Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I have peas cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, rhubarb, cabbage, onion, peas, and I think something else...cant remember but these are all my heirlooms for now!!!! Which would you like??

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  1:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello farmgals
Just poppin in to say hello. Doing clean up today here in the house, laundry, etc. Hope you all are enjoying yur Tuesday.
Why is there so much laundry after you comehome from a trip.. I didn't remember changing my clothes so often. Oh yeah I didn't wash my bedding before I left.. so DH tossed it inthe washer while I was at my Dr appointment this morning.. Oh there goes the buzzer.. tata

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  2:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Wee Willies......hmmmmmm......that name conjures up sooooo many funny things that I'm just lettin' it fly on by, LOL!

Thanks bunches Rene' for the packet :^) What a nice surprise to come home to, the book plate is great.

Karen the weekend with the grandbeasties was fabu. I don't know if it was them or the sheetrock hanging that did me in, but I'm draggin' today, maybe both!

It's been raining, raining, the snow is melting, melting, yea!!!!! When I left for work at 5:15am it was 37 degrees. Woohoo. I don't think I'll have to wait for the Ides of March to break Winter's back this year, knock on wood, lol

Well, it's cold here in the office so I guess I'll go bake a goodie to go with tea.

ttfn, Maven dears ;^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  2:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Amanda I forgot about those pumpkins, ooooh, so exciting, just like Christmas morn, lol

Everyone who is getting seeds and packages, they will go out this week for sure.

Corinne, so glad to hear you are in France!!!!

Hi Annika*waving*:^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  2:50:23 PM  Show Profile
My mouth is sore today... after a tooth cleaning, I got a crown impression done. My poor gums. And the temporary is too high now after they put it back on, so I get to juggle the kids with hubby who has the audacity to be off at work (so we can pay for said dentist!).

Sorry if you gals read my blog much, I have to lockdown for a while. If you're curious/voyeuristic let me know and I could walk you through getting your own account so I can friend you.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Marcy: Um... what kind of onions? Maybe some peas as I planted mine too early and they are about 6" tall RIGHT NOW.... I know, I'm a dork.

Hows everyone been? Me? Tired. Last night I was too tired to eat, so I went to bed and was fast asleep by 8:30 and I'm still yawning. Last year the hatchery experienced a 32% business increase and yesterday was our first hatch and we are already up 20%...no rest for the weary!

Sorry I've been so quiet. After being on the phone/computer all day long, it's tough to get up enough motivation to be on it at home. Tomorrow is supposed to be 50 degrees here and I've got work to do in the barn so I will not be online again. I do miss you all and have been lurking.

As for the t-shirts, I completely understand about the style preference, however, the out of pocket cost for a generic tee vs. a fitted is about $10, I'm really sorry and maybe at some time we can figure something out.

Okay, I'm off to the coop. Nitey nite girls.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
[h6]
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com

"In seed time, learn. In harvest, teach, and in winter, enjoy" Wm. Blake
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Aw, don't be sorry, it's not a biggie. I don't necessarily buy fitted tees, but I usually get one with a v neck cause I'm big busted and I need to break up all that area!LOL Just don't need anything else to make me look even boxier,ha

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:56:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife

Aw, don't be sorry, it's not a biggie. I don't necessarily buy fitted tees, but I usually get one with a v neck cause I'm big busted and I need to break up all that area!LOL Just don't need anything else to make me look even boxier,ha

Amen to that! I'm not necessarily big busted (more average I think?), but my shoulders/chest are those that would make a football coach proud - I'm built more like a linebacker than a girl in that regard. And the kids still managed to stretch out my ribcage over the years.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  6:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Mmmhmmm - I cannot wear a men's t-shirt, I just look ridiculous. Not that I am a fashion queen and look fabulous in women's, but some things just shouldn't be!!
Amanda - have fun on Rt 66 - I love the old stuff too and am envious of your night in the tipi!!
Karen - thank you for the fondue recipes!! What a nice surprise.
Ruth, Dawn and Tina - book and seeds will go in the mail this week - events have conspired against me being functional but I will get it together before I leave, really I promise.
The snow is melting here - it rained yesterday and today and almost all of our back yard is uncovered!!!! That means when I get back I will be able to play in the dirt maybe, oh I'm so excited.
Okay, DH and DS are at a college basketball game so I am going to go take a bath then it's TV night ( I will be thinking of you TS:))
All the muscles in my butt hurt - this is a new-this-month symptom of PMS, what next I ask you??
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  6:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah, Gibbs baby, LOL

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  04:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DENISE
(I think I got the date right this time.......)

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Feb 25 2009 04:25:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  05:15:39 AM  Show Profile
Aww, thanks Karen. So sweet of you.
Marcyjo, thank you for the sweet birthday card.
I wrote Corinne and told her I need to pop over here and see what the Mavens are up to. I am about 12 pages behind but I only get about enough time to check my email anymore.
Hope everyone is having fun preparing for their gardens.
I miss you all and I'll try to get caught up as soon as I can.
God bless.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  05:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Happy birthday Denise!!
Morning Kare-Bear.....Everything is ok.....just CRAZY BUSY right now and stressed out!
I hope amanda has a good time on her trip!
Amy Grace - I have a tipi, you should come down and we'll set it up for ya and you can spend a couple of nights in it!
I have a question.....are we each going to be saving seeds from just a couple of Heirlooms each for the seed bank? Because with all the different heirloom tomatoes and squash I'll be doing this year, it looks like I will have to have a BUNCH of iso cages...was just wondering....
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  06:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Happy birthday Denise :^) !!

