Page: of 217

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey ladies,
I listened to Michael Pollan on Oprah ( via tivo, last night)... He has a new book out called "food rules", I am hoping that some of the Maven's will want to for a book club with me. Head on over to the henhouse and leave me a message... Thanks

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Turning left to hen house.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Not in your Henhouse but I will read it.

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  6:31:20 PM  Show Profile
I just posted in the henhouse - please read and let me know what you think
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile
I can't afford it until after the first, but then I'll go look for it and read with you gals too!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  9:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Bernadine.. Awesome... of course...you are MORE than welcome to join in.

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:12:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by corabela

When I found out that there are only a tiny percentage of APPLE TREES left...I cried. A century ago there were so many beautiful species. Most of them are gone forever now. Hardly anyone noticed.

I'm so glad this is being brought to our attention now...this subject NEEDS the attention. I can't wait to plant my endangered heirloom seeds come spring! When I finally find my homestead (it's out there waiting for me somewhere), my husband and I plan on keeping a few chickens from that endangered list as well. The Buckeye, The Dominique.

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com

Corabela, when we moved into this house which we are just renting 14 months ago, our neighbor and landlord told us about the empty field he has out back of both of our houses. Now, we live on an apple farm, it's always been huge(about 1,000 acres) and 2 years ago he planted a variety of apple that was going extinct- I'm sorry I can't remember what kind, but I can find out. Anyway, after the apple ripened he discovered that he couldn't sell them! To the big fruit and juice producers anyways. There was no market for "old-fashioned" apples anymore. So, he bulldozed the entire field, hundreds of trees. It just made me so sad.....he could have sold them locally, had a little stand whatever.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  4:22:41 PM  Show Profile
This may have been mentioned before. Looking at 300 plus pages of comments is a bit daunting. Honey bees are an endangered species and they are disappearing at an alarming rate. I have hundreds of flowering plants and very few bees.

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:35:21 PM  Show Profile
I know 300 pages of comments is a bit off-putting. It is scary what is happening to the honeybees too - if there aren't bees we don't eat. I am going to try to plant some honey-bee attracting flowers this year.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  8:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Mexican sunflowers are the bomb! I have some beautiful pictures of butterflies and bees sipping away. They grow tall (about 6') and are a vivid red orange. The flower looks like a daisy or zinnia. I don't know if it is in the sunflower family, but it truly a thing of beauty.

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  05:07:04 AM  Show Profile
It is definitely scary about the honey bees.... I can remember in our old house, we had a huge hive of them in our chestnut tree out front, it was a bit scary walking past it every day to get the mail, but before we could have a beekeeper come and get them one year, they were gone. I couldn't figure out what had happened to them, until my dad told me about the bees dying.
We live on an apple orchard here, so every spring, honeybee hives are trucked in to pollinate the trees. After they are taken away, there are always some bees that remain behind, they missed the train home! Good for us though, last summer we had quite a few around, we'll see about this year.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile
There is an organization called the Sunflower Bee project (I think) that last year sent out free sunflower seeds in exchange for people tracking the movements of the bees in their garden. I know a couple of bee-keepers, one who takes his bees down to California every year, and nobody really knows what it is that is killing them all. I think it's all connected; the way we are messing with the plants, the pollution, all of it
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:33:04 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't agree more Amy Grace, I am just sickened by the loss of species and variety that we are experiencing. The big Argo-corps are swiftly making a very big mistake. I am once again reminded that we are care takers on this earth and shouldn't abuse it like this. I am going to try and grow a bee-garden this year and encourage others to do the same. With native and bee-friendly plants that thrive in my area.

I am surrounded by wheat crops and by farmers that spray 5-year herbicides all over the place, so I feel like I like in a toxic environment anyway. Hopefully what ever the mono-croppers are spraying all the time will not get to the bees, but I'm worried about that too...Too much messing with mother nature.

