Page: of 217

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  7:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Tina,
I am the assistant director for our local farmers market as well as we have done some "taste tests" this year, and tried to show more variety then the average shopper may know about and it has been very successful.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I just was going through "Annika's Amazing List of Links" and clicked on www.centerforfoodsafety.org The first article is 20 Leading Food Companies and Retailers Reject Ingredients from Cloned Animals in Their Products. I expected known organic companies to be listed but I was surprised to find Kraft Foods, General Mills and Campbell Soups and other conventional food companies in the list. It's important to write to companies and legislative officials stating our views about GE foods but how about also writing letters of support to companies that are taking positive steps to keep the food chain untainted.

So often I get caught up in the dark side that I forget to see the flickers of light and hope. We could have a standard letter that we would send as a group and then anyone that wanted to could send another on their own. Our Bible study group at church did this once with a legislative issue and I was amazed at the number of congressmen/women that responded. It's human nature to speak up (loudly) about the things that are wrong but take the good things for granted. (My parents heard plenty of gripes from me and not nearly enough "thank you's.")

Whaddaya think? And yes, since this is my idea, I will go ahead and draft a letter but I'll need input from all of you or I'll drive myself crazy trying to get it just right.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 26 2008 7:59:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  7:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Oh, here's another one!

Washington, D.C. (September 2, 2008) - In a decision handed down today, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has upheld a nationwide ban on the planting of genetically-engineered (GE) Roundup Ready alfalfa pending a full Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The Court determined that the planting of genetically modified alfalfa can result in potentially irreversible harm to organic and conventional varieties of crops, damage to the environment, and economic harm to farmers.

A ray of hope! Another letter!

God bless -

P.S. I just read this to Robbie, got goosebumps reading it and a high-five from my sweetie!

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 26 2008 7:46:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  7:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Annika, another book for your list (if it isn't already on there). Got it from the Center for Food Safety site.

Your Right to Know: Genetic Engineering and the Secret Changes in Your Food provides a comprehensive and up-to-the-minute guide on the very real dangers genetically engineered foods present to our health, the environment, and farm communities. Written by Andrew Kimbrell with a foreword by Nell Newman, this book provides you with all the necessary tools to understand this critical food issue, to choose to avoid GE foods and to become an active participant in the fight for an organic, environmentally sustainable and socially just food future.

Edit: After reading further on the page:
The special hard cover edition of the book comes with a DVD of the award-winning documentary film The Future of Food, and both editions of the book also contain a pull-out "Pocket Shopper's Guide to GE Foods" that lists what products to buy in order to avoid GE ingredients.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 26 2008 7:55:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  7:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue, you will love this! I clicked on the "become a member" link at the Center for Food Safety site and thought of you immediately. In the spirit of your militant maven, the banner title "The True Food Network" had next to it a raised fist with a fork in it. I don't want that person feeding me - it was a little more than scary!

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 26 2008 7:53:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Here's one we all need to do. At www.thecampaign.org the last Q&A has a link to click to get form letters to send to your congressional representative and senators. "The letters request that they support legislation to label genetically engineered foods." There is also the ability to e-mail them but they say a ltter carries more weight. I say do both!

Anyways, we each need to do this. And they also have blank form letters that can be printed off and handed out at farmers markets, etc. Dawn, this would be great for you to have at your market!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Karen. I have a lot of health problems, I need to have control of my food and need to know what I am actually getting. That looks like an important book to have on my list (and my shelf!) Thank you for finding it! I am sure I've made many boo-boos and missed quite a lot

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Annika, I thought I knew a lot about organic and being healthy (not that I practiced it nearly enough, especially the healthy part) but there is a whole world of information and help out there that I had not idea existed. Thanks to your links I'm discovering them. We need to keep in mind - and I am talking more to myself than any other maven - that we can't be concerned with achieving perfection. We just need to do something every day - read a book, write a letter, tell a friend - gotta start here as it's late and my mind is starting to go militant.

Anyway, we're all in this together and look how far we've come!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I'm just having a field day here. On the www.thecampaign.org website they have a "Take Action Packet." You can download it as a pdf. It's also available in packets of 50 for $25. I downloaded it and saved it in my Mavens folder to read later. I started printing it out but a lot of it is in color and I'm low on ink and too lazy/tired to change it so I quit. It does look it has a lot of good information, at least enough to really grease the mental wheels.

FYI: You need to click on the "Label Genetically Engineered Foods" button and scroll down.

Later: Mavens, we have hit pay dirt here! I'm sure there are other sites just as good but I'm going crazy, folks, going crazy with this site!

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 26 2008 8:36:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
In the "Crack Me Up!" department, "The Campaign" website has a Find an Activist button! And ya know what - I found one 27 miles from me!!! I'm not radical enough yet to contact him but he's there ready to be activated in the future.

God bless -

P.S. Oh my gosh it just keeps getting better! After clicking on the "Label Genetically Engineered Foods" button and scrolling further down they have Activist Action Steps! And here's the really really scary part - they are things I could actually DO! Okay, maybe not all of them but I could start with a couple.

