graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  5:49:17 PM  Show Profile
How long are you going to be in Potlatch Alee?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  7:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have to go pick my friends up from Spokane on Sunday I think, and I am thinking I will take a day or two to visit friends and such.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  12:12:16 AM  Show Profile
I've been busy 'round here... After last year's craziness, we had like 5 days of spring and launched into summer this year. I much prefer being out and planting in spring-like weather (like 70*F?) than the 89*F and sunny that we've had this last week... I'm turning into a pile of freckles like my grandma did, even with all the darned sunscreen (you know white pantyhose? that's my natural color). Anyway.

Today we got done...
Got 50 tomato plants into the main bed (17 varieties there).
Two 6-ft rows of kidney beans with my 3yo's help.
Hubby started the raspberry trellises.
He also started the grape trellis.

In the last two weeks...
Yukon Gold potatoes planted.
Bull's Blood beets planted and now I have sprouts.
Spinach planted with sprouts appearing.
Orange and white carrots planted, along with celery, onions, leeks, some broccoli and some cauliflower.
Strawberries transplanted (still need to weed one bed).
Blueberries transplanted.
Asparagus bed 3/4 mulched/weeded. With tomatoes (Kootenai and Campbell's) and marigolds interplanted, still a work in progress.
Peas are about 4-6" tall.
Still have a fair amount of Winter Density lettuce going strong despite me picking at it for BLT's the last few days...

And I'm sure a few other things I can't remember. I'm tired. It's been a long day and part of my back is burnt since I couldn't reach it with sunscreen. *sigh*

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  07:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
All I've done the last two days is pull weeds, mow and use the brush hog. With so much rain (not complaining) the weeds are just showing themselves a lot more. My asparagus is looking good along with the tomatoes I purchased (organic) since my others are'nt really growing, and the onions look good. My cukes are coming up and bush beans popped up.
Amy Grace and Lanna, you girls sound like you have huge gardens. Would love to come and see everyone else's gardens. And some are already producing! I can't wait to get a nice ripe fresh veggie in my mouth. I long for my garden to be in full force. I am really hoping that it produces enough to actually can or freeze some this year. I mean to tell you as I write this my mouth is watering for fresh from the garden delights. I can't say enough about how much I love the smell of the fresh earth and watching what comes out of it. Time to go and plant some more. Have a great day all my Maven friends!

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  1:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Gail I am with you - I start craving fresh tomatoes, real, homegrown, fresh tomatoes about February every year. I know it will be soon, but I sure do get impatient this time of year.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:18:46 PM  Show Profile
I have sooooo neglected this thread. I'm terribly sorry.

My garden is getting the weed workover as I type. I can see 'em growing right in front of me eyes! However, all is in but the pumpkins and thats coming up soon. I too am craving real food!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  5:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Gail ~ I can't speak for AG, but my garden's only around 1200sf or so. I've kind of taken over half the backyard for garden space (several raised-type beds, a bigger L-shaped in-ground deal, just an assortment). I'm almost done now, yay!
All that's left is a cattle panel that'll be supporting squash, and a raised bed that's still being dug. Then on to planting my neighbor's 500sf garden this week when hubby can weed-whack and till it up for me. Busy.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  7:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So the other day when I left the water on? It made a huge divit where the sprinkler is! Yikes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  08:37:48 AM  Show Profile
We have a lawn tractor and it got stuck in the grass and buried itself until the arms that shoot out the water got stuck on the lawn and I remembered to turn it off..

