graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  6:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know anything about grants for the mavens.......that's what I get for trying to talk before I'm caught up with y'all I guess:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  6:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
No prob, besides I got to look up Mssr Rousseau, very interesting :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  8:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Morning dear Mavens,
I get the free newsletter by ORGANICGARDENING (http://www.organicgardening.com/) and in the one they've sent me today, is a free seed starting chart that I found very useful.
They are right about where we stand now when we have all these questions about what to start indoor and when.
they also have a section called "Organic Gardening Month-to-Month Almanac" with 11 planting zones listed and a month per month almanac about what to do in the garden.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Feb 18 2009 8:13:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  8:16:24 PM  Show Profile
well..mayhaps we can have an heirloom seed company.... sort of "adopt us"?
meaning if we present our case/mission statement before a seed company that offers heirloom varieties and mention that we would each like to help to preserve a certain set of varieties/types of seed.... maybe each of us 28 gals could be the stewards of certain varieties in our gardens..and we could report back to the seed company about the germination/growth rate/problems, etc. encountered with each variety..sort of like trial gardens around the nation in different growing regions?
We'd all sort of have "test gardens" that benefit both the company in having folks that can report back to them about the different seeds, and in the same regards we are educating ourselves/helping the seed company to know what does well in various areas to help them to market the correct seed varieties to different areas/ and also helping the customers of the seed company to know what works well in different areas..etc.
Make sense?
We could let the seed company choose what to send to each area/zone.
-----------
now..how to find a company willing to take a chance on setting up a panel of trial gardens around the nation?

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  8:20:40 PM  Show Profile
I think one of the rose companies used to let you "buy into" a "rose testing program" where they'd offer like 4-5 different new roses and send you a chart to send back to them. I'm thinking it was some place like Jackson and Perkins or somewhere like that.
but....maybe a company would be willing to donate a few sets of "family garden seeds"...hmmm..it's a thought at least.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  8:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Tina, how are you doing sister ?
You always have such neat ideas.
In France Kokopelli has this kind of program, if you keep your plants from over crossing and if you follow a quite strong chart, you can be one of they purveyor of certain seeds and you can exchange seeds with others doing the very same.
I will have a close look of what is available when I get there.

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  9:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I am finally doing well..had been sick for about 2 weeks with a bad bug the kids decided to share with me..it walloped me harder than anyone else in the family for some reason, but I am finally just about 100 percent over it.
but am doing much, much better now.

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  05:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DENISE

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Feb 19 2009 05:04:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  05:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Tina,I am so glad to hear that you are felling better! Practically thwhole month of December and half the month of January my whole family was sick with the "Crud"...thank goodness we are all FINALLY over it!! Yeah, I like your ideas!!! Teresa Sue - When I spouted off about the grant issue it was more of a "I'm ticked off at the government, Monsanto, and such" type of thing!! Now, in my opinion, If I were a large enough seed company, I would have groups of trial gardens all around the country, if nothing but just for the information concerning certain seeds hardiness in different zones. Ahhh, dreams, dreams, ideas, ideas ideas! I'll have to look into the rose thing. The owner of our local feed store was telling me that the local gardening club is doing a "paid by company" research trial on roses here in this area....testing diffrent breeds of roses in a "conventional gardening methods" category, an "organic gardening methods" category, and then of course the "let it be - naturally" category.....and of course, can I even find any contact info on the local gardening club?...NOPE!! No email, No phone #.....I've googled....and everything, but they have no contact info.....huh! Funny how the guy at the county extension office told me that gardeners and farmers around here are very stubborn and "set int there ways" when it come to the conventional methods...they must also be selective of who is allowed to be in the "gardening Club!" But that is how the "gardening Cub" was in the small town I grew up in was...my BFF's mom wanted to join the club, and they didn't "accept her". Hopefully that is not how this local group is!!! Why can't everybody have a little more FarmGirl" in them, ya know?
Ok, I have added some heirloom rhubarb and some berries to the list from Baker Creek...I had already thought about Wonderberries and Giant Cape goose berries...those two are the types of things my grandparents uses to grow and make all kinds of goodies with!
Amanda - Sorry I din't reply yesterday....We always winter sow! I ust haven't started anything yet this year...but now that I have the little Mini greenhouse and have been starting my charts and plans, DH and I are going to get our stuff started this weekend..Oh, and I checked out wintersown!!! the seed swapping forum!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!! Like heaven!!!(looking around frantically, biting nails) I personally would never swap any fruit and veggies off of one of those, but flowers....omg! I saw some posters had some stuff on there that I hadn't seen in catalog in a long time!!!...Let me rephrase that....I wouldn't swap any fruit and veggie seeds until I had made a good "buddy" on there...make sense? Or am I just a paranoid cheezehead?...lol...anywhoo....hope everyone has a great day!!! I hope that Dawn is doing ok!!! I miss her already!!!
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  06:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
G'day, mates!

