Page: of 217

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife

Okay. Right off I want to say that I think we are becoming fast friends. There are going to be times I am going to want to tell y'all stuff that doesn't have anything to do with seeds, I know it's hard to EVEN imagine! Today I'm going to do that here, but if anyone has any suggestions as to another place to post these tidbits, please tell me and I will(I know, I know, the whole Contrary thing)comply.
----I suggest we give the title of Honorary Heirloom Maven_HHM_ to our members who aren't in the sisterhood,but who want to share and learn with us. The ones that are really interested will find a way to eventually(on their own or with help from our special fund)find a way to join the Sisterhood or they will contribute so much we'll make them stay,LOL

TS! How are ya, mavenfriend? I know just what you mean about us all becoming fast friends. There are times I've thought we need to get together for lunch and then realize that we're spread out all over the country. It's amazing how having a common interest (that's an understatement for how we all feel) can bond people who've never met face to face.
HHM - perfect name! I will add it to the Lingo List when I'm done posting here.
Amy Grace, ain't it an overwhelmin' thang? I started copying and pasting all of the posts into a Word docuement so that I could do a quick search to find something. It took awhile to set up and I figured the posts would slow down eventually. But the posts are still flying fast and furious and it looks like "eventually" isn't happening for quite awhile so I need to go back to the old notebook-by-the-computer method. My problem is I get so excited about something, I start posting and/or researching about it and forget to write anything down. Then I'm back to "now where did I read that?" I know I read somewhere the six companies that own 98% of all seed sold today. Thank goodness Lora could put her flying fingers on that info.
Ruth, you're in the HMBC, girl! I'll make it officially when I trot over to the henhouse.
Everyone, the car is at the shop and ready to be worked on. We needed to get it in for a service job anyway before our trip and I'd rather have it break down here than in the middle of Kansas anyway. No offense to Kansas; I just don't personally know any mechanics there. We had a lot of work done on it this summer so hopefully this won't be a major event. Of course, you'll hear about it here if it is!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 29 2008 3:34:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  3:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Ok you Mavens sure make a girl work when she misses a couple days!! Soon as Im done here I will run over to the henhouse and see all thats there!!

Karen: Thank you for the sweet email. Losing Grama was inevitable yet unexpected. We really didnt think shed make it to Christmas. Your essay was beautiful. Made me think of Grama!! I like the standard letter and I will need a few copies!!

Dawn: Memorial Weekend is fine with me..I told DH last night I was going (as I was readings aaaallll of this thread catching up) Maybe we could all do a friendship garden? I think it would be neat if we all had eachothers fav flower growing in our yard! I will send you my address as well. Somewhere in there you requested everyones!!

Ms Lilly: We plan on being off the grid too! DH finally started putting the farm plans on paper!! I even dug up this gorgeous flowering plant (dont have a clue what it is) took it home and intend on replanting it after the house is done. I didnt want my father in law killing it with the combine. Dh says its a sign. Who knows how long that flower has survivied there?

Tina: Awesome bumper sticker!! Must have some. I was asked this last week about MJF sticker and loved sharing what its all about.

Teresa Sue: I live between Kendallville and Ligonier right off US 6. Most trucker maps have at least those two places on them if not Wawaka!!

Amy Grace: Happy Belated Birthday!!

Ok! now off to the henhouse!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, my maven girl, you are THE reason I keep checking in here. I was so glad to see your post when I got up from my nap. Didn't have time to post then as we needed to leave for Gus's vet appt (he's a mighty fine dog according to the vet, except for being fussy when it comes to checking out his ears and mouth, but then so am I, especially the mouth, i.e. dental adventures). As for "intruding," I can understand how it might feel that way to some just joining us at this point. There's such a close bond that develops between the mavens that we find ourselves sharing all aspects of our lives. And it isn't because we've been together forever - this thread isn't even three weeks old. We all seem to come from the same place in our hearts and that's why we didn't want to lose you. You are dear to us too. Anyways, so glad you're back.

And your son is on target about the bees. I can remember my dad commenting about the honeybees becoming extinct - and that was 10 years ago. They are finally starting to come back in our area but they're a little different variety. (This last sentence courtesy of my DH.)

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  3:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Once I get away from all of the chemical sprays and fertilizers, I'd like to have some mellow little honey bees too. And bumble bees! I haven't seen one in forever =(

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  4:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Annika, MTR (Mouse That Roared), AMR (Angry Mouse Roaring), whatever moniker you use, you do us proud, girl, proud, I mean, proud, proud, proud! Don't stop reading! Keep that fire burning. It inspires me and I'm sure it inspire all the mavens. That's the whole point of this group. I believe it isn't that most people don't care, it's that most people don't KNOW. I didn't. For a long time I trusted that if it was on the shelf, it had undergone stringent checks and balances and they wouldn't knowingly allow anything potentially harmful to be available for purchase. But purchase is the operative word and what the buyer wants, the buyer gets. If the buyer wants pretty red uniformly-shaped apples, the buyer will get them (but we won't tell them how because they might not buy them). Why choose "misshapen" dull apples? They're "ugly" - until the buyer is educated and then the pretty ones aren't so pretty anymore and the dull ones become beautiful. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

And this isn't common only to our day. Watch any show about the 1800's and you'll see the same thing. What is that saying - "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it?"