I'm interested in keeping this thread going. I don't know much about the movement yet, but you can join Millions against Monsanto on face book and say your piece there too. I think that the more aware that we become of what is happening to our food and our world, the better armed we are with the knowledge to work to slow some of the damage.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:44:01 AM  Show Profile
The ignorance of some people astounds me. It's as if nobody reads the paper or watches the news anymore. I'll just stick my head in the ground and act as if nothing is happening to the world around me. I want to scream, "Wake up, people!!". Last summer a gentleman set up two bee hives on his property which is located right on the edge of town. The town folk were livid!! They attended the city council meeting in protest. People were convinced swarms of bees were going to attack their children. A woman allergic to bee stings was certain she would die from being stung by these bees. She lives on the opposite end of town, mind you. A friend of his in the country allowed him to put the hives at his place. The town folk won.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  2:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is just plain sad Toby. Gosh, what are people thinking these days?!?!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile
People dont think anymore. A lot of young people dont even understand about food and where it comes from. They just know it comes from the store. I told someone I had chickens once. They asked me if I ate the eggs. I said yes I do. She said if she had chickens she would not eat the eggs. She would still go to the store and buy eggs. I wonder if thats what alot of people think, especially the young people who dont know about farming. Its sad. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Why would you have chickens and not eat the eggs? Weird, and people who gross out because there is dirt or maybe a bug on their veggies - Hmm, a bug, that means there wasn't poison put on it, oh no!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:32:38 AM  Show Profile
GASP! no poison?????!!!! We can't eat that! AG you are a hoot! How can you have chickens and not want to eat the eggs? How weird! I wonder what she would do with them????

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile
I really think people dont know where food comes from. I was showing this girl at work a pasta machine in a catalog. I said I would like to get one. She said no I just want to buy it off the shelf. I dont think people think past a grocery shelf about food. Just my thought Vicki
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile
Part of it is lack of motivation (ok, just plain lazyness). Here is what I imagine.....
Pasta machine?? Get off the couch, mix up the dough (gotta find a recipe first), figure out the machine, and then make the pasta?? Whew! All that work for something that only cost a few dollars at the store. I could have been sitting on the couch by now....

I loved Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  5:39:48 PM  Show Profile
There is the lazy factor - I find myself doing it all the time, "oh, I'm too tired to make that" when it really only takes me a little longer. I just have to get myself in the habit of spending a little more time preparing meals. I was struck by the statistic in "In Defense of Food" about how the amount of time spent preparing/eating/cleaning up from meals has changed - we want everything instant. It really takes a paradigm shift for each of us, which is hard in today's society
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  08:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Boy I hear you... But, I am also finding that I enjoy the time in the kitchen now that it is more of a habit. I am loving the new conversation around "food" in the media these days, guess it goes to show that Michael Pollan, MJ and others are melting into the publics awareness.... The conversation with Farm to table, Farm to school, Food Revalution (new show on TV) etc.. It is exciting to see who is getting it right, who isnt and just that we as a nation are beginning an honest conversation.... Makes you wanna go plant a garden. LOL

We are hosting a seed exchange here in Prosser and it will be a lot of fun. I am especially thrilled with the fact that we are seeing more CSA's "crop" up as well as Farm to table dining oppertunties.

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:11:04 PM  Show Profile
It is so encouraging to see and hear people talking about food. When I started working with like-minded folks selling organics, lo these many years ago, there was so little available, and you always got "the look". It is fabulous to have so much attention to the sustainable agriculture conversation - sometimes I worry about the short attention span of the US media, like this is just the flavor of the day - we have to keep working to make sure people are still hearing about it!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  6:05:16 PM  Show Profile
I find it so encouraging to see people actually thinking about their food and choosing forward thinking paths.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  6:38:22 PM  Show Profile
aha!
This thread IS alive!!
I'm totally lost but I've been lovin making my own food. And I just got hired to cook for a city family. The mom has no time, no clue...no nothing. So she found me and hired me to cook REAL food for her and her family. She even stated it would be so much more beneficial to the children versus what she does! I dont want to even know!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page