Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  5:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Also, there is no commandment that we "have" to decorate a table at BBB.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  6:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Amen. And Halleluya... or however its spelled. I really think we are just too big to keep track of it all, all of us together doing a small part will lead up to a larger outcome.

NO TABLE DECORATING? WHAT? AND NOT STRESS OUT OVER SOMETHING? hahaha. Fine by me. I have a little cross stitched plaque that says " I can't relax, stress is what's holding me together" I love it.

I am so sorry that some of you have written me feeling "intimated" or "overwhelmed" by us MAvens.... That was never the case. This is a huge chapter. A great chapter. We just need to let it be what it will be. With or without titles, positions, offices, etc etc. Heck, just come to Spring FLing and lets have FUN!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com

"In seed time, learn. In harvest, teach, and in winter, enjoy" Wm. Blake
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  6:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Well I've just been catching up on the last four pgs since I was here last and my head was spinning until I read what Tina wrote and everyone started to agree, whooooshhhhh. Thank goodness. Simple is for me as my memory is as long as my blink. And when spring finally gets here, I to will spend all my time outside. Today I laid out the area to start a new chicken coop and cleaned out my other one. You get a warmer, sunny day around here you grab outside projects while you can.
Hope the simple plan can get put in effect and for me, easy to follow. And yeah.........can't wait for the BBB.

Gail
farmgirl #486
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  6:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, I just meant intimidating because there are over 300 pages. I love what you all are doing here and I just wanted to be a part of this, too. So I guess I should have worded it a little different. Sorry. I am not intimidated at all. Not me. Nor will I be overwhelmed, either. I am honored to be a member of the Mavens and sure wish I could be at the BBB get together and meet everyone. It sounds like so much fun. I hope there will be lots of pictures to share.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  7:07:49 PM  Show Profile
Is anyone else suffering from soil depravation? I have a really bad case, and since I've been corrupting a few of my friends to either try gardening or expand their gardens this year, I found out it can be VERY CONTAGIOUS!

Symptoms:
Long sad sighs while gazing at empty (or even snow covered) garden beds
Tears of joy when seeds arrive from friends, SSE, Baker Creek, etc.
Repetitive behaviors - redoing seed inventory and planting lists, re-diagramming garden layouts, etc.
Outbursts of "That danged frost date can't come soon enough"
Staring and drooling over shovels, spades and other new garden tools at Home Depot (by the way, you should see the puddle in front of my keyboard LOL)

Anyway, thought this would give you all a good chuckle to start your weekend! And yes, not only am I a stashaholic, but now I suffer from extreme soil depravation - I NEED MY DIRT!

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

"We are all better for contact and companionship with other people. We need such contact to polish off the rough corners of our minds and our manners, but it is a pitiful thing when anyone cannot, if necessary, stand by himself sufficient to himself and in good company even though alone." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  7:09:21 PM  Show Profile
I agree that we don't necessarily need all the roles we have, I have enjoyed the newsletter - it is good to have all the news condensed, etc. as we post so darn much, but I totally understand that Karen can't continue to devote all that time to it.
I was thinking of the "Badge Badger" as more of a resource position so if anyone has questions about what books are for badges (I have a list I can e-mail) or questions about who has done which badges I could answer those - I think it would be way too hard for any/all of us to commit to doing a badge all at the same time. If y'all feel okay about that definition of "badger" I will keep the title - if not let me know, and we will eliminate it.
I agree that it is overwhelming sometimes - I feel out of the loop when I'm gone to work for the day, I can't even imagine what everyone will get up to when I'm on vacation:) I think the important thing though, is the community that we have created and if we keep that as our focus it doesn't matter who shows up on a given day/week/month - we are all in it for the good of the seeds and biodiversity and life on earth!!
Karen - I will miss hearing your voice as often as I have been privileged to, but it will make it all the more special when you do post. I know that as soon as the ground thaws I will be spending minimal time on the computer, but I want to maintain our connections too.
Teresa Sue - what a cool surprise, totally cheered me up and I can't wait to meet you in person. And thank your lucky stars you have not gone back into classroom management, oh, I'm sorry, I meant retail management:)
Dawn and all, I will definitely say "see ya later" before I go.
Good night all
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  03:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
The final edition of the newsletter is out there. It's been a blast, mavens!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  04:54:39 AM  Show Profile
Okay, after about 20 emails and a long, sleepless night. I have decided to sit in my coop and lay an egg..... I'll be tired after pushing this whopper thru, so I'm signing off for the wknd afterwards and will see you in the chicken yard next week.

ANN: I LOVE THAT!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  06:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Kris: I apologize for mistaking your meaning on intimidation.

AG: I agree with you take on the badgebadger being a resource only thing.
AND I completely agree about Karen not doing the newsletter because of time restraints and other priorities.

What I guess I dont understand is WHY we have to have these things...period. Tina makes a valid point. We are all grown women who have other priorities in life. Why cant we just do our own thing and leave it at that?

Maybe I took things out of context. I'm sure that I did in some respects. But when I get emails that one or two person(s) is not posting because the mavens are all over the place/chaotic/ too structured/too time consuming.... what am I to think?

I'm backing off for awhile. I'm upset. I'm hurt. I'm a littled ticked off. No one here is to blame, honest injun.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  06:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Amy I think that's a great idea about the badgebadger, after all that title actually was just a bunch of funnin around so I think your def is right on. I can't wait to meet you either. The weather is getting better so it will be soon :^)

Karen thanks for the newsletters, now, go play in the dirt, hehehe

Dawn, take a deep breath, awwww doesn't that feel better? Ha!!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 28 2009 09:02:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:07:30 AM  Show Profile
I think a Group Hug is in order....((((((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))))

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  12:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree with all that has been said here.

