Page: of 217

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  2:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Today I went around the yard and many things have come up. Pole beans, cucumbers, wildflowers, lettuce, the tomatoes I bought are doing well, the yellow squash ify, zuchinni good. My rhubarb hasn't done a thing, this is my first year planting it and I don't know what else it needs. We have had rain every day for over a week. Some of my plants are aching for more warm sunshine. I planted some cosmos and sage and marigolds today. Would love to have a lot more color around here. Every one sounds like their gardens are doing well. Just got back yesterday from Yakima and every thing up there is blooming. I can see why some of your gardens are doing so well, what beautiful country in that neck of the woods. Will be coming back through in a few weeks heading over to the BBB. See some of ya' all there. Till then I will keep on planting and pulling the weeds.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  07:12:53 AM  Show Profile
I finally had enuf to go to the farmer's market in Lafayette yesterday! I had alot of squash and zuc and enuf beans to do 6 nice baskets. And beets. I sold all the beans and squash and half the zuc and beets. I made $30! I had to pay the membership fee and the $5 set up fee so I made $5. Plus I sold some to a friend so I grossed $10! Yippee! There were only me and 3 others yesterday there but one of them is a big family farm and they had lots of stuff and one guy is a great salesman. I got sick of hearing him with his cute little sales pitch every 10 minutes about the same ole stuff. But he was good. We got to go under some big huge oak trees in a park near the middle of town. It was nice with a cool breeze blowing. But I forgot my chair.

I was out mulching around my tomatoes and saw some flowers. Then up some more I saw some tomatoes! There are quite a few now. I was so excited to see them. And of all the heirloom I planted there are 4 left and they are doing good so far.

Does anyone know anything about Homestead tomatoes? I bought 4 from a guy last month and they are looking really good. I have never planted them before and wondered if they were an heirloom variety. If so then I have 8.

Teresa Sue, my rhubarb never did come up. I was so upset. So maybe next fall I can order the plants and start some that way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  1:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I went through the garden last night and found some tomatoes, cucs, beans, corn and a few others coming up!! It has been raining a lot here but then I dont have to water the garden!!!

Kristin did you plant all the rhubarb seeds??? If not try starting some indoors in a pot then transplanting them. If you did I think I might still have some that I can send you.

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  2:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Marcy Jo, good to hear from you. My pumpkins, potatoes, & beans are up, tomatoes are bloosoming, as are the raspberries, and the rhubarb is fabu!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  7:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Marcy, when I got the seeds there were several that were crushed, I guess from going throught he post office machines. There were a few good ones though and I planted them in the little cell cups but none ever came up. It may be too late now to start any more and it's so hot here. I do have some shady spots they might do good in, though.

I went to the FM yesterday, too. I did pretty good and will go back Sat. By then all the little tiny squash should be just right. People like it small. There about 20 vendors on Saturdays and I will be getting there later so I hope I do ok. I love going and meeting people and talking about all the good food. Plus the grass-fed beef guy is there on Sat.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  10:15:38 PM  Show Profile
We've got a lot of things coming up... Mostly just seedlings though, but my potatoes and the peas I planted fairly early are quite happy. My grape vine has lots of little teeny grape clusters, the asparagus are ferning and I think I got a few female plants (yay! self-propogating asparagus!), one of my tomato plants has three little flowers, and the kids and I have gone strawberry picking at a u-pick farm twice already to the tune of 11.5lbs and 17lbs so far. They pretty much eat every strawberry from the backyard, it's not a big enough plot to be able to can/freeze enough to last the year. Oh, and I'm pregnant. Again. So now my plan, if the whole exhaustion thing doesn't do me in, is to do as much prep and canning this year as humanly possible because I don't know that much will happen next year. Babies always mess around with my planting/harvesting/canning.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  05:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Lanna!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Jun 20 2009 05:56:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  07:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been eatting early peas out of my garden the last few days. I am addicted to opening the pea pods! LOL The onions seem to be doing quite well. I think I will put in another row worth. The greens are knee height and I think I see some flower stalks forming!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  08:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Awesome! I love a garden dinner, you know, when you just stand in the garden and eat FRESH, lol!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  08:22:26 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on the new "Sprout" Lanna!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  07:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Lanna!

