Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  08:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens,

I find myself in Cheney this morning babysitting. That and frothing at the bit to be in my garden,lol. My rhubarb that I planted last year is going NUTS, it's already bigger than the ones I've had for years. I hope to be planting peas next week too. Last year I only planted the ediable pod peas, but this year I'm going to plant those and regular english peas too. Well, talk to y'all later, gotta take the grandbeasties to school :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  09:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh Snow. I just hope the ground is warm enough to prevent a freeze today. Tomorrow is supposed to be 50 again.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile
I sure wish I had rhubarb. I think I might have a few that came up from the seeds. And my tomato seedlings are getting a bit yellow. I guess they need fertilizer? I am not good at seed starting.

I finally got the hosta planted around the maple tree this morning. I dug it all up about 2 weeks ago. My DD kept asking when I was ever going to plant it. I was just looking for the right spot, ok? So that's done. Now it's too hot to do anything out there. It's nearly 85.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  4:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi, yes, we had snow yesterday, must be our leftovers Alee. Kris, I don't think that rhubarb does too well in the hot climates. Do you like rhubarb jam? If you do I'll send you some when I get mine made, it's yummmmmmy on a hot biscuit!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  4:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well the day is ending warm and sunny and the next couple of days should be nice! YAY!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  6:57:51 PM  Show Profile
yes - today's weather was much better!
Lanna - I totally agree about hedging your bets - last year's garden did not happen for me for a variety of reasons, I ended up settling for zucchini and squash and even they froze on July 10th!! so I am going to have enough tomatoes this hear come hell or high water. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a canning fool come the end of August, plus we are going to invest in a dehydrator this year. My husband is funny - he knows full well we need the dehydrator but said something casually about not needing it till fall - what????? Strawberry season is right around the corner, then there's cherries, etc etc. Oh yeah, those old fruits.
Teresa Sue - hope you survive the grandkids today - I'm hoping for some good gardening tomorrow, I made my 3rd trip to the feed/seed store this week today
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  7:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, that looks like the only way I'll get some. So sure, if you have any to spare. It sounds good.

Does rhubarb like some shade or full sun? I know my MIL had a little row at the edge of her garden for years and it got full sun. But she lived on top of a mountain in Tn. It was still hot there. I might just have to order some crowns in the fall maybe.

Grace, I found my dehydrator at a flee market for $5. I love it. I dried everything I could think of last year. The tomatoes dry really good and are great on pizza!

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  07:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace- if your husband wants to wait to buy the dehydrator, you can make your own using the cellulose furnace filters and a box fan.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21121

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  11:12:27 AM  Show Profile
house goes on the market today...wow..then we wait and see. life has been hectic.hope everyone is doing well. ..and having fun with their gardens.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  4:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee - I thought I had seen that on here somewhere
Good luck Tina!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sure Thing, Amy Grace! We are probably going to do that this summer too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  07:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday I planted some BC seeds of Italian Pepperoncini and Burpee hot salsa mix peppers and some cantaloupe indoors. Looks like our spring disappeard for a few days. We're even expecting possibilities of snow this coming week. So hopefully I can at least get a few things going indoors. My tomatoes and thyme are looking good. We just won't have a dining table to eat at for a bit longer. I'm a little worried about the seeds that were already planted outside even though they are suppose to be planted at this time. I've covered the beds with a burlap which should help from the freeze. Come back Spring!

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us Friends.....Maryjanes made us Sisters
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  08:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Gail- if they haven't sprouted above ground yet, they should be okay unless it is a really deep freeze. We got a day of freeze here too after I had planted my peas and beans but they all seem to be doing okay and continuing to grow. They should sprout above ground here in the next day or two!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:31:42 PM  Show Profile
if you planted bell peppers/peppers they typically have to have a warm soil temp. up to 80 degrees to germinate properly. you can start them indoors using a bottom heat mat to help speed germination, but they do rely upon a bit warmer soil to start sprouting.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  07:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Kris, Rhubarb does like the sun, but I know I've seen it do well in part shade too. I believe it is one of those plants that need the cold of winter for it to do it's thing. I can see where it would do well on a mountain. If you are going to try in where you live, I would put it where it gets some shade during the hottest part of the day, also I would mulch it heavy in the summer, for two reasons, rhubarb is a heavy feeder and also the mulch will help keep the roots cool. I think in the winter tho, maybe you would want to pull the mulch away so the plant can be as cold as possiable, I'm not sure what your winters are????? The heat also makes it go to seed so you will have to be vigilant to twist of the big seed pods. Good luck. p.s. don't harvest anything from your plant the first year you have it, and only lightly the second year.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  07:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Teresa- Got the badge- Thanks!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Or plant your rhubarb under a tamarack tree next to the compost pile. They like that. Even when it does get partially shaded in a coolish zone. I haven't dared divide the thin since one plant is more than plenty, I don't need 3 or 4.