Speaking of Dawn, I was thinking this morning about the buzz regarding grants/company-sponsorship/etc. Using my 1/28th of our voice, I want y'all to keep the fire but let's wait til things settle down for Dawn. She posted some pages back that she's dealing with some things at home and we all know that it must need her full attention right now or she'd be posting (she is the PQ).

I love the mix we have in this group. I'm more conservative by nature but if everyone was like me we'd move at a snail's pace. I love the fire that others bring because it challenges me to grow (<--nice gardening analogy, huh?). Just know that I will be in the I&T group (the ones that need all their i's dotted and their t's crossed before they move to the next step). That's why Robbie has a second round of seeds sprouting and I'm still making notes.

Tina, never did respond to you getting the heirloom seeds from your friend but woo hoo! what a find! That is incredibly special.

Ruth, your seeds are going in the mail today. Along with surprises for Rene' and Amy Grace. I wouldn't mention those so that you could be really surprised, but our mail service leaves something to be desired, especially on our receiving end, so I want you all to be on the watch.

I'll be here this afternoon copying everything you've posted since last Friday - like 12 pages! - for newsletter prep and will checking in here off and on. But not while I'm talking to Kelley - that timeslot is reserved.

Off to do pantry deliveries....have a wonderful day, mavens....Happy birthday, Denise

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  07:08:00 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Mavens! After catching up on all the gab and gossip...

Denise - happy birthday!

Lanna - When my daughter was 5YO, she lost her first tooth, too. She had the adult tooth coming in right behind it also. Our dentist told us that normal tooth loss age ranges from 4-7 years old, and that it's 50/50 that the adult tooth is in before the tooth comes out. I guess the 50/50 comes from either the tooth is in or it isn't.

Kelley (and others) - loved the comments on "shift" and had to add that old typewriters used to physically lift the letter mechanism to make upper case letters. I like to see these "shifts" in my life as lifting me up as well - lifting me up from dependency on others, etc.

TM - like the idea of a seed company adopting us (especially over a government grant) - maybe Baker Creek since Emilee is now a farmgirl?

As for the grant... My husband is the mayor of our town, and trust me, if you can handle all the red tape and paperwork to get it, you may not be able to handle all the paperwork and red tape to keep it. They are a good thing for municipalities because they actually hire people just to deal with grants, etc., but I don't think I'd want to mess with one.

Happy Thursday all!

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

"We are all better for contact and companionship with other people. We need such contact to polish off the rough corners of our minds and our manners, but it is a pitiful thing when anyone cannot, if necessary, stand by himself sufficient to himself and in good company even though alone." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  07:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Ahhh... the government... I work for the local govt and the bureaucratic red tape is something that causes me to bang my head on my desk. (Well, not literally... ok, maybe sometimes...) That being said I do deal with grant money, both state and federal, and it's never free in that there's always a required match and there's a whole heck of a lotta paperwork and strings. Sometimes you *can* do marvelous things with grant money, other times I'm back to smacking my head on the desk and saying WHY are my tax dollars paying for THAT!?!

Now, around here, if you can get a grant from a charitable FOUNDATION, that's a whole 'nother story. I don't feel bad about grant money directly from rich people, even if they're donating all this cashola partly to get a tax writeoff. Just something to think about.

