Page: of 217

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens!

Okay, it's taken me awhile to get this post together and I'm not done yet but first, Kelley, feel the rant then come back to us. We've all been there and thanks to the Big M &Associates, we will be there many more times, I'm sure. If we didn't have that passion, we wouldn't be doing what we're doing. Are ya doin' better now?

Kelley (part 2), I'm with your hubby. Set up your etsy shop today, jump on the bandwagon and watch the farmgirl orders pour in. Do it for your children. My mom came up with the idea of wrapping a piece of velcro around a pen and putting the matching sticky part on the phone so that when you need a pen to write a phone number down you'll always have one. A few years after that they came out commercially and I always felt like they stole my mom's idea.

Amanda, according to Seed to Seed, tomatoes have a self-pollinating "structure" that "severely limits (and may totally preclude) any crossing between these varieties." The three that can cross-pollinate (by insects) are: currant tomatoes, L. pimpinellifolium; all of the potato-leaved varieties of L. lycopersicum; and any fruit formed from double blossoms on beefsteak types of L. lycopersium.

That's the techy answer. Basically like TS said, tomatoes started as a warm weather planted but over the years has moved north and in doing so has adapted itself. They all used to have styles that stuck out from the anther tube (I couldn't throw those words around like that til I read the S2S bit), now they've adapted so that the style is contained within the tube and therefore they are essentially self-pollinating. You can check the flowers on the plants this summer. When they bloom, look to see if the style sticks out of the tube or not and you'll know if they're self-pollinating or if they need to be bagged/caged.

Here's a little tidbit for all of us: if you shake the plant when it's in flower, you can increase the production because it increases the amount of pollen released in the tube!

Whew! On to Diana.......I answered a question on the Garden Gate this morning and in the process discovered www.davesgarden.com - a wealth of general gardening info. Maybe even heirloom info but I didn't have a lot of time to hang around Dave's garden. Anyways, they have a book review there and you could probably find info about Marc Rogers' book there. I'm not familiar with it but I'm more likely to trust something from before the turn of the century as that's when GMOs started ramping up. To me, the earlier the better which is why I went on a J.I. Rodale original book rampage for awhile. Lots of pictures but way more text than today's books so lots more information.

Okay, I'm exhausted and my day hasn't even started except that I have had breakfast. Need to bake some bread, do some laundry, etc. etc. etc. (anyone see "The King and I" with Yul Brynner?)

Oh yea, AG, the David guy at Mardi Gras was #2 last year on American Idol. Just so's y'all know, this is my third year with Idol. Until then all I knew was a friend of mine coming into work and laughing about the auditions. When I finally watched a season of it, I realized that the people actually on the show could really sing. After that I was hooked, being a singer and all, sort of, well, ya know......

Good morning, Rene', so good to see your post!

Hi, Ann!

It's reached the point where my little brain can't remember everyone's name without a list (yay, mavens, I'm okay with that ) so greetings to all and to all a great day!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:56:55 AM  Show Profile
TS.. I would like the Hollyhock seed if you have a few.. Yes. I don't have any heirlooms to trade..Yet. New at this, I do have some certified organics..no other flowers

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  09:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey Karen....you talk on the phone much?.....Cause I would love to call you sometime this week if that would be acceptable!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  09:57:35 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I tried to read S2S and was a bit lost. This is my first year starting a garden from seed. I am hoping that everything grows well. Right now, I am reading the The New Seed Starters Handbook and that has been great. I love it and am learning so much. I would love to save my seed but am afraid to mess things up. The hand pollinating and pollination/isolation bags seem like alot of work and I'm not sure that I will absorb all of this info to do it correctly. KWIM?

I hope I can save some seeds but don't know how much I'll get done.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Karen... *whew* RELIEF! Though I must say, I have NO idea the latin names of my tomatoes since they all came from wintersown. I do know that the "Van Wert Ohio" is some sort of beefsteak. They're all heirlooms, though. It will be tomato surprise at my house! Thanks for the info, and style inspection tip!

My S2S book should be in at the library soon. Patience is not my virtue.

Kelley, yep, I vote Go For It.

Ooops my contractor is here - gotta run.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:06:58 AM  Show Profile
Amanda~I am right with you in Kindergarten, too. I also bought all my plants before I came here. Now I want to save seeds and grow only heirlooms.

