farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rene', I've printed it out and I'm ready to start my seeds!! Did you see my post about your cold frames? They look really good!! Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  09:45:07 AM  Show Profile
I forget, was anybody here doing winter sowing?
Getting seeds started today is my project with the kids... we'll see how it goes in the 40* garage (no, I'm not willingly going to bring a 5-gallon bucket of dirt into the house, sorry).

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  09:56:02 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Lanna I winter sow. I already have things toeat from the garden/greenhouse. Yesterday and today are seed starting days for me.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  10:03:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Lilly

Yes, Lanna I winter sow. I already have things toeat from the garden/greenhouse. Yesterday and today are seed starting days for me.

What have you had success with and what's flopped? This is mine and the kids' first year playing around with it... yesterday they were beside themselves that mommy was attacking empty milk jugs.

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I started some heirloom lettuce, tomatoes, and Italian pepperoncini indoors today. Our weather should be warm enough in a few weeks to plant them outside. Cheryl and I are gonna go look at a garden that was offered to us for our heirloom seeds. We hope to plant enough for our local farmers market and do some canning. Wish us luck.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
mbr. Charming Chicks
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone seen any of the writeups about First Lady Obama's vegetable garden? There's mention of heirlooms, starting from seed, growing unusual varieties, beekeeping on the premesis, White House compost!

LOVE IT!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html?th&emc=th

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  1:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Lanna,

I've got some half gallon milk jugs going, and some winter sowing with just dirt in a ziploc bag, and some with dirt in yogurt cups inside of ziploc bags, and some salad containers, etc...

LOVE the milk jugs! And the plants seem to love them too. Hate the yogurt cups, won't be doing that again, but BF saved and saved them and I didn't want to hurt his feeligns so I gave them a whirl. They just don't hold enough dirt.

So far, everything I winter sowed on the first go-round has sprouted, and all of it looks happy. I now have seedlings of pumpkins, hollyhocks, basil, rudibeckia, spinach, butterhead lettuce, peas, green beans, summer squash, broccoli raab, thyme, butternut squash, and cukes like crazy.

I will say that teh basil I put in the yogurt cups looks much happier than the basil in the milk jug, which might be airflow, but it might also be that it's not that warm yet and the yogurt cup basil seeds were fresher and from different supplier.

All my seeds from Botanical Interests and Baker Creek have sprouted up like champs!

My only fear is that the unseasonably warm weather we've been having will have them ready to transplant before the raised beds are ready for them. On that side of the house they get full sun in summer but right now they don't quite get as much sun because the sun's still too low in the sky. Cross fingers for me!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  5:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies! Just got my internet connected at the new house! I have a nice place to put in a garden that will get sun all day! I am so excited. I can't wait for the ground to dry up a little bit so I can turn the earth and start preparing! Maybe next year we will build raised beds!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  6:45:18 PM  Show Profile
I sowed a bunch of stuff last saturday, and already have 2 or three inch tall tomatoes and cauliflower!!! it's like they're on steroids or something!!....lol.....I'm gonna winter sow a bunch more this weekend....lol....more like spring sow now....and the only things i have left are my heirloom flowers, I'm just gonna start them indoors because of the chickens...I'm afraid they'll devour the little seedlings if I wait until I can sow them outdoors...I found a local seed swap organization here, and hopefully it will work out! All the forums and stuff that I see online never return emails????? So I gave up on them. hopefully this organization will be more "active"...lol....

Amanda...How are your seedlings doing that were covered in fuzzies?
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Cheryl and I picked up some more heirloom seeds at our local nursery. We even got some onion sets and we did go look at the garden offered us and its huge. We are definetly going to be busy gardening this year. On top of the one we are sharing with a few people we will also have one at our own homes. Nothing but organics and heirlooms this year. Our farmers market is out for us, at least this year until we see what we can produce. It is very political in my opinion. License for this and that type of thing. Anyway, gonna be digging in the dirt in about a week. Time to start rototillering my garden.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
mbr. Charming Chicks
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever tried the sweet mini peppers? I bought some organic ones and dried the seeds from one. I planted them today in cups. I am not sure if they are hybrid or not. But they are so good. I can't get enough of them.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Gail and Cheryl, sounds like you two are going to be busy in the dirt. What will ya'll do with all the produce if you don't go to the market? The only rules we have at our market is we have to grow everything ourselves on our property. And we have to live here in Walker Co. or any county touching this one. Only meat people have to be USDA inspected and processed in USDA inspected plants.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  8:02:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Has anyone ever tried the sweet mini peppers? I bought some organic ones and dried the seeds from one. I planted them today in cups. I am not sure if they are hybrid or not. But they are so good. I can't get enough of them.

If they're mini (red) bell peppers, they're cute, and do decent. Despite a cool climate and crazy weather last year, my mini bells did almost better than my California Wonder bells. I won't have a problem with my winter-sown stuff yet... I'm just barely getting them all planted, and I think we're headed for another chill snap anyway. At least we only have a foot of compacted snow in parts of the yard and I'm starting to see ground again...

I'm still skeptical about the whole White House organic garden. I don't know that I'd be out breaking sod in expensive-looking clogs and nice clothes, but that's just me. Photo op I suppose.
And I'm wondering how they're going to keep it/have it organic. Don't they use a bunch of stuff (chemicals? pesticides?) to keep the WH grounds looking so perfect all the time? And I didn't realize that DC had a long enough growing season for a spring and summer planting, but hey, what do I know.

