kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  06:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever grown corn field beans? At the market the other day a little old man gave me a pod to dry for the seeds. They are a small bean and a climber. But look very good. He said they are a really old timey bean. So I am exited to get them. One pod has abot 7 seeds so that should be enough to get a start. I also have been getting bamboo poles for staking them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Michelle~
LOL love your description of a huckleberry vs a blue berry, think we should stitch it to a pillow.... How goes the summer???

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  12:11:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gspringman
I thought about picking huckleberries but don't they need lots of water to grow? Like the kind of rains you all get in WA?

The grow in North Idaho and Montana, too. Our favorite patches that get nice, big huckleberries are partially shaded. Otherwise the plants get sunburnt and the berries don't get to keep as much moisture.

As for the taste.... you know what blueberries taste like, right? Well, after snacking on a few huckleberries, blueberries taste like blue water - very bland. Very intense, tart... hubby's description is blueberries with a sour tang and five times more flavor.

Moving on to the garden... things are finally starting to happen. I even have two tomatoes turning yellow already! Yeehaw! I've still got 60lbs of apricots in the garage to deal with, and all kinds of other stuff going on.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  3:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Alee, the radishes grew really fast and I don't eat them, but my husband and some of the guys he works with said they are fabulous. So yes, I will be growing them again next year, but will put out a lot more of them. So far everything that has come up is really good tasting and I'm very happy with how the garden has done. I will be staying with only heirlooms and organics from now on. Thanks for asking.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  10:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I can't believe my garden this year. I have SO MUCH FOOD... I think that the neighbors slam their blinds when they see me coming with more produce LOL

I think it was Kelly that send out the Morning Glory Seeds.. the Papa Otts... My is growing so amazingly.. I love it.
.. Thanks Kelly! I love the comments I get from Hubby's farmger friends who see me growing dandelions and Morning Glory , I know that when they roll thier eyes at me I have accomplished making them speachless.. Sweet!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com
www.ruralfarmgirl.blogspot.com
www.farmgirlsfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  7:00:51 PM  Show Profile
I am so exited! I now have a start to some real heirloom peas and beans for next year. I got the one little cornfield bean pod last week. This week I got a handful of a purple hull pea that's been in a guys family over a hundred years now. It's a knukle pea. Really big peas, too. Then another guy gave me a silver field pea. So I should have enuf seeds to plant next year and get more seeds. This is fun. I can't wait to see what else I can get next week.

Those morning glories are so pretty. I have the wild ones all over my gardens. I have to pull them up as fast as I see them or else they will take over the place quick! I remember when my hubby and I first got married his mom had a big garden. There were the prettiest little vines with flowers all over. I said I sure would love to have some of those and his mom just laughed and said she's give me all I wanted! I now know why she laughed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  7:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Morning glory is my nemisis.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  9:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So I contacted Colorado State about these cool Mites that live off Bind weed and severly weaken the plant to the point where it is actually controlable! They don't have enough resources to get me some this year but they will contact me tomorrow.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  3:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Okay I have a question. On the heirloom radish, why is there two different looking seed pods on one plant and do I collect both for seeds? I have been picking the smaller round ones as they have dried, with only one seed inside, but opened one of the longer pods yesterday and there are a row of seeds. I want to collect the right ones and am just not sure.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  5:41:25 PM  Show Profile
maybe this is already in here... but I realize that you can buy heirloom seeds online and I don't even have a yard (YET!) but I'm wondering if maybe we could start this now... is there a way to swap heirloom seeds? Maybe just pay for shipping. And what about like farmgirl A plants heirloom tomatoes in year one, farmgirl B plants heirloom peas and farmgirl C plants heirloom raspberries and then at the end of the season the girls save their seeds and disperse and then all three farmgirls ahve all three seeds for the next growing season?

maybe I need to buy a yard and join a chapter and pitch this to them. We are looking at houses around here (with modest but garden worthy yards!) and I'm meeting up with a farmgirl this week (MissLiss) and we might be starting a local chapter since there isn't one, AND this might actually happen soon!

