Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  3:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I want to get an atlas and pinpoint where all my dear Mavens live, just curious to see how spread out we are.
Another idea, when y'all come out for the BBB if you want we can go up to our Idaho property for the night(or what ever the requirement is)and earn our outback badge.....just a thought, I'll research more. Gotta go order some books, yea!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  3:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue, have you checked out the farmgirl map Alee set up? I'm out there - don't know about anyone else but if we all put a pin in the map, it will be just what you're looking for.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  3:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I have, I can't remeber if I had trouble with it, I check out so many sites from the forum.
Well Mavens I've just ordered five books:
Montrose: Life in a Garden by Nancy Goodwin
The Earth Moved by Amy Stewart
Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
Gardening with Heirloom Seeds by Lyn Coulter
All of these books are required reading for five different badges.
You know, I really needed another reason to buy books,lol
I have a feeling that there are a lot of book hoarders amongst the Mavens, Ha!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, besides I want to know exactly where you all are, not just an approx area ;0)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh y'all are funny, love catching up when I get home. Yes indeed Teresa Sue, I am a book hoarder for sure, they are taking over my house.
Annika, I hope your ankle is feeling better, I was trying to imagine myself replacing a hot water heater with my husband if I was feeling 100% and that alone would be a challenge, let alone injured - you are a strong woman.
Karen - that was a beautifully written tribute to your father, what a wonderful gift to live on the land that your family worked, and use the tools that they did. That is one of the things that draws me to heirlooms as well, it is the connection with our past, our real people, living history.
Wanted to say welcome to the new mavens, strength in numbers!!
Dawn - you are a scorpio? when is your birthday? For that matter when are all of your birthdays??
I am indeed the one that is keeping track of who has what seed, who wants what seed, and I also will keep track of people's results with said seeds if y'all want.
So far I haven't heard from anybody except to know that Dawn wants elderberries, which I have in my backyard. E-mail away ladies!!
Oh and Teresa Sue, where in Idaho is your property?
Talk to you soon,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Sep 23 2008 4:08:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:34:29 PM  Show Profile
I won't be able to go to the BBB, but deeredawn, if you are still having your shindig hubby says he'll drive me over there. He then said he'll need to find something to do because he doesn't want to listen to a bunch of hens clucking all day. He can do that at home with our feathered kind.

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Ok - one more thing - where's the list - I missed it somehow. Just tell me what page to look on and I will find it!!