TS- Yes, I love that too! And it's amazing how just a little snack in the garden is very satisfying. I am certainly eating less! If only we only had to eat when our gardens were producing! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  08:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, would that be great Alee, lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  1:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
The heirloom radishes at the co op garden are real tasty so says my dh and his friends. Everything out there is looking really well and growing fast. My garden on the other hand is pitiful. my chard grew about five inches and went to seed, my radishes grew one skinny one and the other plants are barely coming up. Now what I purchased is doing fine. I have so much more amendments to make for some of these seeds to make it here. Today being first day of summer, we are in jeans, and sweatshirts. It was 49 at 9am and here it is 1pm and its only 52. I think it is gonna have to warm up some time. I hope.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  2:19:23 PM  Show Profile
It is definitely a weird year weather wise. We had two weeks of hot -for the first of June - dry weather, now, when my tomatoes need warmth it is rainy and chilly. Go figure - my monster rhubarb barely even sputtered this year too. There was one year I got at least 60 pounds off it in a week - this year nada.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
My heirloom radishes wound up being the first fruits of my veggie garden and boy are they tasty! Nothing like those big, cardboard facsimiles at the supermarket... :-o

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  2:36:12 PM  Show Profile
I know! This weather is just nutso again. Although we haven't had to water the garden barely at all, which is nice. My Kootenai tomatoes and Purple Russians seem to be liking it okay - and they're my two varieties I plan to always have in the yard from now on because they do pretty well in the screwy weather we get.

I'm sure I've still got rhubarb out back if you're in the area. I don't touch it/use it/nothing. Just leave it be. And I don't dare try to take it out and move it somewhere else or something because then I'd have 2+ plants. We're just not rhubarb fans, and it was there when we bought the house so I let it be.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  08:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls! Ugh, it seems like forever since I've had time to sit and talk dirt! Working 45-50 hours a week is not agreeing with me. Well all the seeds I started inside died before the ground dried up enough to get it tilled. I did manage to have about 7 tomato plants survive. I was so disappointed because I had worked so hard and then they ended up wasted. Oh well, live and learn! Next year I'll know not to start a seed until the garden can be worked.

Hey Dawn, you sent me some swiss chard and it is coming up so pretty! I can't wait to try it.

The weeds are also taking over my gardens. It's hard to try and squeeze every single outside chore into short weekends. And right now that's the only time I can get anything done. :(

Well I hope everyone else has been doing well and their gardens are overflowing. (Just not with weeds!)

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  12:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tammy - good to hear from you. I agree, it is very hard to keep up on things when you work full time outside the home!! I have to prioritize and right now housecleaning is not a priority:) I may not have guests for a few months....
My garden is overflowing, and only partly with weeds so I'm counting that as progress. I'm battling the weeds today, so far it's not going too bad. I've harvested radishes and spring onions so far, but a salad is not far off!!
My tomatoes that I started from seed seem to be doing well - I'm very encourages.
Hope everyone else is having fun playing in the dirt
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  1:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tammy- you should see my garden- I think the weeds think it is "home base" UGH! LOL Oh well! I am going to try to get it under control then re-plant the quick growing stuff.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  1:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Still coaching my garden..I have one tomato plant that was only two inches tall..she refused to grow or give up...well she has doubled in size!! she may be a late bloomer but I bet her fruit will taste the best!!

The rest of the garden-especially the weeds are growing. I know that when things start coming in I will have it coming out my ears!! I cant wait!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile
I just went out and pulled radishes and lettuce. My radishes look like they were on steroids - absolutely HUGE! I also have really pretty lettuce still holding it's own. I must say, my garden looks like something out of a book this year and I really haven't a clue why because I haven't doted on it too much.

By the way: I have some seeds ready for next year. Email me if you are interested.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  05:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
All the heirlooms that I planted are doing really well, but most of my other plantings have done a poor showing. Hubbs ran the little homemade disc through the part of the garden that didn't come up well, I'll finish hand weeding and then do some fall plantings. After I go get some more heirloom seeds!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon All! We've had a lot of rain this summmer. Sometimes this is a good thing but my veggies, except for my beets,lettuce and heirloom tomatoes, are struggling a little......

Weeds, I thought I had a handle on them but with the steady rain and now high temps they seem to have invited all thier relatives! Sometimes I ask myself why I bother but then I sit down to a meal grown in my own yard and remember why. I'm getting ready to throw some more seed for some late summer and fall harvests....

Anyone have suggestions on were to get good seed and root stock? Maybe not for this season but to get me ready for Spring 2010. I'd like to know if anyone out there has had any luck with sweet potatos in the Colorado/Rocky Mountain region above 5000 feet, and what varieties they used.
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the Mavens Heaven Heather, I am sure one of the ladies will have some answers for you.
Nothing better that a dinner made out of home grown vegetable, especially when we know how much effort came around the growing and the weeding.
We had our first little peppers, we eat them raw in salad here in France, they are the epitome of summer for us.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, are you looking for anything in particular ? Let me know and I will put something together for you, I have beets and lettuce for sure, maybe a couple of other fall related crop, let me check.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page