Kelley~Can't wait to see your tapron. Sounds like a great idea. I didn't know who Dr. James Duke was but looked him up. Imagine if we were able to receive a gov't grant for preserving heirlooms.

Hello to all the mavens!!!!1

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Ooo-oo-oooo! Call me, Kelley! I thought you were asking if I talk on the phone much cuz my posts are so lengthy. I do food pantry deliveries on Thursday mornings. Other than that I'm available (may be out running around but I'll tell if we need to "reschedule.")

Ruth, I'm so glad you posted that because it jogged my memory. I've been wanting to put a sidenote out here that the most important thing is that we're planting heirloom seeds, at least in some part of our garden, and we're spreading the word. I was concerned that mavens might think they need to get techy (my term for bagging/etc.) with this. We went from growing little organic gardens the last two years to planning a bigger one this year. The mavens happened and it's turned our gardening world upside down. I was hoping to concentrate on saving one kind of seed this year. That was going to be a major accomplishment I thought. Then hubby got hold of the S2S book and the world shifted again. We all do what we can and hopefully we do it without throwing our lives out of balance. And the kindergarten thing - practically everything I know to this point is book knowledge. Guess I need to get ready for another shift o' my world when it gets put into practice.

I'm anxious to see where we'll be in another two years. I think it's better that I don't know at this point or it would scare me to death! Sure is fun, though, huh?

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
P.S. Who has experience with government-issued grants? It would be really cool to get the recognition but then again, how much say do they have over what we do? My hubby works for the USDA and if he was in charge of this, I'd be all for it. Otherwise, I don't know...good....bad......indiferrent.....how hands on are they? A grant could make this one of those more-than-we-ever-imagined things in a good way or not so good way. I'm in the dark on this one.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm.... Baked goods. My weakness with baked goods especially is chocolate. Mmmm... chocolate. Lately I've been making batches of my fabulous chocolate zucchini muffins. Gotta start using up what I've got in the freezer before this next season - I can't hoard everything. :blush* Yum.

Kelly ~ If you're already building cages to enclose the tomato plants, you could always make them big enough to put plastic on them to use as a mini-greenhouse or whatever. But then I just remembered you're in TX, so you may not have that whole pesky short-season thing going on... I think I need to see a photo of this Tapron. I detest wearing layers sometimes, even more so in the summer. Sure, I've worn jeans at 115* in the shade, but that doesn't mean I liked it. I'm not even going to dip my toes in the political stuff. I've never been a fan of Obama's. He couldn't even balance his state's budget, and that's just for starters. To me, it's just one way of borrowing against the future - money (we don't have) going to people right now, with no real idea of where it's going to come from to get paid back. There's a reason credit cards aren't the smartest way to survive. *sigh*

Karen ~ Oh, davesgarden.com also has reviews on seed companies! That's how I discovered Heirloom Acres takes forever to ship, so don't order from them if you're in a hurry, and so on. Which is why I ordered back in January. And about a few other companies that seemed too good to be true and such.

Ruth ~ S2S confused me the last few times I read it, so no worries. Your brain can only process so much at a time. You can start with the "easier" seed saving... beans, peas, tomatoes, peppers don't usually cross (yes, I know sometimes they do, but still), butternut squash (right gals?) that kind of thing. And work your way up.

Federal grants? Um, no, I wouldn't. Of course I grew up in a college town, so that may color my opinion. I'm not too thrilled with how much control the gov't already does have on me and my family (CPS anyone? that's a monkey I never want on my back), so giving them more say in something that's my business doesn't sit right. I'm more of a take responsibility for your own kind of gal. And there's almost always strings when someone gives you money, regardless of the source. But to each their own.

And in non-seed news? My 5yo lost his first tooth last night!!! I'm so not ready for this! We went to the dentist a month or two ago because he has (had) and adult tooth growing in behind his baby teeth, and that freaked me out - that hadn't happened to me. Little did I know, it's semi normal, and even happened to hubby. But usually kids don't start losing teeth until 6-7yo. I guess my boy wanted to be ahead of the curve. *sigh* No funny gap in his teeth yet either because the adult tooth is ready and waiting, too.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  11:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens!! Today it is rainy and dreary in Indiana but not here!! I love grabbing a bit of sunshine here!!!