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I'm an aquarius, January 30th, 1955.
Amy Grace our property is about 18 miles sw of St. Maries, Idaho, about an hour north of Moscow. We have 20 beautiful acres, a little seasonal stream, our well is also in and we have a small fortune in the road. We have also cleared an area for an orchard and garden and house/shop. Our property line is 3/4 mile from the county road. Avista wants a small fortune to hook us up to the elec, so we can have the "privilege" of paying them every month. So, we will go solar and whatever it takes, but I refuse to be wrung out by the elec co. Next spring/summer we are going to try and get our septic and a shop in. Then the real work begins ;0)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile
I really dont have much to say. I'm just here for the comic relief! Geez Karen, you'v ebeen on a roll lately! I got my Seed Savers Catalog today and have been highlighting my "list". Today has been very busy for me. Our contractor has 1/4 of the house sided already and the roof is done. I cant believe how fast they work...it looks like a brand new house... I'm pretty pleased so far. I put up 40 cups of apples today... and I let my maters go too long, so those have been saved for seed. this weekend we are painting the shed... I am worn out already and havent even had my grand opening yet.... I'm also in the process of reading Basic Country Skills by Storey
Re-Reading Hobby Farm by Carol Ekarius
And I finally got MJ's newest book and am halfway through that.
I'd be reading outside but somehow the hum of circular saws and hammers doesnt put me in the mood so I turned the radio to a good odies station and did apples.
We need t-shirts with a groovy 70's dizzy spiral with a seed in the center that says "Beware the HMV"
TS (Teresa Sue not Tractor Supply) I'd love to get my "out back badge". How long do you want me to stay??? I have already marked off those dates on next years calender!
So much for nothing to say.... Amy Grace, I am emailing you directly!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
As long as you want dearie ;0)
Does anyone know when we will get our henhouse?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Lora, does he like tractor stuff? Obviously you do by your screen name!! We have plenty of RED friends!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:57:52 PM  Show Profile
just got in from doing several hours of tree trimming and weed pulling.
have a huge rosemary bush that was threatening to take over..ha and then a huge drake elm tree that we started from a sapling about 5 yrs ago that needs an occasional drastic pruning..sheew..so much to do in my backyard now since it was too hot during the summer to do much.
now that Autumn is here I can get things whipped back into shape...
anyhow...I was out there today and really enjoying it.
---------
my stevia plants went to flower and we trimmed off the flower heads...I'll check them and see if I actually have any seeds from it.(hope so..hope they didn't just drop seed where I can't find it now)the rest of the plants kind of bit the dust after they went to flower,did trim a wee bit of green growth off.. will try to root to start another plant from it.
my garlic chives..I let them go to flower and will be collecting the little bulbils to start more plants from.
-----------
I'm in the middle of some seed swapping over on my blog..I am hostessing a seed swap there..and hopefully will wind up with a few heirloom varieties of seed from that.
...the saving has begun.
----------
And I know that many of these varieties will stay viable for at least 5 yrs if kept dry and cool.
---------
So...I will hopefully be planting a huge garden next year..by Spring if the house selling plans come through as I'm hoping.
(meaning a quick sell..so ya'll cross your fingers and toes with me please that things go quickly once we get the sign up in Jan.)
cause I am so itching to get back into the dirt again and to get planting and planning.I'm getting the major major major itch to be planning and planting and plotting.
----------
I was thinking today too about our pollinators..bats(oh how exciting and fun to point them out to the children as they flew overhead darting hither and yon for their food), butterflies and bees..and thinking about the wildflower varieties and different flowers that are heirloom that can be planted right alongside veggies and fruit.
In fact planting native flowers is almost necessary to a healthy garden area too..kind of a natural balance...the native pollinators and bees and butterflies help pollinate the veggies and fruit and we in turn provide them a nectar source for food as well as a source for them to have host plants to raise their young. So..for myself..I don't want to just concentrate on merely fruit and vegetable seeds..but on the overall balance...fruits, vegetables and native flowers and grasses too.
kind of the "whole shebang" :0)
------------
As I was trimming and cleaning today I am starting to see some of the things we did in this yard that I will do differently/and some of the things that I will retain... and use again at another place.
I think a first home that you own is really a big learning step..you learn what works and what doesn't..and after 9 yrs of gardening/landscaping and maintenance I have learned quite a bit along the way.Hopefully all things that will help me to be a much better grower/planner.
-------------
One thing that I have learned and will incorporate again..is this..an herb bed directly by the back door is a "must have" for me now....complete with all sorts of useful herbs..it is so much easier to use the herbs and think about them when they are right near the back door of the house...and they also get sheltered a bit from being beaten about by the winds.
------------------
I've found that the rosemary here thrives so much better if it is planted up closer to a house as it seems to thrive from the heat generated off of the brick housing and gets a bit of shelter from the winds too.
---------------
I've also been thinking a bunch about hydroponic gardening with natural versus chemical ingredients in the water...thinking that one could use such things as fish emulsion, and chicken slurry(a chicken sludge is you will.. derived from aging chicken poop in a water mixture for about a year)... and other such ingredients in a format to pipe through onto the plants for nourishment.(mixed with plenty of water so it pipes through easily)I've been trying to think about other ingredients that are natural that could be piped through..kept in a large 5 gallon drum with a water mixture to be piped through a drip irrigation type thing for the plants...any ideas are welcome.As the plants actually are in a coconut fiber and would need to have nourishment to the root system.
Why am I interested in hydroponics???...well because I can grow things vertically in a lot less space if I wind up not having as much land space as I'd like.
And the process actually really fascinates me.
------------
anyhow... enough of my ramblings.these are some of the things rattling around in my head lately..ha.
---

