Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  9:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Lanna- Sounds like you have been busy!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Boy I envy those of you that have weather that is cooperating with your gardening. We go from freezing to 91 and the poor plants are all shocked and struggling. It has been so crazy! Today seems to be about an aberage spring day here in the valley about 70 ish with no wind. We have had HUGE amounts of wind this spring to, grrr! I lost all of my hollyhock starts.. so I will start over. It seems we are going to go straight into summer with scorching heat here...poor plants! I am busy putting more drip lines down.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  07:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene- I seem to remember the Palouse doing the same thing last year- It was freezing one morning and 90 degrees the next!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile
Rene, Mr. Durfey said I could pick sour cherries on his farm last year and I certainly did. I have never had such good cherry pies as with those cherries. Now that he is gone, what are we going to do? I am sure I will miss him also.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  11:14:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Rene- I seem to remember the Palouse doing the same thing last year- It was freezing one morning and 90 degrees the next!

Yup. My mom took photos of the snow on the WSU campus on June 11th last year. Absolutely nuts. I think we had like 3 weeks of spring up here last year, and by August I'd predicted a crazy winter just because of how the weather was acting. Hubby laughed at me. After that 6-7 feet of snow in Dec/Jan he stopped laughing.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  12:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes! The cold spring last year did not give us much of a chance to get used to the idea of summer, did it?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  05:07:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll. I feel like an Heirloom Maven traitor. I started several kinds of heirloom tomato seeds I'd gotten from Wintersown. I planted them and I might end up with 10 if I'm lucky. I must confess I went to the feed store and bought a whole flat of hybrid tomates. My hubby made me do it. He wants tomatoes and it looks like we won't get many from the other ones. I think the heirlooms are a bit harder to grow. They need to be babied and I don't do that here. If it doesn't grow it gets turned into compost. It's very upsetting to me, though, because I really wanted heirloom tomatoes. I think I will make a few more raised beds with better soil and try again. They might do better in the raised beds.

How are ya'll doing with heirlooms?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  2:42:23 PM  Show Profile
hey Kris,
don't beat yourself up over it. Growing anything from seed sometimes can be a challenge.Sometimes things get buried too deeply, sometimes the soil isn't warm enough to start the germination, and on and on.
As for my gardening efforts this year..well I haven't planted anything this year except for store bought flowers to go in a flower bed and a large terra cotta pot.I also planted a few hybrid green beans but they didn't produce very well. The only reason why those got planted is because my hubby had bought a bunch of hybrid bean seeds and I'm of the thought of "waste not/want not" so we planted a few of them, only wound up with a handful of beans before they stopped producing.Cest la vie'
I have been enjoying the cottage garden this Spring though..as it is full of lance leaf coreopsis, gloriosa daisies and blanketflowers, so I wind up with some cheerful cut flowers in my kitchen quite often.
We are still trying to find a buyer for our home, and it looks like we may have a home soon in Ocala..we will know more in about a week and a half on whether the home in Ocala will be "the one" for us.
I really, really, really hope it is as it is 3 times the size lot that I currently have,and has lovely established oak trees on the lot, and the area is real nice and sort of rural.We would be able to keep our chickens and even add to our chicken flock.:0)I so want to be able to both sell this home and to get moved and into a new place so that I can get back to digging in the dirt again.
So don't feel badly..you aren't the only maven who hasn't been planting heirlooms this year. But I am really, really hoping to be into a new home by Fall.Really crossing my fingers for that...so maybe, just maybe I can have a Fall garden this year. I sure hope so.
~Tina

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  7:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Tina. I just felt like I should fess up here. I feel better now.

I sure hope you have good luck selling your house and can get another soon. We did that almost 5 years ago right in the middle of planting time. So we missed out on a garden that year. I always felt like I was missing something. It's not fun to not be able to have a garden. I will probably be in the garden in a walker or canes or even a wheel chair when I'm old. But still in the garden, though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  10:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris,
thank you... it is a bit difficult being "in transition" as right now my entire house has been "de-personalized" oh gosh is that hard as with us women we like to rearrange things and enjoy seeing the things that we have decorated with that make us smile..at least it is for me ..a bit difficult to have almost totally bare walls and for all of the "fun" stuff to be packed all away, and the garden area has been converted back to a city lawn.
I am keeping my fingers, toes,and even my eyes crossed..ha that the house that is a possibility becomes a definite.
It would meet our needs on so many levels, but anyhow..we will know something more definitive in a week and a half..so hard to wait sometimes..but I certainly am learning patience..I think..grins.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  05:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Tina~I'm hoping that things will work out soon for your home situation. The new house sounds like it would be wonderful. I hope your home sells quickly, too.