Corinne~ I am so glad you got the card!!!!

Karen~ I love the King and I---my dad took me to the theatre to see it when I was little and in high school I saw it on stage!! Wonderful!!! Ever seen the Music Man?

Amy~ I will check on the pattern number for you..

Ok since my area has gone digital I am having huge tv withdrawls...This is good but I think I use it more for background noise since I am the only one home during the day!! I did get a lot done this morning!!! I think I mentioned that my dryer quit well I think since I have to hang everything I might be earning a badge...LOL..have to check on that!! I also put a couple of my hens in my little barn to see if they will be my sanitation crew. Read about that in Omnivores Dilemna and told DH about it..I might be able to figure out something for my little farm...

Last night DH bought me a new ball cap!! IT says FARMGIRL on it!!!! I think its a brand of clothes or something but he did get it for me and I think its great that in his own way he has acknowledged my best passion!!!

Ok my turn on the soapbox....before tv went digital I saw a commercial for an Agriculture website...I thought cool I will have to check it out..it had planting stuff and prices and basically everything you could want..then at the end of the commercial it said brought to you by...can you guess????? Monsanto!! Yep I couldnt believe it even though I did!!!!! They truly have their fingers in everything!!!!! So Agnet or whatever it is I will not be checking out!! If I see it again I will let you know so we can all avoid it!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  12:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Marcy Jo~I posted on my blog today of me with the apron you made on. It's on the farmgirl blog.

I want to read Omnivores Dilemna. It's on my long list of must reads.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  12:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Marcy, a media fast - forced or voluntary - really opens a person's eyes, huh? On DirecTV they have the RFD channel (I think those are the letters). I've given up on watching any of the farm shows because every time I try they talk about Roundup. Gag me! I'm sorry to say that I am Music Man deprived. I've caught bits and pieces of it, but I don't think I've ever seen it all the way through. However, my students were very familiar with "76 Trombones." Oh yea, where did hubby get the farmgirl cap? I want one!

AG, here's another book deja vu for ya. You mentioned that the book you got for Christmas gave directions for playing jacks. The book I checked out from the library a couple of weeks ago mentioned them too. Guess what? Yep, same book. "Back to Basics" copyright 1981! Small world, not?

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  1:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Ok, OK, OK......So much to say!! First, Karen, how about sometime thurs afternoon? (to call you)?...Second...Karen...lol..In your last post on page 304, I noticed that you used the word "Shift" two times......I emailed Rene' about this awhile ago, and i hope I don't embarrass her, but.....On September 11, 2008, Rene' posted on here and said at the end of her post "I just feel that the amount of shifting I will do from today on.....is going to be HUGE!"....I emailed her and told her that I wrote it on a post it note and had it on my bathroom mirror already! with her name right behind it just like they do with all the famous people quotes!!! what she said holds sooo much meaning...and I believe it would be good for all of us to write that on a post it and stick it to the bathroom mirror....lol...everyday, is a BRAND NEW day!!! And everyday, we are each learning something new from each other about this area that we all, as a group, share the same passion for. So what better of a quote, belief, thought, what have you, to go by on a daily basis? I seriously thought about making it my tag line with her name included, but I don't want Rene' to think I'm TOTALLY nuts!!!....lol.....And amanda, as far as kindergarten goes.....me, too, i am so far from knowing what I'm doing that it's not even funny....lol....Ruth....yay!!!! I got your package...thank you so much.....I think I know what the problem was.....the paper was almost completely torn from the mags!!! You could tell the postal workers along the way had taped and taped and taped some more....but it looked pretty bad...and it had "RECIEVED DAMAGED" stamped in red all over it.....but the great news is......the contents were in excellent shape!!!! Thanks again! Hope the postal service doesn't treat your package the same!!!
As far as the grant issue goes, I soooooo wish that I knew more about that area, but I just don't....something I'll have to do some research on...All I do know, is that I used to volunteer for animal shelters when I was a vet tech, and the shelter back in Durant (HomewardBound) had a part time grant writter on their list of "paid" staff....hmmmmmm......I have been told that applying for grants is easy.....but like I said, I don't have the slightest clue about any of it!

oh, yeah.....I requested S2S on loan at the library, and they informed me that to do that I am responsible for ALLLLLLLLL postage charges!!!! Out of all the towns...and all the libraries I have lived in and belonged to, I must say that this is a first!!! Needless to say, I won't be "borowing" many books from other libraries!!! GRRRRR!!!!! OK....it is 75 degrees and BEAUTIFUL outside, so I must go out and enjoy it and be productive!!!! TTYL!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  1:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that Kelley~I had actually taped and taped it before it left here. I had it double wrapped. I couldn't find a box or envelope that was the right size for them. I am glad it's there and they are in good condition.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  2:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kelly~
You are so sweet and so funny! It touches my heart in ways I cant even find the words to know that I have sisters that are as committed to change and to doing the "best" we know to do.. It is honoring!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Kelley - WHAT?! Charging for interlibrary loans! Bah! That's just b.s. Is there a used bookstore in your town?

Seed Savers Exchange has almost all the books we've mentioned recently and I do want to support them. What's a farmgirl to do when other stores have it for $8 less?

I have come across Dave's Garden a number of times when googling heirloom varieties to see pictures of them. Did NOT know about the heirloom seed company reviews. Hooray for that. Just noticed they have a winter sowing forum though.

Am I the only (ahem, soon to be) winter sower amongst us? Planning on getting it all set up this weekend. Quick before I run outta winter. :D

My BF got me this gadget called Easy Bloom for Valentine's Day - it monitors your soil moisture, humidity, sunlight, air flow, whatever - you stick it in the ground for 24 hours then plug it into your computer via USB and it gives you a reading. Makes recommendations on what to grow for your conditions, or what might be wrong with a plant you've already got there. Pretty nifty so far. It's a white stick-like thing, looks like a giant pregnancy test with a flower on top - ha!

BF was reading Ominvore's Dilemma when I met him, and his mom is a big-time gardener and seed saver. I figured he might be a keeper.

TS no Fortna seeds yet - any day now!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  3:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Kelley, tomorrow afternoon - it's a phone date!

To the rest o' y'all - have a wonderful evening. Small group prep tonight and probably won't be online when we get back.

(((HUGS)))

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:27:06 PM  Show Profile
oh,shucks rene'.....I also feel that you are so sweet! This (MJF, the mavens) is just sooooo awesome for me on so many different levels...I could go on and on about why i feel this way, but I'll save that for another day...maybe tommorow.....
Karen, can't wait to talk to you tommorow
Now....about this CUTE little book I found at the library today....It is called "Passalong Plants" written by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing. Not sur that it's anything we would want to have a book discussion on, but I'm intrigued! Includes info on 117 different plants, mail order sources, a little section on how to organize a plant swap, and more...oh, their definition of a passalong plant is "plants that have survived in gardens for decades by being handed from one person to another. These botanical heirlooms, such as flowering almond, blackberry lilly, and night blooming cereus, usually can't be found in garden centers: about th only way to obtain a passalong is to beg a piece from the fortunate gardener thathas one." It's mainly about the "pretties" in the garden, which as mavens, we can't forget about the heirloom flowers too!!! Anyhow, a cute little book that is rightup my alley!!! I think I'm gonna love it...just thought I'd share that with ya'll!!

Oh, and I almost forgot.....any suggestions on what I should request from Emilee for the mavens seed bank? I have a couple of things in mind....but is there a way that I could get a list of all of the mavens heirlooms, then make a list according to that? I think we need
a good, wide variety for our seed bank, so I don't want to go and ask for things we all already have.....So, if anyone can help me ot with that, or better yet, if ya'll could all just email me your list of heirlooms, that way I have a copy at all times and know what everyone has so, if in the future, I come across seeds that someone may pass along to me, or have seeds of my own that I may want to share with someone else....I have a running list....ooo, oo, oo...theres an idea!!!! If ya'll aren't already doing it, of course.... a list of everyones heirlooms!!! Oh, ahh....I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!!! That would be the ultimate in organization!! But wait.....were ya'll already doing this before I joined? Am I just goofy....am I being a DORK?.....LOL.....anywhoo...let me know what ya'll think...I'd like to email Emilee back by mid day tommorow!! Thanks bunches gals!!!!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:48:10 PM  Show Profile
it would be nice to have some heirloom berry seeds of different types.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:52:19 PM  Show Profile
forgot this earlier.......ya'll should check out "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinffeld...it is a cook book that teaches you how to incorporate freash, pureed fruits and veggies into your everday meals without tasting them.....what better to have with gardening season upon us?????
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:54:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DearMildred
Am I the only (ahem, soon to be) winter sower amongst us? Planning on getting it all set up this weekend. Quick before I run outta winter. :D

I think I'm going to try it with a few things this year. I'm saving and rinsing out my opaque milk jugs really well. But I have to wait until I can get my hands on some compost and such. Besides, nothing really starts sprouting up here until April if the plants are over-eager anyway. I've got time.