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  8:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, We will have the charming chicks chapter all working the garden & share the produce. Can it, freeze it, and if there is extra we will give it to the food bank. We may sell some from our homes too. And end of harvest we will give to either the elderly or food bank. We hope to have 5 families sharing in this "garden plot" We will be preserving a lot of it..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

You never know when what you say or do will make a difference...Kerry Kennedy
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  8:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cheryl and Gail...it sounds so wonderful!!! I envy that ya'll hit it off and have beccome farmgirl partners in crime..lol... I've been here 3 months and still haven't met a soul! I stopped at a garge sale yesterday and the gal running it and I talked for atleast 1/2 hour, and of course I was all MaryJane this and MaryJane that, and we talked about gardening, her orchard and sewing, and she was super sweet, but there was no exchange of #'s, and no real apparent intrest in MJF...I just don't get it???? I've always been a very social person, just don't understand not being able to strike up an interest in MJF with anyone I run into...I think it has alot to do with the infinite excuse of "I just don't have the time for one more "thing" in my schedule"...seems like even in this laid back, rural area I live in, so many folks are still caught up in the rat race....But I'm trying to stay optimistic! Surely I can find just one other Farmgirl soul in this county!!! LOL!!

hey Kristin...can I use some of that garden space you have???>>> LOL!! LOL!!!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  06:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Keellllyyy, you found meeeeeeee! (whiney voice)

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight."
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  5:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Hey chickies. I guess I've been out of the loop as well - or maybe it's just loopy. We had a great visit with Dawn last weekend and this weekend I have been sicker than a dog. Guess last weekend was the best choice for a roadtrip. I lost my voice, somebody needs to invent an off switch for sinuses (sp) and I really can't quit coughing.
HOWEVER, I didn't let it keep me down the whole weekend. I got some fresh air yesterday and today and started a bunch of seeds. I used soup cans, peat pots (old ones I had purchased a long time ago and never used), and some carry-out trays that have clear lids (mini green houses). Lance and I built a cold frame after he saw Dawn's ( I think he was jealous - hee hee)
We are up to 55 new chicks with 20 or 25 more due in May. We bought some at Rural King (Lance couldn't stand it - he saw them and had to have more even though we had just picked up 27 from Dawn) We thought we were getting Aracanas, but after we got them home, I just kept saying they were so small. Hmmm turns out they were Bantams. So on our next trip to Muncie to see my brother, Lance just had to stop in the R.K. again to see if they had Aracanas. Sure enough, so 10 more came home. So far we have lost 2 Banties. I don't know why. They were doing fine then they get all wobbly and weak.

Dawn, Marge is doing fine. She seems to be ruling her clique. I still say she looks like Kramer. Funny.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am heading over the henhouse to finalize the tees. Like Dawnzo said the initial cost is coming out of my pocket, not the fund and any extra $$$ will go to the fund to help buy seeds next year and maybe a sisterhood membership for someone in need.

Love and hugs,

Lora

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  6:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Daaaawwwnnnn.....Silly girl....I meant, here, in this little po-dunk town!!!! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings! I had pretty good weekend concidering my 2 YO son broke my nose at 8:30 am Friday morning!!!!! OK...A doctor has not said it's broken, but judging by the PAIN and bruising, I'd say it's atleast CRACKED!!!! LOL!!

Ok, I'm giggling now, but I sure wasn't when it happened! Anyhow, planted 2 bare root roses and a BEAUTIFUL Mandevilla vine today, and potted up almost all of my seedlings...weeded some flower beds, transplanted some stuff...just all kinds of things. hope everyone else had a good weekend!!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  8:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Boy am I sore....
Today I planted 50 strawberry starts, 4 huckleberry bushes, 25 onion starts, sunflower seeds, and my cold frame with Lettuce... I also dug out some of the old dirt in my planter boxes and replaced with Mel's Mix.. We had a very beautiful day here..... I hope spring has truly "sprung"...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  9:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey Rene! Wow you have done a lot! Want to come work at my place?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:03:35 PM  Show Profile
have been super duper busy, but I'll be available for chat tomorrow night at 8 if anyone wants to join me.hope to see some of you there.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  08:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
You so know I would in a heart beat if you were just a little closer.

Tina.. I hope to be there, going to set the timer now.... :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  08:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Man, everybody's been busy!

I got my lettuce, rapini, and a few other things transplanted yesterday. Doesn't seem that long ago that I was agonizing over whether or not to winter sow these things, and now I am wondering how many plants I can give away!!!

Went to the hardware store yesterday and was perusing the outdoor garden section - they've started to put plants out - let me just say I was happily suprised and encouraged that all of their flowering plants were grown in nearby Ada, OK and tagged as such, rather than some anonymous plants from God-knows-where. Hooray for Ace buying local! A step in the right direction.

Everybody have a fantastic day.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  09:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Amanda! I hope you told someone in the store!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  11:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi! I finally got my hands in the dirt. Started all my cold plants..broc, cabbage and such and onions from seed. Also stopped at the nursery and got onion sets (just for backup--never did onions from seed) and taters. Cant wait to get those in the ground. The cold frame isnt doing too hot. Think its still a bit cold here yet.

Kristen and Corinne I havent forgotten about the seeds and will send them asap.

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page