Kris~don't feel bad. Just live and learn and maybe it will work well next year. All the seeds I started from Seed Savers worked great.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  6:12:58 PM  Show Profile
http://www.theglobaleducationproject.org/earth/food-and-soil.php

Here is an interesting little site. It makes me even more proud to be a Maven, even though I'm too busy to post a lot. We've lost so much biodiversity it makes it all the more important to hang on to what we've got and share it.

All of you sisters and Mavens are wonderful, Have a great weekend!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls!

How was Spring Fling?

My garden is finally taking off - I'm so excited!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  1:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh I know how you feel Kristin But you are not alon. At least you were able to plant something. We have a wedding in 16 days and so everything outside has kind of fallen by the wayside. My son has been weeding the flowerbeds and mowing and that has been the extent of the gardening this year. Hoping to get in the swing of things around here about the end of June. Wish I could remember what normal is here though. Sure have missed all you dear Mavens.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  6:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, I finally have something about gardening to write about!!! I planted most of my garden today, hope to finish tomarrow. I planted sunflowers, indian corn, heirloom pumpkins, cucumbers, dill, bush peas, patty pan squash, bush beans, heirloom cantaloupe, three kinds of heirloom potatoes, five kinds of heirloom tomatoes, two kinds of heirloom peppers. I'm still trying to use up all my non heirloom seed, I can't just throw it away, that's wasteful.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, I am starting to see some progress in the garden. Most of my heirloom tomatoes didn't make it but what is there is still pretty small. Planted bush beans, summer squash, broccoli, hot yellow wax peppers, zucchini, heirloom chard, radish and organic lettuce. Most are coming up and looking really nice. We are getting a good downpour of rain right now and expect the next 6 days of the same. Hope my flower seeds I planted today don't get washed away. We also went from a few days of spring to summer type weather. I just today hooked up the cooler and put in new pads to cool the inside of my house down. Crazy weather.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  9:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Gail- Your garden sounds great!

I can't wait to see what my garden has been doing by the time I get back! It will either be big...or dead!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  06:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
ROFL, you crack me up Alee.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  07:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee~ let's hope for "BIG"! Mine is doing well. Temps have finally leveled out here, which is so nice. I am looking forward to a great growing season!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  10:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene'- that is what I am hoping for too! There is a garden here at the ranch that I must confess has been a bit neglected this past week. So I got a sprinkler set up this morning and it's getting a good soak right now. I can hear the plants sighing in relief from here.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  10:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay, round two in the garden. Added zucchini, bird egg beans, mortgage lifter tomatoes, tomatillos, lettuce, and radish.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  6:24:18 PM  Show Profile
I've got all my cool-weather stuff planted - potatoes are up and going like gang-busters;) onions and shallots are up too. I can also see the starts of peas, radishes and beets - those are always the quick ones. I have also planted cabbage, mustard, kale, chard, lettuce, turnips, rutabagas, two kinds of carrots and parsnips.
It is a little hot for planting today but I'm doing zucchini, crookneck and spaghetti squash, pumpkins, corn, sunflowers, 4 kinds of beans from seed and then tomatoes, peppers, 4 kinds of melons and 2 kinds of cucumbers from starts (I started them) on Sunday and Monday - woohoo!!!! I love this time of year - the lilacs, hawthorne trees and peonies are all in bloom right now, just lovely
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  7:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Amy Grace! Guess what- I drove right by your town twice today! I had to take some friends up to Spokane and took the Oaksdale route back to Potlatch!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  12:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Well geez Alee - wish I'd known, you coulda stopped by, although the way my week is going I probably was not home. Not enough time at home lately - I'm hoping to plant melons and cukes today after my in-laws go home, they are coming for their birthday dinner and presents - birthdays were March 20 and April 6. That should give you some idea of how my year is going as far as getting things done on time:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  1:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I know what you mean! I would have loved to stop, but I had to get back to the ranch to milk the goats!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: