farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:13:32 AM  Show Profile
you aren't alone amanda!!! We have gotten so much rain that 2 of the 3 routes heading east from our house are under water!!! And they say that we may hit the 5 inch mark today again!! We just had 6 inches saturday night!! I don't have a clue when we'll be able to get the other seeds into the garden! I have never started my bigger seeds inside amanda....like the melons, squashes, pumpkins, okra and beans....I figure that since they grow so fast, and we have such a long growing season that there isn't much of a point! HOWEVER....with all of this rain we are getting, I may have to start them indoors now...if I want to be able to harvest anything before september!!!! lol!!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  3:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Kelley, I think ya'll might have us beat by 1/2". And that's alot of work planting all those plants. My back wouldn't take it anymore. Been lifting too many 50 lb. feed sacks.

And ya can't dry wet seeds. They just sprout and mold. So the chickens had a nice snack of sprouted field peas. Yum!

Alee, we got our tiller used almost 29 years ago. It's still going strong. We've had to work on it some here and there, but overall, it's been a good one. Troy Bilt, they're the best.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens,

FYI, I started another thread over in ACROSS THE FENCE, called CALLING ALL MAVENS. I just need you to pop in there and let me know if you are coming to the BBB and if you are staying at my place. A few months ago several of you said you were but now that it's less than two months away I need some confirmations please. Thanks!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Do y'all realize we have more pages on this thread than the word association game, hahahaha!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:29:21 PM  Show Profile
We rock!

Well, we finally had a day with a little sunshine. And, yep, as I feared, the EVIL powdery mildew is trying to get ahold of my wintersown squash plants and cukes. I KNEW that would happen if this rain didn't let up. I've separated the afflicted ones away from the rest of the "flock" until I can get home after work and deal with them. I suppose I will likely just pitch the cukes, they've got it BAD. Shame, they were getting nice and big and ready for planting out. A couple of zukes, just have it a litle bit.

In the past I've kept it at bay by spraying with 10% milk, 90% water at the first appearance - something about the milk reacting with the mildew - doesn't seem to cure it but does keep it manageable. We're down in the bottoms by the river, so in addition to Skeeter Central we get the mildew and fungus too.

If anybody has any suggestions, I will take 'em!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- what about adding a few drops of vinegar in to the mix? Maybe that would kill the mildew/mold without killing your plants?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Today is finally sunny and warm for me to go and pull some weeds out of the garden. When I uncovered my seed rows I found only three plants have started. I really think all the rain for three days washed them all away, so time to plant a few more and keep my fingers crossed. The onion sets that I planted are doing really well along with the rubharb. My indoor seedlings are aching for the outdoors but will need to wait at least 3 more weeks. The weeds have taken over my garden more than anything.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us Friends.....Maryjanes made us Sisters
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  6:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday we lost a local old timer by the name of Mr. Durfey of Durfey farms. He would always make us laugh, when people would ask when we could plant this or that and he would always say, "mother's day weekend" for everything... So in his honor I hope those of us that are mavens will take a moment during the weekend to thank those that have come before us, passing down the knowledge.. we will surley miss them when they are gone!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  8:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
OH NO! Not Mr. Durfey! He would always come to the Moscow Farmer's Market! He was the sweetest old man, and a shameless flirt! He woudl always give me a discount on what he was selling when I was a vendor at the market. Just a sweet sweet old man! That makes me truly sad, Rene'! At least his memory will live on!

quote:
Originally posted by prosserfarmgirl

Yesterday we lost a local old timer by the name of Mr. Durfey of Durfey farms. He would always make us laugh, when people would ask when we could plant this or that and he would always say, "mother's day weekend" for everything... So in his honor I hope those of us that are mavens will take a moment during the weekend to thank those that have come before us, passing down the knowledge.. we will surley miss them when they are gone!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  8:28:03 PM  Show Profile
What a neat idea Rene - to take Mother's day as an opportunity to honor those "mother's of invention, innovation, frugality etc." I wish I had become more of a farmgirl in time to learn more from my grandma. When I think of my ideal garden it looks a lot like the one I remember at her house, she is still around but at 94 she is tired, and not remembering things like she used to.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  06:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Hellooooooooooooooooo! Wow! It's been forever since I have posted! We have been soooooo busy this spring. We put up a new chicken yard, been trying to plant the garden between rains, sewing like crazy for the Spring Fling and trying to figure out what we are going to do about Lliam. He's been suspended permantly from school. Yippeee! NOT. His last outburt was ended by the local PD being called and taking him down to the ground and handcuffing him. He's 9. He couldn't shut his mouth and told them he could get out of the handcuffs so they put another pair on him thru his belt loops. Gotta love autism!

ANYWAY.....we finally got our new doors installed. We have had them since 2007! Trimming is not complete, but at least we can lock them! I have also been making candles and soap like crazy. Oh and have been making jewelry all for the S.F. It's only 2 weeks away! Lance and I have also made a couple of wind chimes out of old silver plate flatware (boy is it flat!) I made one out of child size pieces and it sounds so wonderful! I don't want to sell it. We also made 1 drying rack from MJ book. We are going to try to make a couple more, but time is a wasting!!

