Page: of 217

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
WE HAVE SUN... WE HAVE SUN!!!!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Here too!! Sun and about 60 - perfect!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  3:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I am so jealous to see it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  3:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sorry ALee, didnt mean to rub your noise in it, I was just so shocked!

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  5:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Not to worry Alee I still have snow too. I have been thinking that I am way behind my planting but just have not had the weather to do it in. I have plants ready to go just haven't had the weather to and or time.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  7:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's okay!! I checked my garden today- and the peas have sprouted!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  7:34:50 PM  Show Profile
Yay!! Go peas go.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:38:34 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but we have RAIN!!!! It's been a week ago Sunday since we've had rain here. Almost 2 weeks. And I just finished planting some more tomato plants! And I saw okra, too!! So now everything I have planted is coming up and I can see my way too crooked rows now. The okra is seed I saved from plants last year. I was thinking they may not come up, but they are. So I am on my way to some huge gardening now. This is the easy part, watching things come up. The hard part comes later. The harvesting of all this stuff! I may have to get help this year. I just hate to pay someone when I don't make much myself.

Our farmer's market opens here May 2nd. I will have nothing. So I will have to wait. It will come soon enuf.

Sounds like everyone is having good luck with their gardens. I can't believe someone would not want a garden, Suzanne. He'll like all the good fresh produce though.

Alee, how's the weather there today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kristin,
Our farmers market opens this sat as well, it is such a HUGE deal in our community, it seems the whole community comes out for it. I have been the assistant market manager but stepped down this year and now I am just on the board and volunteer on sat... such fun!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:56:56 AM  Show Profile
3 weeks til Spring Fling! Woo HOOOOOO!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne, that's great! Can't wait to see how it works out.

I've got peas and beans sprouting, lettuce - which I am currently enjoying every night, can't say enough good things about tom thumb butterhead lettuce! - my nasturtiums are up, my seedlings inside (round 2) are doing well and may have a prayer of catching up - carrots are up, broccoli raab is getting huge, my cukes need to be transplanted - and my squash and pumpkins are looking pretty good too - what else?

Oh, yeah, RAIN! Way too much of that. Seriously, Ma Nature, can we please have a little break now?

How big do y'all let your pumpkins and squash plants get before you transplant them? Or do you start them outside? Most of mine seem to have four or five big leaves on them now.

If anyone's coming through Tulsa on your way to Spring Fling, I'll be happy to send some pumpkin, zucchini and butternut starts with you!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers

Edited by - DearMildred on May 01 2009 11:39:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  2:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- you will have to tell me your secret for growing lettuce. I never seems to do well for me! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  07:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I always just plant pumkins and squash outside. Same with cukes.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  09:54:31 AM  Show Profile
darn it! I was halfway through my reply and erased it.

TS, I don't think I am going to mess with the winter sowing and transplanting next year - except it does seem like it's going to be handy to get another round of spinach and lettuce going in my "ghetto greenhouses" and transplant them in, rather than starting with seeds in the beds when I use up a head of lettuce.

My SFG has limited space! Guess that's the point though. :)

Alee I really love the Tom Thumb butterhead lettuce seeds I got from Botanical Interests. Those little buggers just seem to grow themselves! It's been raining on them for a week and they're happy as all get out. Not having near so much luck with the leaf lettuce, couldn't tell you why.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  2:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My Lettuce loves coffee grounds...Grows like crazy!

Dawn..............Three weeks.............I cant wait!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  2:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Ya'll, my big garden is practically under water. We've had lots of rain before, but I can't remember this much in the garden. There are lots of low spots. I guess I'll just have to see if everything will make it. I may have to replant. Is anyone else getting all day and all night rain like us? It will be weeks before I will be able to walk in the garden.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  3:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow Kristin - that is discouraging. We aren't getting a ton of rain but it isn't really very nice weather either - fortunately it isn't snowing anymore. I know that in the short term this is bad news for your garden but hasn't the south been experiencing drought-like conditions for awhile? I seem to remember a report on NPR about a town in Georgia that was subject to water-rationing because of it. Not that that makes you feel any better when you are gazing forlornly out of your window at the garden that you cannot walk in - hope it clears up soon!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  7:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kristin-

Sorry to hear that you are having an over abundance of rain. Too bad you couldn't but up tents over your garden and funnel all that excess into rain barrels! Can you imagine! You would have water for weeks! Are any of your plants sprouted?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, yuck, we've had a ton of rain too... I hope you get a break from it!

I've been holding off on transplanting a few things and sowing more seeds because I'm waiting for some sunshine.

No garden news to report after this rainy weekend! Except it looks like I may end up having more tomato and squash plants than I have room for. (Or appetite for.) I may look for additional sunny spots to plant some extra tomatoes, but the rest I'm hoping to give away. Neighborhood community gardens are experiencing a renaissance of sorts here in Tulsa, so I'm hoping they'll take some.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:10:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat Amanda - I wanted to make sure I had enough tomato and pepper starts that took so I over-planted. I think I'm going to give my extras away, a couple of farmgirl friends and then the rest to the garden at my mom's church - they did a huge foodbank garden last year.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  7:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, yes, we were experiencing drought like conditions for a few years but now I just heard on the news tonight that we are just a 1/2" below normal! That is great news. But not when I'm slippin' and slidin' all over the place and knee deep in mud. I would love to have a huge dump truck of concrete dumped in my goat yard and holding pen. It's awful out there.

I'm sorry for complaining and I know I sound ungrateful, but I really hate going out side right now. It's like a swamp. And I'm not into swamps at all.

Everything in the garden is a few inches tall, so I think it will be ok. I see a few spots that need to be replanted, but it will have to wait. But it looks good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  06:58:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am happy to report that the tomatoes and eggplant seedlings I have under lights in the laundry room have really taken off in the past week! Hope they like it inside, 'cause I'm not planting them out till the rain lets up.

We're forecasted to have ONE day this week without rain!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Amanda!

I spent some quality time in the garden yesterday pulling weeds! It's amazing how tenacious some of thos weeds are!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Alee, come on over to my garden. You should see all my weeds. They do so much better than the plants do. And it will be awhile before I will be able to get the tiller in there. I do not pull weeds. There are just too many of them. I would love to get the flame burner weed thing. I think that would be a great investment for me.

We're having another down pour day here. But the weekend is supposed to be nice. Looking forward to that! I need to go sit out in the sun next time it shows itself. Just soak it up.

I know what ya mean, Amanda. We have only had one day here without rain. But it will be sunny again soon. And dry.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Kristin! Send some of that rain our way! The mountains could use some more snow pack! I miss seeing year-round glaciers on the mountian tops :(

My garden is itty bitty- we don't even have a tiller- though I really want one! Maybe one of these years my husband will surprise me with a tiller!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: