Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by LivingWell4You

TS, I don't have an extensive seed-saving library (yet) but Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth is incredible. Hubby has taken it over so I haven't read it as much as I would like. He says "it covers what causes cross-pollination, how to avoid it, F1 hybrids and how they come to be, how a home gardener can do their best to avoid cross-pollination AND how to check to see if something was cross-pollinated the next year by examining the plant, etc."

Here's an example: in the "Squash, Malabar Gourd and Calabazilla" section (pg 110), it lists the six species of the Cucurbita genus. In detailing the Cucurbita maxima genus, which lists about every conceivable variety (looks like about 100 or so), it warns that they all will cross with each other. The White Fortna and the Rouge Vif d'Etampes are in that species so they will cross.

This is where said hubby found out that the Table Queen Acorn squash, Black Beauty Zucchini and Golden Zucchini that we were planning on planting this year will cross. The Waltham Butternut is another species so it won't cross with any of those three. Therefore.......we're planting the Waltham Butternut and Black Beauty Zucchini, giving the Golden Zucchini to Ruth and hoping to find a friend willing to let us use part of their yard for the Table Queen Acorn squash.

For those that are wanting to use heirloom seed for personal use only, it isn't as much of an issue. The day the book came I posted this on the DOE: "Had to read the section on page 15 called 'Gardeners as Stewards' and this sentence jumped out at me: 'Vegetable gardeners must do everything in their power to maintain what remains, because extinction is forever.'" Until then, I didn't want to do any "artificial" pollination, just let nature take it's course. After reading the intro, I see the importance of ensuring the purity of the seeds and we're going to do hand-pollination when necessary. Having said that, we are only doing this for some of our plants. For others, we'll let someone else maintain the purity and then support their seed-saving efforts. It takes a village......or a henhouse of mavens.

MHO: If you have any plans to be a serious seed-saver, this book is a mush have.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

Then I mush get it, of course!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by farmmommy

So, are any of you going to be using isolation cages and self pollinating this season?

Not at this point. I will probably just stick with one variety of whatever I am planting to keep my seed pure.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:27:27 PM  Show Profile
I am sorta using isolation cages. More like isolation bags. I am hoping to use a fine tricot and make a few bags to keep a few tomatos, peppers and squash from cross polinating. My theory is to cover the blossoms in one area with the bags until they bloom, then remove the bag and do the polinating myself. I will then replace the bag until the fruit appears, at that point I will permantly remove the bag and mark the fruit with string or some sorta tape. In my mind this works, in reality I'm not sure.

LIllian
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
That's an interesting idea. I have to do more "homework" to decide what I'm going to do, I guess.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mavens - just saying hello - I can't get my computer to navigate to any page but this one and page one of DOE today, don't know if it is my end or the network, anyhow I can't respond to anything but this page right now so if I seem to be ignoring something big, don't mind me....
Lanna - I know exactly what you mean about your neighbors, I kick myself for being to shy/self-focused/busy/you name it to talk to some of the people I have met that could have taught me alot. I'm hoping to become more outgoing, my job is helping with that, hoping I can perhaps move on to initiating intelligent conversation with interesting looking people at some point in my life:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile
There we go - I reread everything now.
Wow - 28 of us. That's fabulous.
Kelley - I am a fabric hound also, I have had to hold myself back this year.
Amanda - wow!! You were busy today.
Karen - too funny, "Oh that book" and yes, snack, bite...
My uncle got me the Reader's Digest book called "Back to Basics" for Christmas - he got the 1981 edition at a thrift store although they have just reprinted it. It is quite good, if you ever see it for cheap I would recommend buying it - it has directions for how to play jacks - this is information that should be saved!!
Oh - I also remembered what I forgot the other night....
Marcy Jo - what pattern is that Retro Apron on your blog?? Very cute and looks familiar.
Oh, I have a business plan percolating, if I have time to execute it this year I will share, otherwise I will sit on it till next winter then tell y'all so I don't look like a lame-o
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:50:50 PM  Show Profile
And that was my next train of thought - pollination/isolation bags... I don't know that I'll have the energy/inclination to make some let alone attempt bagging blossoms, but who knows.

