one will be longer as it covers a month and brings everyone up to speed) with a brief intro of who we are, how to take part, etc. Then a brief one- or two-liner about hot topics during the week with a link to that page (or starting page). Every time I write about this I think I'm getting that across but apparently not. Maybe newsletter isn't the right word. I'm sure there's an equivalent in the business world but their acronyms aren't as much fun.

My main goal is to put something out there for people who can only check in every few days. It would keep them up to speed on what's going on and serve as a reminder to the rest of us to keep us on track.

But whatever. Right now I'm spent. Unless I'm told not to do a newsletter I'm going to plan on putting one out next Friday. In the meantime I'm going totally offline for the next couple of days. I'll have my hands full just going through all the posts this far.

Knock yourselves out, mavens.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Oct 01 2008 11:08:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Take care Karen, we'll miss you and your wonderful posts. Can't wait to hear about your adventures at Baker Creek =) Hope your car is ready by then and you get to go. Honestly, if you need help with the newsletter, pop me an email or message. I'll try to help

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh Karen.... I wanna go toooo! Is that whiney enough?

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  12:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Karen~I would love to be your sounding board for the newsletter. Email me with whatever you need. I'm not on in the evenings much because my husband uses it to do his schoolwork. I do check in every morning and afternoon.

Alee~Those are some great ideas.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  1:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Mmmmmmm...so much to digest since I left y'all this morning.
---First, I can't believe we are almost a month old. Unbelievable.
---Dawn if I contributed to your angst, I am very sorry. I think you are a great Maven Queen, please continue on.
---I will be back from San Diego Mon afternoon.
---While I'm in SD I'm going to see how our badge shrinks down to the size we need it to be. If it doesn't work I'll go back to the drawing board, but my goal is to have the badge done by the end of Nov.
---I also need to know if y'all want to start the HMBC in Oct or the first of Nov.
---The two weeks following my trip I will get the HMBC set up
---Also I will get our Badge agenda going
---Rene, how are you coming with our curriculm as I know we need to coordinate the badges with it. Also see above when I'll be back. I'll email you next Tues okay.
---Something to think about. Many of us are feeling overwhelmed, perhaps we should take our time getting this all set up and wait until the first of the year to begin the HMBC and any other project.PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS AND POST YOUR REPLIES. Do not mean to "yell", I just don't know how to highlight it any other way,LOL We can do what the majority decides, fair enough?
---I just want everyone to keep in mind that we all have our strengths and weakness but we can all have our places of honor within our Heirloom Mavens. Some of us have more experience is some things and some of us have experiences elsewhere. So far I have not seen that ugly headed jealousy snake rise up amongst us, only the free give and take of women on a mission of something dear to them. But I think being frank without being vicious is a good thing and being honest with each other is a good thing. If we just always remember to be kind, give praise where it is due and look out for one another we will be fine.
---I too have felt inexperienced and non-contributing at times, but then one of you says something positive to me and it makes me jerk my head up and realize I'm a part of it too. We need to be generous with each other. Thank you for being generous to me. I am so honored to be among you.
Love y'all,

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  1:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, you have a great time with your daughter. Don't work too hard , just have lots of fun. We'll all miss you. So glad you are my maven/mudhen sister =)

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  2:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Annika, I'm getting rather fond of you too. : )
I forgot to tell y'all when I get back I'll go out to my garden and sort out what I have left. I planted all heirloom tomatoes and peppers, but we got an unexpected frost in the summer here and it got some of my babies. I'll make a list of what seed I will have to share from what did make it tho. I had a great pea crop and froze a lot of those. My zuchinni was just so so this year, but I heard a lot of people say they had problems with it this year. That, frankly, is just scary when a zucchini doesn't produce! My onions were so so also, I haven't dug up the potatoes yet. I also bought a new rhubarb plant this year, one that is supposed to stay red when you cook it, I don't know if it is an heirloom so I have to do some research on it. Like I said I'll post what I have and share with y'all.
I have to go pack my suitcase, we have to get up at 4am, leave at 5am so I can be at the Spokane airport by 6am to leave by 7am.
I'll catch up with y'all next week, Love y'all,

