Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  09:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
ditto here about the green tomytoes.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  11:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies, can you believe that Friday will mark the one year anniversary of the Heirloom Mavens? Any suggestions on what to do to celebrate? I'm just in awe of the time. Look at the bonds that have been created. Look at the knowledge and education that's been shared. Look at the lessons learned and the harvests.....harvested./ lol.... I'm amazed. We are over 40 members strong! So cool!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'm rough & tough and I don't wear bloomers~ Nellie Braken 1887
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  1:43:30 PM  Show Profile
We could all stand at noon and sing a song. No really what agreat place to be with some outstanding gals.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  6:43:31 PM  Show Profile
LOL Diana - that made me laugh hard!! What song do you think??
Yup - the first frost was last night, I had a feeling it was going to and sure enough - it didn't kill everything though, I think I have a couple days to harvest stuff
Makes me kinda sad though, I wasn't ready for summer to end!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  6:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
We've had two frosts and I pulled out all the green beans, some squash plants and some of the tomatoes frosted but am hoping we can still salvage some of them. Suppose to warm back up into the high 80's all next week. I have'nt even gotton any pears off my tree so really don't need any more frost. Amy I'm with you, I am not ready for summer to end.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  1:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
WOW... A year.. we have really made some great friendships, raised some great veggies and learned so much!

Rene'Groom
Sister #185
Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  4:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Hard to believe it's been a year. I have learned so much from all the great mavens here. I am so blessed to have become a part of this group. Now if life wasn't so busy.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  09:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I decided to post the original post in honor of our one year mark. I had no idea at the time, that this little post, born out of pure frustration, would lead to so much positive change. I appreciate that one little spark can fan a flame of change. Thank You so much for listening to my heart and joining with me in helping me to learn more about what I could do. The MAVENS have been the best teachers and partners in learning that I could have EVER dreamed of having.

FOOD~ Most of us know that we have animals that every year are placed on the Danger of Extinction lists, but did you know that there are lists of foods that are in danger of extinction as well? If you wonder why there is a new energy around heirloom seeds and foods, it is because we are losing so many great foods to genetically modified foods...MaryJane offers so many great learning opportunities about this in the Sisterhood with her book lists and more, so if you are looking for a reason to join the Sisterhood, this is just one GREAT one..And now with winter approaching, you will find a little more time to read as you prepare for next year's gardening... you can also check out www.slowfoodusa.org But I cannot help but wonder how different that list might look if each of us farmgirls found something on that list and committed to planting it, saving the seeds and passing them on... ha.. and earning a badge or two in the process.......really? endangered food? I don't think I want that on my watch!

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Congrats on one year Mavens! Hope I can contribute better next year as I did'nt have much luck with saving many seeds this year. Tomatoes never really ripened, most other veggies bolted early and I just put the co op garden to rest. Spent couple hours pulling out plants and weeding the area so that the garden is back to scratch. Will just be waiting on pumpkins to ripen soon. Hope to have a better one for next year as this one was fun to watch things grow and be able to harvest and share with so many people, but could use more help in the garden if we have one this size again. Maybe Mother Nature will be kind next summer to all of us. Happy Harvesting.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  1:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Its only been a year but I have learned so much with the rest of you! It is awesome to have this common goal with each of you!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  08:00:04 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, when you have time, if you could please take a moment to read the Bulletin Board in the henhouse. Thank you!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  12:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to see you step down Dawn.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Oct 15 2009 12:24:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  5:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Glad you will still be with the mavens Dawn. Sometimes we all can just get to much on our plate and we need to let go of some things. You have done a wonderful job and we love ya for it!

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  8:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to see you stepping down Dawn but am also glad you will still be with the Mavens. You have done great things and I know you will continue to inspire many of us even as a princess. :) hugs

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  09:56:05 AM  Show Profile
Likewise here Dawn - sometimes you need to regroup and take care of yourself, or explore other directions. I think that is what we were all looking for here anyway was the spark to change things/ourselves and to learn more about some things that were being lost. It sounds like with the other avenues you are exploring that you are truly embodying the maven spirit. You have lent a lot to this group with your energy and passion. Thank you!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  07:09:44 AM  Show Profile
When I found out that there are only a tiny percentage of APPLE TREES left...I cried. A century ago there were so many beautiful species. Most of them are gone forever now. Hardly anyone noticed.

I'm so glad this is being brought to our attention now...this subject NEEDS the attention. I can't wait to plant my endangered heirloom seeds come spring! When I finally find my homestead (it's out there waiting for me somewhere), my husband and I plan on keeping a few chickens from that endangered list as well. The Buckeye, The Dominique.

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  07:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laura- I agree- It's so sad that we have lost so many wonderful species of so many different plants and animals. It surprises me every day that people don't realize that our food sources are bottlenecking. Allergies are on the rise- I wonder what will happen when our society as a whole becomes allergic to certain food sources- say Corn for example or wheat!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
It is really sad.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  07:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
It is sad but if we all do just a little part to bring back species or maintain what we have then as a whole we are doing A LOT! That's the part that counts in this quest!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  2:27:19 PM  Show Profile
i agree marcy jo...I am on a quest to get some of our endangered heirloom flowers back in our area! can't wait for growing season!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  2:31:53 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to run across this topic. I am gonna research and see what will do well on my little acre. *Rubs hands together* It is sad and I as a mother and God's child have a responsibilty to do what I can.

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  2:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, I love your tag line. Wish the world (throw it away and get a new one) would adapt it as their moto. 8)

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  4:15:38 PM  Show Profile
I was shocked when I bnought carrots and they were at least 18 inches long.I know that I will have 2x the amount in my garden this year. That is not natural.

On a lighter note I got some Morning Glory seeds from someone on here and they were BEAUTIFUL I saved the seeds and have some to share.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  4:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kayce - I like your thought too!! My grandma always said the "use it up...." saying, she lived it too:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  07:20:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm jumping in very late to this forum, but if you haven't read anything by Michael Pollan, please do! He writes passionately and knowledgeably about food and farming and his books are easy to digest (no pun intended). Some suggestions are The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. He has a new book just published, but I'm not sure of the title.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page