Enough politics and govt!

Karen, brownie points for your marvelous gardening analogy. :D

TS and Kelley, I am going to be getting those seeds winter sown this weekend, period!

It's been tough to get my gardening obsession off the ground while helping the BF prepare to move 1500 miles away. Ugh. A week from today we will be driving Rt 66 across New Mexico, heading for La Posada in Winslow, Arizona. (Yes, I have had "Take it Easy" stuck in my head all week.) I am looking forward to driving from Tulsa to LA and seeing all the sites (those that are left, anyway) but I am dreading his leaving.

He got the grids nailed onto my SFG yesterday. :D

If I'm a little sappy y'all will understand why.

Corinne I *love* that free garden planner! Signed up for the Organic Gardening newsletter.

Tina glad you're feeling better.

OK, I'm off to do some work now. Happy Thursday everybody!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  07:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Kell~ re: the tapron: you stole MY idea....heehheee, I used tomake those for my dd to wear when she was little. However, I think you're on to somoething.

Gotta go. Leaving work early todayt. Cna't tyope worth a hoot. Stress.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  07:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Happy Birthday Denise~ Wishing you the most wonderful day.
Corrine~ It jsut always makes me happy to see your name ANYWHERE~ how is it going?
Tina~I would think that no one is as ready for Spring then you...I am so glad we are sisters.
TS ~ your opinion is always valued to me.
Karen~ My sister from another mother..seems like just as I get the topic mulled over in my mind their off onto another one.............must be age!
Dawn ~ I MISS YOU! THE braclet you made is is AMAZING. I couldnt imagine it being more perfect for me. even DH said so.... perfect! I charish it!
Annika~ How is it going? I wish I were closer to help with the load you are carrying.

Hopefully you are all starting to receive your Lynn Coulter things...

Keep rocking on sisters.....................

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:21:07 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mavens- Quick post this morning as it is supposed to be sunny and 58 today, so I am trying to hurry up and get the inside chores done and move to the outside chores-Yipee!

Happy Birthday to Denise-Hope it is a great one!

Amanda- Yes, I am a winter sower too. In fact today I will be picking some lettuce that was planted in early December, and planting some more greens.

Dawn- Nice to "hear" your lovely voice here.

Annika- Glad you are feeling better. How is your dad doing?

Karen- I love a snails pace, that is my speed.

Passalong Plants, I read that book about 10 years ago and loved it. I passed it along to a friend when I finished it and asked her to do the same when she was done.

I am sure I should have touched on more subjects but I am itching to get outside, so forgive me. Hello to everyone, I too can't remember everyone.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes Rene- I did get my envelope of goodies. Thank You!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:31:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm cautiously happy. My dad doesn't have lung cancer, just a tumor. And they are worried about swollen lymph nodes, but hopefully that is going to be ok....so I'm back, kind of! Dad is still going to need surgery to fix his broken arm, but that, should go ok too. Thanks for all of the prayers and thoughts, I know that they helped.

Don't know where to jump in, but I am looking forward to spring to be sure...I love reading all of the excited chatter, you girls are the best!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile
oh, sorry Dawn, I didn't know that I stole yor idea....it just came to me in a dream, and I threw one together, and it just so happens that it turned out great, and I loved the idea! Don't worry, I'm not going to market them or anything, just don't have the time.

I was talking to a friend who used to work for the govt...and she said that grants aren't all they cracked up to be, she basically said the same thing Amanda did...and she also mentioned the "charity" thing, money being donated to a good cause by the extremely wealthy.....wouldn't that be grand!

Corinne - I also like the chart and signed up for the newsletter, thanks for the website! My Dh and I are also going by the "oLd Farmers Almanac Planting table" we like how it gives you your planting tables per your exact location (zip) Amanda, you may also want to go to that web site http://www.almanac.com/garden/plantingtable/index.php my huuby and find it very educational!
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  10:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Annika, I am happy to hear about you DAd!! Hang in there!!! I'm thinking of ya!
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  10:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Well, today's deliveries provided an enlightening experience. My head was spinning for about an hour afterward. I may be slow but don't try to convince me that "the pantry people" have been bringing boxes of food for the last few months (as evidenced by that stack of boxes) when I am the delivery people! I never saw the movie "Gaslight" but I'm familiar with the concept, especially after experiencing it this morning. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, Annika! I know you're a million times happier than I am that your dad doesn't have cancer but let's just say my millionth amount of happiness is purty durn huge! I have so missed your rants. Kelley's been doing a fine job in your absence but, sorry, Kell, no one throws a rant like Annika.

Okay, gonna do something. Oh yea, copy all those pages of posts you PQs have been putting out there this week. So I'll be here awhile.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  10:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies, I do not want to be a trouble maker but Denise's birthday is actually on the 25 th. Then on the 28 th we have Marcy to celebrate.
I know it is not all that clear on the list I've sent, but because I run on vista, some of us cannot open the attachements I send. The best would be to copy the list and save it as a ".doc" in your Word program. then it will make more sens for everything.
Tonight is our "last night" here until next time, where ever this is going to be.

You've all made such a difference in my world, day after day, post after post. You gave me some of your real life struggles, some of your dreams, some of your gardens stories and such a warm and powerful enduring friendship that made my days better and my mood happier every time I came to join you on MJF.
So as my life is going to change, I thanks you for all the good and the fun and the knowledge and I say "a bientot", on the other side of the ocean.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Bah, my external mouse has died. And this particular laptop has a not-so-great mouse set-up. Apparently I got spoiled on Toshiba laptops when I was growing up where the trackpoint and mouse clicky buttons were ergonomic and you didn't have to squish up your hand (a la carpal tunnel syndrome and all). *sigh*

Fwiw, I haven't heard spectacular things online about wonderberries. From another gardening forum I frequent.

Amanda ~ Charitable foundation - there you go! I'm down with that kind of thing, definitely.

Dawn ~ Sorry about the stress. I hope things resolve/get better soon.

Annika ~ Yay that it's not cancer!! My dad wasn't so fortunate.

I'm thinking about playing around with huckleberries this year. Not the goofy sounding (to me) garden huckleberry, I'm talking about honest-to-goodness mountain huckleberries. Photos of last year's adventure here: http://www.xanga.com/LannaM/668713749/huckleberries/ And sorry in advance for the cleavage. It happens, especially with a nursling around. Anyway, the huckleberries have tiny little seeds inside the fruit, so I'm thinking of trying to start little plants from seed, and maybe even digging up a handful of plants to put on the back slope of our garden to see if they survive down lower here.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  10:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, time for another "Hello-o-o-o-o-o-o-o" moment from my world.

Yes, Corinne, when my PDA alarm went off this morning signaling Denise's birthday it had the date correct - the 25th. But apparently I wasn't awake enough to realize that today is not the 25th (see previous posts about me not being able to put 2 and 2 together) and I was just so excited to be the first to wish her happy birthday. (And I'm still the first to wish her happy birthday - at least from the mavens!). So anyway I'm reading your post and talking to hubby on the phone. He says, "Yea, today's not the 25th because if it was the 25th, it would be our anniversary." I'm really hoping these mega airhead episodes I've been having are menopause-related. If this is a new trend in my thinking capabilities, I feel so sorry for y'all and what the future holds.

Okay, back to copying.....

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  11:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lanna

Bah, my external mouse has died. And this particular laptop has a not-so-great mouse set-up. Apparently I got spoiled on Toshiba laptops when I was growing up where the trackpoint and mouse clicky buttons were ergonomic and you didn't have to squish up your hand (a la carpal tunnel syndrome and all). *sigh*
Lanna, mama to three little monkeys

I'm sorry. My brain short-circuited when I read that phrase. When I was growing up, computers were the size of a room - literally.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  11:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Karen, do not worry a minute, things like this happens all the time and I am not putting in writing a lots more things than a year ago.
This long and cold winter might be the cause of it too. And yes, you were the very first to think of Denise and that is so sweet.
Congratulation on your anniversary, how many years of bliss do you celebrate ?
Time for me to go to bed, have a great and peaceful day, hugs,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page