Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  9:59:28 PM  Show Profile
one thing that I saw that can be used to "isolate" the flower from being pollinated, is to use the small drawstring muslin bags/like spice bags to cover the plants. Southern Seed Exchange offers them in their catalog.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  01:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mavens, a lot of great ideas around.
Kelley please let me know if I can help you with the Seed Bank, I would be very happy to pitch in and help.
I've emailed Amy Grace, we won't be able to go to Paris, it is Spring break here in France and we haven't been able to get any affordable train or air ticket. I am SO disappointed. But we will get to chat on the phone.
Going out to check the Coop.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  05:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm not giggling...I am cying, peeing in my pants and just wiped a bit of snot off my nose.....Turd burgers?.....Dawn, I think we may REALLY be related!!! LMAO!!! When we were kids we used to make our version of Sonic's footlong cheese coneys....and we called them "Footlong Fartin' Franks!.....of course because of the chili with beans that we would dump on top of them!!!!...LMAO!!!!

Ok....for real.....where should i start with the seed bank? Do ya'll already have a list in the henhouse? I checked karens "form" and really like it....very thorough....Two Texas Thumbs Up Kare - Bear!!! I just won't be able to post over there until I'm part of "da hood"!!....lol.....I crack myself up....lol.....ahhhh hahahaha!!.....(too much coffee already this AM!)

Thanks Corinne.....So sorry you won't get to go to Paris! What a bummer!

Have any of you already started seeds? I have....but the things I've already started aren't part of my "heirloom" stuff.....the cabbage and broccoli don't count because I have already given up on them....and the onions and potatoes came from someone local and I don't know what kind they are.......Why am I typing all of this crap?
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:37:12 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, I too think we've been seperated at birth!

Work is awful today.... I just wanna go home. WAHHHHH!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com

"In seed time, learn. In harvest, teach, and in winter, enjoy" Wm. Blake
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  11:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens!! I have a list of all the seeds that everyone has posted in the HenHouse. So I think that is the beginning of the seed bank since we didnt really as a group combine seed orders. So that list can be updated at the end of the growing season as to what we actually have for trade. I dont have a problem keeping up with the Bank list if everyone posts to the same spot. So far it has been a bit haphazard with some posts in here and some there. I wont be able to take the mail position becuase my time on the internet is very limited.

I think that it is awesome that we are spreading the word. There are so many people who are doing the same things we are and then there are those who aren't....great job to everyone who shares a bit of Maven Wisdom!!!

Dawn--I am so glad you got your ticket!!!!! Funds are very low for me but I havent given up hope!!

To everyone else----happy garden dreams!!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  11:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Sorry Dawn, methinks you should have chicken and noodles tonight to get even, ;^) Do you want those old bottles?

Guess what Mavens......I gave my notice at the cafe today and I am doin' the happy dance, wooohooo. But y'all know, well the newbies don't, that I go back to the cemetery next week. I'm ready tho, I am tierd of being housebound. For all you newbies, I am the groundskeeper at our little local cemetery March thru October. I just couldn't do another summer working two jobs, I'm too old for that anymore, yikes!!

Corinne I'm so sorry for you and Amy Grace!!!Darn she was so looking forward to meeting you as I'm sure you were her. Are you getting settled in yet?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  11:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Dawn...I'm so sorry that you are having a ucky day, but I promise I'm thinking of you while I'm in and out in this beautiful sunny 75 degree weather swiching between haning lavender smelling laundry on the line and watching my naked babies run around in the yard laughing and picking daffodils, and sitting in my sewing room with the windows open and the curtains blowing in the breeze, jamming to Alanis Morriset while sewing some cute little gifts and drinking Sangria and snaking on Hershey Kisses....I swear,,,,I REALLY am thinking of you and wishing you and Kare Bear where here with me!!!
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile
ok, for real, I seriously am doing all of the things I said above except for drinking the Sangria.....I'll have to wait til later to do that...I don't have a very high tolerance for wine anymore....two glasses, and I'm Drunk!! So on the occasions that I do partake, I have to wait until evening hours (closer to bedtime!!!).....But if any of you were here with me today in this BEAUTIFUL weather, I might make an acception with the Sangria!!!.....LOL
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Dawn~Turd burgers~now there's a thought that sticks with you even when you don't want it too. Sorry work is horrible.