You know Kelley I think each of us can make it as easy or as difficult as we want, depending on how much effort we feel like putting forth. Easy as in just growing one variety of each or many varieties and doing all that is required to keep the seed pure and documentating that process. Everyone here is in different stages of their lives, some have the time, others are lucky to fit a shower in every day, lol, if you know what I mean. What do y'all think Mavens?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  06:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Yeah....I'm doing GOOD if I get a shower 2 days in a row!!!! So I know what you mean there TS. Since I'm kinda new to the Mavens...I just thought I'd ask because I wasn't sure....But was also wondering because, If I choose to Isolate 4 different varieties of tomatoes to save the seed.....Are 3 of the varieties also being grown by Dawn or Karen or Amanda also...meaning next growing season we'll have a surplus of "Hillbilly" tomato seeds in the bank, but only a few of another variety? Am I even making sense? I can't tell.....lol....maybe I'm just putting too much thought into something that is actually simpler than I'm making it...lol...I do that sometimes :)
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
No, you make a good point. That's why I thought that maybe one idea would be for each of us to "adopt" a certain plant each year and work on that, then we all could trade. Just a thought, what does everyone else think?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:04:49 AM  Show Profile
that sounds like a good idea....if we are already up to 30 mavens, and possibly more before the season is over.....that would give us atleast 25 give or take (concidering possible crop failure, flood, drought, what have you..or maybe some mavens having circumstances beyond their control that causes for "their seeds" to have gone kapooey)...And if some Brave Maves want to do more than one, by all means, more power to them - us! I guess we'd just need to do an "official list" of who is growing what for the seed bank? Or have ya'll already done that over in the henhouse?
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:06:48 AM  Show Profile
Also, before I forget.....Could all of you that are going to Dawn's Spring Fling Pm me please? I need some info for some bags.......
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:14:09 AM  Show Profile
I agree. I'm taking dibs on the hillbilly stuff....its in my genes....haha....I also have greasy grits (bush green beans) from Baker Creek.. Another Appalachian variety. I may not grow too many tomatoes this year due to cross pollination....but I'm certain that I will put some in the spot that they were in last year and surround them with basil, and then I will put one more variety behind the barn in the "large" garden and do those companion style. I also have an abundance of squash, one of which I am planting in the large garden and the others....???? Haven't really thought it out yet. I may have to till up a bit of property on the west side of the house... which is where I was going to plant my zillions of zinnias... I just dont know. I have a feeling I'm heading for an edible yard and that's no joke.
I've got peas that are exactly 8" tall today. I'm a dork. Thank goodness once they mature and are picked I can freeze them fairly effortlessly.
Met a guy on the phone at work yesterday who is into this as well and we talked forever about heirlooms and heritage animals, going green, making do or doing without. Wow. He was really interesting to talk to. He struck me as a MaryJane type of guy. He lives in a log house he built himself and its solar generated. Running water and yes, he does have electric but mostly chooses not too. He washed his clothes on a wash board. Sigh.... what a life! So I guess it just goes to show you that what we are doing is something that a lot of other people are thinking of as well and that in itself makes me feel good.
Okay, sun is out, I'm off to hang out laundry.... can't take it anymore!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
[h6]
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com

"In seed time, learn. In harvest, teach, and in winter, enjoy" Wm. Blake
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:16:03 AM  Show Profile
urggg!!! I also forgot.....I know i already told ya'll...but to refresh the idea....I bartered a ton of fabric with Emilee Gettle in exchange for some heirloom seed, and she will be sending the seed out today....I wanted to let EVERYONE know, that I did it not for my personal garden use, but for us Mavens! (that sounded like I'm trying to get pats on the back, and I'm not)...Anyhow, as soon as the seeds arrive, I'll make an inventory sheet, then post it on here for anyone who would like me to mail them some seeds, I'm hoping they'll be here by the weekend so that I can post it Sunday or Monday....I will keep ya'll updated!!! It's slao very exciting because she said she also threw in some of her personal "Favorites", but she didn't tell me what they were.....So it's going to be just like Christmas when I get them!
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Dawn....I just used the Hillbilly as an example...and really have no idea who all is going to be growing them!!!! it was just the first thang that came to my Hillbilly Ass Mind....lol.....
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:37:12 AM  Show Profile
I think that the adopt-a-vegie idea is a good thing. We all need to learn so much about seed saving and that would be a good way to start. Thank you for the idea TS!

Happy Birthday Denise!!!

Hi!! (waves) to all my maven sisters!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:02:15 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mavens! I get dibs on the Amish Paste Tomato! It was already chosen for my pet project this year, so that works out perfectly! We are actually going to try and collect seeds from most of our veggies this year. It is going to be quite a job! In fact we ( DH and I) were discussing the other night about making a small raised bed specificly for carrots. We already have one but that is for growing and harvesting my carrots. Since it takes 2 years to produce carrott seed I need a place where they can stay undisturbed for that long. Hoping that I will be able to contribute more varieties of seed, but that will depend on how well I do at this.

Kelley- you do deserve that pat on the back! I agree it is like christmas when you get seeds and there are "extras"!

Happy birthday Denise!

Yesterday I took the book squarefoot gardening over to my friends house, so she can read about making the most out of her tiny little yard. You would of thought I saved a kitten from a burning house! She was so excited, If she didn't read the whole book last night I will be amazed! She has already put her tomato and pepper order in to me.

Off to get the bread started, everyone have a great day.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I also think we need to come up with a standarized "form", if you will, for the record keeping so everyone is on the same page. We need someone who is the most familar with seed saving amoung us, Karen , Lillian,??????? That way we are all doing the same thing as far as seed saving technique.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 25 2009 09:06:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page