Garden Watchdog ~ http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/
It's all companies to some degree, but if you've been shopping long enough, you know company names and what you're looking for.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  5:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I have to agree with Lanna, no government grants for me. It is not free money. It is money taken out of my paycheck and my husband's paycheck in the form of taxes. The only thing I want from the government is for them to protect me from other countries and anarchy and leave me and mine alone. The rest I'll do myself.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 18 2009 6:37:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by farmmommy

oh,shucks rene'.....I also feel that you are so sweet! This (MJF, the mavens) is just sooooo awesome for me on so many different levels...I could go on and on about why i feel this way, but I'll save that for another day...maybe tommorow.....
Karen, can't wait to talk to you tommorow
Now....about this CUTE little book I found at the library today....It is called "Passalong Plants" written by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing. Not sur that it's anything we would want to have a book discussion on, but I'm intrigued! Includes info on 117 different plants, mail order sources, a little section on how to organize a plant swap, and more...oh, their definition of a passalong plant is "plants that have survived in gardens for decades by being handed from one person to another. These botanical heirlooms, such as flowering almond, blackberry lilly, and night blooming cereus, usually can't be found in garden centers: about th only way to obtain a passalong is to beg a piece from the fortunate gardener thathas one." It's mainly about the "pretties" in the garden, which as mavens, we can't forget about the heirloom flowers too!!! Anyhow, a cute little book that is rightup my alley!!! I think I'm gonna love it...just thought I'd share that with ya'll!!

Oh, and I almost forgot.....any suggestions on what I should request from Emilee for the mavens seed bank? I have a couple of things in mind....but is there a way that I could get a list of all of the mavens heirlooms, then make a list according to that? I think we need
a good, wide variety for our seed bank, so I don't want to go and ask for things we all already have.....So, if anyone can help me ot with that, or better yet, if ya'll could all just email me your list of heirlooms, that way I have a copy at all times and know what everyone has so, if in the future, I come across seeds that someone may pass along to me, or have seeds of my own that I may want to share with someone else....I have a running list....ooo, oo, oo...theres an idea!!!! If ya'll aren't already doing it, of course.... a list of everyones heirlooms!!! Oh, ahh....I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!!! That would be the ultimate in organization!! But wait.....were ya'll already doing this before I joined? Am I just goofy....am I being a DORK?.....LOL.....anywhoo...let me know what ya'll think...I'd like to email Emilee back by mid day tommorow!! Thanks bunches gals!!!!! Kelley

How about an heirloom rhubarb

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  6:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Karen - too funny about the book thing!! I actually saw that edition of that book at a thrift store and didn't buy it for some reason - very rare for me - guess I was sensing the impending gift. Hey, maybe my uncle saw the exact same book at the same thrift store - I have run into him thrifting before, hmmm.....
I stopped at the seed and feed today to price lights and heating mats, we don't have a suitable sunny spot so we need extra help. I ordered so many tomatoes I think we can probably sell starts and make enough to cover the cost of the materials - and I would still have seeds to share.
I am starting to count down till the trip......can't wait to meet Corinne in person.
I can see that I'm going to be behind again for awhile, what with having to go to work while all you mavens are posting and all....

I'm going to stay out of government debates, I tend to hold with Jean Jacques Rousseau on the role of government, and would rather talk seeds and dirt with you all and argue politics with my family:)

Everyone - (I no longer think I can list y'all) have a good evening
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Feb 18 2009 6:39:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  6:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I wasn't arguing politics Amy Grace, I was just stating how I felt about the Mavens doing something with a grant. Now, if that is something that the majority thinks is a great idea, so be it, I won't stand in the way of it. :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page