Kelley~I would love to help too. I have alot to learn but I think I can handle keeping lists of what others are planting and saving seeds from. I'm sure Dawn is feeling much better knowing that you're thinking of her while enjoying your day. LOL

I must say I am a bit intimidated by trying to save seeds. I'm afraid that I will mess up and something will get cross pollinated. I need to find something easy to start with this first year. I don't think we can do the isolation cages.

Happy Belated Birthday, Denise!!!

Amy Grace~I am sending out your scarf tomorrow.

Corrine~I am glad to hear that you arrived in France well. Are you all settled in now. I still have those Victoria magazines to send you. Didn't forget just haven't had a chance. Could you please email me your address again~or is it on our list. I wasn't sure if that was your new one.

It has been so busy here. The kids have activities on Tuesday (art), Wednesday (gym) and Thursday~all day coop classes. I just want to stay home and get things done.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile
hey ruth...lol......Dawn will probably use bad words towards me when she reads that....lol....And, from all the books I've read...beans are supposed to be the easiest to save seeds from...gosh...i was just reading something giving like the top 10 easiest heirloom beans to save seeds from...I'll find it today and get back to you with it!!!

OMG!!!! BTW Ruth...you should be getting a package from me anytime now.....but it won't be your mag, because I sent them to my MIL!!!!!.....so you will be recieving a package of embroidery thread!!!! Your mags are now on their way back to me....and if you don't mind.....please just ask your postman to "return to sender" when you get that!!!!! And......when your mags get back to me........they'll.....be on their way back to you!!! Gosh......and me and Dawn were just talking about this bartering too much stuff at one time stuff last night.....LMAO!!!! Sorry Ruth.....you have to understand....that this is just how I am....ALL THE TIME....urg!!! sometimes I get on my own nerves!!!....LOL
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Ruth--there are easy seeds to save like cucumbers and squashes and corn, peppers are easy too!! I am only going to plant one variety of each thing because I dont want to worry about crossing anything. You might surprise yourself at just how much you can do!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi-
Home Mom: Why don't you try saving seeds from tomatoes? One way to insure pollination from the same tomato is to buy those meshey (or some kind of breathable fabric) drawstring bags (like you put wedding favors in)and when the flowers are still closed find 2 that are close together on the plant and put the drawstring bag over them and tighten the drawstring. You can take them off when you see the tomato forming. Tie string or use garden tape to mark where they are. When they're fully ripe and ready, cut them open scoop the gooey middle out place in a jar or plastic cup cover with water. Use plastic wrap with a few holes as a cover. Place in a warm location like a sunny window and now you wait till they ferment. There will be a thick scum and maybe a little mold on the surface. The seeds that are floating aren't any good. Scoop the scum and any floating seeds out of the jar and then strain the remaining liquid and seeds into a strainer rinsing off any excess pulp. Spread the seeds out to dry on newspaper or a paper plate. When they're dry, place them in an airtight container. Store in a dry cool place. Don't forget to label what they are and date them.

Jessi Lynn
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:04:28 PM  Show Profile
I have to look into the bags for the tomatoes. That sounds easy enough.

Well,Kelley~not a problem. I have about 10 packages going out this week. I hope I keep them all straight and don't forget any. I am planting beans so that should be easy. Watch out before Dawn sends you a big boot to kick you with.

Thanks for your help ladies!!

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Man Kelley, we got about 4 inches of wet heavy snow last night, wahhhhhhh, I wanna live in Texas.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile
oh, TS......Come on down....it's 3:30 pm and 82 degrees and not a cloud in the sky!!!!