Yesterday I weeded the blueberry/blackberry bed, and mulched the blueberry half with a bunch of pine needles. Even planted some peas with the 5.5yo. Ah, success.

Too bad it's overshadowed with the uncertainty of hubby's job and the possibility of us having to move to wherever he might be able to find a better job. You know, not being treated like a slave who's health, life and family are less valuable than dirt. Poor guy put in 74 hours last week. More than the blasted company's owner (the only other person who knows enough about the current projects that hubby's working on). So I'm in freakout mode about having to rip up the garden to sell the house if/when we have to move - food gardens are a liability around here, grass is king.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies! I got some seeds started this weekend for tomatoes and peppers and some herbs. Put the rhubarb in the ground in the newly dug flower bed. Cleaned out the large bed in the front of the house and transplanted some day lilies to the back of the house. I know its the wrong time of year to do that but maybe they will take. I can always plant flowers in front of them. I still have to get taters in the ground and am waiting for the peas to come up. I have radishes sprouting and the onion sets are as well.

Dawn--if I cant get the cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower going I will be buying some of your starts so I hope you have some of those!!!!

Gotta run! Hate going to work and plan on finding a way to stay home. Only need a bit of money to cover my bills that Dh wont pay!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  7:22:59 PM  Show Profile
They are looking good girls.... lookin good.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  3:51:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! Back from my trip to California to visit the boyfriend. This long-distance thing is for the birds.

Lanna - sure hope things work out - I am feeling similar anxieties about maybe moving to California since the bf lost his job and had to move there for his new one. Good that you and your hubby have each other for support.

Raining cats and dogs here in Oklahoma and forcasted to keep thunderstorming for the next, oh, 8 days or so. Who wants to help build an ark?

Seriously, should I be rigging up something to cover my raised beds? I have peas and beans up, and the lettuce is going like gangbusters, I don't want to drown all the seeds I've sown that are (uh, were) probably getting ready to sprout. Thought I might attach to the back frame (SFG with trellis method) and then some stakes in front of the beds, rather than the beds themselves, to make a tent of sorts. Necessary? Or no?

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Lanna - I hope everything is working out for you, uncertainty about jobs and living situations is horrid.
Good to hear from both you and Amanda:D
Well, my husband is working nights again this week so for some reason he doesn't feel like digging (?) I'm hoping we can get a bunch done this weekend, now the chickens are coming tomorrow or Friday so we have to deal with that too, hmmm.
I got a bunch of straw spread on top of newspapers in between the beds we do have dug, so hopefully that will preempt some weed growth - yeah, right, on the other side of the garden I can almost see the weeds growing
The tomato and pepper starts seem to be doing fine, next week I'll start melons and squash and eggplant and hopefully plant potatoes, onions, lettuce and the rest of the cool-weather crops. I feel like I'm behind but there is still snow (a fair amount) on Mica Peak, which is supposed to be the signal, and my big rhubarb plant just did sprout so I don't think I really am too far behind.

Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:08:59 AM  Show Profile
Hooray!!! Last evening I got the raised bed put together and ready to plant! We haven't gardened for years and hubby is adamantly opposed to it, so this year I decided I would do SFG, 4x8 bed, starting small to show him it will work. He went away yesterday for a week so last night I went gangbusters to get it all put together. It's taken me a week to find 5 different composts and the vermiculite, but last night it all came together! Tonight is planting night!!! Maybe I'll have something sprouting by the time he comes home!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Very cool!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
WOW Suzanne, GREAT job! Your hubby will be thrilled when the fresh veggies are available. I think you will like the SQ FT method, I sure do.... very excited for you..

Hey Dawn- how are you doing?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Suzanne-That is so great!

It has decided to snow again today! What's with the spring weather this year? If I remember correctly it was pretty cool last year too. I hope the mountains are getting lots of snow because I know we will need it this summer.

I haven't been out to check on my garden for DAYS and with the recent moisture it is way to wet to do anything with it even if I did go out there. Luckily we have some warm days coming up on the forecast. I just wish they were here already!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: