True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  5:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Kelley,,
your rooster probably needs more than 1 girlfriend to be honest with you. We had a male duck and a female duck..well one gal wasn't enough for him..he turned agressive and I gave the pair of them away..later found out that the man that gave them a home acquired a couple more "girlfriends" for the duck and he became as sweet as anything again..so...before you toss him into the stew pot you may want to get him an extra girlfriend or three.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  5:06:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mavens!

Sorry I didn't check in today - I was in solid meetings ALL day and then had to take the BF to the airport, so I didn't even *gasp* TURN ON the computer till after work!

The good news is, I got my square foot garden all planned out while I was in a long, boring meeting. Guess I was smart to bring my list of seed purchases and my graph paper. :D

I do know one thing, y'all were surely busy today. I got so many notifications, gonna have to turn that thing off. How fantastic is that?!?

Ooooh... bluegrass... LOVE it, miss it, grew up a hillbilly girl... but I have since adjusted to the Oklahoma 'red dirt' music and of course the western swing out here in Oklahoma. Been here almost 4 years.

The BF is moving to California - he got laid off in November and was lucky enough to get a GREAT offer when everybody else has a hiring freeze on - so I am about to enter a long distance relationship (ugh) and may find myself living in California in a year or so. Santa Cruz county. At least that's home to Renee's Garden.

What is coconut coir? wishing I hadn't just bought that peat moss.

Kelley I surely cannot wait to plant my morning glory seeds and pretty up my backyard! I will post pics in a few months.

Amy Grace have fun tonight. :D

Anyway HI to all and see you tomorrow!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  5:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lanna

quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife

Lanna, there is a place down in Palouse that has real organic potting soil. Don't remember the specifics...........

In the town or just the area? I could probably send my mom on a road trip if need be, I'm just hoping to stick closer to home.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys

In the town of Palouse.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  5:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by farmmommy

ooohhh....that is a long time.....but i'll keep my eyes open, will go check again tommorow, and Promise not to forget your mags!!!!

Dawn...I need your help....My rooster has to go in the stew pot ASAP .....he attacked me and my lab tonight....woudn't back down either....went on for 6 or 7 minutes i'd say....my lab was sooo scared....and she weighs 103 lbs...sad, huh? Anyhow....what breed has good gentle roosters?? Poor Speckles is goingto be all by herself now.....but I can't have him acting that way,he's just gotten worse over the last 2 weeks!! Kinda gld I hdn't put in my order at Meyer yet, got too distracted with travel trailer....lol...but I need to...one egg a day isn't enough for us! anywhoo...if you have any suggestions let me know...thanks!

Amy Grace---lucky you, I love bluegrass, and dates with my hubby.....just haven't had one in forever....lol....enjoy!!!

Gentle rooster? lol. I think you have to have some aggresivness to have a decent rooster, at least that was the impression I have always gotten. I know some are more aggresive. Maybe you just need a big stick, a very big stick,

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  04:50:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the "welcome backs"!

Karen - This May will be my first visit to Bakers Creek. I can't wait. I may have to try to go earlier, too. I'm super excited that you will be there, too!
So, where is Hillsboro, MO? I'm near Branson and Springfield (in-between).

Corine - I'm in zone 6. I'll plant both veggies and flowers. I can't not plant flowers. My garden goal this year is to plant something new. I want to try squash, pumpkin and melon for my new stuff, which shouldn't be too hard because I always go with tomatoes, lettuce/spinach and carrots. I love the look of the French varieties of all veggies/fruits, but especially the squash, pumpkin and melon. I haven't planted any of these before. I want to try onions and garlic, too. I cook with these all the time, so I don't know why I haven't grown them before. This may be silly, but I want the kind I can braid in storage. I love the way this looks! I also want to get a herb garden started.

So, tell me ladies...I was trying to read about the henhouse and sisterhood. How do I join a specific group?

Edited by - yellojewl on Feb 13 2009 04:54:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  05:26:07 AM  Show Profile
OH goody! More Mavens! A big hello from your Mother Hen here in Ohio!! oooooweeeee...can you feel it girls?

Kelley: Rooster. I agree with Tina, one roo to at least 10 hens. If you can't afford a larger flock put him in the stew pot and just have layers. I dont have a roo anymore. Yummmers! I know, kinda gross.

I dont know if I'm going to work a full day today or not. If I get to pop in later then you will know that I didn't. However, I will probably have a date night with my computer on Sat since I can guarantee my and hubby won't be doing anything spectacular.

Very windy here too. We have a large pine about to topple over and the wind uprooted a locust tree. Can't say I'm upset cuz I hated mowing under that thing. It never failed to "stick" me with those long spikes. As far as I'm concerned, one down, one to go. Bring on the wind!

MY LETTUCE CAME UP ALREADY! I just planted it this last Saturday! Wild huh? Well, it IS 82 degrees in this house with the wood burner going.

Corrine, I have an extra sticker for you. I also got a "plowin' thru' one tha I'm waiting on a a good day to wash the Nox and apply, yet, another sticker. Haha.

I guess I should go now. I have to work for a living... who decided that??? Hubby is off on an adventure to Michigan to pick up some more bred heifers. So I'm on my own---as usual!

C-YA!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  06:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens!

I nominate Ann's DD12 as our first official mavenette for having the heart and vision of a maven. WOO HOO!

Kelley, here's a story from my teaching days. One of my friends taught second grade and was giving them a math lesson. She was doing fine until she used the following example: "If you have one hen and one rooster...." She didn't get any further. This is a farming community and several hands shot up. "You can't have just one hen. You've gotta have a bunch. The rooster'll kill 'em if you just got one." Obviously Betty was a city gal.

Amy Grace, how was date night?

Amanda, way to turn a boring meeting into a productive one, at least on a personal level

Amber, the Baker Creek Spring Festival should be really good, speakers, music, etc. I'll have to do a little back-tracking but another farmgirl from Kansas says she goes every year. There's no telling how many of us will be there. Hillsboro is about an hour south of St. Louis, 10 minutes west of Festus (if you know where that is) and less than 4 hours away from Baker Creek. Branson is one of our favorite vacation spots. Actually, Silver Dollar City, not the shows, although I'm hoping to see Dixie Stampede sometime.

Here's the link for sisterhood info - http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/farmgirl-sisterhood/ To be a maven you just need to post here - ta da! you're a maven! Everyone has access to reading the posts in the henhouse but you need to be in the sisterhood to post there. Here's a link to the Mavens Beginners Guide http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=582 It still needs a little updating (Amy Grace is our badge coordinator now and Cheryl is in charge of the book club) but it should give you a good overview. FYI: since you're planning on starting an herb garden, the book we're currently reading is Carrots Love Tomatoes. It's about companion planting and herbs are great companion plants in the garden.

Annika, have you received test results yet for your dad?

To the rest of you marvelous mavens, have a great day!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  06:43:17 AM  Show Profile
Welcome~Amber!!!!!

Dawn~who came up with the idea of this working away from home. It's ridiculous. Down with the industrial revolution. LOL

Kelley~I hope you get that package soon. Maybe it went by way of China.

Ann~welcome to the group. Your dd sounds wonderful. How awesome for them to be involved and care about our seeds and food.

I just can't wait for my seeds to come in now. I can't wait to get my hands in the dirt.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  06:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Amber and Ann, please email me with your info, address, phone number if you accept to share it, birthday date and growing zone.
I will add them to the list of the Mavens and will send the list out again to every body, including to you too,
Ann, welcome to the Mavens Heavens, it is so good to see the words are sprouting out about seeds preservation and heirlooms.
Amber, I have french pumpkins and melons heirlooms to share if you are interested.
Karen did you get the list I've send you last night ?
to all of you Mavens, have a great day.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Morning Mavens,

Annika I love ya and hope all is going well for your Dad. Take care of yourself.

Y'all are probably wondering where your Maven badges are

Here's the deal. A gal I know here has a small shop here in town. She does handquilting, has some gifty things that people bring in on consignment( antiques, dishes, teacups, needlework, etc.)plus she carries some needlework and quilting supplies and fabric. Well, last summer she and I went together and bought and entire line of reproduction Civil War fabric to sell in her shop. We decided we would do a block of the month with that fabric. We had several of her regular customers sign up for it. It has been a nightmare Right off the get go, we had problems with the pattern we choose(a large basket block, indicitive of the Civil War period) we emailed the designer, we talked with her on the phone,(she's in Fla)etc, and we ended up having to redraft the pattern. So I've been scrambling to get 36 different blocks cut out for these customers, all using my share of the fabric. It has been a challenge because most of the fabric is of a medium hue, and for those of you who don't quilt, you really need dark, medium, and light hued fabric to make a design work. I have....gasp....had to dip into my own stash, lol This little project has taken all, and I mean all, of my time for the last month. I don't know how much longer I will be on it but I am trying to get it finished up so I can get on with other things! Like our Maven badges!!!!! So bear with me okay?