But, maybe it's something we could orchestrate between the gals that already have some heirloom plants and their seeds and some gals who don't yet? I mean to share the seeds all around the farmgirl connection. Like an heirloom seed planters group...?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  6:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Welp, I'm officially distracted by harvest season and gestating. Found a guy on the side of my town's main drag selling peaches the other day. Came home with 90lbs of peaches since he cut me a deal. When I already had 30-40lbs of pears in the garage finishing ripening among other goodies out in the garden. At least I got 15 quarts of peaches canned up and out of the way yesterday - one more box of peaches to demolish tonight, then I'm on to pear sauce (like applesauce, but with pears), a batch of green beans, oh, and drying/sorting seeds I'm yanking from the yard.

Anybody know the trick to pansy seeds?
I've gotten like 8 seeds so far. They're my 5yo's fav flower behind sunflowers, but I either get to 'em before the seeds have set or after they've already dropped. So annoying. Got plenty of marigold seeds though, holy cow. Will have enough of those to last a lifetime.
Also have asparagus, lettuce, kidney bean, tomato seeds that I've got going on inside here, plus I've got lots more outside still ripening (cukes, radishes, broccoli, more tomatoes, cilantro/coriander, and on and on).

Gail ~ No idea about the radish, but I'd probably just pull all the seeds. Maybe put the funky ones in a different envelope labeled as such, but that'd be about it. There are some pods on my radishes that have 1 seed, others that have 3 or 4. Same with green beans or peas - the seeds inside have a tendency to not always be the same. Mother Nature doing her thing is what I chalk it up to.

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  06:32:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls, I haven't visited this thread in so long. Just wanted to share with you a couple things: first of all, there are new bulletin posts in the Maven Henhouse. If you'd like to be a part of anything that's going on this fall, please make sure to read thru and let the person hosting the swap/event know. Secondly, Corrine, in France sends out a new list of Mavens everytime we get a new farmgirl sister and she is noticing a lot of people that are not participating or have just faded away. IF you'd like to be removed from this list I gently urge you to contact here so that she is not sending out any information to those who do not want it.
Lastly, omg! I have been up to my ears in vegetables this year! My heirloom garden completely exploded and I'm so blessed with an abundant bounty! I planted 42 tomatoe plants... yep. that's right... 42...like a dummy! I have tomatoes growing out of nowhere! This is my first year planting ALL heirloom and I'm so excited to learn and do with the heirlooms!
Oh, I just wanted to thank the girls that keep this thread going. Sept. 11 marks our first year anniversary and I'm so honored to be the Henhouse Mama and know that we are encouraging others to plant heirlooms as well!
Have a splendid day girls!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'm rough & tough and I don't wear bloomers~ Nellie Braken 1887
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  08:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello! Mavens~~

It sure has been busy around here. I can hardly believe all that we have been getting done. This is my first year starting things completely from seed and all heirloom. I have had so much to learn and there have been some mistakes and losses. I lost my squash plants to squash vine borers and because it was so rainy and cool here well into July I lost my melon plants. I hope to next year double the size of what I had this year. I will continue learning and trying to save seeds.

We were also busy with painting and redoing some of the rooms in the house. Mostly rearranging, recovering and those things. It makes things look new and it's a nice change when you can't afford to do what you would really like. I have cleaned almost all our windows, walls and curtains. It has taken quite a while. Now that that's all winding down I find that it's time to homeschool again. Time flies and I can't keep up.

I'm going to check the henhouse now. I have been a bad chickie and haven't had time to check in.

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  09:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the updates Dawn!!

Ruth- Sorry to hear you lost so many of plants to weather and bugs.