Hello Jessi Lynn....welcome to MJF!!!! Seems like you're familiar with seed saving...have you been doing it long? I did what you just described with some tomato seeds 2 seasons ago...but the tomatoes were from a friend of a friends garden, and turns out they must have been hybrids....because they just didn't produce hardly any fruit and the fruit that did come off the bush was bitter no matter how ripe I let them get!!!...lol....trial and error baby!!!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  3:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Okay who's with me on choking Kelley? I think i'm going to send you a pic on your phone of a certain finger.... JUST KIDDING! I'm sending one of me mooning you. YEAH! TAKE THAT! Lol....

Hi Jessi Lynn, nice to have you hear, and I like that tomato idear. Ruth it'll be a piece of cake.

For everyone's info... turd burgers are delicious. Tastes like a hamburger.... in a roll....

Okay, I'm beat. I'm outta here. Today was full of people calling in to report dead birds. I knew having a hatch date of 2/23 was too early.... man, were people mad! I was called a peon (sp) today..... sniff sniff.... he hurt my feelers.

Kelley, my vehicle can only handle a 10 foot trailer or less. I dont have a truck, but me thinks I can pull a teardrop with my Equinox.

HAve a great night girls. I will be evilly scheming on how to get back at Kelley at spring fling for rubbing her "great weather" in my face. Hmmm..... she's sleeping outside in a tent right????

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  3:47:49 PM  Show Profile
TS: Yesh on the bottles.

And I need to email you. I just wanna make sure I'm not putting you out at all that week and if you need to work, I can hang out, read, make you dinner... whatever! I dont wanna be a pain!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
YOU! A PAIN? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! giggle~snort

Works cool. I'll want to put out my big flags on the 4th of Jul-eye, but the beauty of being a one woman departmant and the boss to boot, is I can arrange my schedule to work for me. I'll probably have to do some mowing and give haircuts, cause I'll want the cemetery to be be-uteful for the holiday, but you can come to the cemetery with me and bring a book. It's beautiful with a 360 degree view of the rolling hills of the palouse. Hey, I'll bring my binoculers and you can see who alls in their tractors and what they are doing, hehehe......unless you are one of those who find cemeteries unsettling. Or you can hang out at the house, or maybe there would be another local Maven you can hang out with for a day.....whatever.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 26 2009 4:02:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Maven friends, ... I am sorry to do this, but taking on the book club coordinator duty is a bit overwhelming for me, I feel there must be someone more suited to do this among my sisters here. I have so much to learn and am so busy trying to get my chapter growing. I have read Carrots love Tomatoes and other books on organic gardening..I am really behind a lot of you in this gardening stuff...and would appreciate somebody taking over this role.ASAP.. Please forgive me I just don't think I can take it on right now, there is too much for me to learn and I want to know it all right now... one of my biggest short comings.. that I am working on...Thank you, I hope you understand. I love MJ forums and want to keep up with being a sister.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
No problem Cheryl, if no one else wants to do it, I'll take it back. We won't be taking on as much on the property because we are going to move over by Cheney.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mavens - yes very disappointing to not get to meet Corinne in person next week:( Maybe on my next trip (yes I am already planning one:), it may be years but I will go again)
Other than that not much to say, work continues to be horrid although I had a nice break from the personnel issues today so I should be able to muddle through.
Ruth, your book should go out tomorrow, I have been overwhelmed but am gaining ground!!
Teresa Sue - yes this snow just blows, and I don't mean in the wind either. Driving to work this morning was just plain yucky, and all that nice melting we had looks like it didn't even happen.
Heavy sigh.....
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Teresa Sue.. I really hate throw it back so soon & to quit before I really begin but.. Better early than later.. I will participate as much as possible..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Amy Grace,
Sorry work is so awful. Yes, it's a bummer about not getting to see Corinne. Think of planning a weekend to read all the magazines you'll be getting soon :^)
I almost accepted a produce mgr position at my SIL's store in Cheney. Thank God!, I didn't take it. It made me tense just thinking about it. Whew!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 26 2009 4:16:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
No prob, Cheryl, forge on!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay, Amy Grace, this was going to be a surprise, but you need cheering up. I also have a vintage 1930's sundress and, I think, 1940's lambswool/angora beaded sweater for you. :^)
Love ya

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page