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 26 2008 8:34:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
One more.....

Say NO to GMOs! www.saynotogmos.org has, as Annika says, "lots of information" and she isn't kidding. It's also very well organized. Good thing as it's closing in on 11pm here and my mind and eyes are starting to blur. This is addicting!

Good morning, Corrine! I'm turning the posting over to you now. I know it's in good hands.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  9:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
One more quick blurb from the Say NO to GMOs site:

But first, great news! Monsanto just sold off their bovine growth hormone (rBGH/rBST) business to Ely Lilly’s animal division, Elanco. Monsanto dumped this genetically engineered drug because snowballing consumer rejection of dairy products from cows treated with rBGH has already driven it out of Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Kroger, and 40 of the top 100 dairies.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  10:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Sue, enjoy your trip to the quilt show, I am sure you will have a lot of fun.
Rene, your article in the last issue of MJ was fron the heart and do hope to read more from you.
Ladies, each of you is a little gem and each of you make this place a better place and this world a beter world. I feel so honored and at the same time so humbled to be part of this group.
Love,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  11:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Just found this...
http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/seedsaving.html#section11
A large selection of info.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  05:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Tina, its MY farm market. I will think on it, and see what I can do.. this year was/is not good as we lost 90% of our crops (pumpkins/gourds/corn). I like the idea.

IDEA #2
Since you all mean so much to me, I want to plant a "friendship garden". Each of you will tell me what you love (flower or herb wise) and I will plant it in my garden. Neat dontcha think?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  05:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good grief y'all, I thought I'd just read and not post while I ate my breakfast before I head off to Montana, I'll have 20 pages to read when I get home! LOL
---
I am seeing some great ideas coming from y'all, wow, it just astounds me. I am subscribed to serveral topic on the forum, do you realize this thread outposts all of them combined about 4-1?
---
I want to do the friendship garden when I get moved to Idaho, why don't everyone trade their fav flower/herb that way you actually have the flower from the person. Most people have their fav planted in their garden already. Just a thought. I will send you in the spring a start of an OLD lilac that I love, I also love iris. and ........hollyhocks you know, all those sweet old timey flowers, lily of the valley, violets, oh I could go on and on,hehehe
geeze, I'm going to miss y'all, talk about withdrawel. Well unless I'm going to spend the next two days in Montana in my robe with no bra I better get off of here.
PS when I get back I'll start our badge thread, where should I put it, under projects?
Love y'all,
--

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  06:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You are coming to Montana? Where??

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  06:24:29 AM  Show Profile
As soon as I get the shed painted, I am going to check out those sites. Girls, I swear I am going to take a more active role in this. Karen, yes to the drafts (letter). I would like to have that. I also would like all the stats about GMO's that I can get my hands on to put in a flyer: somthing like: WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU. TOP 25 REASONS TO BAN GMO FOODS!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  06:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, boo coo (I obviously don't know how to spell that word) stats are on the sites I was browsing last night. We don't have a statistics person right now and since I don't have any how-to's to post about at the moment, I'd be willing to take that one on unless someone that doesn't have a duty yet feels the call. I'll start working on it and if someone wants to take it over, take it! I'll post them on the thread so that it will be easy for them to start a post in the henhouse to edit.

If no one screams for this duty by next Sunday, Oct 5(?), I'll take ownership after that.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  06:56:18 AM  Show Profile
KAren, you are my co-pilot. Please keep me on track!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  07:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
My 2-cents worth: Just a reminder that althought we're throwing out a lot of great ideas (ex. comparison tasting at farmers markets, etc.), we don't need to implement all of them immediately (DAWN - you have enough on your plate). Didn't someone (probably me) suggest an idea bank? Did you post something like that in the henhouse, Dawn?

How's 'bout a new duty? (Don't you all groan at once) Project coordinator. As we throw ideas out, they can keep track of them like Annika's keeping track of resources. That way we have one place to go instead of 52-pages-and-counting to read through. I'm someone that needs everything laid out so I can see all the possibilities and go from there. When it stays in my head it all bumps around and hurts.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  07:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, I thought that's what I was...Project Coordinator/Mother Maven/Chief Wahoo/Big Mama. I will work on that today...since I am slow here at work. I started it once.....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  07:05:14 AM  Show Profile
I am awful at statistics =(
Karen you have a wonderful mind, you have my vote.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile
What's on my plate? Whatever it was, i must've ate it.

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  07:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Going to the farmers market. As much as I just loved going before and wanted to support local/organic, AVM is really making me passionater (not a typo) about it.

Will check in when I get back.

Dawn, even though I don't do electronics, etc. on Sunday, I'm planning to spend some time on the computer organizing past posts to get projects/ideas/thoughts/etc. into some sort of Karen-order so my brain doesn't hurt so much. I KNOW it will take more than one day even if I worked on it full time but whatever I have I will share on Monday.

And I don't remember seeing your plate but I'm sure if I did, I ate it before you got there. You know how I am with snacks and snakes and biting and all.

God bless -
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page