My garden didn't do so great this year due to lack of attention. I was gone during peak growth for almost two months all told, SOOO- most died. But I did get excellent sweat peas, a few small onions, and some green beans. I had hoped to put some produce up for the winter, but if I do get anything put up, it will have to be bought at the Farmer's Market! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  08:50:12 AM  Show Profile
My garden turned out about 1/3 of what I had hoped but due to other distractions it has been as much as I could manage as far as canning and using up the produce.
My tomatoes haven't ripened so I have found 6 green tomato recipes to try next week (for canning) - we are going to be out of town for the weekend so I'm hoping we don't get that notorious first frost before I have a chance to get to them.
In the spots where I got my newspapers and straw down early that has worked really well. I will definitely expand that next year.
Corinne - would you be willing to share recipes for the Citre? I have a couple that are doing dandy and I would love some french recipes for them!!
Sorry I haven't been posting much lately but you all know about August and gardens and harvest:D
Talk to you all soon!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  7:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace, sounds like my tomatoes did like yours. Nothing is ripening and don't look like it will so will be pulling up the plants next week and hanging them to see if anything will ripen. The squash is done and the corn isn't much better and pretty much unuseable. Not enough warm weather this year. Things started out real pretty but mother nature has deterred anything from growing any further. Hope we have a longer season of warm weather next year. Seems reading what others have said this weather has found many of your gardens. A bit frustrating when we hope for so long to have a nice garden. I really need to get serious about a greenhouse of some cheap kind.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  10:21:12 PM  Show Profile
Gail ~ Check this out: http://omelays.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-build-cheap-greenhouse.html

I've "known" this husband/wife duo online for years (she has a different blog though), and I'm hoping to have hubby put together something like this for me this fall so I'm ready to go come spring. Only thing we'll have to monkey with is the whole door thing (I'm thinking just a wood rectangle with the 6mil plastic on it - we have a roll of that stuff leftover from our plans to "winter-proof" our house before we got the woodstoves - never needed it after that), but we've got most everything else on hand. So, just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  08:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Lanna,
OK.. Love this guy~~~~ I will be doing this~ Brilliant! thanks for sharing it.
My garden has been going wild. I think it is interresting to hear about the late blooming heirloom tomatoes as mine are late as well. But, everything else has just been wild.

Rene'Groom
Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  09:06:34 AM  Show Profile
My hubby made me the greenhouse featured in MJF magazine last year. I will have to look for the pics on my blog. It's great. I love it.

Here's the link~hope it works~
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/2009/06/yard-and-garden.html

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Lanna, thank you so much for the info. I checked it out and it is perfect. I already have some of the scraps laying around the place. Can't wait to get started on it. Love free stuff and finding ways of making things work.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  07:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I didnt have as good of a garden as I had hoped for this year. Theres always next year. I still have tons of green tomatoes and my peppers just started getting big! The corn didnt do very good either but oh well. I still have cabbage and broccoli and cauliflower to put in the ground this weekend so there might be some fall produce.

Ruth- I would love to have your greenhouse...

Amy Grace--can you pass along some of those green mater recipes?

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  09:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*Can you believe just ten days before the first frost and my FIRST tomatoes of the year are only about marble sized! Sheesh! I think I will have to dig up the plant and bring it inside for the winter or perhaps I will make a plastic tent over it for the night time!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  3:01:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

*Can you believe just ten days before the first frost and my FIRST tomatoes of the year are only about marble sized! Sheesh! I think I will have to dig up the plant and bring it inside for the winter or perhaps I will make a plastic tent over it for the night time!

I'm right there with you. *sigh*
My tomatoes are still sending out blooms for crying out loud. Debating snipping them off though. Have you ever tried the varieties Kootenai or Alaska Fancy? I have some ginormous Alaska Fancies getting ready to ripen all at once here, I'm getting so impatient.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  5:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
No I haven't tried those yet. And darn it! I just realized I forgot to pick some ripe ones out at Tala's stable! They might be the only ones I get this year!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  11:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Mosey over to Irish Eyes Garden City Seed's site. Too late for this year (and I'm doubtful they'd have too much left for fall planting, but I could be wrong). Shorter season seeds. Except they don't have Territorial's supposed 55-day broccoli (Umpqua, I'm saving seeds from those suckers to really try next year).

Or if you hit the freeway headed my way you could always swing by... something tells me we'll have a glut of (full-sized but) green tomatoes to bring inside to ripen before too long....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page