We're learning and growing and becoming more ready to take on the world every day. And from the sounds of things - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - I'm thinking you'll be leading the charge!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  4:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I have to tell you Mavens all this that is going on about the banks is really rattling me. I've always felt something big like this was going to happen in my lifetime and I think that is why I've always been into doing for yourself and homesteading. It strenghens my resolve to grow heirloom. It might behoove us to get our list completed and start buying seed and swapping it. Our country/our financial future is uncertain. Yikees.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Annika I have the Bumbles at the cemetery all the time, so they are out there.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  4:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife

ROFL Me, edit the posts,ROFL, Okay, I am a computer duh,ta-duh. LOL. If you can teach me how, I will try, NO,I WILL DO IT!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Sure Teresa Sue! If you go and look at any post you have ever written, including topics, will see above the text a row of icons. One of the icons looks like a piece of paper with a pencil. Click on that and it allows you to edit your posts!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

I'm just trying to figure out how to do this
By jove I believe I've got it, chappies

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  4:44:28 PM  Show Profile
YAY! I was afraid the bumbles were becoming extinct. I love the silly things.
And I'm a tad worried about our financial future too. I'm going to try to buy a big seed order this autumn too

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Well, I've done all the damage I can for one day. Heading to bed now. Good night, mavens, sweet dreams.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile
YAWN!
I'd post but I'm too darn tired from trying to catch up on the last 4 pages since Sunday!! Annika: you said you girls were going to keep this to a managable ramble...that happened?

Hi Brenda! :o)

Hi girls!
Didja miss me huh? hehehe....
I have sooooooo many irons in the fire right now. I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with ya'll. Thank goodness for my personal chick herder!
I too, wish we all lived a little closer to meet for lunch or a wknd trip. We certainly do have a connection!
I agree with getting a list together on seeds. Things are getting REALLY scary (economic wise). We should post it in a thread (here?) or somewhere else, and include others in our ordering process?
I just wanted to say that everyone has something to give here...you are giving the gift of knowledge to others regarding REAL FOOD. You are going to plant heirloom seeds, even if its a small garden, you've made the committment to do that! That in itself is incredible!
Okay, like TS: time to share....
This wknd marked the grand opeing of Harvest Thyme Farm & Market (HTFM). I made exactly $1. No, I didnt forget any zeros.
But I did get my shed/market painted. Its pretty daggone cute! Barn red with White trim....
I also had to trim my chickens wings this wknd, because they are all flying over the fence. It's quite a site to see me try and catch chickens and throw them back over....
My rescued cat... Myrt is a Myrtle. That was pretty big news....
And lastly, I cannot take "this" thing, with my body anymore. I am going to have to have a spinal tap or something. I know I'm not nuts (no more than normal). I just sick and tired of being sick and tired. Today i worked 8 hours a the hatchery and I feel like I worked 30 hours straight. Speaking of the hatchery, its a good time to get chicks as they are mostly on sale. I didnt know this, but we also carry heirloom varieties. How fun!
Okey doke. Now my new pledge. Usually, when I'm at home, I get up, grab some coffee and hit the computer where I stay put until around 3pm. Thats about 8 hours worth. Girls, I got stuff to do! I mean, Karen (livingwell4u) and Robbie are gonna be here in a little over a month and I cant have her restin her purty head in a room filled with dust bunnies now, can I? So my new "rule" for myself is that I'm going to get online AFTER all my chores are done. Just lettin ya'll know so you dont worry.....KAREN.
Karen is like my big sister. She yells at me when i dont return phone calls and demands alternate numbers to reach me! hehehe... chick herder fits...
Okay, something else on my mind. I really need some chocolate. I have none. I reeeeeaaaaaalllllyyyyy need some chocolate. OH! I have hot cocoa! Yippee! C-ya!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Actually you all are like the family I never had.... you have to be. No one else would make fun of me the way you do! I cant help it I'm like a fart in a fryin pan!! I just am!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn- Annika and I are working on a "most endangered" list. Who is working on the "What everyone already has and ready to swap" list?

Lets start all our new topics in the Hen House. I think the less places we need to look, the easier it will be to find.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Fart though you may be, we love you for it Dawn. Heehee.
You need to take care of you and your life, we'll all be here clucking away just as long as you manage to pop on and say hi sometimes.
Take care of your health! I'm sure that Karen is already yelling at you to do so, but really, you are a friend and sister, I am worried about you darnit!
Go for that chocolate girl! Now I want some chocolate

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  6:04:10 PM  Show Profile
when is MJ bringing back her chocolate? I've heard its to die for!