Corinne dear, are you recieving my emails? I keep getting some back.

Cheer up dearies, it's just SPRING SNOW
Love ya, ttfn

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, hang on there, you will be able to finish with this daunting project very soon I am sure. I can imagine how difficult it has been to dig in your stash to make it work. By the way, why did you have to use your part of the collection ? Was your friend part already gone in the trying to make the pattern work ?
I got one email from you yesterday, an answer to the one I've sent you and nothing the days before or even after that. Did you get the new lists I've sent to all the Mavens?
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I recieved the lists. I'm wondering who I'm having a problem with their emails....hmmmm.

Yes, my friend has 30 different blocks of her own to do! I had to dig into my stash to have the contrast I needed for basket handles and feet against the background. I will be so glad when this is done. I've just been a nervous wreak, trying to get it figured out. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just for me, but I don't want to dissapoint anyone who is buying blocks! I should never had agreed to do this, especially as it has taken all my time that I wanted to work on my own projects before I have to go back to work at the cemetery, next MONTH! ugh!

Oh, well the sun is shining at least and I will take some fresh air and sunshine breaks to get me through, lol. After all, I did commit to it and I will put on my big girl panties and get'r done, lol. No more whining from me, just didn't want everyone wondering where their badges were. Under yards and yards of fabric!!! LOL

love ya, ttfn

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Corinne, yes, I did receive your e-mail. Thank you so much.

TS, keep on plowin' thru and you'll get to the end of the row eventually. Until then, we're here rootin' for ya. Maybe we need to throw a little compost your way so you feel more productive.....

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Compost is good,.......hahaha Speaking of compost I was noticing I really need to turn mine, hmmmm...to bad it's FROZEN!LOL

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Hahahaha Karen you are funny.
I know when we agree to do something and it turns out to be way more difficult that what it looked like at first, there is always a lesson in the making for myself.
Teresa Sue, you will be fine girl. Whine all that you want, sometimes it is just good to let it out of our system and we are here for you, to comfort and listen and try to make you laugh.
Next month is as far as next month, enjoy today's joys.
Love ya.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Feb 13 2009 07:55:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
You are sooooo right Corinne. I knew there was a reason I loved you!!! You always, always know the right thing to say to one of us when we need it, and you do it in a second language!!!!lol I am soooo lucky to have you for a friend.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Good morning gals!

I was just thinkin' that I need to go to the coffee shop and get a bag of coffee grounds for the compost... or is that just an excuse to splurge on a chai latter? Hey, two birds, one stone!

Ruth I think we're all in that boat - ready for spring dirt!

Has anybody ever done the winter sowing thing? www.wintersown.org sent me a TON of FREE seeds and some instructions, and I am thinking about making myself some newspaper seed pots this weekend and giving it a whirl.

Figured I could make my own mini-coldframes with some of the misc recyclables I have piling up in the garage. Will probably go ahead and start my tomatoes inside though - I'm a little bit chicken on that one.

What do y'all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile
okay, I need the link to small town living chat/blof thing. Soon

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
www.stliving.net

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  08:03:44 AM  Show Profile
no...how can I get to my page from work? and teh chat thingie?

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
If you scroll down the green bar to "Visit the Small Town Living Network for Videos Photos and Blogs" and click there, doesn't that get you to the page where you can click on the chat button? I'm confused.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  08:21:41 AM  Show Profile
http://smalltownliving.ning.com/
This page has the chat thingy one it, is this what you need?
Still no word on my dad's test...we are still waiting

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  08:57:35 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  10:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon -

This is the most time in months I have had for the computer. We are off school today, so I'm taking advantage!

Corinne - I have sent you the email with my information. Thanks much for the seed sharing offer.

Karen - I definitely know STL, and I think I know Festus. We either go through when we go to/from STL, or I have seen it on a sign:-) I love SDC, too. I wish I could go more often. I tend to veer the other way (Springfield) more often though. Branson is so busy during the season, it's hard to maneuver through the traffic.

-Amber

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  10:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi! Annika~Praying for your dad. How are you doing?

Amanda~I think it's best to start tomatoes and peppers inside because they need the soil to be warm. Cold frames are great. I think lettuces and spinach do well in them.

I love the winter sown site. I haven't gotten any seeds from them though.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page