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile
hey..thanks for the list of who carries what type of seed..great job.
---------------
glad everything has gotten sorted out here. and we are still plugging along/getting along.
------------
have spent most of the day outdoors watching the hummingbirds... it was a family of hummingbirds! the parents had about 3 babies and were taking the babies to the tree to feed. The babies of course are about the same size now as the parents so they all move fast, only thing is the babies stop to rest more frequently than the parents do. it was so much fun to just sit out there today and watch them buzzing about.
There was also some other type of a bird..just a tad bit larger than the hummers that feeds on the nectar too..a mystery bird but looks a little like a goldfinch. I'll have to try to figure out what it is.
Anyhow..so I sat on the ground for several hours just basking in the sun and enjoying nature.
Hubby and I have decided that at the new home we shall have a hedge of bottle brush trees to attract the hummers as we enjoyed watching them so much today.
---------------
hope everyone is having a good week thus far.
safe travels to those that are traveling and visiting with family and so forth.
------------------
hugs,
Tina

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  2:29:41 PM  Show Profile
This is really a harsh reality. It is something that we need to deal with immediately. I really want to get active in an organization that helps these problems. I planted a garden this year and it didn't really turn out the way I wanted it. I think it was just too much too soon with little experience. I think this next time I will dedicate myself to planting only a few different key items and definitely save the seeds and keep reusing them and pass them along.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  2:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Chelsy, good to see you here. If you have a chance read the entire thread cause you will be amazed at the energy here.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  2:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chelsey, My garden didn't do so hot either =(
There is a lot to learn about heirlooms and helping keep biodiversity alive when so many species are becoming endangered and extinct. Join us in the Hen House of the Mavens if you like and we can all learn together and earn a few merit badges besides. Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver? We are going to read it together and discuss these problems in depth. You are welcome either way.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  3:36:58 PM  Show Profile
http://www.lime.com/food/story/1472/seed_co-op_wont_play_monsanto_monopoly
More on Fedco, I thought that this was worth reading. I like them better all the time

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile
HI Chelsey!
Glad to meetcha! Feel free to look around and ask anyone any questions...the girls in this henhouse are very knowledgable and smart to boot!

Tina: Sounds like you had a lovely day.... I did not have a lovely day.... one of my dogs attcked the oldest one and I am spending most of my day nursing her back to health. She is extrememly shaken up. I love the hummingbirds. I too think I shall do something 'sweet' for them this upcoming spring.... Tina, I have not found a way to mail you the rhubarb jam.... I cant find dry ice in this gall-dern town! Any suggestions? Am doing your maltese tonight. Seeds not dog...

Annika! Hey there! How are ya kid?

Teresa; Have a grand time in SD....be safe. Sent your braccelet out yesterday... sorry you wont get it before you leave!!

Brenda: Sent your "spa" package out yesterday as well. Lemme know whatcha think.

We really deserve an award for all this amazing-ness. We are the most amazing-ness group ever! the bestest! If I run across an amazing award I'll give it to us.... Ok. I'm tired, I'll stop being a dork!!

Okay, its 6:40 my time and I need to work on seed packets.

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  4:24:38 PM  Show Profile
hey Dawn..don't you worry about the rhubarb jam..simply enjoy some for me. I'll try to look for some around here somewhere.
appreciate the thought very much, but no need to go out of your way /stress to send it to me.I appreciate the thought though very much.
I hope the dog does better.
yes it was a very nice relaxing day.
I collected the flower heads from the garlic chives..now to read up on it to see if I did it right. Also collected some other seed from a small yellow flowering bush(native) I have here only thing is..I forget the name of the plant..gotta look that up too.
then collected seeds from another plant..I have to look it up too its either scarlet salvia or pineapple sage can't remember the name off hand.
Anyhow..hope you all have a good evening.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  5:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Sniff -Sniff let me wipe away the tears here. Wow that was a lot of emotion to wade thru.

To everyone: You are in the position you are in because you are supposed to be there. Everyone is doing a stellar job and should be proud of themselves. I have learned so much in the last month, my head is still spinning. I have been sharing with everyone who will listen. If anyone needs any help with any part of this, please ask me. Like most people I don't have a lot of spare time, but what I do have I will use to work with anyone.

Okay ladies, let's tie those aprons on, push up those sleeves and get the "house" in order

Not trying to offend - but if I have oops! That's just me!!

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page