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  08:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it funny the things we forget?! It is so easy to get too busy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

paintnpencils
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

jessica
glen rock pa
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:35:22 PM  Show Profile
I just started putting down newspaper and grass clippings around my tomatos, it keeps the weeds down and helps the ground retain moisture. I still have alot of rows to do. I planted 8 different kinds of tomatos almost all heirloom varieties, I also have zucchini, yellow zucchini, white patty pan squash, yellow patty pan squash, yellow straight squash, cucumbers, waltham butternut, amish crooked neck squash,4 varieties of sweet potato, green peppers, yellow peppers, and 4 different hot peppers. But I still have to plant brussel sprouts, bushel gourds, apple gourds, 4 different pumpkins, and sweet corn. Although last year I only got a few good ears of corn, the racoons ate most of the rest, I am planting the pumkins all around the corn this year, I read that racoons don't like to walk through vining plants. Well I guess I will find out? wow I still have so much to do

each day is a new oportunity to create,improve, expand, and share.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  9:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Jessica! Awesome Garden! Want to come work mine?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  05:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Your garden sounds wonderful Jessica, when you're done with helping Alee, could you come to my place too? :P

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  1:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone! Its been so long and I have felt so far away! But...the open house and graduation is behind me and I can concentrate on the garden! We have only had a few days of sun and a bunch of rain. But my little seeds are growing into tiny plants and I am looking forward to nurturing each one!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back, Marcy Jo!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Ok, age old topic - how do I keep the bunnies out of my garden????
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good tight fencing.
A dog.
Rabbit stew.
All of the above.
Good luck.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  09:42:20 AM  Show Profile
dang, I was hoping not to have to fence...I'd try hot sauce on the wood frame around it but it keeps raining torrential buckets here...
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile
From what I understand rabbits don't like rosemary, you could plant some around the garden.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  08:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
Our rabbits are leaving things alone, but I'm ready to declare war on these stinkin' chimpunks! They were cute before I had a garden.

Yesterday, I saw tunnels into a couple of mounds housing freshly sown zucchini seeds. Whatdya wanna bet I'll come up empty on some zucchini plants??
*GGRRRR*

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  4:25:52 PM  Show Profile
Yay, I've got most of our garden in! Hubby's working on putting together another raised bed for me in front of the clothesline, and I'll be putting in turnips and carrots and probably some lettuce over there at some point. I like overwintering the carrots - makes me feel good being able to pull something up from under the snow in March. Then I also get my choice of what carrot I want to leave to go to seed.

Only got the main part of my neighbor's garden planted for 'em. Some things came up, including how freakin' difficult their dirt is and because they haven't really taken as good a care of their garden as we have ours (i.e. we don't till in plastic or black wood tarps, don't leave broken plastic pots out to disintegrate, we toss rocks under our evergreens or down a little hill where we don't plant, etc.). It was really tough going over there.

I've got potatoes that are pretty happy, corn that's starting to come up, a very happy grape vine, and I've only lost about 7-9 tomato plants from my 3yo's "help" in the garden. Peas and beans are sprouting, lettuce is doing well as I keep harvesting leaves for BLT's, and the strawberries are actually ripening up on time this year! Yeehaw!

And to add to the fun, my baby girl's turning 1yo on Tuesday among other madness around here.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  8:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi ya'll. I have missed being here. Goodness, everyone's gardens sound really good. I am getting squash and zuc now and will be swimming in green beans this week. I need to start picking. Also lots of beets. It's been really hot here with not much rain this month so far.

Hey April, I'll send you some zucchini. I have plenty to share! I need to go back out tomorrow and pick more. I might need to go to the farmer's market downtown on Monday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  04:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
Oh you're sweet, Kris! I love you folks with those longer growing seasons LOL!

Zucchini is prolific, no? Always reminds me of a Dave Barry quote:

"The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini.
Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of
zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl
around the garden, menacing the other vegetables.
At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as
more and more zucchinis erupt."

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  07:40:18 AM  Show Profile
That is so true! I had to copy that. I am going to the farmer's market in town today with some really small zucchini up to really huge zucchini. This might explain the huge difference in the sizes! I like the bigs ones though to make bread with. I just grate and throw out the big seedsYeah, it seems like for every nice sized squash or zuc I pull off, I have to toss about 3 that are way too big. Very wasteful.

I just picked probably half a bushel of green beans and a wagon load of the squash and zuc and am going out to pull up some beets. I pulled up a few just awhile ago and they are ready to go! So I am off to the market today!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kris, just wanted to let you know "our" rhubarb is doing great and we will have jam!!lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page