Thank you, Tina for stating it so well.

It is a relief. We will all need our time to grow our seeds and care for our gardens. We can't do that if we are tied to our computers.

Thinking of all of you. It's been busy here. Stacking two cords of wood today and running errands.

We are expecting snow tonight, on and off, until Monday. I am definitely suffering from soil deprivation.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  3:07:07 PM  Show Profile
YIPPY SKIPPY! YIPPY SKIPPY! YIPPY SKIPPY!!!! Teresa Sue, I got the seeds you sent.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!!! I'm a seed hound just as bad as I'm a fabric hound!!!!! I can't wait to get them in the ground....and it will be interesting to see how each others are doing by seasons end.....with soil differences and climate differences...Kind of like our own little maven experiment!!!! Because maybe the Sucrine Du Berry Squash will thrive under your conditions, but not mine, and vise versa with the tomatoes and melons.......How exciting!!!!! i just can't wait to see......and did I say thank you teresa sue?.......lol......Ok...thank you one more time!!!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Ok Mavens......the seeds came in from Emilee Gettle at Baker Creek Seeds, and I am fixing to post the list....but please just email me with what you want, so that we are not clogging up the thread!!! , plus, that way I won't loose someones request.....Also, dropping Emilee and email to say thank you would be really great!! She was very generous with the seed....I only requested about 10 items....and she sent almost 30!!! That was so farmgirl of her!!!

Also, keep in mind that there are only a few seeds of somethings because that is how they package them....so next to the variety I will post how many seeds are available, and will try to keep it updated for ya'll.....have fun!! And don't forget to tell Emilee thank you!!!
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  3:26:51 PM  Show Profile
HERBS

Lemon Balm - 5 seeds
Soapwort - 80 seeds
Bee Balm - 5 seeds
Sweet Annie - 180 seeds
Thai Sweet Basil - 30 seeds

Flowers

Sunflower, Mexican Torch - 15 seeds
Sunflower, Mammoth Grey Striped - 5 seeds

Fruit

Banana Melon - 5 seeds
Watermelon, Cream of Saskatchewan - 10 seeds
Tigger Melon - 10 seeds

Vegatables

Okra, Sixteen Inch Long Pod - 5 seeds
Okra, Pitre's Short Bush Red Cowhorn - 10 seeds
Eggplant Ping Tung - 15 seeds

Tomato, Great white - 5 seeds
Pumkin, Rouge vif d'Etampes - 15 seeds
Pumkin, Amish Pie - 5 seeds
Squash, Sweet Dumpling - 5 seeds
Cucumber, Poona Kheera - 5 seeds

Beet, Bulls Blood - 30 seeds
Cauliflower, Violetta Italia - 40 seeds

Edited by - farmmommy on Mar 03 2009 8:38:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  4:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kelley! I emailed you and I emailed Emilee Gettle and told her thanks too!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
P.S. Make sure you save some seed for you!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  6:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow girl, you hit the motherload. I will email you later. Make sure that everyone else's request is filled first okay?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  6:28:44 PM  Show Profile
I just want to apologize to everyone if I've given anyone cause to feel left out or uncomfortable here the past day and a half... Its been an extremely stressful past 3 days personally and professionaly and it's cost me a very dear friendship. Life carries on and I will forge ahead in my quest to be a heirloom maven in the best and most honorable way from here on out.

All of you mean so very much to me. Its a famial extention for me. I hope everyone enjoys the new "relaxed mode" of maven-dom.

See you in the henhouse! If I'm not molting......

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  6:37:13 PM  Show Profile
get thee hence to some sunshine thou molting chicken!and with haste... it shall do thee well.(Farmgirl Shakesphearean prose here..don't ya just love it!..hee hee!) and..chin up gal..we love you. hugs.
so very very sorry to hear about the friendship loss..that stinks!..but life brings people into our lives for sometimes only a few seasons and for varying reasons...it never feels good to part ways..but sometimes things work out that way from no fault of our own. again..big hugs.
---------
I wanted to say..my sincere apologies if anyone here took anything I posted as offensive..it was not meant to offend in any way..but to hopefully try to help bring us back around to a simpler and less hectic way of going about things here.hugs to you all and I truly hope no one here is offended at me for piping up and stating my feelings.
hugs to you all.
------------

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  6:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I was wondering how much for a few of the swiss chard seeds. We have such a short season here and chard grows pretty easy. This will be my first year with heirloom seeds. If this is just for an exchange maybe you know of a great reliable source I could purchase seeds from.
Thanks
Gail
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Baker Creek heirloom Seeds or Seed Savers Exchange are my two favorite.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:30:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what to say - it seems like there was a lot going on that I had no idea about which makes me feel kind of dumb, since I was here the whole time. I thought all we were doing was sort of hanging out, chatting when we had time, and looking forward to gardening season and maybe meeting in person if it ever came about.
I certainly think that the maven cause is worth fighting for - I have been working with and for organics/sustainability/biodiversity etc. for a long time. It has influenced my choice of career and education and I'm glad to know a group of people who care as well.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace I feel the exact same way. I thought we were just chatting back and forth, I didn't realize anyone had their panties in a twist about anything. I never read anything that I thought someone would be mad about????? I guess I'm just clueless????

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Don't worry, we'll still look forward to gardening and meeting. Hopefully it's just cabin fever, :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page