OHOHOHOHOH I got all my seeds, seed potatoes and tomato seedlings from SSE. I am so excited. My attempt at starting seeds didn't do so good. I will try again next year! I had a few sprout, but I planted way more than that!!!!

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  07:11:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lora - good to hear from you - you have been busy. I hope everything works out with Lliam.
I'm jealous of all you Mavens going to the spring fling!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well my garden should grow great now! Nora was out kissing all the baby plants! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  3:00:35 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a winner Alee:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  08:11:36 AM  Show Profile
Awww.. hope you gotta pic of lil Nora kissing the plants. what a cute card that would make!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  09:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alee,
Yes, that Mr. Durfey. His daughter Linda is our farmer's Market Director. They are a great family. His services are Wed. I will go for the both of us...

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  09:44:33 AM  Show Profile
We started working in the yard yesterday and the weeds are so far winning...just wait til I get the rototiller HA! It is finally dried out enough that I won't sink in the mud
Today is cool and rainy and I'll work on the house until my afternoon appointment I think...I'm feeling lazy today...maybe it'll just be a few loads of laundry.

We have so many things to plant this year. I am hoping that I'll have enough water to get things to harvest. Yesterday was amazing! it was sunny and blue-sky and mild...it felt so good after the long winter we've had.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  09:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene- I would appreciate it. He was such a sweet guy- very kind! He will be missed!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Whew - Yesterday was a beautiful day and I was able to get 19 heirloom maters planted as well as red gold potatoes from SSE. I also planted Sultan's Golden Crescent beans. The SSE cattie says they are rare. They must be - I only had enough for 2 rows. Gee, I sure hope they grow. I also planted 10 seeds of Black Valentine and Ram's Horn beans that were sent to me from sisters!!! I am trying to talk with Mother Nature about knocking off all this rain!! I wasn't able to get my chard, corn and several other things in the ground. AND it is supposed to rain the rest of the week! I can't stand it. Oh I know - it's better than a drought, but come on! We almost need a canoe just to feed the calf and chicks!!

Lliam is going to show some of the Bantam chicks we have. We got a mixed straight run so identifiying some of them has not been easy. He is going to show White Silkie, Millie Fleur d'Uccle, Sebright and 2 standards = white crested Polish and a Delaware.

We have several others, but I can't figure out what they are! He wanted to show our Black Astralorp rooster, Vader, but that would mean a blood test and vet bills, so I talked him out of it for now.

Hugs!!

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lora- I hope the Golden Cresent beans grow for you! Wouldn't it feel so great to know you had a stock pile of rare beans?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  4:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Nothing spectacularly exciting over here... I have about 127 tomato plants. Half of which are in the garage waiting to be repotted, half of which are already repotted and hanging out in the pantry. Only 27 varieties. Been working on weeding and planting/transplanting things here and there between the downpours. Hopefully the weather man isn't completely off his rocker and we'll get a few days of okay weather to get stuff done... I have a friend and her kiddo coming over tomorrow to help me weed and transplant strawberries in exchange for a few tomato plants. And I have some jalapeno plants I think I don't need as well (the germ. rate of those home-saved suckers was awesome! holy cow!).

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  10:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Ladies~it seems like years since I've had a chance to post here. I have been working on transplanting my seedlings and repotting. Hubby built an enclosure for the garden with chicken wire. The squirrels here are horrible and they will ruin your whole garden. This will keep them out. It's great to know that they won't be able to ruin our work.

I can't wait to have a few minutes to take pictures and post them. I have my beans planted, the spinach, lettuce and kale are out there, too. The tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, melons, squash and gourds are patiently waiting in the greenhouse. I'm glad they weren't out yet. I was tempted to put them out last week but then it ended up raining almost everyday. It's a good thing I didn't because last night we had a frost advisory. It was darn cold.

Lanna~wow~that's alot of tomotoes.

Lora~we've had tons of rain here too.

Rene~sorry to hear about your loss.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  1:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
HI Mavens! I feel like I am so behind in my garden but it is still a bit early for the tender plants! Havent had much luck at seed starting but am planning on getting a heat mat for next year. And I dont know why I didnt think of it sooner but my broken down truck could have been my greenhouse!! The cab is always warmer than the weather! I wonder about me sometimes!! Gotta run!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  1:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marcy!

Nice to hear from you!

My garden is a bit behind schedule too! What do you have planted?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, things have been greening up over here, finally.
My asparagus is almost 2 feet tall in some places (next year I can finally harvest, I'm so excited).
The raspberries are leafing out, as are the blackberries and blueberries.
Strawberries are flowering already.
Garlic is doing great
My bush peas are finally starting to pop up, and oh boy are they cute. We'll see how cute I think they are in a few weeks when they go nuts.
I think I have another plum tree or two that self-seeded. We'll see how that goes.

Since today's pretty blustery and gray, I'm thinking of starting to harden things off - so I can start transplanting Memorial weekend. A bit of a breeze going on by the front door, and no sun to cook the cute seedlings.

I have been transplanting strawberries from one bed to another, weeding and relocating raspberries, hubby's been burning up small tree branches from some trees we cut down to make room for 6 fruit trees, and I have a bunch of other things I need him to do this week(end) as well.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page