So those of you that do isolate, what exactly are you doing/have planned? I'd love to not *have* to buy new seeds now - just keep saving 'em year after year. And of course get suckered into something in catalogs because that's how I am, but still.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  5:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hello, my name is Teresa Sue, and I am a fabric hound.
I must have a bazillion yards of the stuff(I'm a quilter)
I tried joining the stashaholics thread, but couldn't bear giving up any of my beauties, lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  5:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeah - that's the thing, I am with seed catalogs the same way I am with fabric - kid in a candy store!! But yes, I do like the idea of not purchasing seeds so we will see......
I scored at the thrift store today - got another pair of engineer striped Big Mac overalls - my summer uniform, never too many pairs I think:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  5:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
My downfall, books, fabric, seeds/plants, chocolate, baked goodies, tea

Mmmmmmm are you adding any lace to those overalls? I've been thinking how I can girlyfy my work coveralls, lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  5:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I'm going between here and American Idol (am I the only AI maven?).

Pollination - yes; "cages" - not sure. Hubby, while hogging the book, was reading to me (at least the knowledge is being shared) about bagging kind of like Lillian was talking about. And he sounded pretty excited about it. Saving corn seed is his thing this year. Me - I love beans. Those Hidatsa (Ann's DS's Japanese character beans) are gorgeous. I'd love to grow all kinds of beans just to use for decorations. A candle in a jar surrounded by beans - bean-u-tiful!

Which takes me to not having to buy seeds. I'll probably always buy some seeds because there will always be something new I want to try. I'm finding more and more that I am so my father's daughter. However, as you can also tell, we're planning to be serious seed-savers.

Back to AI ~

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  6:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hmmmmm.....you do know that AI also stands for artificial insemination, right?Sorry, but I can't help it! LOL

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  6:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Yea, I know. I almost put that for the pollination thing and then thought, "oh yea, pollination, not insemination" although the end result..........

Told DH about our conversation here tonight and he said, "If Monsanto wants to run seed savers out of business, they're gonna have to run me out too." That's my sweetie!

'Night, all...........sweet dreams...........

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  6:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay, Karen, we are going to have to do something about your funny bone. When I see you at the BBB, I'm am going to re-set it for you.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  6:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Night Mavens, ttfn

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  6:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Wait! I just realized I was up to 1399 posts and I have to go to 1400! Now, good night,;^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  7:24:36 PM  Show Profile
Geez Teresa Sue - yet again, we have all the same weaknesses -mmmm baked goods....
Karen my son got some Mardi Gras beads that were thrown from a float by David Archaletta (sp?), evidently an AI guy...
Randy (DS) was in New Orleans last week helping on a work party to rebuild houses and got to go to a Mardi Gras parade (family friendly of course, he was with my parents:)) anyhow he came home with 35 pounds of Mardi Gras beads. Now Mardi Gras beads are cheap, plastic, and light - imagine if you will, the volume that 35 pounds of those suckers takes up. He was quite pleased with himself, ate alligator, crawfish, gumbo, muffaletta and a po'boy, plus ate red beans and rice without complaining about the beans - wish he'd do that at home - can you tell I'm a little proud of him? I like having a kid with an adventurous palate - maybe a little Maven influence there
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  7:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Holy smokes! Y'all have been busy today while I've been gone!

I got on the library's website today and my S2S book has come in. So maybe by this weekend I will have a better comprehension of what y'all are talking about. I'm getting there. Baby steps.

The squash info was particularly helpful since I'm planning on growing the fortnas, the frenchies, the walthams, and some summer and zucchini squash. Not planning on saving my yellow squash (seed packet from who knows where, given to me by BF's mom, and I think they're hybrids, but they were free, and I need to plant at least SOME of the seeds she gave me...) but I don't want to mess up my other seeds.

OK, I am going on and on and on about squash. Must be sleepy. Goodnight my seed and fabric hound friends!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers

Edited by - DearMildred on Feb 17 2009 7:49:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  8:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Morning Mavens, Teresa Sue, I am with Karen and I would also recommend "seed to Seed", it is the most comprehensive book on preservation and it kind of follows the ideas of "carrots love tomatoes" in the way it is informative, practical and give us all that we need to do it ourselves.
Dawn, good to see your posting.
Have sweet dreams,
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Feb 18 2009 05:09:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  9:05:31 PM  Show Profile
I dug around in my library and found that I have a copy of "Saving Seeds the gardener's guide to growing and storing vegetable and flower seeds" by Marc Rogers. It was printed in 1990.
My question is, is this a good book to use for the information to become a seed saver?
Also who wrote the "Seed Starters Handbook?
I have a small garden (16x18 foot)and we live in a very short season aera. But I still would like to save the seeds that I can.
Have a good night.
Elinor
zone 4
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  04:51:46 AM  Show Profile
oh my ya'll were chatty yesterday!!! I don't even know where to start, but I guess I'll just take up where I left off,...While readin through all of these older mags I scored last weekend, I came across a really good article anout Heritage Farms in one of the Country Journals....while they didn't go into detail about the isolation cages (urg!) they did have some great pics....my hubby says that the IC will be super easy to build! they are basically just simple frames....at heritage farms they built them large enough to cover mulitiple plants, say, 3 or4 tomato plants in one cage...and they kinda sorta did a SFG method, but not really....they just planted the tomatoes and such that were to be isolated very close together!! See, I have no choice this year but to do Iso Cages, which I wanted to do anyways! But, must admit, have never done it before, so should be VERY interesting!
oh...amanda, I came up with something las night!!!! I designed the "Tapron - A Southern Girls Best Friend" I think you'll be needing one come July!!! I love to wear my aprons year round,....but in summer down here....NO WAY!! Far too hot!! So for a cople of weeks I have been designing a hot weather apron that could be worn alone!!! And I finally came up with a design and made one yesterday......Tapron - a tank top cut just below the Boobies (can I say that on Here?).....and a then add a VERY full gathered "skirt" (the fuller, the more air flow!!) made of a very light weight cotton, then just add 2 chunky (big) pockets!! I must say, it turned out just as I pictured it....very cute!! Very cool! And so easy to do....Told my DH that I needed one for everyday of he week, because come July, I won't be wanting to wear the same one 2 days in a row!!! Hubby thinks i should mrket the idea before someone else does....I told him I didn't care, i just needed something to solve the summer heat issue!!!1 Anywhooo....will talk to ya'll later!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning Mavens~
Sounds like everyone is busy and making all thier gardening plans. I am "waiting" for seeds... and building cold frames and garden frames.Anyway, trust this finds everyone happy and healthy.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Kelley it's better than saying "udders"! Haha! Love the tapron!

So if I have five different kinds of tomatoes in the same garden, will they cross-pollinate and make weird little tomato babies? Yes, I realize that I am in seed-saving kindergarden! I was so excited about SFG and when I put that in motion and I wasn't yet thinking of seed saving... before I started hanging out around here I just went to the nursery and bought my plants.

I just don't have a lot of sun, so my garden has to be very compact.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers

Edited by - DearMildred on Feb 18 2009 07:53:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:15:40 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mavens! Just checking in before checking on kiddos schoolwork...

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:16:38 AM  Show Profile
hey again everyone!!! I'm about to get on just ONE of my MANY soapbaoxes....so, readers BEWARE!...lol

Ok....was reading a March 1992 issue of COUNTRYSIDE just now....there is an article written in it by Priscilla Tucker that is an interview with Dr. James Duke. Most of us know about him, and for those of you who don't, you should! Anyhow.....halfway through the article I read this (talking about the FDA authorizing Bristol Meyers to manufacture bark-derived taxol and test it experimentally) "In 1976, the cost ran about $54 million. Today it is $231 million. NO COMPANY WANTS TO SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY ON A COMMON PLANT IT CANNOT CONTROL." Well, this was 17 years ago! And now just look at Monsanto....spending that kind of money on commom plants, that it CAN control, rigt along with every other tom, dick and harry out there!! I know that this is just a little off subject, but it all kind of comes back around to the same thing (sorta - or maybe it just does for me) Government HAS the money to give (as long as it is going to a cause that they see fit.....how many capital hill politicians do you think have an heirloom veggie garden?) And with all of this hype about Obama going grant crazy....do ya'll think something like the Heirloom Mavens could ever be lucky enough to see any of it? Personally, I think it is worth a shot....but....I really don't even know where to start...Like I said, I am just on my soapbox, and my bloodpressure is up, and i'm bouncing all over the place just babbling....lol....to sum it up, those dollar amounts were figure from 17 years ago, and so was the quote by Dr. James Duke...and look at how things have changed!!!...I gotta go..need to lower bloodpressure and go research some stuff...maybe even drink a glass of wine....lol!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page