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile
I do not know. Sunny must be so busy, because a month or so ago, I emailed her with a request and it was done that day....I did get an email from her regarding the henhouse and she did mention she was "plowin through". I'll be glad, but then, I'll be sad too... this thread has been so much fun! I hope we still post on it! I keep looking at henhouses and it seems like there is never anyhome home there!!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Karen: duh. I forgot to answer you about my compost. You're silly. JerrBear and I built it. Actually it was pretty easy. We stuck 4 t-posts in the ground and wrapped it with net fencing. A couple of strategicially place bungee cords and the door stays shut. So far I've made a layer of old flower cutting and a layer of apples and another layer of food stuffs. Its looking pretty gross so I must be doing something right. I will take a pitchfork and rifle through it next week. Am patiently awaiting rain so that I can herd worms! But none this week please, house....must....get....done.....!!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yea, I kinda noticed that also. Well, I think we are all pretty determined farmgirls and this chapter seems to be pretty close to everyones heart so I think we will be okay. I know I am pretty close to being obsessed with this thread, honestly the HMV is a very acurate decription of it. We might have to work at it a bit a first to keep everyone connected, but I am willing if y'all are. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to balance this with the rest of my life, lol.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Dawn...since we work at the hatchery..mayhaps you could ask for some chicken stuff to add a bit of heat to your compost pile.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:10:28 PM  Show Profile
gee whiz..I meant "you" since "you" work at the hatchery..see what happens when the vortex starts sucking you in..LOL you starting thinking faster than you can type. LOL

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
We can still keep this thread going, we'll just use the henhouse to organize all our thoughts, talk about herding worms, ha!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I got the poop. I am the poop queen. SPeaking of.. check this out..
www.ilovechickenpoop.com

I'm gonna start selling it at my farm market!! What a riot! And read...no GMO!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Tina that your house sells quickly. I agree, herbs need to be by the back door so you can use them for cooking. I would like a kitchen herb garden, a dyers herb garden, and a medicinal herb garden, I know some of them would overlap. I like flowers and such mixed in with my garden too, it does just seem to be more balanced. I know there are herbs that are in danger of extinction because of harvesting and other (logging) practices. We should include them all.
Well, goodnight Mavens, been a long day.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:29:05 PM  Show Profile
yeah Dawn..I've seen that site..but for me..the thought of using a lip balm called chicken poop just doesn't have an appeal to me.
I prefer chicken poop to umm fertilize my yard..not my face.
thanks..LOL

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile
I was just thinking flowers. I have a lot of flower seed.
Maltese Cross
Daisy
Cosmo
Coneflower
Sunflower (various)

I also have a seed mix. I have them all packaged up in cardstock envelopes that I made. they are pretty cute. If you want one, send me your address! Its all natural wildflower!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh tina...! it doesnt have poop in it.... you know that! Its really good for you. I love the stuff. But it suits my stupied humor!!! I bet Karen and Teresa Sue will like it! Okay, off to bed for me... its 9:45 and I'm bushed. G'night girls.... you west coasters will have to keep it up from here!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  7:04:53 PM  Show Profile
LOL oh I know that silly girl! I just can't get past the name..I just umm don't wanna have to say to someone when they ask me..hey what kind of lip balm is that..and I say "oh it's chicken poop" LOL yeah..right..not..LOL yeah..the humor is kind of strange on that one..LOL but me..umm nope..not what I think I'd wanna tell folks as some of em think I'm weird anyhow..that would over the top clinch it LOL
I think I'm sold on Burts Bees stuff have been using it for a few yrs now and like it.
-------------
oh gal..you know me by now..I cannot say no to seeds! LOL
you've got some types I have never grown before..gonna go look them up now.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  7:14:09 PM  Show Profile
I've not ever grown the maltese cross or the coneflowers here...and if it is different than gloriosa or african daisy then I haven't grown the daisy either.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page