I think AmyGrace was/is working on that list. We shall double check. I am putting together "Maven Packets" for us and any newbies that fall in line here. I will be gettingthem out right aroudn the time we start the book...

Annika: You love me for it (fart) until it happens....

New Lists in Henhouse. Got it.

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  6:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I too need to start earning my keep around the house and not be on the computer so much. I'm going to work on balance between the real world I live in that I have to do chores in and our chapter, which is very important to me. We'll figure it out Mavens, just hang in there.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  8:28:18 PM  Show Profile
ok I don't know how to get into the hen house..I have signed in here on the "log-in" like I normally do..do you have to register separately for the hen houses?

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  9:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Dear ladies, Karen, Dawn, Annika, Alee, Theresa Sue, Tina, Ruth, Brenda,and all the other ladies in this group, you are taking amazing actions to save the seeds. I will post the list of the vegetable I've ordered and am willing to share each variety. Please post on the forum which one you are interrested in and email me your address, I will prepare packets to send away and mail.
Good night to ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Sep 29 2008 10:21:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  9:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tina- Email or call Sunny. It should be the same information as the main forum (user name and password) but she might not know you are supposed to be a Maven yet.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  10:00:13 PM  Show Profile
thanks Alee

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  04:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Tina, I've noticed if there isn't this little space to type a reply, you are logged in. I've had trouble sometimes and for some reason if I go to the henhouse different ways, sometimes it doesn't recognize me and I have to go back to the original home and start over. That probably doesn't make any sense, sorry, haven't had my tea yet. I know I tried putting the hen house on my faves, but I couldn't get in that way, I have to start at MJs home forum page.
---Corinne I would love some of your seed. Thank you for being so generous. I will trade you some of my seed as soon as I get it. If I don't have any that you want, I will gladly pay you.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  05:05:49 AM  Show Profile
Theresa, you are very welcome to have some of the seeds.
Still working on the list because I want to include all what they say about them.
Alos, we should list our growing zone, so when we send, swap, buy, we know if they are going to grow in our area.
In Canada we are in zone 4.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Sep 30 2008 05:23:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  07:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Corrine, you did an amazing job with your list of seeds over in the henhouse. I have no seeds as yet but hope to pick some up at Bakers Creek this weekend (if everything works out and the car doesn't break down and I don't break down and hubby doesn't break down - he lives with me so that happens occassionally). Like Teresa Sue, I'll pay you back with seeds when I get 'em or $$ - whichever you'd like.

I'm so glad you're here!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  07:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Okay - a little late here but yes it is me that is supposed to be keeping track of who has what and who wants what. I haven't heard from anyone yet though so I don't have any material to work with:D
Do we still want to do it that way or have everyone post their own?
I would love to do that (keep track of wh has what) - I don't feel like I'm contributing much right now but I want to!!
RE - rants - okay here comes mine. Annika - I share your anger at the corporations. The corporate/business culture has always favored money over integrity - seems to me anyway - but in the last few years it has certainly changed for the worse. At the same time as science has made discoveries about what is bad for us, those are willfully disregarded. More and more it seems to be profit at any price, as a result our national mood has become extremely cynical. I look at people younger than me and I wonder why they are so cynical - I remember living through the Cold War and the wall coming down - there is hope, things do/can change. But!! Something fundamental has to change in the way that corporations are allowed to do business. There has to be a human element. I don't know, I get very discouraged sometimes but I keep trying to make changes on a personal level and hope I can lead by example. Wow - not just a rant, y'all got a ramble:)
Anyhow I first got into organic foods because a. they tasted better and b. I instinctively distrust large corporations - now, some 20 years later all the corporations are about a billion times larger, there is no human factor there, so I trust them even less. Unfortunately many of the organic companies are now owned by, you guessed it, large corporations. So....it's Seed Savers for me, and make your own:D Guess I wasn't done ranting, uhoh, might be one of those days better look out Mavens. Amy Grace is nothing if not opinionated
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Sep 30 2008 07:34:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  07:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Instead of a BB&B we may end up with a Rant, Ramble & Riot! The more I aggrevated I get at the Monsanto-strocities the more I realize how important it is to walk the talk. People need a positive alternative. They need to see it's working for someone. I'm feeling really out in left field where I live as no one talks the same language here. But I'm planting seeds and the next time someone mentions GE foods or endocrine-disruptors or large-scale farmers requiring their lettuce workers to be dressed head-to-foot in coveralls, headgear and breathing masks included, it will start to carry a little more weight. It's all about getting the word out there and being able to back it up with personal experience.

And you don't have to have years of personal experience. If you read an article that gets you fightin' mad, that's experience enough to start teaching others. That's where it started for me. I read about how white bread is processed and havent' eaten a piece since. One thing leads to another and "suddenly" Washington and big business won't know what 'em. "Who were those trowel-waving, apron-wearing, seed-scattering, 'Down with GMOs'-shouting women??? What just happened?" The press will be all over it and the world will never be the same.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page